Jets News 6-14

flgreen

Rex yuks it up with Adam Sandler

June, 13, 2012

Jun 13

8:02

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

ny_ryan_sandler2_576.jpgGetty ImagesTo promote his new movie, "That's My Boy," actor Adam Sandler participated in a conference call Wednesday with Rex Ryan, who plays a cheesy Boston lawyer in the raunchy comedy.

For those not familiar with the storyline, Ryan is a huge Patriots fan who keeps a Bill Belichick bobblehead on his desk and a Tom Brady poster on his office wall. His character is Jim Nance, named after the former Patriots running back from the 1960s. All told, Ryan appears in three scenes in his big-screen debut. The movie opens Friday.

"We thought he would be funny because we wanted a lawyer who could handle degenerates well, and we knew Rex could handle anybody," said Sandler, a lifelong Jets fan who grew up with an Emerson Boozer jersey.

Sandler said Ryan "nailed" his performance.

"He didn't realize he'd have to do about 600 takes, but he rolled with the punches," Sandler said. "He got deep into his character. He had a hard time letting go. He was asking some of the crew members who had DUIs if he could represent them."

During the call, Sandler and Ryan -- speaking from New York and New Jersey, respectively -- engaged in a humorous back-and-forth. They even talked a little football.

Sandler: "We're getting a ring, coach."

Ryan: "I don't want to make a guarantee. We know how that worked last time."

Sandler refuted the rumor that he tried to recruit free-agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha to the Jets last summer. Ryan told Sandler he loves his current defense.

"This might be the best defense we've had since we've been here," Ryan said.

Ryan was asked to name another NFL head coach who would thrive in a comedy. He picked, of all people, Belichick.

"He's a funny guy," Ryan said. "It's just that a lot of people don't know it."

Sandler joked that Belichick would be the first person to show up for the Academy Awards in a sweatshirt.

(Sidenote: Sandler said he had to receive permission from Belichick and Brady to depict them in the movie.)

Naturally, Tim Tebow came up during the call, one reporter wondering if the devoutly religious quarterback would appreciate the crude humor.

"If Tim does see it," Sandler said, "I'm sure he'll have a good time."

Spoken like a true promoter.

Richardson hopes to broker future with Jets

96c2e45c458198692dcc980c89b9.jpg

JED JACOBSOHN/GETTY IMAGES

Richardson played for the Raiders under Rex Ryan's brother, Rob.

More about Jets

KRISTIAN DYER

NEW YORK

Published: June 13, 2012 7:24 p.m.

Last modified: June 13, 2012 7:38 p.m.

The Jets knew that they were getting a five-technique defensive end when they brought Jay Richardson into the team’s offseason activities and minicamp, what they didn’t know was that they got an insurance broker as part of the deal.

Cut by the Seahawks after the 2010 season, Richardson had all but given up his dreams and ambitions of playing in the NFL and had moved back to Columbus, Ohio to focus on his insurance company. In 2007, Richardson, along with partners Roy Johnson and Sean Morrow, went from commodities trading to a focus on insurance “where we saw the potential to make real money.” They created JR and Associates to become insurance brokers.

“I wasn’t playing football and I figured that was it, I’m done. So after taking a few weeks to mentally understand that — and it wasn’t easy — I had my license in Ohio and set about with the business,” Richardson told Metro New York. “I wasn’t expecting the call I got from the Jets in April. It was exciting.”

The day-to-day operations of the business can be difficult to keep up with while being involved in minicamp, so Richardson has to rely on his business partners to keep him briefed and updated on the important issues of the day. As he sat outside his locker following Wednesday’s morning session of minicamp, Richardson was scrolling through his smart phone. He claims “eight missed calls” and at least 10 emails waiting for his reply. They range from minutiae to business development.

An entrepreneur has to be good at multi-tasking, but rarely do they have to squeeze conference calls between weightlifting sessions and defensive meetings with coordinator Mike Pettine.

“I’m here at the facility from say 7:30 in the morning till maybe 5 in the night, so that is more than a nine-hour day. We get an hour long break so I can respond to some emails and things for a half-hour of that time; maybe that long,” Richardson said. “I get back to the hotel and I open up the laptop and can work for a couple more hours there and after that, put in an hour or two of studying the playbook.”

“That’s long days.”

Richardson, though, wouldn’t have it any other way. He is excited about the growth of his company, which brokers insurance ranging from health insurance to life insurance and accident insurance for businesses. It can be time-consuming, but on any given day he can be enrolling new clients into policies, meeting with individuals to plan for the best policies to fit their needs and meeting potential clients, many of whom are thrilled that they’re meeting an NFL player.

An insurance salesman is supposed to be relentless in trying to land a new client, and Richardson has shown that same desire on the football field too.

As dedicated as he is watching his business grow, he clearly has a passion for the game of football as well. He wasn’t expecting the call from the Jets this past April, but having played for Rob Ryan in Oakland (the brother of Jets head coach Rex Ryan), he is familiar with the type of defense the Jets will employ.

“I had always played a 4-3 and here I’m in a 3-4, but they want me to play the five-technique, which I’ve played my entire career,” Richardson said. “So I’m real comfortable with it and what they’re asking me to do. Plus, this is a great locker room and I love my teammates.”

Plus, they might need insurance.

Injured Jets Safety Landry Optimistic He’ll Be At Training Camp Ready To Go

June 13, 2012 9:12 PM

1059985321.jpg?w=300

LaRon Landry, then of the Washington Redskins, tackles Johnny Knox of the Chicago Bears during a game in 2010. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — New York Jets safety LaRon Landry is “ahead of schedule” in his rehabilitation from Achilles and heel injuries, and hopes to be healthy for the start of training camp next month.

Landry, signed to a one-year deal in March, says Wednesday that he spent much of the offseason working on his own in Arizona and receiving “advanced” non-surgical treatments to heal the injuries that were “more of like a bone issue,” and cut short last season with the Washington Redskins. He says his Achilles is “totally healed” and “I’ve been ahead of schedule.”

