Burress will start Sunday

Jetsfan80

Bit of a formality but there you go.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6877410/new-york-jets-plaxico-burress-start-sunday-play-bunch

Plaxico Burress to start Sunday

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- When it comes to Plaxico Burress, Rex Ryan is like a lot of football fans: He can't wait to see him on the field, catching passes.

Burress will get that opportunity Sunday night against the Cincinnati Bengals, and it won't be just a cameo appearance. The controversial wide receiver will start for the New York Jets and play into the second quarter with the rest of the regulars, Ryan announced Friday.

"We'll leave him in there and let him play a bunch," Ryan said, adding with a smile, "I'd like to see us throw the ball a little more to him."

Since returning to practice Wednesday, after sitting out several days with a sprained left ankle, Burress has been an afterthought in the passing offense. He has been practicing with the starters, but he has only one reception in team drills.

That he's on the field, playing without any apparent discomfort, is probably the most important thing. Burress, 34, is attempting to regain his old form -- no easy task considering he missed two seasons while serving a prison sentence for illegal weapons possession.

"I think we know what we've got, but absolutely I want to see him out there," Ryan said. "It will be great to see him going against another team."

Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason started the first preseason game. Presumably, Holmes and Burress will be the starters, with Mason the No. 3 receiver, against the Bengals.

Running back Shonn Greene will not play as he recovers from what the team calls a "low-grade skin infection" on his right foot. He didn't practice Thursday and isn't expected to again until next week. Greene is taking antibiotics, but Ryan says "nobody seems too concerned."

Nick Mangold (stinger) and Joe McKnight (concussion) are expected to play.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

Archived