Jets News 10-24

flgreen

Jets' LaDainian Tomlinson fights illness to play against San Diego Chargers, his former team

Published: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 11:19 PM Updated: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 11:26 PM

LaDainian Tomlinson had chills and nausea and all the unpleasant flu-like symptoms. But he was piped full of IVs and medicine before today’s 27-21 win against the San Diego Chargers, determined not to miss the rematch with the team for which he played nine seasons.

Before leaving late in the third quarter, the Jets' veteran running back was able to start the game, touch the ball eight times and get the closure he said he still needed — with a dose of “satisfaction” from the victory.

“Officially, I can really close that chapter, and really move on,” Tomlinson said. “Just because I was able to face them, play against them, and to win certainly helps. It feels good.”

Tomlinson had eight 1,000-yard seasons for the Chargers before being released in February 2010.

He then signed a two-year deal with the Jets.

“The closure of facing them was kind of like some huge obstacle out there you haven’t faced yet,” Tomlinson said. “To finally face that, and overcome it, and get a win, and send them on a long flight back home with a loss. … I’m glad it’s over.”

Tomlinson had five carries for 14 rushing yards and three catches for 37 yards before exiting the game when he was too weak to even stand on the sidelines.

“The doctors got me through as much of the game as they could,” Tomlinson said. “I was able to get through almost three quarters, but eventually that flu, taking hits, it just drained me.”

Rex Ryan and Norv Turner exchanged a handshake before the game, signaling that there was no rift after Ryan’s accidental shot at the San Diego coach last week. Ryan said he would have had “a couple of rings” if the Chargers had hired him as their head coach in 2007.

CB Darrelle Revis said his heated exchange during an interview with WFAN host Mike Francesa on Friday, which ended in a Jets PR staffer instructing Revis to hang up, was “nothing personal.”

Revis did not like that Francesa was needling him about a pass-interference non-call on his pick-six against Miami, two days before the Chargers game. He did not rule out appearing on the show again, though.

“I don’t know; we’d have to see what happens in the future with that,” Revis said. “I don’t dislike Mike. He had his opinion, and I had mine. I stood on mine, and he stood on his, and it kind of got blown out of proportion.”

• C Nick Mangold had an uncharacteristic three penalties against San Diego, one which negated a Santonio Holmes TD. Ryan said a factor is Mangold still not being healthy from a high ankle sprain that kept him out two games.

• Rookie NT Kenrick Ellis, who started for Mike DeVito (knee), left the game in the first quarter with an ankle injury. DeVito said he has an MCL sprain and will be fine for the Buffalo game.

LB David Harris was sidelined for a few series with what he said was an ankle sprain (not a high ankle sprain) but came back in the second half. He said the injury calmed down after he came back in and he does not need additional tests.

Jets offensive consultant Tom Moore, who has been working from his home in South Carolina, was at today’s game.

DeVito (knee), CB Isaiah Trufant (hamstring), QB Kevin O’Connell, WR Eron Riley, RB Bilal Powell, LB Garrett McIntyre and C Colin Baxter were inactive.

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Jets' Shonn Greene helps offense get back to the grind in win over Chargers

Published: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 10:24 PM Updated: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 10:32 PM

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Jets guard Brandon Moore realized how peculiar it sounded when the team claimed things were getting back to normal after a Week 5 loss to the New England Patriots. But on film, there were signs in the running game that led him to believe days like today weren’t so far off.

“You guys laughed at us after the New England loss when Rex (Ryan) said we were getting better, showed signs that we were getting closer to Jet football,” Moore said after today’s 27-21 victory over the San Diego Chargers. “But you can look at the film and (see) we were getting back.

“Now this, it came together for the most part. We’re just kind of streaming along, staying with that physical attack and style on offense, getting downhill runs…and moving people off the ball. It was a good day.”

Moore was referring to the first 100-yard game for Shonn Greene since Oct. 3, 2010 — a game in which the Jets won the time-of-possession battle and collected 10 of their 25 first downs on the ground.

Amid a steady pounding through four quarters, guard Matt Slauson said he saw the spark in the team’s “bell cow” rusher.

“(Greene) ran hard. He ran really hard,” Slauson said.

“Our running game got going, we started breaking out some of those big runs, which is something we’ve been lacking, and the blocking down field, the second-level blocks, the receivers blocking, everybody was doing a phenomenal job.”

Greene, who exited the game briefly in the fourth quarter, said that he just “tweaked” his right foot and that he’ll be fine, aside from some lingering soreness.

He finished with 112 yards in total, averaging 5.6 yards per carry.

It was a feeling quarterback Mark Sanchez hadn’t experienced in a while. He typically gauges the success of the run game on how many times he has to actually chase Greene downfield after a handoff or toss.

When Greene ripped off a 24-yard gain on the team’s second drive, pushing them into Chargers territory and setting up the Jets for their first points of the game, Sanchez could tell that the run game was working.

“They were hard-fought yards,” Sanchez said. “Shonn was punishing the second-level defenders.”

Greene refused to attach any significance to reaching the century mark for the first time this season. He gave all the credit to the offensive line and said that he didn’t do anything differently from previous weeks.

But he did agree with Moore, that, 162 net rushing yards later, it seems like a missing part of the team’s identity has returned.

Said Greene: “That’s us, you know?”

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com

Jets vs. Chargers: Darrelle Revis isn't the only Jets defender to come up big

Published: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 9:21 PM Updated: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 10:24 PM

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Word spread quickly around the Jets’ locker room after linebacker Calvin Pace caught a sound bite from an NFL Network show featuring former Pro Bowler and current analyst Warren Sapp.

The Jets’ defense, Sapp claimed, was composed of 10 average players and Darrelle Revis, the linchpin that was bolstering their credibility.

“You gotta look at it from Calvin’s point of view,” said Revis, who heard about Sapp’s comments after a 27-21 win over the San Diego Chargers this afternoon. “From what (Pace) is looking at, he doesn’t think of himself as an average person, and he said that it fueled him.

“And to me, too, as a team player being part of this team I’m like, no, I’m upset that you said that and you put down my teammates. You said they don’t execute and they don’t make plays, either.”

Revis did have another interception and lengthy return — his second in as many games — but as the Jets blanketed a lively Chargers offense, shutting them out in a decisive second half, it was an effort 11 players strong. In the final 30 minutes, the Chargers went 1-for-7 on third downs after starting the game 6-for-7. They rushed for 30 yards after going for 66 the half before. San Diego also saw its first down total — 11 in the first half — shrink to just five in the remaining two quarters.

“(Coach) Rex (Ryan) told us as the defense, we’ve got to step it up, come out after the half and make sure we get the three-and-out,” defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson said. “And that’s what we did and gave us a little momentum; as you can see, we came out with the victory.”

With the Jets trailing by 11 at halftime, Ryan said there was no clamoring, no yelling at one another.

Aside from the position coaches who, Ryan said, “chewed each other out,” the message was to calm down and play within the defense.

“We have to get things to where we eliminate mistakes,” Ryan said. “When we eliminate them ourselves, we’re pretty tough.”

From there, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers’ confidence seemed to erode as his team’s drives got shorter and shorter. After the Jets took the lead with 8:44 left in the fourth, Rivers fired a pass to his right on a third-and-10 intended for Vincent Jackson.

But cornerback Kyle Wilson, a Piscataway native, jumped the route and picked it off, handing the ball back to a Jets offense that would run the game clock down to 1:29 — and the Chargers’ comeback bid to run out of time.

After the game, Pace introduced Sapp’s words to reporters. He was confident then, coming off what he thought was the best half the entire defense had played all season.

“Most definitely,” Pace said. “It was a great half, it really was. (The Chargers) were awesome in the first half, I think we were better in the second half. That’s what we had to do.”

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com

Jets vs. Chargers: Second-half comeback leads Jets to 27-21 victory, winning record

Published: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 11:27 PM Updated: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 11:31 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The

They grounded and pounded like they once could, located a 6-5 red-zone target named Plaxico Burress in the end zone three times and crafted a second-half shutout against one of the league’s most threatening offenses.

These were not the 2-3 Jets of two weeks ago. Today’s 27-21 comeback win against the San Diego Chargers instead revealed a team with confidence, and conviction, and the assets that fuel coach Rex Ryan’s proven Jets formula.

“I think we saw our team, the one that we envisioned at the start of the season,” Ryan said at MetLife Stadium. “We were slow to get it going, but we saw it.”

The victory not only gave the Jets a winning record (4-3) heading into their bye week, offsetting an ugly spell of three road losses, it was their first quality win against a team above .500 (San Diego is now 4-2).

The Jets looked on course to be counted out of the playoffs hunt, but after two straight wins, Ryan calmly predicted today, “we’ll probably see (the Chargers) again” in the postseason. But after blowing a 21-10 halftime lead, at least one frustrated player on the San Diego roster wasn’t ready to count the Jets as a contender.

“The San Diego Chargers beat the San Diego Chargers,” tight end Randy McMichael said. “Nothing to do with the New York Jets. It’s embarrassing.”

San Diego’s whopping 13 penalties for 95 yards might not have had anything to do with the Jets.

But despite creating an early hole, the Jets won the game by being the better team in the second half.

The Jets set themselves back on the game’s opening drive, when Chargers linebacker Donald Butler stripped tight end Dustin Keller, returning the fumble for a touchdown. Later that quarter, one of Nick Mangold’s uncharacteristic three penalties negated a 23-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes, and quarterback Mark Sanchez followed with an end-zone interception. Meanwhile, blown defensive assignments, like on a 2-yard touchdown catch by tight end Antonio Gates, had San Diego’s offense rolling.

But Ryan wasn’t angry at halftime. He told the offense to cut down on turnovers. He instructed the defense to “calm down.”

“I think it was understood: Either we’re going to get blown out, or we’re going to come back and win,” outside linebacker Calvin Pace said. “Because it wasn’t pretty, the first half wasn’t pretty defensively.”

Each side of the ball responded, exerting its will on the opponent like the Jets had done so rarely this season. The renewed emphasis on the run game paid off with Shonn Greene’s first 100-yard game (20 carries for 112 yards) since Week 4 last season. Sanchez (18-of-33 for 173 yards) and Burress answered the question of when they would synch up, and rookie receiver Jeremy Kerley emerged as the go-to third-down target the Jets have direly needed.

The defense tightened up to get the Chargers off the field in the second half. San Diego converted six of its seven third downs before halftime, but succeeded on only one of seven third downs after the break.

One key stop came late in the third quarter, after Sanchez’s second touchdown to Burress cut San Diego’s lead to 21-17. Rookie defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson, aware of the low trajectory of Philip Rivers’ passes, stuck up his arm to deflect a third-and-7 pass. Cornerback Donald Strickland also got a piece of the incompletion to Gates.

Rivers threw a pick to Darrelle Revis on his next possession, as the Jets disguised a loaded zone coverage as man and Revis scooped up a deflection off receiver Vincent Jackson. The All-Pro cornerback took the ball 64 yards to San Diego’s 19-yard line, setting up the go-ahead score: Sanchez’s third touchdown pass to Burress, surprisingly in one-on-one coverage against the overmatched Antoine Cason.