Landry is with the team for mandatory minicamp, but staying mostly on the sideline during practices. He has done some agility drills and felt good, and expects to be “ready physically and mentally” for training camp.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Jets have only themselves to blame for Revis situation

Posted by Mike Florio on June 13, 2012, 10:16 PM EDT

98659287_crop_650x440.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

The Jets thought they had come up with a foolproof plan for preventing another Darrelle Revis holdout.

By signing him in 2010 to a new deal that paid $32.5 million over the first two years but only $13.5 million over the next two, the Jets included a term aimed at preventing another holdout after the truly big money was paid out on the front end. The Jets promised to wipe out the 2014 through 2016 seasons of the contract, which pay a mere $3 million per year, and not to use the franchise or transition tag on Revis after the 2013 season, on one condition. He can’t hold out.

If Revis does hold out, the full seven years apply, including the final three seasons at a fraction of his actual and/or perceived value.

It all makes sense on paper. But now that Revis has cashed the checks paying him $32.5 million, he wants more. And the best way to get more, as he learned two years ago and when he was drafted in 2007, is to hold out.

The possibility first came up while the ink was still drying on the deal. We reported at the time that a holdout could be coming after two seasons. Peter King of SI.com then asked Revis if he’ll hold out when the deal softens in 2012, and Revis said this: ”That’s a great question. If I continue to play ball like I usually do, we’ll probably be back at that same position we were this year.”

The next day, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported that the Jets were “floored” by the remarks.

They were “floored” because they thought they’d created a holdout-proof contract. They hadn’t.

If Revis wants to hold out, he’ll hold out. And if the Jets cross their arms and say, “Now we’ve got you at $22.5 million over five years,” he’ll keep holding out. And he’ll hold out until he gets the deal he wants.

This time, the Jets will likely give him a true long-term retirement deal, not a contract that Revis can later characterize as a “Band-Aid.”

In that regard, Revis subtly is twisting against the Jets a term owner Woody Johnson used when explaining the options that the team was considering during the prior Revis holdout. At the time, Johnson explained that the Jets had offered Revis a short-term “Band-Aid” or a long-term deal. The Jets thought they were giving Revis a real four-year deal, and Revis now views it as a two-year “Band-Aid.”

Regardless, the Jets should have realized that Revis wouldn’t hesitate to come back to the table after making $32.5 million and then facing a reduction to a rate of $6.75 million per year. And that he wouldn’t hesitate to hold out, regardless of any provision in the contract aimed at blocking one.

NY Jets coach Rex Ryan plays huge New England Patriots fan in Adam Sandler’s new movie ‘That’s My Boy’

Character refers to Bill Belichick as 'genius,' loves Tom Brady's jawline

By David Sanchirico / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 11:49 PM

l

image.jpg

Luis M. Alvarez/AP

Jets coach Rex Ryan is no stranger to the camera, but is not usually complimenting the Patriots while the tape is rolling. However, in Adam Sandler's 'That's My Boy' the coach plays a crazed New England fan.

Jets fans could be unsettled when they see their beloved Rex Ryan complimenting Tom Brady's jawline and referring to Patriots coach Bill Belichick as a "genius."

Ryan's role in Adam Sandler's "That's My Boy" is minor; the coach only appears in about five minutes of the raunchy comedy, which opens nationwide on Friday.

His character, named Jim Nance after the star running back for the 1960s Boston Patriots, is a lawyer whose office is decorated with Patriots paraphernalia, Bruins jerseys and Red Sox pennants.

Though the coach ironically praises the rival coach and quarterback in "That's My Boy," Ryan said there is little bad blood between him and the New England duo.

"Bill talked to (brother and coach Rob Ryan) and said, 'I can't believe Rex is involved with this with my bobble head on his desk,’” said Ryan in phone conference on Wednesday. "He is looking forward to watching it."

Sandler's character Donny Berger, a dysfunctional father with a penchant for a beer and a love for strip clubs, faces jail time for owing the IRS over $40,000. Berger calls on lawyer Nance for moneymaking ideas to avoid jail time.

To Sandler, Ryan was ideal for the part of a tacky lawyer with a deep love for New England sports.

"We thought it'd be funny because we wanted a lawyer who could handle degenerates well," Sandler said. "And we thought Rex could handle anybody."

Sandler was also impressed that Ryan prepared for the movie like he was game planning for an AFC East showdown.

"To be honest, he was 100 percent prepared," Sandler said. "Like every coach, he was prepared and nailed it. He didn't realize he'd have to do 600 takes, but he rolled with the punches."

Ryan is stacking up quite the acting resume.

He appeared on "CSI: New York" and had a few memorable scenes when HBO filmed the Jets' 2010 training camp for the show "Hard Knocks."

What's next? Ryan's acting career may be on pause until the Jets reach the pinnacle of the football world.

"We're getting a ring, coach," Sandler said to Ryan during Wednesday's phone conference.

Ryan chuckled but was quick to dispel any notion that he's guaranteeing his Jets will play in Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans.

"I don't want to make that guarantee," Ryan said. "We know how that went last time."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-coach-rex-ryan-plays-huge-england-patriots-fan-adam-sandler-movie-boy-article-1.1095362#ixzz1xlojHwnJ

Jets quarterbacks Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow bulk up

Thursday, June 14, 2012

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Print | E-mail

FLORHAM PARK — How strong the Jets really are at the quarterback position in 2012 remains to be seen.

But there is no denying the literal strength recently added by their top two quarterbacks, Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow. Both players spoke Wednesday of their off-season conditioning, and how they believe some extra muscle will help them on the field.

Sanchez did extra weightlifting during the off-season to improve the strength of his lower body. Meanwhile, Tebow has become even more chiseled. After weighing about 240 pounds while playing for Denver last season, he has bulked up to 249, apparently to be heavy enough to function in the myriad amount of roles the Jets envision for him.

"His lower body strength is completely different than it was before," new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano said of Sanchez, adding the lower body "is where you get your torque. That's where you get all the things you need to throw the ball with the velocity that you want to throw it with. Right now, I have seen him make in practice just about every throw that I need to see."

