Jets News 9-20

flgreen

Rex Ryan: Jets ‘Not Intimidated’ By 3 Straight Road Games

September 20, 2011 6:24 AM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (WFAN/AP) — New York’s upcoming stretch may have some fans upset, but Brandon Moore refuses to look too far ahead on the Jets’ schedule.

The veteran guard knows a cross-country flight to play the Oakland Raiders on Sunday is next on the itinerary. Beyond that, he’ll deal with packing for the team’s other upcoming road trips when the time comes.

“I’m just worried about Oakland,” Moore said Monday. “Who’s after that?”

A game at Baltimore, followed by a big division matchup at New England.

“Well,” Moore said, “Oakland’s next week.”

The Jets opened with two straight home wins, but face an early-season test in which they’ll hit the road for three consecutive weeks — a stretch they haven’t seen in the regular season since the strike-shortened 1982 season.

Three straight road trips is nothing new for New York, though, after the Jets ended the last two seasons doing exactly that on their way to two straight AFC championship games.

“We’re not intimidated by any surroundings that we go into,” coach Rex Ryan said.

They’ve been a solid team away from home under Ryan, going 11-5 in the regular season on the road in his first two years as coach. The Jets are also 4-2 in the playoffs during that stretch.

“If you bring a good team with you, you have a chance,” Ryan said. “I think that’s the big thing, and that’s what we bring to the road. We’re bringing a good football team with us.”

And, they’re already preparing the players for the trip to Oakland on Friday. There are little reminders posted, telling them to get 8 hours of sleep each night and to make sure they’re drinking plenty of water.

“We’ve just got to focus on Oakland, and that’s it,” cornerback Antonio Cromartie said. “We have to make sure we come in and prepare for what we need to throughout the entire week and get ready for a long trip.”

The Jets’ next home game is Oct. 17 against Miami — a stretch of nearly a month.

“We know what it takes,” Ryan said. “We know how to prepare for going to the West Coast, so we’re confident on the road. But, we’d much rather play the game at home.”

It’s a crucial stretch so early in the season, and the Jets know there’s still plenty of room for improvement, despite a 2-0 start. Mark Sanchez and the offense want to get more consistent early in games and establish the running game, while the defense wants to shut down opponents the way it stifled Jacksonville on Sunday in a 32-3 victory.

“We did what we had to do,” wide receiver Santonio Holmes said. “I think we had a pretty good week of practice. Everybody was on key, making the right plays. We had a few penalties here and there that stopped a few drives later in the game, but to start the game the way we wanted to was big, and the defense, those guys played tremendous, lights out, from the beginning of the game.”

Ryan challenged the offense at the team hotel Saturday night, telling his players that if the Jets won the coin toss, he would put the ball in their hands for a change. The defensive-minded coach usually defers, but wanted to see his offense get off to a quick start, and Sanchez & Co. certainly delivered.

Sanchez efficiently moved the ball down the field, and Holmes completed the drive by leaping in the end zone for a terrific 17-yard catch that ended New York’s skid of 16 games without a first-quarter touchdown.

“When I saw the stats and all that jazz, it was like, ‘I know we’re much better than this,’” Ryan said. “And, after they scored, they were kind of giving me the business. That’s why our defense had to go out and score on their first possession.”

That came when rookie defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson flung Jaguars quarterback Luke McCown to the turf for a safety on Jacksonville’s third play from scrimmage. New York ended up intercepting McCown four times, including two by Cromartie, and showed flashes of dominance — albeit against an offense that had few weapons and a career backup at quarterback.

It was at least a confidence booster after the Jets allowed 390 yards of offense in the season-opening win against Dallas.

“It was a nice bounce back,” Cromartie said. “We just want to always go out there and prove that we’re the best, and I know Rex, that’s what he wants for us, so for us to go out and do that, it speaks a lot of volumes.”

After running the ball just 16 times against the Cowboys, the Jets doubled that Sunday and returned to the “Ground-and-Pound” approach that Ryan is so fond of. The results were modest — 101 yards for a 3.2 average per carry — but New York is optimistic about the prospects of its running game.

“I thought it was slightly better, but I’m not concerned with that,” Moore said. “That’ll get better as the season goes. We’ll be OK.”

