Demise of Jets' dynamic duo ?.. Holy overreaction, Batman ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- When Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie reunited last March after a two-year separation, the New York Jets' fan base rejoiced, thinking the return of Batman and Robin would restore the defense to its 2010 dominance.

Our (almost) midseason conclusion: Gotham City is impatient.

Cromartie played a terrible game last week, triggering panic in the streets. Revis, of all people, is catching flak because ... well, he's not perfect.

Everybody needs to relax.

On Wednesday, ESPN analyst Darren Woodson was critical of Revis, saying on the "Mike & Mike" radio show, "I just think his time as being the elite No. 1 cornerback is pretty much over." Woodson, a former star safety with the Dallas Cowboys, said Revis would've been torched by rookie Amari Cooper last Sunday if the Oakland Raiders had made a concerted effort to attack him.

My opinion  ?

I'd like to see the man have a bad game, as opposed to a bad play here and there, before we remove his crown and kick it in the sewer. Revis has surrendered only one touchdown -- Pierre Garcon, on a quick slant. Yes, he caught a break on another -- a Julian Edelman drop in the end zone -- but two hiccups don't qualify as a trend.

"He's a comedian," Revis told the New York Daily News, referring to Woodson.Not surprisingly, the Jets dismissed Woodson's comments."I don't think anything about it," Todd Bowles said. "Analysts talk. I think [Revis] is good for us. I don't worry about what everybody else thinks."

Cromartie chimed in, saying of Woodson, "He doesn't play anymore, so who cares?"

If Revis has lost his magic, it won't take long before other teams figure it out and puncture a hole in his aura of invincibility. There is no mercy in the NFL; opponents will attack as soon as they smell blood. That hasn't happened yet with Revis.

Could it be happening with Cromartie? He allowed two touchdowns against the Raiders, easily his worst game of the season. That brings his total to five in seven games, according to Pro Football Focus, which rates him as one of the worst corners in the league. The man has been a good player for a decade; he's entitled to a little slack.Cromartie took accountability, admitting he "played like s---" last week, but he doesn't believe that game is emblematic of his season. And, no, he won't call it a slump.

"Only pitchers or hitters have slumps, if that's what you want to call it," he said. "I look at it as one game. I've got nine more to improve."

The Jacksonville Jaguars will test Cromartie. Blake Bortles likes to throw deep, and he has a young, dynamic receiving tandem in Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns. If Cromartie has lost some of his catch-up speed, we could find out on Sunday.

"In our heart of hearts," defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said, "we don't feel like he's struggling."

Cynical Gotham wants to see for itself.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55793/demise-of-jets-dynamic-duo-holy-over-reaction-batman

If Cromartie has lost some of his catch-up speed, we could find out on Sunday.

"In our heart of hearts," defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said, "we don't feel like he's struggling."

Are you ******* kidding me with this?  Cro is an absolute liability out there.  He's ******* horrible.  Cant cover, cant tackle.  He literally provides nothing.  What is with this coaching staff's loyalty to him?  Holy sh*t.  Put him down already. 

Hurns is going to have a career day.  He'll got for 10, 170, 2 TD's...both TD' on bombs beating Cro.  Book it. 

Archived