"I needed to put on a little weight [in the] lower body," Sanchez said Wednesday. "That helps you throw the ball better, not only early in the season in camp, when you get a lot of reps, but as the year progresses. I'll keep a couple of those exercises and workout routines and carry them with [me] the whole year and hopefully that will put you through the entire season."

Sanchez struggled down the stretch last season, committing nine turnovers in the last three games. He doesn't blame that on lack of strength, but said, "We really tried to take a little bit of a different approach, a proactive approach. Start early [and] gain a little more weight so if you lose some, it's OK and you're in the right spot come January."

Sanchez said he intends to do some lifting during the season to maintain that strength.

"I feel that I'm just training hard," said Tebow, who already is being used as a protector on the punt team in practice and could have other roles. "I'm trying to be in shape, be strong enough to do anything, but also fast enough to run around a little bit as well."

Coach Rex Ryan said "there may be times" Tebow could run the first-team offense during training camp. "We'll see," he added.

However, a Jets' spokesman, wanting to avoid the appearance of any quarterback controversy, said Tebow would play with the first-team offense only in Wildcat formations and not in the conventional offense. Yet he actually got two snaps with the first-team offense near the end of practice Wednesday.

When asked if there was any significance to that, a smiling Tebow replied, "No, I don't think so."

He added that Sparano "does it every now and then, kind of throws you in there."

Tebow also was asked about how ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi said he needed to "disappear" and not speak to the media so much, because it clouds the issue of who is the team's "voice."

"To be honest, I just do what I'm told," Tebow said, "and, on this day, I'm told to talk to you. So I'm talking to you. I don't get paid enough to make all those decisions. I just do what I'm told … That's something you'd figure [bruschi] would understand. I'm doing what I'm asked to do."

"I think we were the only people who never had a problem with it, it seemed like," Ryan said of Tebow's addition to the squad.

Notes: Sanchez eager for WRs to return

June, 13, 2012

Jun 13

11:54

PM ET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- No Santonio Holmes. No Stephen Hill. No Patrick Turner. For the second straight day in minicamp, the Jets operated with a skeleton receiving corps.

"We have to get them on the field," QB Mark Sanchez said. "I mean, on paper it looks great. We just have to push each other to get healthy, stay healthy and take care of our bodies. We really need those guys out on the field."

All three are dealing with hamstring issues. Holmes and Hill worked in positional drills, but no team drills. Sanchez ended up throwing to the likes of Jeremy Kerley, Chaz Schilens, Royce Pollard and DaMarcus Ganaway.

Rex Ryan said he's not worried about Hill, whom they expect to play a significant role as a rookie, falling behind.

"Without question, Stephen Hill is further along than I thought he'd be," Ryan said.

REVIS QUESTION OF THE DAY: Reiterating the company line, Ryan avoided any discussion of Darrelle Revis and his contract situation.

DEE-FENSE: Once again, the Jets opened in a 4-3 as their base defense, with Muhammad Wilkerson, rookie Quinton Coples, Mike DeVito and Sione Pouha on the line. But they changed fronts throughout practice, using their customary 3-4 as well. ... Rookie LB Demario Davis saw time in the first-team sub package. ... Sure sounds like the Jets have no plans to re-sign Jim Leonhard, based on the way Ryan was talking up Eric Smith, Yeremiah Bell and LaRon Landry.

CONGRATS: The Jets, in conjunction with the Public School Athletic League, announced two $5,000 "Play Like a Jet" scholarship winners -- C’Ara McCrea from Mount Vernon, N.Y., and Brutus Gorum, from the Bronx.

McCrea graduates from Fredrick Douglas Academy this June and was a member of the track team. She will begin her studies at Syracuse in the fall. Gorum graduates from Harry S. Truman High School and was a member of the Football team. Gorum will begin his studies at Penn State.

"Syracuse and Penn State, huh?" Ryan said during the presentation. "How 'bout Southwestern Oklahoma?"

That, of course, is his alma mater.

Recovering Landry looks good to Jets

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:02 AM, June 14, 2012

Posted: 2:57 AM, June 14, 2012

When LaRon Landry reported for Jets mini-camp this week, his new teammates were ready for him.

“They give me a hard time for not being here, like, ‘Who is the new guy? Who is this guy?’ ” Landry said. “It’s all fun games, but when it comes down to it, all those guys welcomed me with open arms.”

Landry was absent for most of the voluntary portion of the Jets’ offseason program last month as he recovered from a left foot injury that ended his 2011 season with the Redskins. Landry said he spent the time in Arizona, getting treatment and rehabilitating the injury with doctors who performed stem-cell and platelet-rich plasma treatments on him earlier this year.

The 27-year-old safety reported this week for mandatory mini-camp and heard positive news from the Jets’ doctors. Coach Rex Ryan said Landry is “way ahead” of where the team expected him to be coming off Achilles and bone problems in his foot.

Still, he is unable to participate in practice this week. He has been working with the trainers off to the side, doing agility drills and some running. While Landry would not say he will be fully healthy for training camp, he sounded optimistic.

“As of right now, I’m progressing,” Landry said. “Things are looking real well. I shocked myself, too, so I’m looking forward to it. I can’t wait to get back out there and be with the team.”

The biggest question is how much the missed time will hurt Landry in learning the playbook after signing with the team in March.

But Landry said he felt the right decision was to spend the time with the doctors in Arizona rather than with the Jets in New Jersey.

“That was my choice and decision to go back so they could finish, complete whatever I had to do rehab-wise and strength and conditioning, and I felt real comfortable going back and doing so and I had no doubt that I would come back and I’d be ready,” Landry said. “I’d be ahead of the game.”

Landry said the Achilles injury is completely healed, but he still has a problem in his heel bone. He said he underwent an initial “Amniomatrix” stem-cell treatment in February and was scheduled to have three rounds of treatment. But since he responded so well to the first he did not need the next two.

“I shocked myself,” Landry said. “Unfortunately I’m not there yet, but I’m not taking any steps back, everything is progressing right now. I feel great about it.”