The Jets will likely be without All-Pro center Nick Mangold, who has a high ankle sprain. But, the Raiders (1-1) are ranked 27th in the NFL against the run after giving up 217 yards rushing in a 38-35 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday — a game in which Oakland gave up five touchdowns on five second-half drives.

“Oakland lost a nail-biter at the end of the game, so I know those guys are going to be ready to play,” Holmes said. “We’ve got to be on top of our Ps and Qs this week, knowing we’ve got a short week with traveling and not let anything affect us, whether it’s injuries or the whole travel time.”

Nick Mangold out two-to-three weeks with high ankle sprain, Jets turn to reserve center Colin Baxter

BY Kevin Armstrong and Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 4:00 AM

His long brown locks pulled back, the bruises on his right biceps fresh, Colin Baxter - the Jets' bearded reserve center - began his first week as the team's starter the way he had the previous two, eating breakfast and watching game tape at the team's facility.

"The only difference was I was on the film," Baxter said Monday.

Forced into active duty when All-Pro center Nick Mangold suffered a high right ankle sprain early in the Jets' 32-3 rout of Jacksonville, Baxter, 24, snapped the ball to quarterback Mark Sanchez twice on the sideline. He then fought the muscle memory of steps and hand placement he employed with the Chargers in training camp, overcame an early snap and absorbed a bull rush. A day later, coach Rex Ryan expressed confidence in him, saying he was comfortable with Baxter.

"I was proud of the way he jumped in there," Ryan said. "Whether it's Nick or Baxter, we go on. There's no excuses."

Ryan's prognosis for Mangold was "very iffy" regarding Sunday's game against the Oakland Raiders, adding that the center, now in his sixth season, has never missed a game. A source said Mangold's recovery "could be a while." Mangold, who did not return to the game after undergoing X-rays that came up negative for a break, walked on crutches and wore a black walking brace after the victory. An MRI Monday morning confirmed the sprain. The estimated timetable of his recovery is 2-3 weeks, as first reported by the Daily News.

"It's crazy, man," said Baxter, who shoveled gravel and helped renovate his in-laws' backyard in Scottsdale, Ariz., in exchange for free rent during the lockout before camp. "It just goes to show if you keep working at it, you'll get your shot. For some sooner, some later. Mine just happened sooner."

Signed to a contract on Sept. 4, a day after being released by the Chargers, Baxter, - who went undrafted, in part, due to concerns about surgery on to repair meniscus in his right knee last December - jumped on a flight east and landed with the Jets. He added depth to a unit depleted by the versatile reserve Rob Turner's broken right leg during the preseason opener. Filling in for Mangold, however, will be much more demanding. "I'm definitely going to be in his (Sanchez's) ear this week," said Baxter, who grew up a Raiders fan in Rolling Hills, Calif., when the team was based in Los Angeles.

Ryan said left guard Matt Slauson would serve as the backup center behind Baxter against the Raiders on Sunday, and Caleb Schlauderaff would play left guard if Slauson was moved to center. Right guard Brandon Moore said he and Slauson would assume line calls and ensure a stability with Mangold, the regular caller, missing.

"We'll probably discuss more in the room than we usually do on technique and calls," Moore said. "We've gotta be consistent for 60 minutes."

On the top shelf of Baxter's locker Monday were three green towels and a well-stuffed playbook binder. He held a bottle of a sports drink in his right hand, and prepared for an appearance with ESPN Radio at a bar and restaurant in Morristown. In between, he promised to immerse himself further in the playbook's nuances.

"We'll meet early, stay late," Moore said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/20/2011-09-20_nicks_out_23_weeks.html#ixzz1YUOCwecE

Plaxico Burress' demeanor a post-game focus, but CBS, Mark Sanchez both miss the boat on Jets WR

Bob Raissman

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 4:00 AM

For a guy who didn't catch a pass Sunday, Plaxico Burress had one of the greatest days of his career - with the media, that is.

Burress has been described as aloof, sullen, noncommunicative and living in his own world. He has worked hard to earn those tags. Now, give the man credit. After playing the role of mannequin in the Jets' 32-3 victory over Jacksonville, Burress spoon fed enough evidence to media seals allowing them to report, to friend and foe alike, that he is showing signs of turning over a new leaf.