Piscataway’s Kyle Wilson followed suit with his first career interception on San Diego’s next drive, after which the Jets took a 27-21 lead on a 30-yard field goal. Rivers did not have a winning hurry-up drive in him, throwing out of bounds on fourth down at the 49-yard line with 3 seconds remaining.

Afterward, right guard Brandon Moore remembered what he and his teammates had said publicly after their third straight loss in New England: This team was improving, and on the right track. He knew that sounded “crazy” five weeks into the season, but were they onto something? Are these the

“We had some more than hiccups along the way,” Ryan said. “But here we are.”

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Politi: Jets' Plaxico Burress proves he's still potent in red zone

Published: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 8:39 PM Updated: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 9:11 PM

Steve Politi/Star-Ledger Columnist By Steve Politi/Star-Ledger Columnist

Plaxico Burress had a confused look on his face. He was trying to break down his touchdown receptions for the reporters gathered at his locker, but it had been 1,505 days since he had had this many in a single game.

And, frankly, they all looked about the same.

“What about the third one?” somebody asked.

“The third one was ... uh ...” he started.

“The post. In the back of the end zone,” he was told.

“Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah!”

Three times, the San Diego Chargers decided to leave 6-foot-1 cornerback Antoine Cason alone on the 6-foot-5 Burress near the end zone. Three times, Burress made the inevitable touchdown look so easy, you just hoped burning a defensive back wasn’t a parole violation.

Burress had waited a long, long time for a game like this. He had just four catches for 25 yards in the Jets’ had-to-have-it 27-21 victory over San Diego, but three of them put six points on the scoreboard.

Three of them were exactly the reason the Jets took a chance on him in the offseason, giving him that $3 million contract. Because, with his long body and soft hands, nobody is harder to cover than Burress in the red zone.

At least that was the case before that Glock went off in his pants three years ago at that nightclub.

He insisted he left prison a changed man, and in the way he carried himself around this team, that was clear.

But he also looked like a changed player through the first six games of the season. Burress had just one catch for 16 yards last week against the Miami Dolphins, just 14 on the season with two touchdowns.

Burress looked at himself on film, saw a lethargic receiver who wasn’t running crisp routes, and wondered.

Who is that guy?

“It couldn’t be any worse than the way it was looking,” Burress said. “And it was actually feeling worse than it looked. I was watching all the film I could possibly watch to get any advantage I could possibly get.”

He credited offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer for sticking with him, but what choice did he have? The Jets went all in with Burress in the offseason, letting free agent Braylon Edwards leave and gambling that the former Giant could still be an elite receiver after two and a half years away from the game.

He hasn’t come close to that yet. But this, at least, was a start. The Jets had plenty to like about this victory today — the re-emergence of a running game, the defense shutting out the potent Chargers after intermission — but no development was more important than Burress’ impact.

This offense has to have a productive Burress lining up opposite Santonio Holmes, and early on, it looked like the Jets might blow the game trying to get him involved. Quarterback Mark Sanchez forced a pass into double coverage trying to hit Burress in the end zone, and on the ensuing drive after the interception, the Chargers opened a 14-3 lead.

“That wasn’t our goal at all,” Sanchez said when asked if the Jets were trying to get Burress back on track. But when the quarterback saw his big target isolated one-on-one in the red zone, it was a no-brainer.

The three scoring plays had to look familiar for fans of the other team that calls this building home: Burress getting a good jump at the line of scrimmage, the ball leaving the quarterback’s hand before he even got open. How many times had Eli Manning done that for the Giants?

T

hrow it up. Let Plax get it.

It hadn’t worked that way for the Jets, and Sanchez was asking for patience. “People expect results right away,” Sanchez said. “You can’t just plug in someone after throwing to Braylon (Edwards) for two years and it’s all better, everything’s fine now. It’s a learning process.”

Maybe this is the beginning of that process. Burress beat Cason from 3 yards out on a crossing pattern for his first touchdown, then beat him on a fade for No. 2, then burned him on a post when Cason inexplicably released him on the line of scrimmage.

“I didn’t even have time to finish my route,” said Burress, who had his hand in the air after just a few steps. “Mark saw it immediately and put it right up, I beat him so bad at the line of scrimmage.”

Both quarterback and receiver agree this is still a work in progress. Burress has added little to the passing game outside the red zone — since the season opener, he has just one catch longer than 20 yards.

But for the first time since a Sept. 9, 2007, game with the Giants against Dallas, he had three touchdowns in a game. It was such a convincing performance that, when it ended, he couldn’t remember them all.

This is safe bet: Cason will be reliving all three for a while. Burress proved he’s still a nightmare to cover in the red zone for opposing cornerbacks. It’s been a while since he could say that.

Steve Politi: spoliti@starledger.com; Twitter.com/StevePoliti

Jets replay vs. Chargers

Monday, October 24, 2011

The Record

Star of the game

We won’t be hearing about WR Plaxico Burress’ slow transition to the Jets offense anymore, not after he snared three touchdown receptions, including the go-ahead score on a 3-yard slant from Mark Sanchez with 8:41 left, giving the Jets a 24-21 lead.

Turning point

San Diego was in field-goal range, facing a third-and-5 at the Jets’ 25 in the fourth quarter while leading, 21-17. But Philip Rivers’ pass was picked off by Darrelle Revis, who raced 64 yards to the Chargers’ 19, setting up Burress’ go-ahead TD.

Costly mistakes

San Diego CB Quentin Jammer’s 20-yard pass interference penalty on third-and-3 gave the Jets a first down at the Chargers’ 20 on the drive to their final field goal and a 27-21 advantage. … Jets’ C Nick Mangold had an uncharacteristic three penalties, including a holding that wiped out a diving 23-yard TD catch by Santonio Holmes in the first quarter.

Eye-catching

Two former North Jersey high school standouts were among San Diego’s inactives for the game. DE Luis Castillo of Garfield has been out since suffering a broken leg on opening day. LB Gerald Hayes, a Passaic Tech star who used to play for the Cardinals, was signed last week.

Coaching decisions

The Jets made adjustments with their personnel at halftime, using DEs Marcus Dixon and Ropati Pitoitua more after the Chargers kept running at undersized DE Martin Tevaseu. San Diego had 66 yards rushing in the first and only 30 in the second. But part of the blame, should go to San Diego coach and offensive guru Norv Turner, who went away from the run in the second half.

Looking ahead

The Jets (4-3) go into their bye week off a victory for the second consecutive season. When they return, they will face a grueling schedule of three games in a span of 12 days, beginning at Buffalo on Nov. 6, followed by New England at home on Nov. 13 in prime time. Four days later, they will be at Denver.

— J.P. Pelzman

San Diego charged up over lost lead

Monday, October 24, 2011

BY ANDY VASQUEZ

STAFF WRITER

The Record

EAST RUTHERFORD — His voice was just loud enough to cut through the quiet in the visitors’ locker room at MetLife Stadium. But the tone of Chargers wide receiver Randy McMichael left no doubt.

He was in no mood to talk about the Jets’ vaunted defense.

"I’m not giving credit to anybody," a visibly upset McMichael said. "Their secondary isn’t anything.

It’s our fault. It had nothing to do with anyone on their team. The guys in the locker room, we lost this game.

"You can spin any question you want to ask; everything boils down to the San Diego Chargers beat the San Diego Chargers today. Nothing to do with the New York Jets. It’s embarrassing, but it is what it is."

Regardless of where blame or credit falls, the numbers tell a frustrating story for the Chargers.

San Diego couldn’t muster a single second-half point Sunday. The Jets defense forced two fourth-quarter interceptions, on the way to a 27-21 comeback victory.

It was a sharp contrast to the way the Jets defense started the game. The Chargers coasted to a 21-10 halftime lead, burning the Jets for two touchdowns, 151 total yards and 11 first downs before the break.

But it all changed after halftime.

The Jets’ defense won the field position battle in the third quarter, limiting the Chargers to one first down. In the fourth quarter, turnovers made the difference.

The key play was Darrelle Revis’ interception. Philip Rivers’ pass deflected off receiver Vincent Jackson’s shoulder, into the air and into the hands of Revis, who returned it 64 yards to set up the go-ahead score with about nine minutes left.

"The ball’s not round," Rivers said. "It doesn’t always bounce like you want it to. It popped up right to him. A lot of ways that ball could have bounced and gone incomplete."

The ball hasn’t been bouncing the Chargers’ way this season, despite a 4-2 record. The most glaring sign of trouble can be found in Rivers’ play. He’s thrown nine interceptions and only seven touchdowns this season.

Rivers, who threw two interceptions Sunday, is far from panicking. And while he called the Jets’ defense a "good group, no doubt about it," he wasn’t about to give them too much credit after this loss.

"We’re 4-2," Rivers said, curtly. "We were ahead. They came back and beat us. We lost the football game."

E-mail: vasqueza@northjersey.com

Jets notes: Bug KOs LT

Monday, October 24, 2011

The Record

Bug, not Bolts, KOs LT

Veteran running back LaDainian Tomlinson felt excitement Sunday in facing his former team.

Unfortunately, he also felt ill. He was removed during the second half because of flu-like symptoms.

"I woke up this morning and felt pretty bad," Tomlinson said after the Jets' 27-21 win over San Diego. "I tried to push through as long as I could until I didn't have energy."

He had plenty of spring in his step at the beginning, going for a 9-yard run over right guard on the Jets' first offensive play of the game. But the illness gradually wore him down, and he finished with 14 yards on five carries and 37 yards on three receptions.

"You have everybody in the world working on him" during the game, coach Rex Ryan said of the Jets' training and medical staffs. "It got him through most of the game, but he couldn't finish it."

Tomlinson still looked run down after the game, but the victory certainly warmed his spirits. He was released by the Chargers in February 2010.

"I'd be lying," he said, "if I said this [win] didn't add some satisfaction. … The win makes it better."

Greene tops century mark

Shonn Greene's 112 yards on 20 carries marked the first 100-yard game of the season for the third-year back, who had 128 yards in the Jets' playoff victory over San Diego in the teams' last meeting in January 2010.

Greene showed he hasn't forgotten running-back etiquette despite his struggles this season, thanking everyone but the stadium vendors afterward.

"I was just doing my job," Greene said. "The offensive line did a great job. The wide receivers did a great job blocking downfield. [FB] John Conner did a great job, and I think when everybody does their part, we can move as a unit."

Defense stout despite injuries

The Jets' second-half shutout of the usually capable Chargers offense was especially impressive, considering the injury problems they had to deal with. DE Mike DeVito (knee) missed the game, and rookie Kenrick Ellis, who started in his place, left in the first quarter with an ankle injury. Star LB

David Harris missed a large portion of the game with a left ankle injury, although he did return and said he'd be fine.

"I felt it," Harris said of the injury. "I was a step slower, but I was able to do the job."

The Jets have a bye and don't play again until Nov. 6 at Buffalo.

