Cimini Chat

flgreen

Welcome to SportsNation! On Friday, ESPNNewYork.com writer Rich Cimini stops by to chat about the Jets.

Cimini, longtime Jets beat writer for the New York Daily News and a Syracuse University graduate, covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Send your questions now and join Cimini Friday at 1 p.m. ET!

More Rich Cimini: Search | ESPNNewYork.com | Chats | Blog

Rich Cimini

(1:03 PM)

Hey, everybody. Happy Friday. Thanks for stopping by. Let's get started.

IRA (Staten Island)

Rich,LT made some remarks about their run game being predictable. I think he could be right. You know teams have gone to school on trying to figure out how to stop it and maybe they just have. Also the play of the OL has not helped. Your thoughts?

Rich Cimini

(1:05 PM)

I think it's a combo deal, Ira. yes, maybe there has been some predictability. I think the Oline isn't the way it used to be. Dropoff at RT. Loss of Turner as jumbo TE has hurt. Greene isn't making people miss or breaking tackles. Plus, it's hard to get in a groove when you're passing so much.

Matt (Middletown, NJ)

Hey Rich, Will the jets take Trent Dilfer's advice: bunch the offense up to pass and spread it out to run?

Rich Cimini

(1:07 PM)

Well, they have been spreading it out to run. They're among the league leaders in use of the 3WR package.

Dylan (Long Island, NY)

Do you think the Jets are getting to old in the Secondary? Do they need faster people?

Rich Cimini

(1:09 PM)

You can't say they're old in the secondary. The only guy who's 30 is Strickland. Do they need faster people? Certainly not at CB. Safety, maybe.

Rodney T (Astoria NY)

Rich I'm not too worried about our defense, they'll bounce back however it's week 4 now and I know Mangold is out but the O-Line hasn't shown much improvement since Pre-season!! Your thoughts???

Rich Cimini

(1:10 PM)

It's a legitimate concern, Rodney. They're simply not winning at the pt of attack. The most alarming game was Week 2, when they couldn't dominate vs. Jax's 7-man fronts. I think it'll get better, assuming Mangold gets back. Remember, Moore had hip surgery and missed most of camp. He'll come around.

Derek Hamilton (Waterloo Canada)

Hey Rich, thanks for giving us an opportunity to pick your brain. What?s going on with Holmes? Are his millions of dollars weighing him down and causing him to lack the ability to separate. I keep checking my watch but I can?t find Tone Time. He?s been MIA and if his milk box status doesn?t change this week the Jets are going to drop two in a row. How is it possible that the ?most talented Player on the field? is only averaging 44 yards a game. Who should we blame most, Holmes, Sanchez or Schotty.

Rich Cimini

(1:12 PM)

Why do we have to blame someone the most? I think it's a combo deal. Schotty has to do a better job of creating matchups for Holmes. Move him around, put him in motion, use a "bunch" formation, whatever it takes. He needs the ball in his hands. I wouldn't doubt his separation ability.

furmz (nyc)

i know its early, but the jets can't run. is it the o-line? is it the rbs (i saw your post about defenses reading the rb's depth)? or is it the wrs? noone scares the defense deep. i havnt seen one deep fly to open the defense. hence the d can focus on a short 10-15 yard field. do you think we need to stretch the field, give it a whirl downfield, to loosen up the d?

Rich Cimini

(1:14 PM)

Of course they'd like to stretch the field, but Sanchez didn't have time to throw vs. Oak. He got sacked once on a 3-step drop. How does that happen? They started running well vs. Oak, especially to the outside, but they got away from it in the 3rd Q.

Jimmy (Huntington)

Rich, I feel like "I'm beating a dead horse".....I CAN NOT believe that Mr. T has not signed some O-Line help! They place Rob Turner on IR....which is understood, but they use the roster spot on Maybin?! How about a veteran O-Lineman?! Poor Sanchez is going to be killed by the mid way mark of the season. Do you have any inside info on what Mr. T is thinking here?

Jimmy (Huntington)

Rich, I feel like "I'm beating a dead horse".....I CAN NOT believe that Mr. T has not signed some O-Line help! They place Rob Turner on IR....which is understood, but they use the roster spot on Maybin?! How about a veteran O-Lineman?! Poor Sanchez is going to be killed by the mid way mark of the season. Do you have any inside info on what Mr. T is thinking here?

Rich Cimini

(1:15 PM)

Yeah, here's the inside info: He really likes Baxter and Schlauderaff. What can I say? I don't think they're going to sign a vet OLM unless someone gets hurt.

DG (Paris, France)

Hey Rich, why haven't the Jets adjusted their running game to the proclivity of most teams to jam the box with defenders? Shonn Green seemed to do well on the outside against the Raiders the couple of times he ran that way. I recognize that LT is probably getting a bit old to flash his old magic around end, but I imagine that Joe McKnight could also benefit from a few snaps.