His decision to stay positive about Mark Sanchez not throwing the ball to him has been interpreted as a powerful statement. After watching Burress' locker room session, how can anyone think differently? Okay, so considering the flap he caused in a recent magazine article, and other post-jail interviews, this is a grand leap of faith. At least Sunday he wasn't trashing Tom Coughlin or Eli Manning. He was commenting on what took place on a football field.

Burress' reaction to being blanked has produced goodwill from assorted notebooks and microphones portraying him as changed, older, wiser. Burress has suddenly become Yodaesque.

All was not gaga. The praise was accompanied by qualifiers. When one is aware of Burress' history of reacting badly to quarterbacks who can't get him the ball, it's best to cover one's backside.

"Let's see how long he stays that way without getting a catch," Joe Klecko, moments after watching Burress' command performance with the media, said on SportsNet New York.

Burress is no Rex Ryan. He ain't even Jerry Manuel. Plax didn't leave anyone laughing Sunday. He didn't have to. His explanations were convincing. No receptions, no big deal. Sanchez misses him when he's wide open, no sweat.

This is Plax the we guy. Burress may not be on a mission, but this was the first step in turning critics into believers. Hallelujah!

Far from adversarial, the televised session produced drama. A welcome relief. And a reward for those who hung around for the postgame after watching a wire-to-wire blowout. The questions were pointed enough to wonder if Burress would suddenly have the urge to set someone straight.

"At what point does frustration creep in?" he was asked.

"What were you thinking when that ball (thrown by Mark Sanchez) was coming toward you?"

A reporter told Burress, "In the past you would go to the sidelines waving your hands on a play like that (when Sanchez's pass sailed over his head)."

None of the questions, or references to selfish behavior, threw Burress off his game. He was given ample opportunity to explain how he was double-covered. The fact Burress used to be able to beat that coverage was mentioned, too. With the quality of Jets receivers his role of "decoy" is now applauded.

With all the focus and emphasis on the human interest side of Burress, a guy getting a second chance after serving nearly two years in jail, there hasn't been a whole lot of time and space devoted to debating - or at least wondering - what he actually has left. When Burress produces an Academy Award-winning postgame performance, he again shifts the focus.

Against the Jags, there was no visual evidence provided for anyone interested in seeing how Burress is doing. CBS instituted its Burress Blackout. Network brainiacs must think Burress is still in jail and were not inclined to request permission from the warden to put a camera on him.

Seriously though, for whatever reason, Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf, who called the game, had little to say about Burress. He was hardly mentioned in the first half. If you hadn't seen him on the TV screen, you wouldn't have even known he was in the game. The network's excuse will be that Sanchez didn't throw a pass Burress' way until the fourth quarter.

But with all the interest Burress' story has generated, CBS should have paid some attention to him. A few first-half replays of him being doubled would have sufficed.

Burress' reaction to how he was/wasn't used Sunday will provide a benchmark for assessing his attitude and demeanor moving forward. On SNY, Adam Schein accused the reporters who interviewed Burress of "trying to evoke the monsters we saw" when he "bitched and moaned" while a member of the the Steelers and Giants.

Monsters? That's a little strong. Schein did identify what's lingering in the back of some minds when he said: "If he (Burress) is held in check against New England, held in check against Baltimore, next week against Oakland, maybe Mount Burress will erupt at some point."

Proving some things just don't change.

twitter.com/nydnraiss

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/20/2011-09-20_sanchez__cbs_miss_on_plaxico.html#ixzz1YUOqhW7Y

Rex Ryan insists he wants Plaxico Burress to succeed, says coverage dictated lack of targets

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 5:38 AM

After Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez targeted Plaxico Burress just twice Sunday afternoon in the 32-3 romp over the Jacksonville Jaguars, Rex Ryan insisted he felt the worst about failing to get the veteran wideout the ball.

"I was more frustrated about it than anybody, because I wanted to see him catch some passes," Ryan said. "I think we all do. But sometimes the coverage dictates it a little bit."

Ryan reiterated that Burress was double-teamed most downs, a respect level earned during the wide receiver's seasons with the Giants that remains fresh in opponents' heads even two years removed from his previous stint in the NFL.

"It's interesting when you look at Plax," Ryan said. "Here's a guy that's been out of football for two years. Let's see the kind of respect people have for him. Almost every single snap in that game, he was doubled, almost every single snap. Does he still have the respect and everything else? Absolutely."

Ryan also said Sanchez, hit on one of the attempts to Burress, was "fine" and had "a bruise or something".

