..edge-rushing options in the draft ~ ~ ~

kelly

With the scouting combine in the books, this is a good time to update our edge-rusher watch list -- pass rushers who could be available for the New York Jetswith the 20th pick. It's an obvious concern for the Jets, who need outside linebackers in their 3-4 scheme.

Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky: He has cooled considerably after a less-than-stellar combine performance. At 6-foot-2, 251 pounds, Spence ran the 40 in a sluggish 4.80 seconds. Throw in his off-the-field issues (failed drug tests at Ohio State), and you have a player on the slide. One NFC scout told me he wouldn't be surprised if Spence falls out of the first round, although ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay has him going to the Jets at No. 20.

Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia: He could be an intriguing player for the Jets because of his explosiveness. He blazed the 40 in 4.60 seconds, confirming he has elite speed for an edge rusher. At 244 pounds, Floyd needs to add some bulk on his 6-6 frame. Said the NFC scout: "This kid played five different positions in college. He covered slot receivers in the SEC. He's a really good athlete, a really good player and a really good kid." One potential concern: a surgically repaired shoulder.

Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State: He crushed the 40 (4.47 seconds), but the buzz among some scouts is that his speed and athleticism didn't translate to big production for Ohio State. At 6-1, 232 pounds, he's probably not a great fit in Todd Bowles' 3-4 front unless they play him inside to replace Demario Davis.

Emmanuel Ogbah, DE/OLB, Oklahoma State: He raised his stock with an excellent all-around workout. His 40 time (4.63) turned a lot of heads, as did his 10-yard split (1.59 seconds). Let's not forget, he's 6-4, 273 pounds. This dude has 35 1/2-inch arms, a fraction longer than Muhammad Wilkerson. Talk about wingspan. The question is, could he make the conversion to a 3-4 outside linebacker?

Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State: You'll be hearing more about him as we get closer to the draft. Correa put himself on the first-round radar by running the 40 in 4.69 seconds at 6-3, 249 pounds. He's raw, but there's a lot of upside, evidenced by 19 sacks in the last two seasons. The Jets will be doing their homework on him.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58711/latest-buzz-on-jets-edge-rushing-options-in-the-draft

I like everyone on that list except Lee.  I don't think Lee is an edge rusher - I like him as an all around sort of guy who is fast and can help in a variety of ways, but not an edge rusher.  I think / hope someone takes him before we get a chance

In his updated mock draft, ESPN analyst Todd McShay projects a pass rusher for the New York Jets at No. 20. It makes perfect sense, considering they don't have a proven rush linebacker under contract. The part I'm not sure about is the specific player -- Noah Spence of Eastern Kentucky.

Yeah, that guy.

He'd be a controversial pick for the Jets because of his off-the-field issues at Ohio State, where he flunked two drug tests. Not only was he tossed from the school, but he was banned from the Big Ten Conference. Speaking to reporters at the scouting combine, Spence confirmed he tested positive twice for ecstasy. At EKU, he had a drunk-driving arrest.

If I'm the Jets, or any other team looking for a pass rusher in the first round, Spence's baggage would cause me great concern.Talent-wise, Spence has the skill set to be a very good player, although his 40 time at the combine (4.80 seconds) may have hurt his stock. He also didn't come across well in his team interviews, according to one talent evaluator.

Obviously, the Jets will continue to perform due diligence, digging into Spence's background. General manager Mike Maccagnan stayed away from character-issue guys in his first draft, and I'm not so sure he'd want to break the trend with the 20th pick in the draft. There are talented pass rushers other than Spence.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58720/a-risk-reward-choice-todd-mcshay-projects-olb-noah-spence-to-jets

Archived