Jets Camp Preview : Defense ~ ~ ~

kelly

2015 Highlights: After the Jets installed a new defense for the first time since 2009, Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers oversaw one of the stingiest units in the NFL. The Jets finished No. 4 in yards allowed while establishing a franchise mark for fewest rush yards allowed per game (83.4). Excelling in situational football, the Green & White ranked No. 1 in red zone defense (35.0%) and No. 3 in third down efficiency.  The Jets established a franchise record with just four rush touchdowns allowed and they held opposing quarterbacks to a league-low 57.1% completion percentage. Their 30 takeaways also tied for third most in the league.  In his first season back,  Darrelle Revisicon-article-link.gif  collected a team-high nine takeaways. Veteran stalwart  David Harrisicon-article-link.gif  led the way in tackles again with 128 and he racked up 4.5 sacks. And Muhammad Wilkersonicon-article-link.gif , who signed a multi-year extension on Friday, was selected to his first Pro Bowl after pacing the club with 12 sacks.

Usher in the New: The Jets have dramatically altered their look at linebacker. On the inside, veteran Erin Hendersonicon-article-link.gif steps into a starting role alongside David Harris. Rookie Darron Leeicon-article-link.gif, who was taken with the No. 20 overall selection in April’s draft, will back up Henderson initially at the “Mo” position while getting some work in sub packages. A playmaker at Ohio State, Lee could help the Jets early in coverage and as a blitzer. Veteran Bruce Cartericon-article-link.gif also can cover ground and he collected five interceptions with the Cowboys in 2014. While the Green & White expect a jump from second-year pro Lorenzo Mauldinicon-article-link.gif on the outside, veteranTrevor Reillyicon-article-link.gif will battle rookie Jordan Jenkinsicon-article-link.gif and CFL transplant Freddie Bishopicon-article-link.gif for time across the way. Jenkins, a three-year starter for Georgia, is a quality edge-setter with heavy hands along and a renowned work ethic. While NT Damon Harrison departed in free agency, the Jets will still field one of the most talented defensive lines in football and they like the versatility and athleticism Steve McLendonicon-article-link.gif andJarvis Jenkinsicon-article-link.gif will provide.

On the Mend: Wilkerson is recovering from a broken right fibula. Revis underwent offseason wrist surgery, but the star corner participated in individual drills this spring and expects to be ready to go for camp.

Keep an Eye On: While Revis will remain on his Island, there is an opening across the way.Buster Skrineicon-article-link.gif was solid last year at the nickel position and the strong 5’9”, 185-pounder will get the first crack on the outside. The corner competition will include Dee Millinericon-article-link.gif, a talented former first-round pick who had an impressive spring, and Marcus Williamsicon-article-link.gif, who led the club with six interceptions last season.

Key Question: Wilkerson, whose 28.5 sacks since the start of 2013 ranks third among 3-4 defensive linemen, continues to make progress with his rehab and could start camp on the PUP list. On the field, how will this linebacking corps featuring three new starters gel in the summer?

>         http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-Camp-Preview-Defense/2143ccd0-06d7-4459-9633-603c2dc76bea

The New York Jets open training camp July 27 at their year-round facility in Florham Park, New Jersey. Here’s a closer look at the Jets' camp, which wraps up on Aug. 24 :

~ ~  Repairs on Revis Island : Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis, whose play slipped last season, will test his surgically repaired wrist for the first time in contact drills. If he can't use his hands to jam receivers at the line, the trait that made him great, the 31-year-old Revis could be vulnerable in downfield coverage because he has lost a step, and he never had elite speed. He relies on his ability to dominate at the line of scrimmage.

rest of above article : 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61094/with-camp-approaching-jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-qb-drama-intensifies

•  
  •  

Former Jets Safety's a Fan of Green & White Defensive Backfield a Week Before Camp Opens

Erik Coleman took some time out from his busy media schedule — talking football for SNY, Sirius XM NFL Radio and the Pac-12 Network — to sign souvenir footballs at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center that will ultimately go to season ticket holders.

Then the former Jets safety (2004-07) put his pen away and returned to his specialty, giving a take on the Jets' secondary as the team prepares to report to this year's training camp a week from tomorrow."I think the Jets in the secondary have so much depth," EC told me. "They've created an atmosphere where they've built a lot of competition, and that really brings the best out of everyone. I'm excited to see how they play."

Here are Coleman's quick takes from around the Green & White defensive backfield :

Darrelle Revis  "I loved what he did last year. Everyone's going to get beat. That just comes with playing the position. It's just the life we live playing the secondary. But I think he did a great job in coverage, in coming up and tackling, in taking the ball away, and just being a leader."

The Corner Opposite Revis — "I'm excited to see how the other corners  evolve, Dee Milliner,Marcus Williams, Buster Skrine. It's going to be exciting to see how Buster performs out there because it's a different ballgame."

Skrine's Skills — "I think Buster's a guy who's up for the challenge. I love the way he approaches the game. He's very aggressive, he's physical and just a very good football player."

Marcus Gilchrist  "He's the leader back there, the communicator, the quarterback. He really did a good job in coverage, in center field. He took some great angles in making open-field tackles. People don't realize how tough it is to make an open-field tackle from the free safety position."

Calvin Pryor  "Calvin's a guy I'm looking forward to making that next big step. I think he has the potential to be one of the great strong safeties in the league, and it's going to be up to him whether he embraces that and continues to work and challenges himself to become the best safety out there."

What He Wants to See from Milliner — "If he can stay healthy and forget about the injuries and just play with almost an arrogance ... Playing that position, you have to be arrogant because you're the only guy that's going to help you. If he can get that back, I think he'll really help this team."

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Secondary-Quick-Hitters-from-Erik-Coleman-/2eff0314-ea79-490e-bf86-cd2b21efc0a1

Archived