HOLMES IMPROVEMENT

WR Santonio Holmes said he felt fine Sunday despite being listed as questionable due to a knee and quad injury he endured while running during practice earlier in the week.

Holmes made an immediate impact, beating Jaguars cornerback William Middleton on a triple move the receiving corps calls "Dino" as he faked left and right and turned left to finish off the touchdown with what he called "a perfect pass" from Sanchez.

"I told (Sanchez), 'Anytime you throw it up in the end zone near 10, he can guarantee I'm going to come down with a touchdown,'" he said.

RETURNING TO CROMARTIE

Impressed by the 42.5 yards per return that cornerback Antonio Cromartie averaged on kickoffs on Sunday, Ryan issued him a green light.

"He can bring it in from the parking lot," Ryan said.

CUTTING TIES

The Jets released G Trevor Canfield and CB Julian Posey from the practice squad.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/20/2011-09-20_rex_takes_blame_for_not_passing_enough_to_plax.html#ixzz1YUP77QH1

Jets' Mangold could miss next 2-3 weeks

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 5:17 AM, September 20, 2011

Posted: 2:52 AM, September 20, 2011

More Print

The last time the Jets played a game that counted without Nick Mangold, Herm Edwards was the head coach and Pete Kendall was their starting center.

That's a long way of saying -- it's been a while.

But Sunday in Oakland, the Jets will have a different starting center for the first time since that Jan. 1, 2006, game against the Bills. An MRI exam yesterday showed Mangold has a high right ankle sprain, and a source said the Jets expect Mangold to miss two to three weeks, although Jets coach Rex Ryan said Mangold believes he can still play Sunday.

OFF CENTER: Nick Mangold is expected to miss as much as two to three weeks with a high ankle sprain suffered Sunday, although Jets coach Rex Ryan wouldn't rule out a quicker return. 'He's a tough guy,' Ryan said.

ap

OFF CENTER: Nick Mangold is expected to miss as much as two to three weeks with a high ankle sprain suffered Sunday, although Jets coach Rex Ryan wouldn't rule out a quicker return. 'He's a tough guy,' Ryan said.

"I would say his status for the game would be, I would assume, very iffy," Ryan said. "I don't think it looks very good as far as playing this week. But, with that being said, he thinks he can go. He's started 80-some games in a row. We'll see how it progresses. I wouldn't count him out. He's a tough guy."

The three-time Pro Bowl center has started all 89 regular-season and playoff games since the Jets drafted him in the first round of the 2006 Draft.

Jaguars linebacker Derek Smith landed on Mangold's leg late in the first quarter of Sunday's 32-3 Jets win, and Mangold never returned to the game.

With Mangold out, the Jets will turn to rookie Colin Baxter, who played three quarters Sunday. The Jets picked up Baxter two weeks ago after the Chargers released him. The undrafted free agent out of Arizona said he will spend extra time studying and practicing this week to prepare for the Raiders.

"It's crazy, man," Baxter said. "I don't know what else to say. It just goes to show that you keep working at it and you'll get your shot -- some sooner, some later. Mine just happens to be sooner."

Mangold, 27, initiates The Jets' line calls and has been a rock At his position. Ryan compared losing Mangold to last season, when cornerback Darrelle Revis pulled his hamstring in the second game of the season and missed three games.

"The way Darrelle Revis is the best cornerback in football and it's indisputable, the same thing you can say about Nick Mangold as a center," Ryan said. "But we'll find ways to get it done. That's just what we do. That's the New York Jets. When you've got that decal on your helmet, you've got to step up and do the job."

Baxter started 49 straight games at Arizona. His college coach, Mike Stoops, said Baxter will be fine.

"He's a very tough competitor," Stoops told The Post. "He fits in to what Rex is doing there. I think he'll play great. The kid has a lot of character and toughness."

Ryan said he is happy with the players on the roster, but it would not be surprising if the Jets added another offensive lineman. Depth has been a problem since Rob Turner broke his ankle in the first preseason game last month.

Left guard Matt Slauson will back up Baxter and Caleb Schlauderaff would be the backup guard. Slauson, who took three snaps at center as a rookie in 2009, said the 24-year-old Baxter impressed him Sunday.