Rich Cimini

(1:17 PM)

McKnight has the ability to be effective on the perimeter, but the coaches don't trust him. He makes mental mistakes and fumbles. As I said earlier, yes, Greene was running well to the outside vs. Oak...and that stopped.

PTK (Cubelandia)

Rich - Will Baltimore be able to run on the Jets?

Rich Cimini

(1:18 PM)

I think the Jets' run D will bounce back from the Oakland debacle. They did a good job vs. Rice in the '10 opener, and I think they'll contain him again. They need to worry about Rice as a receiver. He's dangerous out of the backfield, especially on screens.

Sean (New York)

Any interest in Aaron Curry?

Rich Cimini

(1:21 PM)

I haven't heard that, but I will check into it. Can't imagine they'd give up much for him. He has the size (6-2, 255) to play in the Jets' system, but it's not as easy transition from 4-3 OLB to 3-4 OLB.

Ross (Syosset)

Why are you a Jets writer? You are always so negative about the Jets. Manish should have your job.

Rich Cimini

(1:22 PM)

Manish has a good job; he works for the Daily News.

Tim (Pearl River NY)

Big concern about the Offensive line. Whats the word on mangold?

Rich Cimini

(1:23 PM)

You should be concerned, Tim. From what I hear, it's unlikely that Mangold will play this week. But I'm not at practice today. It'll probably be game time, but my gut says he'll be ready for NE next week.

Steve (NY)

From a fellow Sachem High School grad...what's your predicted record for the Jets and was last Sunday a fluke or do they really need to worry about their defense at all?

Rich Cimini

(1:24 PM)

Go Sachem! I picked 10-6 for the Jets. I wouldn't worry about their defense. Well, maybe a little. It's not a dominant defense, but they should finish in the top 10.

Greg (New Jersey)

Hi Rich - a few questions about the lack of running game. I saw a few articles today on Plax's blocking skills, but do they miss Braylon on the edges? He was a terrific run blocker. Also, should they incorporate Connor more into the blocking schemes? It seems like he only plays 10-15 snaps a game - not enough for how great of a force they claim he could be.

Rich Cimini

(1:26 PM)

Plax has made a few very noticeable blocks. You're right, Braylon was an excellent blocker. I can see your point with Conner, but if you go with a 2-back look, you're taking a WR off the field ... and they believe the strength is at WR.

Justin (Queens)

Will Maybin be used strictly as a situational passer ala Westerman (fail)? Can he do what the other Jet OLBs can't; contain the edge? I'm sick of watching Pace and BT consistently get burned b/c of lack of speed.

Rich Cimini

(1:27 PM)

I can't imagine they'd use Maybin in the base defense. He'd get run over. He's probably only 230 lbs, give or take. I can see him as a situational rusher on Sun night.

Justin (Queens)

In your estimation Rich, what is the biggest factor in Shonne Greene?s lack of productivity compared to 09?? Oline subtraction? The loss of T.Jones? A waning confidence in his ability? YPA down from 5.0 to 3.3?that is startling.

Rich Cimini

(1:29 PM)

You're right, Justin, it is startling. He's the type of back that needs a hole. I don't think he has great vision and elusiveness, so if it's not there, he has to try to run over people ... and that isn't working because he's avg only 1.7 yards per contact ... 25th in the league.

Gray Hairs (Atlanta)

Wow......after 3 weeks it looks like Jets are a passing team. What's up with that? I thought the game plan starting the season was pound the ball, play action and let the"D" keep it close or win it....Do you think they can be a "passing" team cause I don't.....

Rich Cimini

(1:31 PM)

You're describing the plan from 2009 and 2010. Rex said at the start of camp that they were going to throw more this year. I don't think he thought it would be this much. Obviously, the coaches have lost confidence in the running game. I don't mind the increase in passing (to a point), but it hurts your defense because it lengthens the game.

Oz (CT)

Hi Rich, is a three game sample too early to say that perhaps Greene is not meant to be an every down back ? He was obviously way more effective the way he'd been utilized in the past. Maybe its time to let McKnight get some more touches with LT to mix it up and let Greene come on more towards the middle to second half of games as he did before ?

Rich Cimini

(1:32 PM)

I think you might be right, but I'm going to wait to see how things shake out in Balt before I make any dramatic statements regarding Greene. But you're right, it hasn't been good.

Chris (Franklin Park, NJ)

Hi Rich! Die hard fan going back to the Richard Todd and Wesley Walker days at Shea. Rex said that he has to fix this defense. What is he planning on. This defense has given up WAY too many big plays. They can't keep getting gashed like they have been. Time to put up or shut up. Thoughts?

