Blind-Side upgrade ~ ~ ~

kelly

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game. I also am not including Ryan Fitzpatrick on the list because he is not technically a Jet at this time.

No. 9: Ryan Clady

Last year’s ranking: Not ranked (not on team)

Position: Left tackle

How acquired: Traded by the Broncos on April 9 along with a seventh-round pick for a fifth-round pick

Years left on contract: 2

2016 Salary Cap figure: $6 million

Looking back at 2015: Clady’s last season in Denver ended before it started. He tore the ACL in his left knee during OTAs last May and missed the entire season, including the Broncos’ Super Bowl victory.It was the second time in three years that Clady suffered a major injury. He had a Lisfranc foot injury that cost him most of the 2013 season. The Broncos decided to trade him this offseason, largely because of his contract.

Outlook for 2016: Can he stay healthy? That is the big question. Clady has made the Pro Bowl in the last three seasons in which he has been healthy, the last appearance coming in 2014.If Clady can find his old form and stay on the field, he should be an upgrade over the retired D’Brickashaw Ferguson, whose play dipped last year. Clady comes to the Jets with a great résumé and could form a strong left side of the offensive line with James Carpenter.

While Clady’s contract is technically a two-year deal, his play would have to be outstanding for the Jets to hang on to him in 2017, which is essentially a team option year that carries a $10 million salary cap charge.

>      http://nypost.com/2016/07/15/jets-blind-side-upgrade-cant-afford-to-waste-time-proving-it/

Archived