— J.P. Pelzman

Sullivan: The Plax partnership restless fans pictured

Sunday, October 23, 2011

By TARA SULLIVAN

RECORD COLUMNIST

EAST RUTHERFORD – Mark Sanchez’s first end-zone pass to Plaxico Burress ended up in the opposition’s hands. His second nearly hit Burress in the back of the head.

Midway through the second quarter against the Chargers, and nothing had changed for the Jets’ veteran receiver, who still looked very much like the round hole to his quarterback’s square peg.

For weeks, the teammates have been trying to force a football partnership, to find the rhythm that would confirm Burress as a viable end-zone weapon once again, that would affirm Sanchez as the adaptable, evolving quarterback he needs to be. The days leading up to Sunday’s important pre-bye matchup with San Diego tore open some of the frustration of the ongoing process, with both sides admitting they’ve often felt like two mismatched puzzle pieces.

And then, they finally meshed.

Sanchez’s third end-zone pass to Burress, just two plays after the previous miscue, landed safely in the receiver’s hands, a 3-yard route to the right corner that left Burress wearing an obvious look of relief. He pounded the turf, he looked to the sky, and then, standing, he patted his heart before delivering the touchdown ball to his son in the stands.

“I was like, ‘Man, I finally made it back to the end zone,’Ÿ” he said.

It would be his first of three trips for the afternoon, the last of which gave the Jets the lead in their come-from-behind 27-21 win. With touchdowns of 3, 4 and 3 yards, Burress finally emerged as the potent red-zone weapon the Jets wanted when they won the post-prison bidding for his services.

Singled out three times against overmatched cornerback Antoine Cason, Burress finally showed Sanchez why Eli Manning relied on him so much back in those Giants days, catching a beautiful back-shoulder fade on the second score and nabbing a tight, over-the-middle spiral for the third.

“We were waiting for a breakout game like this and it all kind of clicked,” Sanchez said.

Just as important for the Jets was how many different facets of their game clicked Sunday, leaving coach Rex Ryan to believe “we saw our team, the one we sort of envisioned at the start of the season.”

Sanchez spread around the ball among Burress, Dustin Keller, Santonio Holmes and Jeremy Kerley.

Shonn Greene pounded the ground for his first 100-yard game of the season. A defense caught on its heels in the first half pitched a second-half shutout. “We just feel like we’re hitting our stride now,” Ryan said.

Getting Sanchez and Burress in lock step is a big reason why. As much as they anticipated a day like this to arrive soon, the growing scrutiny about why it was taking so long was taking a toll.

Burress admitted, “You just get so tired of seeing yourself look so bad on film,” but continued to torture himself in an effort to unlock the problem. “It couldn’t be worse than the way it was looking,” he said.

Burress wouldn’t – couldn’t? – entertain the notion that his two years out of the game and his 14 months behind bars were the reason for his lack of production. He refused to divulge any invasion of creeping doubt, believing he and Sanchez needed nothing more than more work and more time. Sunday’s three-touchdown day confirmed his belief, and perhaps even more importantly, opened the door to even greater possibility.

“I just tried to be patient,” Burress said. “I was forcing it a little bit. The coaches have been calling the plays and I hadn’t been getting the results for them. It’s a tribute to them saying, ‘You know what, we’re going to stick with him. He’s been working hard.’ It showed today and hopefully we can build off of this. … It’s a start. It’s a steppingstone that we can build on.”

Sanchez holds the rock, and as the man responsible for distributing the football to his various weapons, knows he can’t make everyone happy all the time. Yet the prospect of another week of in-depth analysis of whether the Burress signing was a bust, a two-week bye-week discussion on whether Burress was a better option than Braylon Edwards, and Sanchez – not Darrelle Revis – might be the one ready to hang up on annoying questions. One three-touchdown day staved off the doom.

“I think a lot of people are putting the pressure on him, but not in our building. He has the ability to still do this,” Sanchez said. “It’s a work in progress. People expect results right away. You can’t just plug in someone and expect results right away — after throwing to Braylon for two years — and it’s all better, everything’s fine now. They’re different players. It’s a learning process and we’re going through it. Today happened to be a good day. We have to keep building on it.”

Standing at his locker after the game, Burress needed no prompting when asked if he remembered the last time he caught three touchdowns in a game. “Couple years ago against Dallas, right?” he said. It was Sept. 9, 2007, the same year he helped the Giants win the Super Bowl.

Burress said he chose the Jets because he believed they gave him the best chance for another ring. With his performance Sunday, he proved he just might be able to do his part.

E-mail: sullivan@northjersey.com

Stapleton: Darrelle Revis literally in the zone

Monday, October 24, 2011

By ART STAPLETON

COLUMNIST

EAST RUTHERFORD – Considering the design of the coverage scheme and the way the personnel was deployed as part of it, the Jets could not have taken a bigger risk on the most important defensive series of Sunday’s 27-21 triumph over San Diego.

The Chargers were driving in the fourth quarter and in prime position to deliver what would have been a crushing blow to any thoughts of a comeback. They were already in field goal range and

Philip Rivers was not only looking for more – he was poised to get it, too.

That’s when the Jets took the NFL’s top cover cornerback and asked him to play zone.

Darrelle Revis did not blink at the assignment, and Rivers never saw it coming.

Of course, the football found its way into Revis’ hands in the form of another game-changing interception for the best player on the field.

Rivers hurried his third-and-5 throw on a slant route to star receiver Vincent Jackson with Antonio Cromartie on his hip, and the ball deflected off Jackson’s left shoulder.

Revis was there waiting all by himself, and just like that, he was headed the other way with a potential victory in his hands.

The game turned moments later, with Mark Sanchez and Plaxico Burress hooking up for their third touchdown of the game and the go-ahead score, yet it was fitting that once again Revis found a way to come through when Gang Green needed him most.

“It was a big play because they were going in to score,” Revis said. “It was huge for our defense to make a play and turn the ball over.”

Talent aside, there’s no greater team player on the Jets than Revis.

In nearly 20 minutes of postgame interviews, Revis rarely spoke in the first person.

He deflected praise, tossed verbal bouquets at an offense that finally matched its preseason hype while crediting Cromartie for knocking the pass away from Jackson – even though he didn’t – and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine for making sure he was in the right spot.

With all the debate over the lack of leadership in the Jets’ locker room, Revis is doing everything he can to provide a blueprint to fix what previously ailed a broken team.

“He’s still so humble with everything he does, and I’m not sure how,” teammate Donald Strickland said with a laugh. “I don’t know why offenses throw his way because he’s always making plays.

Maybe one day they’ll learn.”

You’d think by now opposing quarterbacks would identify where Revis is, much in the way they do middle linebackers. He has gone from being virtually ignored last season – mind you, when he was hardly at 100 percent following his training camp contract holdout – to inexplicably being around the ball with the game on the line.

Tony Romo tempted fate in the season opener and paid for it. Last Monday, Miami’s Matt Moore did too.

Then a Pro Bowler like Rivers dared to do the same Sunday and the end result was another highlight for Revis in what could prove to be the most crucial point of the season.

“He’s playing at a very high level,” Cromartie said of Revis, who recorded at least one interception in consecutive games for the fourth time. “He’s the best corner in the NFL. He’s going out, making plays and proving it.”

Former All-Pro and current NFL Network analyst Warren Sapp is a believer, although comments he made about Revis being awesome and the rest of the defense being average apparently did not sit well.

“To me, as a team player and being a part of this team, I’m upset because [sapp] said that,” Revis said. “You’re putting down my teammates. You’re saying they don’t execute [and] they don’t make plays. That kind of made me upset.”

That wasn’t the first time this week for Revis, who garnered plenty of unwanted attention for hanging up during a radio interview Friday with WFAN’s Mike Francesa.

A back-and-forth between the two got contentious when Francesa repeatedly pressed Revis to admit his 100-yard interception return for a touchdown in Monday’s victory over Miami was the product of a pass interference penalty that was not called.

“I don’t dislike Mike. He had his opinion. I had mine,” said Revis, who ended the interview at the urging of Jets spokesperson Jared Winley, who later apologized to Francesa’s producers. “I just wanted to stress my point. He stressed his point.

“None of us backed down.”

The Jets may have bent for a while Sunday, but like Revis on the radio, they never backed down, either.

And when San Diego was in position for the knockout, it was Revis who made the play that saved the game and perhaps the season with his ninth fourth-quarter interception since 2007.

Only Green Bay’s Charles Woodson has more.

“We got Philip. We showed him man and it was really a zone,” Revis said. “It was a great play on everybody’s part of doing their job.”

Appropriately enough, once again, Revis was the one who ended it.

NY Jets coach Rex Ryan, Chargers coach Norv Turner shake hands after game without incident

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, October 24th 2011, 4:00 AM

Rex Ryan sized up San Diego's Norv Turner on the field before the game yesterday, weighing the best way to counter any punches thrown by his opponent.

"I told him I thought I could get him inside," Ryan said. "I was going to work the body. Obviously my chin's not great so I'd have to worry about that one punch of his."

Ryan, who claimed he would have won several Super Bowl rings with the Chargers by now if the franchise had hired him when he interviewed for the vacant head coach position in 2007, expressed reverence for Turner after the Jets' 27-21 victory. Turner has never won a Super Bowl as head

coach. Neither has Ryan.

"I've got so much respect for Norv and I've got respect for that whole organization," Ryan said.

Turner, meanwhile, returned to being docile.

"I just said congratulations to him," Turner said. "They have a very good football team."

On Wednesday, Ryan called Turner to apologize for the championship comments before Turner even knew about them. Turner took a jab at Ryan, asking if the Jets coach had rings for the Super Bowls he's guaranteed.

The coaches embraced at midfield following the game's last play, patting each other on the backs before repairing to their respective locker rooms. They avoided any awkward encounter similar to the near fight between 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh and Lions coach Jim Schwartz a week earlier, and with good reason.

"We'll probably see them again," Ryan said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/24/2011-10-24_rex__norv_shake_off_the_noring_circus.html#ixzz1bhm5a3IN

NY Jets finally look like Super Bowl team they claimed to be in win over San Diego Chargers

Mike Lupica

Rex Ryan and the Jets back up their big talk... for at least one Sunday against the Chargers.

Corey Sipkin/News

Rex Ryan and the Jets back up their big talk... for at least one Sunday against the Chargers.

This was the team that Rex Ryan kept barking like a carnival barker that the Jets would be sooner or later. This was the game the Jets all said they had in them, one finally in the hands of Kyle Wilson in the fourth quarter, when Wilson got one more interception off Philip Rivers and MetLife Stadium got loud enough to be heard in Foxborough.

"We saw the team we envisioned at the start of the season," Ryan said when it was over. "We were slow to get it going, but we saw it."

On this big, loud exciting day in Jersey, a day when the Jets shut out Rivers and the Chargers in the second half, when the Jets pushed the Chargers around and stopped them on one third down after another and finally gave them nothing, there was Wilson stepping in front of Vincent Jackson, picking Rivers, running fast down the left sideline and into San Diego territory.

Making MetLife sound the way the Jets want to make it sound in the playoffs one of these days.