"I learned that he has a lot better grasp of the offense than a lot of people thought," Slauson said. "When Nick went down, everybody thought like, 'Wow. This is the one thing that we couldn't have in our line. We can't have anybody hurt because our backups are so new, so young, they aren't really ready yet.' Colin showed he's definitely ready."

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/out_in_the_gold_FXwpUJja4ak2vec4wzB8KP#ixzz1YUPTU045

Next three weeks will reveal a lot

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 3:12 AM, September 20, 2011

Posted: 2:58 AM, September 20, 2011

More Print

headshotSteve Serby

Now it is time for Rex Ryan and the Jets to star in their version of the Road Warriors.

"We feel like we're kind of built for the road," guard Matt Slauson said. "Over the last two years, I think we've had a better road record (15-7 including playoffs) than home (9-7), so being on the road doesn't really scare us at all."

Why do you feel like you're built for the road?

"Just 'cause as a team, we overcome adversity really well," Slauson said. "If things aren't going our way, it's pretty easy for us to flip a switch. We don't let the crowd get to us."

DROPPIN' IN: Santonio Holmes and the Jets plan to be rude guests on their upcoming visits to Oakland, Baltimore and New England.

Reuters

DROPPIN' IN: Santonio Holmes and the Jets plan to be rude guests on their upcoming visits to Oakland, Baltimore and New England.

First stop . . .

OAKLAND

Al Davis' Commitment to Speed has never relented. Darren McFadden has a chance to be a bigger Marcus Allen. Wide receiver Danarious Moore looks like everything Darrius Heyward-Bey was supposed to be. Everyone on the bully-boy defensive line apparently thinks he's Ben Davidson. Middle linebacker Rolando McClain will have a chance to feast on Shonn Greene with Nick Mangold out. But hey, no Nnamdi. Plaxico Burress against single coverage? Throw him the ball early and often. A word of caution: Jason Campbell is no Daryle Lamonica, but he's no JaMarcus Russell or Luke McCown, either. It's new coach Hue Jackson's first game defending the Black Hole. No hot dogs for Mark Sanchez.

"It's a hostile environment," Slauson said.

I asked Slauson: "When you think of the old-time Oakland Raiders, what do you think of?"

He smiled and said: "Huge, burly offensive linemen with massive beards. Crazy fans dressed up in God-knows-what. I mean, they were an incredibly physical team."

If you look around your locker room, how many guys would have been natural Oakland Raiders?

"I can think of five in our offensive line," Slauson said. "We got some nasty guys on our line. You watch a lot of plays from [sunday]. Brandon [Moore]? He was gettin' after guys like just Oakland-style. He was really grindin' on guys. Obviously me and Nick, we have the look to play there . . . Wayne's [Hunter] a big, scary guy so . . ."

How about on defense?

"Oh yeah, definitely," Slauson said. "Sione [Pouha] and [Mike] DeVito, they're huge, they're monsters. I hate playing against them every day. Our backers talk a lot of trash, so that fits right in there."

And corners who can play man-to-man. "Best in the business," Slauson said.

BALTIMORE

Ryan will want revenge for last year's season-opening 10-9 home loss. Baxter will find himself staring up at Haloti Ngata and Ray Lewis. Hunter will have to figure out a way to keep Terrell Suggs off Sanchez. Joe Flacco is a year further along than Sanchez and has Ray Rice to lean on.

"We have Oakland to deal with, so we aren't looking ahead to them," Slauson said.

OK, let's look back: How physical was the Ravens game last year?

"It was very physical," Slauson said. "I came out of that game, and I hurt."

Possible roadblock: It is a Sunday night primetime clash right before the Ravens' bye week. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick will be waiting for the Jets. Advantage, Ravens.

"That isn't an issue for us, I don't think," Slauson said. "It's not going to be like, 'Oh, we have New England, so let's take it easy this week.' "

NEW ENGLAND

No way Mangold misses this one. The Jets' Ground and Pound is averaging 3.0 yards, 27th in the league. Greene is averaging 2.9 yards. It might be a good idea to keep Brady off the field.

"I think we're close," Jets coach Rex Ryan said. "I have confidence our running game will take off."

I asked Moore about this three-game stretch.

"I'm just worried about Oakland," he said. "Who's after that?"

Baltimore.

"Oh. And then the third one is?"

New England.

"Oh.

"Oakland's next week so . . ."

Road Warriors, not Road Worriers.

steve.serby@nypost.com

Archived