Sanjay Lal sees Stephen Hill grasping the finer points + other good info

eboozer

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/08/jets_wide_receivers_coach_sanjay_lal_sees_stephen_hill_grasping_the_finer_points.html

This guy's a good beat writer!

Regarding Richardson:

But one thing that didn’t make the cut for the story was this comment from Richardson’s position coach, Karl Dunbar, about where Richardson needs to improve: “The thing that we’re trying to clean up is his eyes. Young guys get a tendency to look in the backfield. If you look in the backfield, they can trick you. You’ve got to understand reading your keys as far as attacking the offensive linemen first, and they’ll take you to the ball. That’s been probably the biggest thing we’ve been trying to clean up with him. A lot of young guys want to pop up and look in the backfield. If you do that, the play is over with.”

** As Richardson learns how to handle two gaps in the NFL – he was a one-gap player in college – he is getting some help from nose tackle Kenrick Ellis.“I ask Ken how to two-gap because he’s a heavyset dude,” Richardson said. “I really can’t take on blocks like he does. He just tells me to use my hands and make sure I stay low and drive my feet because most d-linemen stop their feet when they’re driving, so I make sure I keep my feet turning and working up field.”

On Safety Jaiquawn Jarrett

** Safety Jaiquawn Jarrett, the subject of another story this week, is learning from one of the NFL’s elite safeties – his position coach, Tim McDonald.

Jarrett detailed some of the pointers McDonald has offered: “Putting your eyes in the right place. If you put your eyes on your keys, they will take you to where you need to be. If you’ve got bad eyes, you’re not going to be able to play as fast as you want. If your eyes are in the right place and you get the perfect run/pass keys, you’re going to be able to fly around and make plays. You can’t make plays if you’ve got bad eyes.

“Sometimes if you’re in man coverage, you tend to look at the quarterback, but if that (receiver) is coming at you and you’re looking at the quarterback, you’re going to get beat. In coverage, if you’re in quarters (coverage), you’ve got to look at your man or look at the linemen, and if your eyes are in the backfield before you look at the key, you don’t know what’s going to happen. (McDonald) always makes sure he puts a lot of emphasis on putting your eyes in the right place, and that’s going to help you play so much faster.”

** McDonald noted that the Jets don’t split their safeties between free and strong. They just play two safeties who are both required to perform the duties of free and strong, depending on the situations. As McDonald has worked with Jarrett, he is focusing on trying to simplify what Jarrett sees on offense, by using a process of elimination, of sorts. This is the next step for Jarrett now that he has learned the Jets’ defensive system.

Bunch of other good stuff in the link posted!!

Archived