The Jets hope to team Landry with Yeremiah Bell and Eric Smith in a three-safety rotation. Smith has worked with Landry the past two days to help him learn.

Defensive players said Landry has shown a command of the defense in the meeting rooms. Now he has to show it on the field.

“You would like to see when we got back here to see him practicing and getting in the mix,” cornerback Darrelle Revis said. “I think we look at it as a defense of getting the most reps you can. It is something when you’re not here especially coming in. This is a whole new defense for him, but he’s smart enough. You can see it in the meeting rooms when he’s answering questions when he gets called on. We know what type of player he is. Right now, we just have to make sure he gets healthy and out on the field.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/laron_looks_good_to_jets_tHP2jHmMHKUNSXeMKsrb1H#ixzz1xlqdWh2v

Bigger, Stronger Tim Tebow Gets Snaps With Jets’ First Team

June 14, 2012 6:59 AM

Share and see what your friends read on CBS Local.What's this?

tim-tebow.jpg?w=300

(credit: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (WFAN/AP) – Tim Tebow is a bigger player now than ever before. And, it’s not just from being in the New York spotlight.

The Jets backup quarterback revealed Wednesday after the second day of minicamp that he weighs a rock-solid 249 pounds – about 7-to-9 pounds heavier than last season with Denver – and the team would like him to be at 250 to start the season.

“I feel that I’m just training hard,” said Tebow, voted by teammates as the second-strongest offensive player behind only tight end Dustin Keller. “I’m trying to be in shape, be strong enough to do anything, but also fast enough to run around a little bit as well.”

The Jets plan to use Tebow in various roles, including in the wildcat-style offense and on special teams as the punt protector. He might also potentially get a few carries out of the backfield, and running with the ball is something Tebow showed the Jets up close that he’s effective at during his 95-yard winning drive last season while with the Broncos.

He will mainly serve as the backup to Mark Sanchez, which the Jets have repeatedly insisted since acquiring Tebow in March.

“I think we were the only people who never had a problem with it, it seemed like,” coach Rex Ryan said. “We look at it as we’re adding a good football player, which we did. Is he behind Sanchez on the depth chart? Yes. Just like every team has a guy behind their starting quarterback, but he brings so much more to the table.”

Ryan said Tuesday that Tebow would take snaps only with the second-team offense during training camp, but then said Wednesday that “there may be times” that he could play with the first-stringers, “but right now, he’ll be with the 2′s.”

Realizing that Ryan’s comments could potentially create a stir, a team spokesman tried to clarify, saying that the coach meant Tebow might play with the first-teamers only in wildcat-style situations and not in the conventional offense. But, Tebow then ended up taking two snaps with the first-team offense near the end of practice.

So, was there any special significance to that?

“No, I don’t think so,” Tebow said with a laugh, adding that offensive coordinator Tony Sparano “does it every now and then, kind of throws you in there.”

Tebow won’t push to get time with the first-team offense for experience, though, saying he’s looking on the bright side.

If you do a good job with the group you’re with, you should do even a better job with the 1′s,” he said.

Tebow also said that, sure, there’s some competition on the field.

“Obviously when we go out there, we compete hard in everything we do,” he said. “But we have a great relationship. I think it really helps when you’re rooting for the other guy as well. I’m rooting for him. I believe he’s rooting for me.”

During the first two days of minicamp, Sanchez has outperformed Tebow - as expected. His passes have appeared to be more on target, and he threw with some nice zip on Wednesday, in particular.

“I feel the ball jumping off my hand,” Sanchez said.

The fourth-year quarterback has also packed on some muscle to his frame, weighing 230 pounds – 5 more than last season. Sparano likes how much improvement Sanchez has made with his lower-body strength this offseason.

“It’s important to me not just to impress Rex, but really compete – against myself, against the outcome of last season, against any kind of negative feelings we had moving on from last year,” Sanchez said. “And understand why we didn’t play as well as we did, how can we fix it? And now is my chance to do it. I just wanted to make sure I was prepared and ready to handle the season.”

Harris: New Dad, New Man on the Field

Posted by Eric Allen on June 14, 2012 – 9:13 am

You can call “The Hitman” soft at your own risk, but Jets middle linebacker David Harris is feeling warm and fuzzy. And he has great reason to have plenty of joy in his heart considering he and his wife, Jiali, are celebrating the early days of their precious 5½-month-old daughter, Alya.

“She’s just a bundle of joy,” Harris told me on our recent Jets Minicamp Live show. “Every time I come home, she has a big smile on her face. She’s not crawling yet, but she’s trying to. She’s rolling and she’s always in a playful mood. It’s always a good thing to come home to her after a long day of work.”

Like Alya, Harris keeps rolling along. The 6’2”, 250-pounder is preparing for his sixth NFL season and one fan asked how it makes him feel that head coach Rex Ryan has stated that he’d do anything he could to help Harris earn a Pro Bowl invitation.

“I don’t know if there’s much that Rex can do, but all I have to do is control what I do on the field and that’s getting better each day, perfecting my craft, being the same person every day and trying to be a leader on this defense,” he said. “Everything else that happens would be great, but I’m more interested in helping the team out any way I can.”

It is the essence of David Harris — substance over style throughout his career. Last season, he quietly again led the team with 117 tackles (78 solo), tied for the team lead with four INTs, and was second on the club with five sacks. The perfection of the craft continues.

“One thing I’m focusing on this offseason is trying to become a step quicker, becoming leaner and just trying to be lighter on my feet,” Harris said. “I think a lot of guys on the defensive side of the ball have that same mentality. We know that we take a lot of pride in our defense and the way to that is to be in great physical shape, so that we can play longer and try to make that run, which we try to do every year.”

Ryan has said the Green & White continue to work on man coverage with their linebackers. Harris told me he’s decreasing his body fat, Bart Scott is down 10 pounds and Demario Davis, the third-round draft selection from Arkansas State, possesses 4.5 speed in the 40-yard dash.

