Smith Bounces Back

flgreen

Geno bounces back at Jets practice after rough stretch

antonelli-8510165545--415x415.jpg

Geno Smith (7) throws a pass during the Jets practice Tuesday.

Geno Smith rebounded from two consecutive poor practices this afternoon.

In 11-on-11 work the Jets’ rookie quarterback completed 11 of his 12 passes and threw a touchdown pass to Stephen Hill off a flea flicker. Smith did take one sack but had no turnovers.

Last Thursday in practice, Smith threw four interceptions, and Rex Ryan called his practice “brutal.” On Monday, Smith went just 1-for-6 with a pick and a sack.

Smith worked with the starting offense Tuesday, and part of his production came against the scout defense.

“He looked good [with his ankle]," Ryan said. "I still don’t think he’s 100 percent, but I think he’s certainly getting closer to that. But I thought he had his moments where he really threw the ball well.”

Working with the second-team offense, Mark Sanchez was fine, completing 4-of-7 passes but overthrowing an open Clyde Gates on a deep ball.

Ryan declined to name a starter for Saturday’s preseason game against the Giants. It’s expected that Smith will start, however.

Other practice notes:

-Rookie CB Dee Milliner barely practiced Tuesday, working on the side with a trainer for part of the afternoon. Ryan said Milliner continues to battle calf soreness.

“I think that’s still it,” he said. “It hasn’t been getting a whole lot better.”

-FB Lex Hilliard was injured during practice – it appeared to be a right shoulder – and looked to be in real pain. Hilliard left the field and did not return, and while Ryan was not sure of the injury’s extent, the coach suggested it looked a bit like a dislocated shoulder.

-DT Kenrick Ellis (back) and LB Josh Mauga (back) did not practice. Mauga rode the exercise bike. LB Calvin Pace, who appeared to get hurt in practice Monday, worked. WR Braylon Edwards did not practice.

- RB Joe McKnight did not wear the red jersey, meaning he’s been cleared for contact.

- CB Antonio Cromartie made a ridiculous one-handed jumping interception in drills. . . . TE Kellen Winslow and LB Danny Lansanah were involved in a mini-skirmish. . . . WR Rahsaan Vaughn made a terrific acrobatic catch on a deep ball from Greg McElroy.

Read more: Geno bounces back at Jets practice after rough stretch http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/geno_bounces_back_at_jets_practice_JGkxM1rFEGZ8LerXzEn12I#ixzz2cY9kXoBY

Archived