Board Games!

Been raining a lot (Typical Florida weather) and got tired of the kids playing Video Games or being cooped up in their rooms so I figured we could play a board game... all we had in the house were Clue and an old Monopoly Set (Had NO interest in playing either) so I took them to a game and comic book store the other day... Place was HUGE, with RPG games, board games, toys, comics, and a large room just set up for gaming nights. Pretty cool place - a real Nerd Haven... I don't know crap about any of that stuff, and wasn't going to try some D&D type thing so I asked the employees about a good strategy board game that DOESN'T involve buying a million Figures, painting models or any of that... and they were nice and friendly but their suggestions were kinda meh. Then we found this:

51HZhhvwXHL__15981.thumb.jpg.50cf4d1218bb716038c98a2b9672d337.jpgI

Star Wars Rebellion... based on the OT and a very large scale game. Crazy detailed and after reading the rules, we went on YT to WATCH a couple of tutorials to figure out HOW to friggen' play it!

pufs6nckpf92pcq51mh0.thumb.webp.d0d3f5e707456bb00ab30a77df869ff0.webp

As you can see, its a BIT more involved than a standard old school board game, but less ridiculous or insane than an RPG WoW or Warhammer 20K type game... and last night we played it... Kids played as the Rebellion (of course) and I was the Empire. 4 Hours later, I managed to find the Rebel Base and annihilate it with one of my TWO fully armed and operational Death Stars... lol. Next time, I'll play as the Rebels... kept trying to remind the boys that it was an asymmetrical strategy Game that the Rebels CAN'T win militarily, but they kept trying to attack my fleet.... 

Anyway, we had a great time and will probably start doing Game Nights on Fridays or Saturdays (While Mrs. Engine retreats to our enclave to watch Hallmark Movies or something) ... just wondering if anyone else plays this type of Strategy Game and if there are any suggestions... I will DEFINITELY be picking up a new Axis and Allies to play - but I asked if they had that at the store and they do, but it's now a $150 GAME! WHAAAT?? This one was $90 but comes with 200 small figures/models for gameplay.

Anyway, any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Been raining a lot (Typical Florida weather) and got tired of the kids playing Video Games or being cooped up in their rooms so I figured we could play a board game... all we had in the house were Clue and an old Monopoly Set (Had NO interest in playing either) so I took them to a game and comic book store the other day... Place was HUGE, with RPG games, board games, toys, comics, and a large room just set up for gaming nights. Pretty cool place - a real Nerd Haven... I don't know crap about any of that stuff, and wasn't going to try some D&D type thing so I asked the employees about a good strategy board game that DOESN'T involve buying a million Figures, painting models or any of that... and they were nice and friendly but their suggestions were kinda meh. Then we found this:

51HZhhvwXHL__15981.thumb.jpg.50cf4d1218bb716038c98a2b9672d337.jpgI

Star Wars Rebellion... based on the OT and a very large scale game. Crazy detailed and after reading the rules, we went on YT to WATCH a couple of tutorials to figure out HOW to friggen' play it!

pufs6nckpf92pcq51mh0.thumb.webp.d0d3f5e707456bb00ab30a77df869ff0.webp

As you can see, its a BIT more involved than a standard old school board game, but less ridiculous or insane than an RPG WoW or Warhammer 20K type game... and last night we played it... Kids played as the Rebellion (of course) and I was the Empire. 4 Hours later, I managed to find the Rebel Base and annihilate it with one of my TWO fully armed and operational Death Stars... lol. Next time, I'll play as the Rebels... kept trying to remind the boys that it was an asymmetrical strategy Game that the Rebels CAN'T win militarily, but they kept trying to attack my fleet.... 

Anyway, we had a great time and will probably start doing Game Nights on Fridays or Saturdays (While Mrs. Engine retreats to our enclave to watch Hallmark Movies or something) ... just wondering if anyone else plays this type of Strategy Game and if there are any suggestions... I will DEFINITELY be picking up a new Axis and Allies to play - but I asked if they had that at the store and they do, but it's now a $150 GAME! WHAAAT?? This one was $90 but comes with 200 small figures/models for gameplay.

Anyway, any suggestions?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4815/the-campaign-for-north-africa-the-desert-war-1940

Hours and hours of fun!

pic339497.jpg

• Post of the Week 1