“Everybody knows what type of talent we have on the outside with Cromartie and Revis, and with Kyle in the slot. We know that we’re going to get attacked in the middle of the field and the tight end has become a big role in a lot of teams’ offenses,” Harris said. “So we have to be prepared to cover the middle of the field and that’s the backs included. We know that we have our hands full and we have to be prepared for anything the offense may throw at us.”

Offenses are again going to have to prepare for the tandem of Harris and Scott. “The Madbacker” has been one of the top stories of the spring, setting the tone on the practice field.

“You can hear Bart a mile away and he gives it to the offensive players every time they make a mistake. It’s just funny to hear because you know he’s back comfortable and being himself,” Harris said. “When you’re comfortable being yourself, you’re able to go out there and play the way you know how to play.”

Davis, who should be a valuable contributor immediately in sub packages and on special teams, is wise beyond his years.

“Demario is a step beyond any rookie that I’ve seen,” Harris said. “To be as young as he is, he is very mature. He’s very dedicated and focused on his craft. He’s always one of the first guys out at practice and one of the last guys to leave the field, and that’s always encouraging to see from a rookie.”

The Jets have increased their speed all around the defense and S LaRon Landry, another burner, hasn’t participated in team activities as of yet.

“I notice that across the board,” said Harris. “If you have been following the Jets since Rex got here, I’ll say we’re faster than the ’09 team and that says a lot.”

That ’09 unit finished No. 1 in total defense (252.3 yards allowed per game) and No. 1 in points (14.8 allowed) as the Jets advanced to the AFC Championship Game in Year 1 of the Rex regime. Ryan has indicated that he’s going back to his roots and that means more involvement in the defensive meeting rooms with the players.

“Schemewise it’s not going to be that different. It’s just that little things involved in each defense are going to be stressed more,” said the Hitman. “Little things like technique that you may not cover as much because you assume guys have understood what to do, but each day you emphasize little things. You always try to get better at something small, which may not have happened in years past.”

Minicamp will conclude today here in Florham Park, N.J., and Harris has a family vacation planned during his down time. But the new dad promises he’ll be ready for training camp and 2012. This Hitman has a heart, but business is still business.

“Me, my wife and my daughter are going away to Barbados for five days. First family trip, my daughter’s first time in a plane, so hopefully she won’t be acting up too much on the plane,” he said. “It is good to get away after these tough couple of months we had working out here and it’s always good to get away before the season starts. Once the season starts, it’s on.”

Adam Sandler impressed with Rex Ryan’s acting ability

Posted by Darin Gantt on June 14, 2012, 9:37 AM EDT

pg2_a_belryan_576.jpg?w=250 AP

Jets coach Rex Ryan clearly doesn’t mind the camera.

But getting ready for his latest role took a little extra work getting used to.

Ryan refers to New England coach Bill Belichick as a “genius,” in his role as a Patriots-crazed lawyer in the new Adam Sandler movie That’s My Boy.

“We thought it’d be funny because we wanted a lawyer who could handle degenerates well,” Sandler said in a conference call.

“And we thought Rex could handle anybody.”

More impressive is his willingness to get into character so deeply, complimenting Tom Brady’s jawline and filling his office with New England-area sports gear.

“Bill talked to [brother and coach Rob Ryan] and said, ‘I can’t believe Rex is involved with this with my bobble head on his desk,’” Ryan said. “He is looking forward to watching it.”

Ryan’s character’s on screen for about five minutes, but he impressed Sandler with his preparation. The Jets coach has also appeared in an episode of CSI: New York in addition to his leading role in HBO’s Hard Knocks.

Ryan hasn’t delivered on any of his Super Bowl guarantees, but he consistently provides a few laughs, which puts him ahead of some of Sandler’s recent efforts.

Jets sign seventh-round pick Jordan White, report says

Published: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 8:11 AM Updated: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 8:14 AM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Share Print

11176416-large.jpgJohn Munson/The Star-LedgerSeventh-round pick Jordan White is sidelined with a broken bone in his foot.

The Jets have signed seventh-round pick Jordan White, according to Scout.com, meaning their entire 2012 draft class is now under contract.

White signed a four-year, $2.145 million deal with a $45,896 signing bonus, according to the report.

White, drafted No. 244 overall out of Western Michigan, is the last of the eight Jets draft picks to sign. The rookie receiver has been sidelined since May 21 with a fractured metatarsal bone in his left foot. He had surgery and is expected to be out until training camp.

Coach Rex Ryan said the Jets are still encouraged by what White can contribute, despite his injury. White had 140 catches for 1,911 yards last season and was named a Biletnikoff Award semi-finalist and Associated Press All-American.

"We’re excited about him," Ryan said. "He works his tail off. It’s unfortunate that he had that break of a foot, but he’s training hard."

White's productive college career was punctuated by injuries. He redshirted because of major knee injuries in 2006 and 2008 and was granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA for 2011.

Jets would probably be better of putting this kid on IR. Problem is the pats will probably claim him just for the hell of it

Schwartz: Jets Blog – Minicamp Edition

June 14, 2012 9:53 AM

Share thisView Comments

Share and see what your friends read on CBS Local.What's this?

145593598.jpg?w=300

Tim Tebow #15 and Mark Sanchez #6 of the New York Jets listen to quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh. (Photo by Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

By Peter Schwartz

After two days of Jets mandatory minicamp, there are still several main storylines that surround the team.

First, it’s the fabricated quarterback controversy between Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow. As I’ve stated before, this is not a quarterback controversy. Sanchez is the starter and will be the starter unless he falters dramatically during the regular season or gets hurt. Aside from getting injured, he will not be supplanted by Tebow in training camp. Beat writers who are planning on tracking each pass that the quarterbacks with throw in Cortland starting on July 27th are wasting their time.

Tebow is not winning the job. There is no job to win. Yet people still criticize the Jets for making this trade to acquire a player that can help them win games.

“I think we were the only people who never had a problem with it, it seemed like,” said head coach Rex Ryan. We look at it as we’re adding a good football player, which we did. Is he behind (Mark) Sanchez on the depth chart? Yes. Just like every team has a guy behind their starting quarterback.