And even though the Jets were only ahead 24-21 at the time, you knew the Chargers were through.

The game was in Wilson's hands the way it had been in the hands of Darrelle Revis - of course - a few minutes earlier, Revis coming up with another interception of his own, changing this game the way he had last Monday night's.

The Chargers had been driving the ball pretty good, trying to make the lead they had at the time bigger. Only there was a tipped ball and then Revis was on it, taking it the other way, trying to go all the way. Again.

The Jets won, 27-21, in the end, won the game that takes them into their bye week at 4-3. Wilson and Revis had their interceptions. Mark Sanchez threw three touchdown passes to Plaxico Burress, who joined the season Sunday, made each one of those catches look like a mismatch in the low post. And Shonn Greene ran for 100 yards.

The Jets beat the Chargers and looked like they could have beaten anybody in the AFC. The Jets did that even though they got tagged early, Dustin Keller bobbling a ball thrown behind him on the Jets' first possession, having it taken away by Donald Butler, Butler taking it all the way in from the 37-yard line to make it 7-0 Chargers.

The Jets came back from that and came back from being down 21-10 at halftime and ran the table from there. And made this into as much of a day and as much of a moment as they have had in their new stadium, especially in the second half when the Chargers could not stop them on offense when it mattered and do anything against the defense, led by Revis, one of the truly great players the team has ever had, in any st

Rex Ryan's Jets did not go to 3-4 Sunday against a Chargers team that came into Jersey at 4-1. Did not go to 3-4 with games against the Bills and Patriots coming up on them after the bye. Did not let Rivers beat them or Vincent Jackson beat them, slam-dunking Jackson in the second half the way they finally did to Antonio Gates. On this day at MetLife, a game against a real team that the Jets had to have, they did not look anything like a team willing to settle for a wild card.

Sanchez was the game manager the Jets clearly want him to be, even if he couldn't get to 200 passing yards. He came in behind Greene's 112 rushing yards and threw to all of his receivers and made enough plays when he had to. Oh, the kid still makes head-scratching throws, all right, if you saw the game you know. Sanchez ruined a terrific first half-drive by eyeballing Burress the whole way on a play when Burress was double-covered, making a soft throw, getting picked off.

Didn't matter in the end. The Jets played at home Sunday the way they have played road playoff games the past two seasons. They fell behind early and stayed behind until halftime. There were times when the Chargers seemed to be doing whatever they wanted. But the Jets came back big, played the kind of big home game that Ryan promised they would all week long.

And when the day was on the line for them in the second half, when the Jets were trying to give the place as great a moment as the Jets have given it yet, they really did seem to stop every third down play and cover everybody.

Again: A lot of them had a hand in this one. But you better believe it started with Revis again the way it did last Monday night against the Dolphins, when he took an interception back 100 yards for a touchdown. This time he ran the ball all the way back to the Chargers 19. The Chargers could have made the game 28-17 if they'd scored a touchdown on that drive. Revis turned everything around and the Jets finally went ahead 24-21 instead.

For one day, one great day in Jersey, this was the team they expected they would be, promised us they would be, practically guaranteed they would be. They ran it and they threw it well enough and when they needed to absolutely slam-dunk the other team's quarterback, they did that, too.

"Still a work in progress," Burress said when it was over.

"This is the team we have," Ryan said again.

Nothing gets easier after the bye. But for this one game, the Jets didn't just look as if they could play with the Chargers. They looked as if they could play with anybody. At last.

Plaxico Burress of Jets aims to score touchdown against gun violence

BY Jennifer H. Cunningham

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Plaxico Burress hopes he's as big a hit off the field as he was in Sunday's game when he speaks out tonight against guns.

The Jets wide receiver, who caught three touchdown passes in the 27-21 victory over the Chargers, will make his speaking debut as an ambassador for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

PLAXICO STARS IN JETS' VICTORY

"I just want to use what happened to me to serve a higher purpose, instead of just walking away from it," said Burress of the 22 months he spent in prison for accidentally shooting himself with the illegal gun he was toting. "To confront it head-on, and let people know what's going on."

Burress, 34, is set to appear at Bohemian National Hall on the upper East Side along with a survivor of the Virginia Tech massacre and two documentary filmmakers in the hope that his story will offer a lifesaving lesson.

"It was more of a false sense of security than anything," Burress said about his gun. "A gun doesn't protect you. It only makes your situation worse."

He said he'll talk about how things "can happen so quickly - a lapse of judgment - how things can turn around."

He's working with the Brady Center to curb gun-related deaths and warn young people about the dangers of firearms. As part of this partnership, he'll also travel in the off-season to Washington to speak to schoolkids about the scourge of gun violence.

"Basically, everybody knows my situation," said Burress, who was released from prison in June and now sports the No. 17 jersey for Gang Green.

"People knew me for being a game-winning wide receiver for the New York Giants, and a lot of people know me for what happened with my gun incident - for shooting my own self."

He's out to change just "one kid's mind."

"People admire celebrities for what they do, and if I can get just that one kid not to carry a firearm out of their home. ...To change one life will make a difference," Burress said.

jcunningham@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/10/24/2011-10-24_plax_aims_to_score_a_td_vs_gun_violence.html#ixzz1bhoE5tTI

Shonn Greene carries NY Jets offense as LaDainian Tomlinson ill, rushes for 112 yards vs. Chargers

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The patch of open skin on Jets tailback Shonn Greene's left forearm was reddened and raw in the postgame locker room yesterday, visceral evidence of a day spent gashing the Chargers' defense.

For Greene, whose biceps are alternately tattooed with the words "Hard" and "Body," the flesh wound was a welcome sensation.

Greene, the legs of the Jets' ground-and-pound approach, absorbed the blows put on him and produced his best game of the season, stretching 20 carries into 112 yards, exploding for 24 yards on one shoulder-lowering push downfield. It was a performance that began with him on the bench behind LaDainian Tomlinson for the veteran's ceremonial start against his former team and ended with Greene running with newfound rhythm up the middle and to the outside.

"We changed up a few things, more double-teaming at the point of attack," right guard Brandon Moore said. "I just think it was a good game plan of setting your pads and leaning on guys real early in some of those schemes."

Anointed as the offense's "bell cow" by Rex Ryan in the preseason, Greene toiled through the first six games, failing to top four yards per game in those contests and reaching the end zone just twice.

Yesterday, though, the offensive line, in flux for much of the season with injuries and

inconsistencies, created holes for Greene and the third-year tailback took advantage, employing a patient demeanor and disruptive speed.

"It's not about me," Greene said. "I'm not running anywhere if they don't break things open."

Downhill runs developed and Greene leveraged for more yardage by plowing into San Diego defensive backs. He eclipsed the century mark with just over four minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, all the while assisting the defense by keeping the ball away from Chargers quarterback

Philip Rivers. The Jets won the time of possession battle, holding the ball for 32:46.

"That was key," Greene said. "We knew we had to do our part."

Not all went smoothly. Greene's right foot was caught in the turf as he ran right late in the fourth quarter and he collapsed to the ground. He was attended to by trainers, and walked off under his own power. He stood on the sideline, missed two snaps and then reentered the game with a sore ankle that he insisted will be no problem. The pain, his teammates insisted, was being experienced in the visitors' locker room.

"Shonn ran hard and really punished guys on that side of the ball," Tomlinson said. "He knew he was going to be able to wear those guys down."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/24/2011-10-24_shonn_gets_feet_on_ground.html#ixzz1bhpZulRB

NY Jets' LaDainian Tomlinson slowed by flu, but still able to play against former team, Chargers

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

At 4 a.m. Sunday, Jets tailback LaDainian Tomlinson woke up with violent flu-like symptoms, vomiting, experiencing diarrhea and overcome with chills.

"Really and truly I knew I was still going to play," Tomlinson said. "I was able to push through and make some plays."

Tomlinson, 32, refused to allow the illness to stymie his first opportunity to show the San Diego Chargers, his former team, what he can still do on the field. He approached midfield with Jets cornerbacks Antonio Cromartie and Donald Strickland, both one-time Chargers, for the coin flip and was in the backfield on the opening series. Tomlinson took the ball on three consecutive handoffs to begin the game, collecting one first down. Rex Ryan said it took a lot of work to prepare Tomlinson for competition.

"It looked like a NASCAR car coming in for new tires and gas," Ryan said after the Jets' 27-21 victory. "He had everybody in the world working on him. It got him through most of the game."

But Tomlinson, who finished with five carries for 14 yards, ran out of fuel at the end of the third quarter.

"I couldn't even stand up anymore," Tomlinson said. "Even on the sideline I was down on one knee because I just didn't have the energy."

Tomlinson refused to place too much emphasis on the game, even though the Chargers chose not to re-sign him as a free agent 18 months ago.

"I wasn't going to treat this like a playoff game, but I would not be fully upfront if I said there wasn't some satisfaction in this win," Tomlinson said.

He said that knowing the Chargers' long flight back west would be a restless one provided some calm.

HOLD ON, NICK

Center Nick Mangold, still recovering from a high right ankle sprain, started after being limited in practice during the week, but he drew uncharacteristic penalties, two for holding and one for being an ineligible receiver downfield.

"Unacceptable," Mangold said. "I don't care if it's the ankle or anything else, I can't put the decisions in the ref's hands."

One of the holding calls negated a touchdown pass thrown to wideout Santonio Holmes.

GETTING DEFENSIVE

Fluctuation on the defensive line continued.

Tackle Mike DeVito (ankle) was inactive, as expected, after he was injured during a practice session mid-week. Rookie Kenrick Ellis replaced Devito in the starting lineup, but walked to the locker room with trainers soon after with a right ankle injury.

Martin Tevaseu, who has bounced between the practice squad and active roster this season, made his way into the lineup for the majority of snaps.

HEY, MR. WILSON

Kyle Wilson, the Jets' first-round pick in 2010, stepped in front of a Philip Rivers pass intended for wideout Vincent Jackson and collected his first career interception. "It just came because I was just doing my job," Wilson said. He quickly turned his attention downfield.

"I was hoping to get to the end zone like (Revis)," Wilson said, referring to his teammate's 100-yard interception return for a touchdown last Monday. ... David Harris sprained his ankle, sat out a few plays, then returned. He maintained there was no problem.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/24/2011-10-24_only_flu_not_former_team_can_slow_down_tomlinson_in_victory.html#ixzz1bhqh7FL0

Revis, Wilson, D Pick It Up in the 2nd Half

By Andrew LeRay

Posted 3 hours ago

It was a tale of two halves for the defense in the Jets' thrilling 27-21 victory over the visiting San Diego Chargers on Sunday afternoon. Entering the game, the Chargers boasted the league’s best third-down offense, converting 56.5 per cent of their opportunities. The Jets came into Week 7 with the league’s best third-down defense, allowing offenses to convert only 28.6 per cent of the time.

Something had to give.

In the first half, the Chargers imposed their will, earning first downs on six of seven opportunities. In the second half, they moved the chains just once in seven more third-down tries.

