Eagles made a big pitch for WR Moss

faba

Source: Eagles make strong attempt to sign Moss, who stays with Patriots

By LES BOWEN

Philadelphia Daily News

bowenl@phillynews.com

FOR A while there yesterday, this was going to be a much better story. The Eagles, according to a source close to the situation, made a prolonged effort to sign free-agent wideout Randy Moss, who ultimately decided to stay with the New England Patriots for $27 million over 3 years, $15 million guaranteed. The Birds, who signed Pats corner Asante Samuel Friday, are said to have offered more total money and more of a guarantee. But apparently, they didn't offer enough to make Moss feel comfortable leaving the team that finally got him to the Super Bowl, in the 10th and most spectacular season of his career.

"I want to take time out to thank all of the fans for their support and for wishing me well in my return to New England," Moss, 31, wrote on his Web site. "I'm ready to get back. We have some unfinished business to take care of."

Agent Tim DiPiero confirmed to ESPN.com that Moss could have gotten more elsewhere. That elsewhere was Philadelphia, another source said, adding that Moss and coach Andy Reid held an extended conversation that led to an Eagles offer. Apparently, at one point, the Birds thought they were going to get Moss, who caught an NFL-record 23 touchdown passes last season.

Obviously, that would have been a strong answer to fans' pleas for a true No. 1 wideout, a need that has existed since another controversial, outspoken receiver left town nearly 2 1/2 years ago. Like Terrell Owens in 2004, Moss would have raised the offseason anticipation level sky high and guaranteed record crowds at Lehigh this summer.

The Eagles and other teams had seemed reluctant to get involved with Moss since free agency began at midnight last Thursday. For months, the word has been that he would stay with the Pats and potential suitors had to wonder if they would just be used to drive up the price for New England. That might have been exactly what happened.

The fact that just about every news outlet on the Eastern seaboard was able to eventually get confirmation of the Eagles' offer might lead one to believe that the Birds were eager for their fans to know they'd swung for the fences, even if they missed. But will this news satisfy the fan base, or only intensify the longing? And what do the Eagles do now?

At wideout, free agency is down to the D.J

Archived