Rich Cimini

(1:34 PM)

Legitimate concerns, Chris. The only good defensive game came vs. Jax, which had no chance with McCown at QB. What was DelRio thinking? Raiders made the Jets look old and slow. They'll fix the technical stuff, but there will be some teams (i.e. speed teams) that are bad matchups.

Eric (Philly)

Hi Rich...the Jets have been giving up touchdowns on the 1st drive way too often, going back to last year. What can they do to stop this?

Rich Cimini

(1:35 PM)

I don't know about last year (I'll check), but it's been happening this year -- TD drives on the opening drive of a half. And that is alarming because it goes directly to coaching, not being mentally and/or physically prepared.

Brian (Ridgewood)

Rich, while Mangold seems to be lightly practicing and Rex says he may play without practicing, do you think it makes more sense to give him an extra week off knowing that high ankle sprains can take a while?

Rich Cimini

(1:36 PM)

Personally, I wouldn't play him in Balt. It's a huge risk. This is a significant injury that sometimes can take 4-6 weeks. They risk further injury by playing him so soon.

Scot (Washington, DC)

Rich, thanks for the chat. The decision to bring back Aaron Maybin: a panic move, or do they really think they may have made a mistake in cutting him?

Rich Cimini

(1:38 PM)

Probably closer to panic move. Plus they're not happy with Westerman. I wouldn't be surprised if Maybin dresses Sunday night. They'd like to match his speed against McKinnie's girth and see what happens.

Scot (Washington, DC)

Obviously the running game has bene a real disappointment so far. I'm hearing lately that the real problem is not Shonn Greene but the O-line's failure to create holes. Do you buy that, or do you think it's mainly Greene, or a combination of the two?

Rich Cimini

(1:38 PM)

Definitly a combo.

Hakeem (Florence,NJ)

hey ric do u think Henne is better than Sanchez?

Rich Cimini

(1:39 PM)

No, I do not. If Jason Taylor really thinks that, he's delusional.

Dylan (Long Island, NY)

Is Schotty to blame for the week 3 loss to the Raiders? Or should we blame the D and O line for not being able to make plays.

Rich Cimini

(1:40 PM)

Blame it on the D. Anytime you give up 234 rushing yards ... well, you know.

DanNY (floral park)

will revis be on boldin all game, or do u think they will put him on smith on occasion?

Rich Cimini

(1:40 PM)

Revis on Boldin. Boldin is way too physical for Cromartie.

Peter (NYC)

Jets defense has been more "bend but dont break" this season. I know it worked in the playoffs last season, but they won last year in the regular season by blitzing DBs and playing cover 0 all the time.

Rich Cimini

(1:42 PM)

No, they didn't play Cover 0 all the time. But they did blitz a lot of DBs. As I wrote the other day, the Jets are sending extra pressure significantly less than last year. I think they're ranked 14th in the league in sending extra pressure.

Brian (Ridgewood)

Rich, i think last week was just a hiccup for the Jets D and i think they will eventually come around. That being said, the amount of finger pointing and blame that went around last week out of Scott, Leonard, and Pettine has to be concerning right?

Rich Cimini

(1:44 PM)

I don't think there was any finger point, although I must admit, I was surprised that Pettine questioned the effort of the D. It's always dicey when a coach questions effort. But I do agree with you, it was a hiccup. They'll get better, but this isn't a dominant D. Don't expect shut-down games every week.

Jason (NYC)

As someone who spends time around the players, do you think Shonn Greene has both the talent and psychological makeup to be a feature back in this offense? Is this simply a matter of no running lanes or is it his inability to either exploit them or get to the edge?

Rich Cimini

(1:46 PM)

Great question, Jason. I'm not too into the psychological thing. If you could've met Curtis Martin, you never would've thought he'd be a great RB. He's so mellow off the field, but a beast on it. But I do question Greene in terms of vision, elusiveness and instinct. The Jets use a zone-blocking scheme and you need a cut-back runner -- i.e. Tomlinson -- in that scheme. Greene is a straight-ahead bull.

DaQwan (Jamaica, NY)

Do you have any stats on Kyle Wilson? Seems like he has been pretty shutdown in the nickel this year.

Rich Cimini

(1:47 PM)

Don't have stats handy, but Wilson has improved.

Oz (CT)

I like your coverage as well as Manish's and Jenny's too. But Leberfeld,,, seriously ? Can I just get his press pass.

Rich Cimini

(1:48 PM)

No comment, Oz.

Jon (Halifax)

After three games Sanchez has a completion percentage around 63%, do you think this trend continue or will he drift back toward his career average?