But he brings so much more to the table. Obviously, we talked about the Wildcat deal, we talked about the personal protector.”

Ryan maintains that Tebow is not even taking any reps with the ones unless they are working on the wildcat. Sanchez is taking all of the reps with the starters.

Health on the offensive side of the ball is another storyline.

New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano has been very pleased with Sanchez during the off-season. The Jets starting quarterback has improved his mechanics by putting on some extra lower body weight.

The results of his hard work?

He’s healthy and strong.

“Absolutely, I just feel good,” said Sanchez. “I feel like I’m in good shape. I feel the ball is just jumping out of my hand. Now, it’s a matter of learning this offense to the best of my ability and really putting the team in a good spot. Physically, it’s the best I’ve felt.”

The same can’t be said for the MASH unit that is the Jets group of wide receivers. The hamstring bug has plagued the Jets wideouts during OTA’s and minicamp, especially Santonio Holmes and 2nd round pick Stephen Hill.

Perhaps the Jets are guilty of pushing Holmes and company a little too hard in the weight room.

“I’ve been telling our guys, I want to look the part, I want to be the strongest team we can be, I want them to be getting it in the weight room,” said Ryan. “Make us back down on them in training camp, but I want to push these guys and that’s exactly what we’ve done. Obviously, I think I’ve probably pushed the wide out group in particular a little too hard. The hamstrings, obviously we’ll have to make some adjustments to that.”

Hamstring injuries come with the territory in the NFL, especially when a player misses training camp like cornerback Darrelle Revis did two years ago when he staged a summer long holdout because of a contract dispute. He had to leave the second game of the season against the Patriots after suffering a hamstring injury when he was beat for a touchdown by Randy Moss.

Two years later, Revis is unhappy about his contract again creating yet another headache for the

Jets.

The deal that he agreed to on the eve of the 2010 season was considered a “Band-Aid” contract by both sides and now Revis wants a new long terms deal. He has not missed any off-season workouts and is in attendance at minicamp.

But will he be at Cortland when the Jets reporter for training camp on July 26th?

“I can’t answer that question right now,’’ Revis said Tuesday. “I really can’t.’’

Revis has two years left on the $46 million deal that he signed two years ago but his salary dips this season to $7.5 million after earning $32 million over the first two years.

It’s believe that the Jets told Revis that they would re-visit the contract after two years but whether that’s true or not remains to be seen. Revis’ representatives should have had that in writing before they let their client sign that contract.

Here’s the bottom line. Revis has two years left on his contract. He says he’s not worried about

public perception if he holds out for a third time. He wants a new deal and he wants financial security.

My guess … unless there’s a new deal or another Band-Aid for 2012, Revis will not be enjoying the delicacy of Doug’s Fish Fry in Cortland this summer.

He’ll be holding out again meaning Ryan will be walking around the dorms in Cortland once again saying, “Revis where are you?”

A STEAL IN THE 6TH ROUND?

“I’ll get my shot at the NFL. I just have to work hard. Just work hard”

Josh Bush to “The Dispatch” 11/30/11

He was right.

Former Wake Forest safety Josh Bush is getting a shot in the NFL after he was selected by the Jets in the sixth round of the NFL Draft. Looking to address a need in their secondary, the Jets selected Bush, a player that has overcome a mysterious illness to make it to the highest level possible.

In his sophomore season of 2009, Bush missed the final two games with a shoulder injury. He had to be taken to the hospital where it was determined that Bush had an infection in his collarbone. It’s been reported that Bush was hospitalized for a week and was on an IV drip for six weeks.

There was a thought that Bush might need a collarbone replacement and that left doctors unsure if

he could ever play football again.

But the shoulder improved to the point where he was able to take the field again. Bush would finish out a stellar career at Wake Forest. In 46 career games with the Demon Deacons, Bush notched 134 tackles and 7 interceptions, with 6 of them coming during an outstanding senior season. Bush was an Associated Press Third team All-America selection and a First team All-ACC pick.

His play and his skill set caught the attention of the Jets and he has not let them down during OTA’s and minicamp.

“He has really looked good,” said Ryan. “He’s taken off running some of the second and third groups. He’s been impressive. Nobody ever questioned his mental ability, his range as a top safety and all that. What we have got to see from Josh is when he comes back into training camp is how physical he can be. Those were the questions about him because certainly he’s been everything we thought he would be and he has been impressive.”

At 5’11” and 205 pounds, the former star at West Davidson High School in Lexington, North Carolina could very well help out the Jets during his rookie season. He gives the Jets some depth at safety but could also be a valuable asset on special teams. At Wake Forest, Bush played in a defensive system that has him prepared for the NFL. They ran zone coverage that morphed into man coverage.

Bush is an outstanding athlete but his play on the field didn’t earn him an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine. Instead, he went to the Casino Del Sol all-star game in Arizona and displayed his talents for NFL teams at his Pro Day.

The Jets clocked him at 4.49 in the 40-yard dash.

Time will tell if the Jets feel blessed to have been able to take him in the sixth round. Josh Bush brings a lot of raw ability, passion, and perseverance to Gang Green.

If things work out, the Jets will have found themselves something special on day three of the Draft.

PACK FOR SUMMER CAMP

Looking for a pretty cool summer getaway?

How about Central New York?

The Jets have announced some important dates for 2012 training camp. The players will report to SUNY Cortland on July 26th and their first practice will be on July 27th. The first practice open to the public will be on Saturday July 28th so if you want to escape for a summer football weekend, gas up the car, book a hotel, and head up to Cortland to see Gang Green.

Gang Green nation will get to see the Jets in action during training camp at three different sites. In addition to Cortland, the Jets will return to their former long-time training camp at Hofstra University on Long Island for a Family Night practice on Tuesday August 21st. The Jets will also hold a portion of their training camp at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on Thursday August 23rd and Friday August 24th.

At each training camp location, fans can enjoy Jets Fest, a football theme park with skill challenges and inflatable rides. They can also pick up Jets Gear at the Jets Shop Merchandise Tent. Visit www.newyorkjets.com for more information in the coming weeks.