“We knew the tendencies they were running,” said CB Antonio Cromartie. “We were disappointed in how we were playing in the first half and we wanted to change that. We felt if we could get a little pressure on Philip [Rivers], get him outside of the pocket, he’s not an accurate passer.”

Through the first two quarters, Rivers was steady, completing eight of 12 passes for 92 yards and a touchdown. After the Jets made their halftime adjustments to flush him from the pocket, he completed eight of 20 for 87 yards and two interceptions.

“We had to have a bigger sense of urgency on third downs,” said CB Kyle Wilson, who picked off Rivers in the fourth quarter. “We took a lot of pride in that. In the second half, we went out there and did it.”

It was Wilson’s first career interception, and it came at a critical point. The Chargers were attempting to retake the lead after the third touchdown of the day by WR Plaxico Burress put the Jets ahead for the first time at 24-21.

“It just came down to me doing my job,” said Wilson. “I was supposed to be under the receiver.

There was motion, we communicated the coverage, and we did everything we were supposed to.

Give that to Coach [Mike] Pettine. I was just doing my job out there.”

The interception was a milestone for Wilson, but one that he knew was imminent. Before the game, fellow CB Darrelle Revis teased him about his lack of takeaways.

“I asked him, ‘When are you going to get an interception?’ ” said Revis. “He said it was coming. I’m proud of him for stepping up, and he’s going to continue to make plays.”

No one on the Jets defense has made more plays than Revis himself. Week after week the ball is finding No. 24 as he’s already piled up a team-leading four interceptions.

“Sometimes you go out there and the ball bounces your way,” said Revis. “That’s part of the game.

You’ve got to keep on chucking, and keep working hard to make plays.”

Revis had been chucking all day when he finally got his hands on a Rivers pass attempt in the fourth quarter. Down by four, and with the Chargers about to enter the red zone, Cromartie was locked up with WR Vincent Jackson, who couldn’t find the handle, deflecting the ball into the chest of Revis.

“We showed man when it was really a zone,” said Revis. “The receiver went underneath, Cro broke the play up, and the ball popped in the air. It was a great play on everybody’s part.”

Revis took the interception 64 yards in the other direction, setting up the go-ahead touchdown from Burress on the ensuing drive.

At the end of the day, the Jets improved their record to 4-3 and are a perfect 4-0 at MetLife Stadium. Heading into next week’s bye, it was of utmost importance for them to get their record above .500.

Now, they wait.

“It’s great for us,” said Revis. “You never want to go into a bye week losing this last game. We get to enjoy the bye week, critique ourselves on our strengths and weaknesses, get ready for the rest of the season, and move on.”

Sunday’s five most valuable players, Week 7

By MJD

Sunday’s five most valuable players, Week 7

Darrelle Revis(notes), Cornerback, New York Jets. Not only did Vincent Jackson(notes) get trapped on Revis Island, but the smoke monster there treated him like he was Mr. Eko. Jackson had just 15 yards and one catch on the day, and he's one of the toughest covers in the league. Revis is extraordinary. Not only did he lock Jackson up, but he allowed the Jets to spend a lot of time doubling Malcom Floyd(notes) on the other side. He's the key to everything the Jets do on defense.

Christian Ponder(notes), Quarterback, Minnesota Vikings. Even when Donovan McNabb(notes) was at his worst and his passes were nearly indistinguishable from celebratory end zone spikes, I gave Leslie Frazier the benefit of the doubt. Word on the street (okay, Twitter) was that Christian Ponder was just nowhere near ready to play in an NFL game. If that's the case, whenever he is ready to play in an NFL game, he's going to be a beast. Ponder makes plays. His numbers on the day weren't good, but there were all kinds of flashes of potential. He's athletic, he's accurate, he's got good instincts, and he moves the chains. The Vikings have no business being in a competitive game against the Packers, but there they were. I'm excited about Christian Ponder.

DeMarco Murray(notes), Running Back, Dallas Cowboys. Twenty-five carries, 253 yards, and hundreds of thousands of fantasy owners who hate Felix Jones(notes) for never, ever coming close to this. In terms of yardage, it's the ninth-best game anyone's ever had, just ahead of Spec Sanders' 250-yard game for the Yankees against the Chicago Rockets back in '47. The remaining living members of that '47 Rockets team would be favored over the Rams by 14.

Plaxico Burress(notes), Wide Receiver, New York Jets. The old Plaxico came out to play on Sunday, as he scored three touchdowns and proved to be a tremendous pain to cover in the red zone. He only had four catches on the day, but three of them were in the paint. That's what the Jets are paying him for -- to go up and get the ball in the end zone.

Dez Bryant(notes), Wide Receiver, Dallas Cowboys. I saw two kinds of really good plays from Bryant on Sunday; one expected, and the other, maybe not so much. The first type: plays that require spectacular talent (and not-so-great coverage), like this one. There were also hustle plays, like when he absorbed the contact and fought for extra yards here, and watch him hustle downfield here in case DeMarco Murray needed an extra block. Good signs for maturation of Dez Bryant.

Good effort from Mark Sanchez, no effort from Norv Turner

By MJD

There were a lot of reasons that the San Diego Chargers lost to the New York Jets on Sunday, including the fact that the Chargers are just not that good of a football team. One particular play, though, was more harmful than most -- not even because of the play itself, but because Chargers head coach Norv Turner failed to challenge it.

It's a 3rd-and-1 for the Jets deep in Chargers territory. A conversion for the Jets means that the Chargers will eventually get much less time to attempt a comeback drive. Here's what went down:

First, credit goes to Mark Sanchez(notes) for the instinctual effort for the sticks. Replay (television replay, that is, not official replay -- the distinction is important) may have showed that he wasn't quite there, but the pump fake and the dive still make for one hell of an effort. If he just tucks his head and barrels forward, he probably doesn't get close. It was part of a pretty good day for Sanchez.

Back to the Chargers: What's going on in Norv Turner's head by not challenging that? If there's even a chance that gets turned over, you've got to have it. The time that could've saved San Diego was crucial. Not that they were going to make the most of it, but it would've been nice to try. I'm not certain that the call would've been overturned, but it's at least a maybe, and that maybe could've given San Diego a full two minutes to attempt a comeback drive.

But that chance slipped away from them, as did an 11-point halftime lead.

The Fifth Down - The New York Times N.F.L. Blog

October 24, 2011, 7:30 am

Week 7 Quick Hits: The Return of Big-Game Burress

By ANDY BENOIT

Andy Benoit takes a quick tour of all the Week 7 games. Did he miss something? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Jets 27, Chargers 21

New York Jets

Now THAT’S what the Jets thought they were getting when they signed Plaxico Burress. Few are better equipped to thrive in the red zone, where spacing is tight, than a man who’s that tall and sinewy. Burress beat Antoine Cason, San Diego’s most talented cover artist, for all three of his red zone touchdowns Sunday. Twice he did it with physicality and once with elusiveness.

One reason expectations are high for Burress is, being a Jet, he’s assured of never having to face Darrelle Revis. A week after punishing Brandon Marshall and the Dolphins for attacking him, Revis stifled Vincent Jackson, one of the toughest covers in the league. According to ESPN, “Jackson was targeted four times on passes of more than 15 yards, and he finished with one reception for 15 yards and an interception.” Revis is clearly the league’s most valuable player on defense. The question is whether he’s the most valuable player, period.

As for the Chargers, what do we make of them? They’re not posting the huge numbers of recent years, and their four victories have come against hapless opponents (Minnesota, Kansas City, Miami and Denver). That said, 4-2 is 4-2. And it’s difficult to fault a West Coast team for losing an early window game on the East Coast – especially when that early window game is against a quality opponent.

Broncos 18, Dolphins 15

If it’s Tim Tebow worship you’re looking for, wrong place. Being a winner and having fourth-quarter moxie and all that other Hollywood stuff is great…but not sustainable.

Neither is Tony Sparano’s career in Miami – unfortunately for Sparano. The Sun Sentinel reports that though the Dolphins just gave away what would have been their first win of the season, Sparano is unlikely to be fired…for now. That means he gets to continue working for an owner who tried to replace him during the off-season and who gladly traded a few extra tickets sold for honoring the opposing team’s quarterback at halftime of this week’s game.

To end this bit on a positive note, the Dolphins’ stagnant pass rush finally came alive. Miami entered with eight sacks on the season and exited with 15.*

*If you think this “positive note” is just a veiled attempt at mentioning that Tebow was slow in his reads and release on Sunday, you would not necessarily be wrong.

Pick 6 – Jets vs. Chargers: Return Of The Plaxico

by mkanter on October 24th, 2011 at 7:45 am

1) Old School Jets – I don’t want to say that this is a “classic” Jets win, but this is more in line with 2009 and 2010, years that involved many comebacks in the 4th quarter. The Jets fell behind early and had to fight and claw to stay in the game. Except for Keller fumble (if you will) and Sanchez interception in the end-zone, the offense looked efficient and effective. Against a very tough San Diego defense the Jets ran for 162 yards on 31 carries. Shonn Greene was able to pound the rock 20 times for 112 yards, as he looked very good for the second time in three weeks. A heavy workload is important for Shonn to get in a groove, and the Jets were smart not to abandon the run after going down 21-10. Sanchez threw for three TDs and one interception that was terribly underthrown. Folk had another good game, kicking two field goals and three extra points. Once again, his leg benefitted the Jets as the Chargers average starting field position after a Jets score was 18 yard line. All in all, while it came down to the end of the game, I almost felt more comfortable as I’ve seen this formula work before. A complete 60 minute game is what the Jets will be striving for coming out of the bye.

2) Moore is Better – Before we get to the other coaches, let’s point out that it is no coincidence that the Jets put together an efficient showing on offense with Tom Moore in New Jersey. The Jets have been efficient in the red zone this year, scoring a touchdown 10 of 16 times coming into the game.

They went 3/5 today, with the other two drives ending in field goals. The creativity was evident as well, as Plaxico Burress was able to score three times, one lined up wide left, once lined up in the slot and once lined up wide right. The Jets also only had one three and out, after going three and out on nearly 50% of their drives. Look for this to be the main focal point of the bye week.

3) Kerley Fries – I never really understood the Mason signing. The Jets had just signed Plaxico and they had drafted TCU rookie Jeremy Kerley. Kerley has always intrigued me since the draft, as I would always have visions of the slot receiver you couldn’t stop on third down. It was nice to see a glimpse of the future, even if it may be the one in my head. Sanchez said of Kerley, “You know what I was real happy about was the way (Jeremy Kerley) played. Kerley did a great job of keeping two drives alive on third down.” If Tom Moore and Brian Schottenheimer can combine their minds to utilize the Jets offense, it can be a scary thought for opposing defenses. With a four wide set (Holmes and Plax on the outside – Kerley and Keller in the slot) with Shonn ready to grind away in the backfield, the Jets can allow their defense ample time to catch their breath, therefore allowing them to perform at a higher level. I’d like to see Kerley and Keller more on third downs coming out off the bye, as I think they will create mismatches for opponents.