Rich Cimini

(1:49 PM)

Funny, but Brunell told me before the season, he'd be shocked if Sanchez isn't at 63% or better. I think he'll stay there.

Evan (New York)

Thanks for all the great stuff Rich. Last week we only completed 4 passes to wide receivers. This is starting to remind me of the Paul Hackett years. Who bears most of the blame, Sanchez, Schotty, or the line? I continue to have serious questions about Schotty's ability to run the offense; do Rex, Woody or Mike T share those concerns?

Rich Cimini

(1:51 PM)

They did a terrible job of adjusting last week, and Schotty more or less admitted that yesterday. If they see zone, they should throw immediately to Keller over the middle. As far as the opinions on Schotty, I haven't heard anything negative.

Amanda (NY)

will Lee Evans be playing this weekend?

Rich Cimini

(1:51 PM)

Doesn't appear that way.

Anthony (NYC)

So far Rich is it fair to say the one positive that we've seen so far has been Kyle Wilson working out with Revis this past off-season?

Rich Cimini

(1:53 PM)

Yes, Wilson has been a positive, not the only one. I think Keller's having an excellent year. Plax has been good. Sanchez, for the most part, has been solid. Revis is Revis. Thought Pace was having a good year, then came Oak hiccup.

Sean (NYC)

Do you think that part of the Jets issues lately have been a result of poor drafting since Rex joined the team? Wilson, McKnight and Greene have not lived up to expectations, Vlad is a bust, and it is not looking good thus far for Ellis and Powell....

Rich Cimini

(1:54 PM)

I agree with your Vlad assessment, and maybe McKnight, too, but don't write off Greene and Wilson yet. And you can't write off Ellis and Powell. Ellis has a lot of raw talent, but he doesn't know what the hell he's doing yet.

Scot (Washington, DC )

Rich, what's the mood in the locker room right now? Are they mad over last Sunday's loss, embarrassed, hungry for a win, or complacent? I'd like to see more fire in this team.

Rich Cimini

(1:55 PM)

Oddly, I didn't notice any fire. Weird. It was matter of fact, biz as usual. I suppose that could be interpreted as alarming, but let's see what happens in Balt.

oscarfactor (kansas city)

what's the latest about Kenrick Ellis - legally and otherwise?

Rich Cimini

(1:56 PM)

Court date in Nov.

bryan (CT)

hey rich, il be the first to admit the jets have some flaws they need to get fixed, but isn't it a good thing to see jets fans very upset about being 2-1? in years past fans would have been perfectly happy with this start to the season. shows a real change in mindset and attitude around the organization which I feel is the first step to winning. thoughts rich?

Rich Cimini

(1:58 PM)

There was an over-reaction to the loss, fueled, in part, by none other than Namath. It was only 1 loss. It's not a crisis. Now, if they have a 3-game losing streak, different story.

Sean (NYC)

When Pettine was speaking about players being lazy versus Oakland, who did you think he was referring to? Westerman?

Rich Cimini

(1:59 PM)

He didn't name names, but I imagine Westerman has to be on the list. brutal play on the TD run.

Anthony (NYC)

Hey Rich with everyone worried about the defense...... in particular whats up with Scott, I'm not too crazy about what I've seen since the before last seasons playoff run. Thoughts

Rich Cimini

Scott played really well vs. Dallas and Jax, then stunk vs. Oak.

kevin (Boston)

Why not get Plax involved early? Like onthe first dirve?Some Schotty law against this?

Rich Cimini

First play last week was to Plax.

Bryan (CT)

Rich, probably stupid question here, but is Revis TOO good for his own good?? Yeah he takes away 1 receiver, but never gets thrown to so all his playmaking ability lost, and other corners and DBs are constantly targeted making them look bad (i.e cromartie).

Rich Cimini

(2:01 PM)

I see your point, but the answer is no. When Revis eliminates a guy, it's like 10 defenders vs. 9 off players. it allows them to roll coverage to the other side.

Ryan (Florida)

Kenrick Ellis active this week? Also, I read earlier in the week you mentioned the Jets might use the extra Tackle set on offense to get the running game going, any signs of that in practice?

Rich Cimini

(2:02 PM)

They don't let us watch practice. But who would they use? Ducasse? Uh, oh.

Oz (CT)

Hi Rich, with all his athletic ability, why does Cro seem to get penalized so much ?

Rich Cimini

(2:02 PM)

Lack of concentration.

Rich Cimini

(2:04 PM)

I'm out of time, folks. Thanks for the questions. I'm not sure if my prediction has been posted on the web site yet, but I'm taking the Jets. Everybody is over-rating the Ravens because of last week. Rex, Pettine know how to get into Flacco's head. Stop Rice and they win. Anyway, have a great weekend. Enjoy Baltimore if you're going. Take care, Rich

Archived