PLAYING LIKE A JET PAYS OFF

On Wednesday, the Jets and the PSAL announced the third annual “Play Like A Jet” college scholarship winners. Each year a $5,000 scholarship is awarded to one male and one female PSAL athlete who excel both on the field and in the classroom. This year’s winners are C’Ara McCrea from Mount Vernon, New York and Brutus Gorum from the Bronx.

McCrea graduates from Fredrick Douglas Academy this June and was a member of the Track & Field team. McCrea will begin her studies at Syracuse University this fall. Gorum graduates from Harry S. Truman High School this June and was a member of the Football team. Gorum will begin his studies at Penn State University this fall.

Jets head coach Rex Ryan presented the winners with their checks before his Wednesday news conference. Ryan couldn’t resist the chance to see if C’Ara and Brutus might change their minds on where they were going to attend college.

“Syracuse and Penn State, huh?,” said Ryan. “How about Southwestern Oklahoma? Syracuse and Penn State were my fall back schools. I went to Southwestern instead, Hall of Famer of course.”

Congratulations to C’Ara and Brutus!

That’s all for now everyone. Check back soon for more and don’t forget to follow me on Twitter @pschwartzwfan.

Jets sign seventh-round pick

June, 14, 2012

Jun 14

10:04

AM ET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The Jets' eight-man draft class finally is under contract. Injured WR Jordan White, a seventh-round pick, signed a four-year, $2.1 million contract, a source confirmed Thursday morning.

White was the last draft pick to sign, fueling speculation that his injury -- a fractured foot, suffered on the first day of OTAs -- complicated the negotiations. That isn't true. In fact, an agreement in principle had been in place for a couple of weeks; there were a couple of minor glitches that caused the delay.

White, recovering from surgery, is expected to return around the start of training camp in late July. Scout.com first reported the signing.

Likes, dislikes from Jets, Patriots minicamp

June, 14, 2012

Jun 14

10:13

AM ET

By James Walker | ESPN.com

nfl_a_bradyt_576.jpgAP Photo/Charles KrupaPatriots quarterback Tom Brady looks to have picked up where he left off last season.

The AFC East blog is wrapping up its two-stop minicamp tour in the Northeast with the New York Jets and New England Patriots. It was a fun week in which I was able to see both teams up close.

But before we head back to our Miami headquarters, here are some things we liked and disliked from the Patriots and Jets:

Things we liked

No. 1: Patriots QB Tom Brady

Brady looked sharp, as expected, and was by far the best quarterback I saw during my two stops. He was accurate and his passes had zip. Brady also is concentrating on his mechanics and it shows. On Wednesday Brady made several big connections in team drills with Pro Bowl receiver Wes Welker and tight end Aaron Hernandez. Brady's two deep touchdown throws to Welker were particularly impressive.

Brady, 34, is in great shape and says he's already at his ideal playing weight of 228 pounds. He was very modest about his minicamp performance. But we liked what we saw from the future Hall of Famer.

No. 2: Jets’ defense

Watching the Jets practice and talking to players in the locker room, it's clear the Jets' defense is hungry. The defense was a top-five unit last year, but the players still doesn't feel they played to their standards. The Jets' defense was flying around the football in minicamp and appears to be getting its swagger back.

In-house players such as linebacker Bart Scott and second-year defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson look in great shape and much improved. Outside additions such as rookie defensive end Quinton Coples and veteran safety Yeremiah Bell also are making plays. If the Jets can get hard-hitting safety LaRon Landry (Achilles) healthy, they will have defensive playmakers at nearly every position. Jets linebacker Calvin Pace says they want to be the No. 1 defense in the NFL this season. If everyone stays healthy, the Jets could have a shot.

No. 3: Jets WR Chaz Schilens

nfl_a_cschilens_jh_200.jpg
AP Photo/Julio CortezChaz Schilens stood out among the Jets' wide receivers at minicamp.

During my Tuesday trip to Florham Park, N.J., Schilens was the receiver who made the most plays in practice. The former Oakland Raider has good size, strong hands and athleticism. Schilens could be an underrated find if he’s able to stay healthy, which has always been an issue.

Schilens made a play Tuesday that most Pro Bowl receivers couldn’t make. One-on-one against Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, Schilens beat Revis to the corner of the end zone, leaped over the cornerback and snatched a high pass from quarterback Mark Sanchez for a touchdown. It was the most impressive catch of practice, especially considering who Schilens beat.

The Jets need playmakers on offense. Schilens will earn playing time if he makes more plays like that in training camp.

Things we didn't like

No. 1: Patriots QB Brian Hoyer

I didn't take over the AFC East blog last year until the start of the regular season. So I was curious to see a player like Hoyer, who backed up Brady last season and got most of his work in training camp and the preseason. I thought Hoyer struggled in practice.

Hoyer's size and arm strength looked average and his accuracy and decision-making weren't great this week. In team drills Wednesday, he threw a bad interception in coverage to Patriots rookie linebacker Dont'a Hightower. According to the Boston Globe, Hoyer also threw two picks on Tuesday.

This could be the year that Ryan Mallett pushes -- and perhaps surpasses -- Hoyer for the No. 2 job in the preseason. Mallett, a 2011 draft pick, still has a lot to learn but has the physical tools (size, arm strength) Hoyer lacks.

No. 2: Patriots CB Ras-I Dowling

Dowling was another player I missed watching in training camp and the preseason last year and was curious to see where he stood. Dowling is a former second-round pick whom New England had high expectations for until a hip injury in 2011 put him on injured reserve.

In some ways, Dowling could be considered an extra draft pick this year. He played in just two games as a rookie and is trying to work his way back into football shape. But Dowling still looks a step slow and had trouble covering quick receivers. He has to make a lot of progress between now and training camp in order to win a meaningful role in the secondary.

The Patriots need play-making cornerbacks. Dowling was that type of player in college but still has a lot to prove at the NFL level.

No. 3: Jets WR injuries

Speaking of injuries, I didn't get a good evaluation of New York's receivers this week, because many of them were banged up. Projected starters Santonio Holmes and rookie second-round pick Stephen Hill both have hamstring injuries. Backup Patrick Turner also is banged up.