4) Flag Day – If the refs got paid by the flag, they are going to be very wealthy. San Diego was flagged 13 times for 95 yards. Four of those flags gave the Jets first downs. Of course, the Jets were not clean themselves. They were flagged (only) 8 times for 60 yards. This is a game that Jets fans are used to, though they are used to being on the short end of the stick. The Chargers were complaining about the calls after the game, though it seemed that the calls heavily influenced both team. To assume their was a hometown discount is a little much, but it sure is nice to get the calls one game.

5) Adjustments Made – Another key trademark of the Jets coaching staff in years past was their ability to enhance their performance in the second half, when it was really needed. With the Jets trailing the Chargers 21-10 at the end of the first half, facing the possibility of losing two key run-stuffers, the Jets coaching staff made their adjustments and shut the door on the Chargers.

They started the half with 21 points and ended it with 21 points. The only drive Rivers and the Bolts were able to come close to scoring was on a busted play where Rivers found a wide open Randy McMichael for 30 yards. The drive, however, ended in a Darrelle Revis interception. Here is what Rex said about that play, “We showed man (coverage), they ran run-and-tell motions. They were running motions over to see if it was man (coverage). We showed them a man look, then ran loaded zones. It was a great call. Sure enough, they threw into it. Cro (CB Antonio Cromartie) had great coverage. He got a tip on the ball and Revis was off to the races.” It’s these flashes of defensive greatness that made us fall in love with Rex, and it’s glad to see him make a statement going into the bye week. Of course, it’s not just Rex and the coaches. Don’t forget the players…

6) Doing Your Job – I hate to steal a phrase from a rival, but it’s a very simple statement. “Do your job.” If you your job and you will find success. And that’s what the Jets did today. They had younger players step up (Wilson, Wilkerson, Kerley, Greene), the offensive line blocked and Plax looks like he was 30 again. We signed Plax to be that big-bodied threat in the red zone. I think it’s safe to say he did his job. He even impressed outside of the red zone, breaking Jammer’s ankles en route to a 15-yard gain. Greene churned out the yards throughout the day against a tough defense. He did his job. Aside from one poor throw, Mark Sanchez did his job. The defense?

While, yes, they did give up 21 first half points, I would chalk up the defensive game as a victory.

Outside of a 29-yard run by Tolbert, the running game was held in check even with the lack of depth on the roster. The Jets now have momentum going into the bye week, where they will have two weeks to prepare for two straight division games. By no means are the Jets “out of the woods.”

They still have a long way to go before we can consider this team a serious contender. But hey, we’re on the right track.

Time To Go Nitpicking…

- Love Revis throwing a hit during his interception return. Now has 18 interceptions in his career.

- It was scarily gorgeous outside for October 23.

- Cannot get enough of Aaron Maybin. His energy is great, and I’m glad he leads the defense out of

the tunnel.

- BIG hit by Eric Smith on a BIG dude (Tolbert). Hard to stop someone that size in his tracks.

- Smith is always chasing after someone at least once per game.

- Out of all the flags today, they missed a hold on Eric Smith during Tolbert’s TD run and the pass interference on Holmes.

- Smith also blew his coverage on the Gates TD in the 2nd quarter.

- Love Sanchez’s deke move on his 25-yard scamper

- I forgive you Nick Mangold, but it nearly cost us.

- Unfortunate to lose Ellis so early. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious.

- Jets once again had 12 defenders on the field in the red zone. That is why Rex had to call the time out.

- Kyle Wilson has had, in my opinion, a great second season.

- Bart Scott seemed to have a very quiet day.

- Unbelievable pass deflection by Revis on Vincent Jackson in the 3rd quarter. Tremendous.

Chargers’ Jammer says refs gave Jets the game

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 24, 2011, 8:33 AM EDT

San Diego Chargers Quentin Jammer interferes with New York Jets Santonio Holmes in NFL football game in East Rutherford Reuters

Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer blasted the officiating following Sunday’s loss to the Jets, saying “consistently bad” calls cost the Chargers the game.

“No way it was called fairly,” Jammer told the New York Post. “No way. Not at all. It wasn’t called fairly at all. Maybe I’m being biased, but I’m just judging off what I saw. It wasn’t a fair game called.”

The Chargers were flagged for 13 penalties on Sunday, including two pass interference calls against Jammer. One of those two was a huge shift in the game, giving the Jets 20 yards and a first down on a third-down incompletion. Jammer, who was covering Santonio Holmes on both plays, did not agree with the penalties.

“When you’re not getting the chance to play the way you play, it’s upsetting,” Jammer said. “I mean, football is a contact sport. There’s going to be contact. Receivers make contact and corners make contact, so at some point you’ve just got to let us play.”

And Jammer wasn’t able to play Holmes the way he wanted.

Schwartz: Jets Are Back In Business

October 24, 2011 9:46 AM

schwartz_feature

Reporting Peter Schwartz

If the Jets do go on to make the playoffs this season, it will be because of one moment on Sunday.

It won’t be anything that happens from this point forward. All that would be irrelevant.

If the “x” gets put next to “Jets” in the AFC standings come January, symbolic of having clinched a wild card spot (because you can forget about the AFC East title), it will be because of some soul searching that was done at halftime of Sunday’s 27-21 win over the Chargers at MetLife Stadium.

Not much went right for the Jets in the first half as they went to the locker room trailing 21-10. The defense had their issues getting off the field and the offense couldn’t finish off drives, less the first of three Mark Sanchez touchdown passes to Plaxico Burress and a Nick Folk field goal.

While we’re on the subject of Sanchez, can his detractors just shut up for a minute? I understand that he is not Tom Brady or Peyton Manning and may never reach their status — but he wins games for the Jets and that’s the bottom line.

And his performance on Sunday was clutch.

But before halftime, the Jets’ season was in peril.

So with his team looking at their season blowing up, what did Rex Ryan say at the intermission?

“There was no panic,” said Ryan. “There was no chewing anybody out. We have to get things to where we eliminate mistakes.”

And that’s exactly what happened.

The Jets defense pitched a second half shutout and the Sanchez-to-Burress combination completed a trifecta of scoring plays, including the go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Darrelle Revis showed no ill effects from Friday’s showdown with Mike Francesa on WFAN by dialing up another big interception and hanging the Chargers out to dry.

The running game certainly got on track as Shonn Greene rushed for 112 yards on 20 carries. It was Greene’s fifth career 100-yard rushing game.

But let’s be honest for a second. The Jets still have their share of issues. They were lucky that the Chargers committed a zillion penalties to help the cause. The offense still needs to find some consistency and maybe that finally clicked in during the second half.

The defense, at times, still allows teams to march up and down the field and that has to a concern for Ryan.

However, the bottom line is that the Jets have accomplished the mission set out after walking off the field in New England following their third straight loss.

They have won two in a row and enter the bye week at 4-3. The Jets are in a much better place than they were two weeks ago and now they get a chance to take a deep breath and enjoy some time off.

It’s also imperative that the coaching staff does some self-scouting this week to try correcting the mistakes that continue to haunt the Jets.

The Jets are back in business. They are beginning to look like the playoff team that a lot of people thought they were.

We’ll see what happens in two weeks!

JET LINERS

The Jets improve to 4-0 at home. They are now 9-3 at New Meadowlands Stadium/MetLife Stadium.

So far this season, the Jets are giving up just 13.5 points per game at home.

For the second time this season, the Jets rallied from a double-digit deficit to win. They also did it opening night against Dallas.

Guard Brandon Moore played in his 119th game for the Jets and passed former center Kevin Mawae and into sole possession of 10th place on the Jets all-time list for games played by an offensive lineman. Moore is now four behind former center/guard Roger Duffy for 9th place.

Linebacker Aaron Maybin notched his third sack in four games since re-signing with the Jets.

Burress became the first Jet to score three touchdowns in a game since Thomas Jones did it on 11/9/08 against the Rams. He is the first Jet to record three touchdown catches in a game since Laveranues Coles hauled in three against the Cardinals on 9/28/08. Burress notched his first three-touchdown game since 9/9/07 at Dallas.

Nick Mangold caught the penalty bug in this game. In the first half, he drew a flag for ineligible man downfield that wiped out a Santonio Holmes touchdown catch. In the 2nd half, he committed a pair of holding calls on the same drive.

Tomlinson became the fourth running back in NFL history with 600 receptions. The others are Larry Centers, Marshall Faulk, and Keith Byars.

Nick Folk is now 10 for 10 on field goals this season has now converted 12 straight fourth quarter field goals.

DE Mike DeVito was inactive because of a knee injury so third round pick Kenrick Ellis made his first NFL start.

Newly signed WR Eron Riley was inactive.

Gil Ramos performed the National Anthem. He was the winner of the Jets annual anthem contest.

Sunday marked the Jets’ annual Fan Appreciation Day. The team put together a lineup of contests, giveaways, and activities.

REVIS RESPONDS

On Friday, Darrelle Revis made news both locally and nationally during his interview with Mike Francesa on the FAN. Mike was insisting that he committed pass interference on his 100-yard interception return for a touchdown last Monday night against Miami — but Revis disagreed.

The conversation was heating up when Jets Media Relations Director Jared Winley got on the line and instructed Revis to hang up the phone. Revis obliged.

After Sunday’s win over the Chargers, Revis not only discussed his latest big pick, but the interception that created a Big Apple stir for several days.

THE WEEK AHEAD

The Jets have their bye week. After a few days off, the team will return to the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center next Monday to begin preparations for their next game. That will be on Sunday November 6th against the Bills in Orchard Park.

JET FANS SUPPORT A WORTHY CAUSE

On Sunday, the Alliance for Lupus Research (ALR) and the Atlantic Health Jets Women’s Organization (AHJWO) hosted Lupus Awareness Day. Volunteers and the ALR staff distributed ALR-branded reusable shopping bags and collected donations from fans as they entered the stadium. Jets fans are also encouraged to text LUPUS to 85944 to donate $10 to support Lupus research.

That’s all for now. Enjoy the bye week! Make sure that you follow me on Twitter @pschwartzwfan.

Palladino: Jets’ Arrogance Rewarded

October 24, 2011 9:27 AM

Darrelle Revis, Ernie Palladino, New York Jets, Plaxico Burress, Rex Ryan, San Diego Chargers

From the Pressbox’

By Ernie Palladino

Ernie is the author of “Lombardi and Landry.” He’ll be covering football throughout the season.

Maybe there was something to all this braggadocio and snittiness coming out of the Jets these days.

Rex Ryan throws a shot at the Chargers for giving Norv Turner the job over him. Darrelle Revis hangs up on WFAN’s top radio show host because the talker had the nerve to suggest — albeit time and again — that Revis actually got away with one on last week’s interception return for a touchdown.

About the only guy who wasn’t talking or whining or griping was Plaxico Burress, who until yesterday really wasn’t in a position to say anything except “Just you wait.”

Well, with everybody’s credibility on the line, the Jets came through with a 27-21 win over the Chargers. And they did it in convincing fashion, scoring 17 unanswered second-half points to come back from a 21-10 halftime deficit.

