Crowds Gather for Rex Ryan Book Tour

flgreen

Crowds gather for Rex Ryan book tour

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Last updated: Thursday May 5, 2011, 11:29 AM

BY J.P. PELZMAN

The Record

STAFF WRITER

HUNTINGTON, N.Y. – Here’s some friendly advice for Jets’ fans interested in having a copy of Rex Ryan’s new book signed by the author himself.

Arrive early. Very early.

Ryan, who has been on a promotional tour this week for his new book, "Play Like You Mean It," will be at Mendham Books at 84 E. Main St. from 7 to 9 tonight.

Ryan, clad in a gray suit with a white shirt and no tie, signed books on Long Island on Wednesday night, and drew a crowd estimated at 500 to 600 at The Book Revue.

The line of people waiting to meet the Jets’ coach snaked out of the bookstore, going from the second floor to the first floor and finally to the sidewalk, where fans waited in the rain.

"This is the highlight," Ryan said, just before he began signing, "when you get to meet the fans. This is the best part of it."

And it’s obvious the fans enjoy meeting him. When Ryan stepped out of a back room to go upstairs and begin signing, the scene resembled the red carpet at an awards show, as fans congregated like paparazzi, snapping Ryan’s picture as he walked by.

Ryan joked that he’s been on so many TV and radio shows since Monday that, "I’m tired of hearing myself talk. And I know that all Giant fans and Patriot fans are like, ‘Yeah, now you know what we feel like.’ "

The third day of Ryan’s promotional tour coincided with the third day of the Jets West passing camp, conducted by quarterback Mark Sanchez at his old high school in Mission Viejo, Calif. Sanchez and other locked-out skill-position players are doing classroom and on-field work.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Archived