The good news is we got to see receivers like Schilens, Jeremy Kerley and Royce Pollard get extra work. But Holmes and Hill are the big guns the Jets will be relying on this season. Quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow need reps with New York's starting receivers, because the team is learning a new offense under first-year offensive coordinator Tony Sparano. Holmes, Hill and Turner will have to make up for missed time next month in training camp.

NY Jets coach Rex Ryan mixes signals on Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez at minicamp

NY Jets coach fumbles call on roles of quarterbacks

Comments

By Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 11:40 PM

Updated: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 12:45 AM

twitter.png

Twitter

stumbleupon.png

StumbleUpon

tumblr.png

Tumblr

digg.png

Digg

reddit.png

Reddit

email.png

Email

Print

image.jpg

Ron Antonelli/New York Daily News

Mark Sanchez has backing of Jets as he approaches season as starter, but explaining his and Tim Tebow’s roles proves to be anything but a snap for Rex Ryan and the organization.

Related Stories

inform.jpg

Six months after Mark Sanchez completed a bizarre season filled with maddening inconsistencies, the Jets quarterback is ready to finally establish himself as the undisputed leader of a wayward offense.

Tebowmania notwithstanding, Rex Ryan has tried to make it clear that Sanchez is the unquestioned starter.

At minicamp on Wednesday, Ryan said that “there may be times” in the future when Tim Tebow plays with the starters before a team spokesman clarified those remarks and said that the coach meant that Tebow will get first-team snaps only in Wildcat packages.

Ryan & Co. may be oversensitive to rumblings of a burgeoning quarterback controversy, but Sanchez will undoubtedly be the starter when the regular season begins.

Although Ryan admitted that Tebow “brings so much more to the table” than just being a quarterback, the coach left little doubt that Sanchez will be the engine of new coordinator Tony Sparano’s offense. So, Ryan declared that Tebow will be exclusively playing with the second team in minicamp (he actually played two snaps with the starters on Wednesday in red-zone team drills), while Sanchez will be practicing with the starters.

Ryan, meanwhile, has praised Sanchez’s ability to grasp Sparano’s system and improve his lower-body strength this offseason, talking points to remind everyone within earshot that No. 6 is No. 1 on the depth chart.

“It’s important to me not just to impress Rex, but really compete . . . against myself, against the outcome of last season, against any kind of negative feelings we had moving on from last year,” Sanchez said after practice. “(So that I can)understand why we didn’t play as well as we did — how can we fix it? — and now is my chance to do it. I just wanted to make sure I was prepared and ready to handle the season.”

Despite Ryan’s verbal hiccup, his message is clear: Sanchez and Tebow have defined roles. Tebow, who has never wanted to play anything but quarterback in his life, has remained the good soldier since he arrived.

“Obviously when we go out there, we compete hard in everything we do,” Tebow said of his interaction with Sanchez. “But we have a great relationship. I think it really helps when you’re rooting for the other guy as well. I’m rooting for him. I believe he’s rooting for me.”

Sanchez’s erratic play last season prompted several teammates and members of the organization to question his ability to be the franchise quarterback. Sanchez’s career-high 26 touchdown passes were clouded by his career-high 26 turnovers, including nine in the final three games.

He threw 21 touchdown passes inside the 20-yard line — fifth-best in the league — to help the Jets lead the NFL in red-zone touchdown efficiency (65.5%).

“Were there highlights from last season? Absolutely,” Sanchez said. “There’s a whole boatload of them and a whole reel of them. But we just didn’t have enough down the stretch.

“I just know that I turned the ball over too much,” he added. “As many good things as you do, turning the ball over doesn’t negate them, but it really does hurt. The most important thing moving forward is taking care of the football and making good decisions. If we cut down on a couple of those interceptions, we might be in the playoffs. That’s the way I look at it.”

Sanchez said that the offense is “moving along at a good pace” as everyone learns Sparano’s system. Although there’s plenty of learning ahead, he admitted that he’s eager for training camp next month.

“I’m been as anxious (as) the last few years, but I have a little better understanding each year of what’s coming,” Sanchez said. “It’s going to be a good year for us. We’re ready to get started.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/rex-ryan-mixes-signals-tim-tebow-mark-sanchez-article-1.1095343#ixzz1xmNrSApe

Hamstring epidemic

June, 14, 2012

Jun 14

11:30

AM ET

By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- On the first day of training camp, Rex Ryan announced wide receiver Santonio Holmes had a hamstring injury. And so does Stephen Hill. Plus Patrick Turner, Royce Pollard, Jeremy Kerley and DeMarcus Ganaway have bad hammies as well.

In fact, a good majority of the wide receivers were nursing some kind of hamstring injury, and Ryan sheepishly joked that it might have been his fault.

"I want to push these guys and that’s exactly what we’ve done," Ryan said on the first day of the team’s mandatory minicamp Tuesday. "Obviously, I think I’ve probably pushed the wide out group in particular a little too hard. Now that’s what we call an after-action report and that will certainly be in there."

Daniel Kharrazi is an orthopedic surgeon at the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles who follows the Jets. He said hamstring injuries usually occur when there is a history of injury, or if the muscle is overextended. The possibility is increased if the muscle is weakened or fatigued.

Given that they are professional athletes, Kharrazi doubts it’s a lack of conditioning that’s causing the injuries, and speculated that, considering what Ryan said, fatigue could have been the issue.

"I don’t think their guys are weak. I don’t think they have reduced flexibility," Kharrazi said.

He has not examined any of the Jets, so he can not give specifics on how long players might be out.

In general, depending on how the strain is graded, it should be healed by the time the team has to report for training camp on July 26.

"If it’s a grade one or two," Kharrazi said, "the odds are pretty good they’ll be healed. The muscle fibers start to form scar tissue and need three to six months to recover fully."

Odds are, most of the affected wide receivers won’t have a recurrence of the initial injury, but Kharrazi said that prior injury can make the muscle more vulnerable in the future.

Archived