Oh, Rex may reach downright insufferable levels this week. But that’s OK now, since his Jets are now on the good side of .500 at 4-3. For a week, at least, Ryan’s troops had his back. And maybe that’s how it’s supposed to work with a team dynamic such as the one Ryan has instituted.

In a nutshell, the coach can say what he wants; the players can say what they want. But in the end, it’s the players’ job to back up whatever comes out of the coach’s mouth, no matter how nonsensical it may sound at the time.

The Jets did that yesterday. Ryan’s seemingly outlandish claim that Burress was going explode at some point this season was backed up by the player himself with three touchdown catches, the last two serving to vault the Jets ahead at 24-21. He had only one other such game, with the Giants in 2007.

The perturbed Revis came through with his third interception in six days, just as the Chargers appeared to be driving to put the game out of reach. Instead, the ball tipped off Vincent Jackson’s hands and landed in the cornerback’s, who then returned it 64 yards to the Chargers’ 19, setting up Burress’ third touchdown and the go-ahead points.

And just for good measure, Kyle Wilson, a safety who spent last week placidly watching the verbal mayhem instead of contributing to it, picked off Philip Rivers on the very next possession to set up Nick Folk’s icing field goal.

There were still problems, to be sure. If not for the Chargers committing 13 penalties for 95 yards, including three pass interference calls and a defensive hod, the Jets indeed might have been in deep trouble. The defense failed to get Turner’s offense off the field in the first half, as the Chargers mounted touchdown drives of 14 and 11 plays. So those issues will have to be addressed in the upcoming bye week.

But there was also plenty of positives. The offensive line, once leaky and creaky, gave Mark Sanchez the best protection of the year, allowing him to sit back in the pocket and pick out his targets. Except for that one interception — ironically it came after Nick Mangold’s hold nullified a Santonio Holmes scoring catch — Sanchez responded with a solid 18-for-33, 173-yard outing that was made even more effective as Shonn Greene collected 112 of the Jets’ 162 ground yards.

The Jets for the first time this year gave you that “we’re all in this together” feel. Rex talked, Revis stomped, Burress and Sanchez stewed.

In the end, they backed up their coach. They backed up themselves in a game the Jets needed as much for their collective credibility as for the standings.

We anxiously await this week’s offerings. One thing is all but certain. The cone of silence isn’t about to descend on Ryan anytime soon.

Not after this one. That’s not how things work on Rex’s team.

Darrelle Revis: ‘I Don’t Dislike’ Mike Francesa, Hang-Up Blown ‘Out Of Proportion’

October 24, 2011 10:18 AMNEW YORK (WFAN) – It was the hang-up heard ’round the Tri-State area — and then the nation.

Moments after Jets media relations director Jared Winley instructed Darrelle Revis to end his interview with WFAN’s Mike Francesa, sports fans were going wild tweeting the news.

Shortly thereafter it was all over the web.

By late Friday afternoon, Revis’ shocking dial tone treatment was everywhere.

“I felt a certain way, he felt a certain way and that’s what it was,” the cornerback explained after the Jets’ 27-21 win over San Diego. “I don’t dislike Mike, he knows my agent very well. He had his opinion, I had mine.”

During a heated debate over Revis’ controversial 100-yard interception return for a touchdown against Miami, Winley jumped on the call. He identified himself to Francesa and shortly afterward told the All-Pro to hang up.

“That wasn’t my call,” Revis said. “Jets PR told me to get off the phone.”

Francesa later announced on-air that Winley called to apologize.

Apology accepted. No harm, no foul.

On Sunday, Revis insisted it was “nothing personal.”

“I just felt we shouldn’t have been talking about that in the first place because it was Friday, and I’m trying to get ready for San Diego,” he said. “But he brought it up. I stood my ground he stood his.”

Revis didn’t say he would go back on air with Francesa — but he didn’t rule it out, either.

“We’ll see what happens in the future,” said Revis. “Like I said, I don’t dislike Mike. It kind of blew out of proportion.”

Thanks for posting these flgreen.

What a bunch of babies those Chargers are...really Jammer? Really? How about the penalities vs. the Jets? The called back TD which was bull sh*t. The called back first for an illegal man down field which was bull sh*t. A holding call on a kick off that wasnt returned. Talk about sour grapes.

And I love how after 1 game, the Jets are back and the arrogance is working again. Sports media is a joke. All of them.

Thanks for posting these flgreen.

What a bunch of babies those Chargers are...really Jammer? Really? How about the penalities vs. the Jets? The called back TD which was bull sh*t. The called back first for an illegal man down field which was bull sh*t. A holding call on a kick off that wasnt returned. Talk about sour grapes.

And I love how after 1 game, the Jets are back and the arrogance is working again. Sports media is a joke. All of them.

Thanks JIF

I agree the officiating was awful yesterday. The upfield call on Mangold is almost never called unless the player is out in front of a screen.

The Chargers were frustrated because they blew an 11 point lead.

Suck it

Jets' comeback by the numbers

October, 24, 2011

Oct 24

10:45

AM ET

By James Walker

Tim Tebow wasn't the only quarterback who led a big second-half comeback in Week 7.

The New York Jets and quarterback Mark Sanchez rallied from 11 points down in the second half to take a 27-21 victory against the San Diego Chargers. The win was the second in a row for the Jets (4-3), who remain in the playoff hunt.

Here are some statistics on the comeback, courtesy of ESPN's Stats and Information:

17-0: The Jets outscored San Diego in the second half to pull off the win. New York's defense put the clamps on Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, who had just one passing first down in the second half.

112: Jets running back Shonn Greene notched a season-high in rushing and gained more than 100 yards for the first time this season. Ground-and-pound was back. New York as a team rushed for a season-best 162 yards.

25: New York controlled the tempo offensively with 25 first downs to keep the chains moving. The Jets also were an efficient 8-for-13 on third-down conversions.

3: Jets receiver Plaxico Burress scored a trio of big touchdowns. All three scores were in the red zone.

4-0: The Jets remain undefeated this season at Met Life Stadium. It's just the second time in 25 seasons that New York won its first four games at home.

17-0: The Jets outscored San Diego in the second half to pull off the win. New York's defense put the clamps on Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, who had just one passing first down in the second half.

25: New York controlled the tempo offensively with 25 first downs to keep the chains moving. The Jets also were an efficient 8-for-13 on third-down conversions.

Love these stats. You are going to be hard to beat if you can keep this type of play up. Bottom line.

Morning take: Patriots vs. Steelers

October, 24, 2011

Oct 24

7:00

AM ET

By James Walker

Here are the most interesting stories Monday morning in the AFC East:

The New England Patriots (5-1) have to get ready for a big-time showdown against the sharp Pittsburgh Steelers (5-2).

Morning take: The Steelers have won three straight and are peaking at the right time. New England, coming off a bye, also is hot, and quarterback Tom Brady usually has Pittsburgh's number. Something has to give.

New York Jets receiver Plaxico Burress, 34, turned back the clock and caught three touchdowns in a victory over the San Diego Chargers.

Morning take: Burress' performance might have saved the Jets' season. New York (4-3) has a tough upcoming schedule. The team cannot afford any additional losing streaks if it wants to make the playoffs.

Miami Dolphins (0-6) running back Reggie Bush says the team "stinks."

Morning take: I can't argue with the man. He's right.

The Buffalo Bills have a chance to improve on defense after the bye week.

Morning take: I talked to several defensive players after their loss to the New York Giants, and they were highly disappointed. I'm curious to see what wrinkles Buffalo adds defensively with two weeks to prepare for the Washington Redskins.

Jets playing-time breakdown

October, 24, 2011

Oct 24

10:54By Rich Cimini

An unofficial review of the playing time in the Jets' 27-21 win over the Chargers (based on press-box view, all small margin for error):

RUNNING BACKS

Shonn Greene ... 35/66 snaps

LaDainian Tomlinson ... 25

John Conner ... 14

Joe McKnight ... 5

TIGHT ENDS

Dustin Keller ... 56/66 snaps

Matt Mulligan ... 43

Vlad Ducasse ... 9

Josh Baker ... 1

WIDE RECEIVERS

Santonio Holmes ... 59/66 snaps

Plaxico Burress ... 52

Jeremy Kerley ... 21

Patrick Turner ... 3

Analysis: Tomlinson probably would've had more playing time, but he was ill and played only five snaps in the second half ... This was a busy day for Mulligan, as the Jets went heavy with two-TE packages ... Ducasse was used as an extra tight end in jumbo packages ... Curiously, Burress wasn't in the game on the Jets' final offensive play, the third-and-3 from the Chargers' 3, when they needed his presence in the red zone. Mark Sanchez, with no one open, took an intentional sack to keep the clock running and forcing the Chargers to take the last timeout.

Jets playing-time breakdown

October, 24, 2011

Oct 24

10:54By Rich Cimini

An unofficial review of the playing time in the Jets' 27-21 win over the Chargers (based on press-box view, all small margin for error):

RUNNING BACKS

Shonn Greene ... 35/66 snaps

LaDainian Tomlinson ... 25

John Conner ... 14

Joe McKnight ... 5

TIGHT ENDS

Dustin Keller ... 56/66 snaps

Matt Mulligan ... 43

Vlad Ducasse ... 9

Josh Baker ... 1

WIDE RECEIVERS

Santonio Holmes ... 59/66 snaps

Plaxico Burress ... 52

Jeremy Kerley ... 21

Patrick Turner ... 3

Analysis: Tomlinson probably would've had more playing time, but he was ill and played only five snaps in the second half ... This was a busy day for Mulligan, as the Jets went heavy with two-TE packages ... Ducasse was used as an extra tight end in jumbo packages ... Curiously, Burress wasn't in the game on the Jets' final offensive play, the third-and-3 from the Chargers' 3, when they needed his presence in the red zone. Mark Sanchez, with no one open, took an intentional sack to keep the clock running and forcing the Chargers to take the last timeout.

Like to see Kerley, and McKnight get a few more reps.

Kerley looks like he is going to be a player. Mark just didn't see him on 2 occasions where Kerley was uncovered. Both would have been TD's. On another Sanchez saw him late, and doubled pumped, then overthrew him out of bounds.

Maybe when Mark sees the game film he'll start looking for him a bit more. he seems to be getting more time. Hunter still isn't good, but has improved

Injury Update: Chargers Fallout

by Bassett on October 24th, 2011 at 8:59 am

Mike DeVito – DeVito suffered a knee injury in practice leading up to the game, and the Jets ended up scratching him from the active list after he tried to warm up on Sunday for the game.

Analysis: It’s unknown how long he’ll be out, but the bye will likely be a big help and I’d expect we’ll see him back in the lineup in two weeks.

Kenrick Ellis – Ellis filled in for the late scratch Mike DeVito, and ended up getting an ankle injury during the first quarter of the game and missing the rest of the game. Marcus Dixon and MTV backfilled most of the reps Ellis would have had.

Analysis: No one seems to know anything about his status, but I’m guessing we’ll hear more today during Rex’s media availability.

LaDainian Tomlinson – Tomlinson came down with the flu the morning of the game, which is why was looking so pained on the sideline during the game. Tomlinson provided a nice spark at the start of the game, but didn’t see much time during the second half.

