Rex reacts to defense's poor performance.

jl12

Rex Ryan critical of rookie Dee Milliner nfpost-logo_023517.gifBy Aaron Wilson | National Football Post – 1 hour 15 minutes ago
  •  

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan was critical of the play of rookie cornerback Dee Milliner and the defense in general. He singled out the first-round draft pick from Alabama.

“Our defensive intensity in the first half I thought not to Jets standards, to New York Jets standards certainly (with) the poor tackling,” Ryan told reporters. “I never liked the way we competed on the outside to start with, which is another trademark of us.”

As for Milliner, Ryan said: “I didn’t like the way we competed and challenged on the outside — not so much (Antonio) Cromartie, but from Dee (Milliner). When we call on him, I want him to get up there. Let’s go. Let’s play.”

Ryan was upset about how easy a time Jackonville Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert had in picking apart his defense.

“I“I don’t understand it," Ryan said. "Clearly, our focus has been good in practice and things like that. It just seemed like, for whatever reason, it wasn’t there. Poor tackling was a great indication of it. I was a little upset with some of the mistakes we made.”

Archived