Analysis: I’m sure he’ll be fine in two weeks.

Shonn Greene – During a fourth quarter play where he was bouncing the ball outside the tackle, Greene went down untouched in what he called a “tweak” after the game. He came back in shortly after leaving the field.

Analysis: A scary moment, to be sure, but it looks like Greene will be fine with some extra time.

David Harris – Harris left the game in the first half an ankle injury, but he returned for the second half of the game. In the locker room, he reporters that he felt "a step slower" during the second half, but expects that it’s nothing that will linger. He left the stadium limping, but not in a walking boot.

Analysis: A week away will probably be very good for Harris. I’d expect him to be back at full speed after the bye.

Jets win hooray

by Ted Berg on October 24th, 2011 at 11:01 am

On the fourth play of the Jets’ opening drive against the Chargers on Sunday, after a 1-yard run on first down left Gang Green in a 2nd and 9 situation, someone — presumably offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer — called for a pass.

This is notable because, as Mike Salfino pointed out last week, the Jets have passed the ball every single time they’ve faced a 2nd and 9 in the first quarter this season.

The Chargers sent linebacker Takeo Spikes charging just outside the Jets’ left tackle, where he was met by Jets fullback John Conner. Conner put a good first hit on Spikes but failed to hold his block, and Spikes slid off in pursuit of Mark Sanchez.

Sanchez, under pressure, threw the ball slightly behind tight end Dustin Keller cutting across the right flat. Keller had a step on linebacker Donald Butler but had to slow to juggle the pass. He corralled it briefly, but by that time Butler and linebacker Shaun Phillips had converged on the ball.

Butler stripped it from Keller during the tackle and returned it 37 yards for a Chargers touchdown.

Here’s why it’s so hard to point fingers in football games, to oversimplify the way we like and identify some single bugaboo as the problem on any team or drive or play.

None of Schottenheimer, Conner, Sanchez or Keller made a mistake so egregious to deserve all of the blame for the play. But if Schottenheimer had called something less predictable, if Conner had done a better job keeping Spikes at bay, if Sanchez had made a better throw or if Keller had held on to the ball, the outcome of the play would have certainly changed.

And all that said, it still took an excellent play by Butler (and a decent one by Spikes) to earn the touchdown.

Luckily, Sanchez made some better throws later in the game and Keller did a better job holding on to the ball. The play-calling appeared to improve, too, but then that’s the type of thing that generally operates on a positive-feedback loop: It’s always easier to call the next play when the last one worked.

The Jets won, which matters most. Plaxico Burress caught three touchdown passes. He deserves a fair share of the credit, but he likely wouldn’t be enjoying any if the Jets’ offensive line didn’t do a great job protecting Sanchez and opening holes for Shonn Greene, and if Greene, in turn, hadn’t done a fine job steamrolling defenders in the open field.

Keidel: Mike And The Mad Jet

October 24, 2011 11:35 AMBy Jason Keidel

It was the chat that went viral, that pinballed through the new media and its infinite social networks: two alphas who collided but never conceded. I watched the interview twice, listened to it thrice, and neither was nice.

To qualify myself, to shed my shill status, I will say I’ve met Mike Francesa once – before I joined WFAN. Indeed, I interviewed Mike for amNew York (a subsidiary of Newsday), a free paper you see bulging from those red boxes on every corner, buttressed against other rags stiff-arming extinction.

I expected ten minutes of Mike’s time, yet he gave me an hour. He answered every question and more. Forgive the platitude, but he treated me like a son.

And that was the last I ever heard from him. I clipped a personal note to the newspaper that ran my profile on him. I called him, “Facebooked” him, and tried to reach him through his former producer.

My goal was to get my foot into the famous, WFAN door. And I never got a response. So you could argue that my beef with him is greater than all of yours. Combined.

Did he big-time me? Perhaps But it’s not his job to get me a job. And I made it here without him, with help from some very kind people who are too humble to want their names plastered to this piece. So

I have no dog in this hunt. I don’t, however, see any major malfeasance in the infamous tête-à-tête you witnessed on Friday.

Should Mike have let it go after the third time he told Darrelle Revis it was a penalty? Perhaps.

Should Revis have answered the question more candidly? Probably. Should the PR minion not have ordered the cornerback to hang up? Clearly.

Mike should have acknowledged that Brandon Marshall stumbled into Revis, thus initiating the contact, and Revis should have admitted he tugged on Marshall’s jersey. And then both should have moved on. Unfortunately (and famously) they didn’t, which led to Revis making the silly assertion that Mike can’t judge the play because he never played in the NFL. So, by extension, you and I are not allowed an opinion, either. This is the default defense of many athletes backed into a corner. Most great players bristle at anyone who questions their genius. Perhaps it’s part of what makes them great.

This radio combat was catnip to those who dislike Mike. “He finally got a taste of his own medicine!” you bellowed, along with gratuitous references to his weight. Many of you see him as a surly radio boss whose tongue whips the first caller to question his opinion. Many of you have cringed while he pounds the magic button on the screen to his left after John Q Public says something Mike decides is dumb.

You may find it a faulty caveat, but Mike doesn’t consider callers his audience. Once your voice makes it to his studio, he considers you part of the show, subject to the bylaws of his logic. He makes a distinction between the callers and his overall audience, whom he cherishes. You may believe it or not. I do.

And now it’s time to tell the truth. You still listen. If all your bold declarations that you’ve forever turned the dial since Dog left are true, then how did you hear the interview? And why did the article on this site get more hits and comments than any in its young history? And why does Mike’s audience tower over the competition?

Both men are at the top of their profession, unwilling – if not unequipped – to have their authority questioned. Revis was raised in the galling poverty of Aliquippa, PA, brilliantly described in Sports Illustrated by S.L. Price. Revis makes a living fueled by those memories and the obdurate arrogance that he can’t be beat. On a lesser level, so does Francesa. No matter the vocation, few men surrender the Pole Position. Call it a draw.

To paraphrase the advertising mantra: all publicity is good publicity. Which means we tune in to watch celebrities, teams, and talk radio hosts fail as much as succeed. (How else do you explain the obsession with Lindsay Lohan?) The Revis Reaction was a perfect pretext to sound off on Francesa. Fine. Just stop pretending you don’t tune in.

We know Mike loves tweaking the Jets and their fans, which has helped create the friction between the franchise and Francesa, and will have you speed dialing the polarizing host, telling him to eat his words after Revis (who had another interception) and his Jets beat the favored Chargers. It should be entertaining. He is, after all, an entertainer. And, no matter your take, you can’t say you weren’t entertained.

Feel free to email me: Jakster1@mac.com

Gang Green beginning to look familiar

In a had-to-have-it game, the Jets reminded the world of the team they used to be

Cimini By Rich Cimini

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- They arrived fashionably late to the party -- almost too late. After six weeks of losing and bickering and searching for an identity, the New York Jets made a grand entrance into the 2011 season Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

In a had-to-have-it game against the San Diego Chargers, the Jets reminded everyone of the team they used to be. They beat up the Chargers 27-21, displaying the winning formula that was missing for nearly two months.

They controlled the line of scrimmage. They played defense in crunch time. They staged a fourth-quarter comeback -- all the stuff that made them so successful the past two seasons.

They also realized that a 6-foot-5 wide receiver with a small-forward frame might be a good option in the red zone. Say hello to Plaxico Burress, he of the three short touchdown catches.

"We saw our team, the one we envisioned at the start of the season," said Rex Ryan, looking more relieved than he had been in about a year. "We were slow to get it going, but we saw it."

The Jets came dangerously close to throwing their season overboard, but they're back in it with a two-game winning streak. This win was huge because it showed they can beat a quality opponent and it got them to the bye week at 4-3, setting them up for a second-half run.

"It definitely feels like a new season," guard Brandon Moore said.

It should because the Jets look like a new team.

It's hard to believe, but this marked the first time they outrushed an opponent (162-96). They tweaked their approach in the running game, switching to a "downhill" style for this game. They put their zone-blocking scheme on the back burner, emphasizing straight-ahead blocking with more double-team and combination blocks than usual.

Translation: Enough of the finesse garbage; they went smashmouth. And it worked, as Shonn Greene rushed for a season-high 112 yards, his breakout performance as the Jets' feature back.

This movement really began three weeks ago in a meeting room at the Jets' facility, where Ryan told his players they were renewing their vows with Ground & Pound. After two weeks of baby steps, they finally delivered the kind of performance that was commonplace in 2009 and 2010.

In Saturday night's team meeting, the players all but predicted a breakout game. They felt that "we should dominate this team physically," guard Matt Slauson said. "That was the theme, and we went out there and showed that our offense could do anything."

Back in the day, circa 2009, the Jets used to own the line of scrimmage. It has been a struggle this season for a variety of reasons, but Moore liked the switch to the downhill style.

"It helps you get into a groove, setting your pads and moving people off the ball," he said. "We have to get back to that."

Moore noted how "people laughed at us" when they talked about gradual improvement -- it sounded like whistling in the graveyard after losing to the New England Patriots -- but the Jets kept building on that, turning baby steps into strides.

"This is the football team we think we have," Ryan said. "We had more than a few hiccups along the way, but here we are."

It was a welcome-back kind of afternoon, especially for the defense, which made a statement.

Facing Philip Rivers and one of the top vertical passing attacks in the league, the Jets pitched a second-half shutout and rallied from a 21-10 deficit.

Not counting the lopsided wins over the offensively challenged Jacksonville Jaguars and Miami Dolphins, this was the first time the Jets actually held an opponent scoreless in two consecutive quarters. They held the Chargers to five first downs and 1-for-7 on third down in the second half, befuddling Rivers (16-for-32, 179 yards).

For the second time in six days, Darrelle Revis made the game-changing play, this time a fourth-quarter interception he returned 64 yards to set up the go-ahead touchdown. The Chargers were on the Jets' 31, threatening to build on their 21-17 lead. It was a terrific play by Revis, but credit the coaches on this one.

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine fooled Rivers. He gave Rivers a man-to-man look, but they ran a loaded zone. Rivers threw slightly behind Vincent Jackson, covered by Antonio Cromartie, and the ball deflected to Revis, who was behind the play in his zone. If he had been in man-to-man, he wouldn't have been facing the quarterback and the ball would've fallen to the turf.

A few minutes later, Kyle Wilson made his first career interception -- two takeaways in the fourth quarter. This was a big step for a defense that disappeared in the fourth quarter against the Patriots.

"They were in the high red zone and they were going to score," Revis said, describing the impact of his interception. "It's good for our defense to make a play and turn the ball over."

This could've been a disastrous day for the Jets. A loss would've crippled their playoff chances, and it would've been embarrassing for Ryan, considering his foot-in-mouth episode from last week. They don't have to live in that world because the Jets threw an early Halloween party and came dressed as themselves -- for a change.

Naturally, Ryan couldn't restrain his bravado, saying of the Chargers, "We'll probably see them again."

In the playoffs, he meant.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

Archived