Reeling Jets set for toughest road test of Todd Bowles era

Gas2No99

Reeling Jets set for toughest road test of Todd Bowles era

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    Dick Semen-iESPN Shaft Rider

PITTSBURGH -- Coaches steal ideas and plays from each other all the time, so maybe Todd Bowles should borrow Mike Tomlin's rallying cry from last week. Hey, it fits the situation.

This has to be "Redemption Sunday" for the New York Jets, who face the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field.

Losers of two straight, with a simmering quarterback controversy, the Jets need a quick fix. Unfortunately for them, this is a bad matchup. Not counting their annual visit to Messrs. Brady and Belichick, this will be the most challenging road game in Bowles' first two seasons as head coach.

With Ben Roethlisberger and a posse of playmakers, the Steelers (3-1) have the ability to embarrass the Jets' porous secondary, which almost certainly won't have Darrelle Revis (hamstring). Offensively, the Jets are banged up at wide receiver, a blow to the already slumping Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Redemption won't be easy.

My five thoughts on the game:

1. Fitzpatrick is using up his collateral: Bowles and the players have gone out of their way to defend Fitzpatrick, who deserves the chance to fight his way out of this funk, but the interceptions have to stop or else he'll force Bowles into a decision. If Fitzpatrick throws two interceptions, he'll be the first since Peyton Manning (2010) to have 11 in a three-game span. If he throws three, he'll be the first since George Blanda (1965) to have 12 in three games.

Personally, I think Fitzpatrick will respond favorably. The Steelers' pass rush is struggling and they're giving up 317 passing yards per game (30th), although some of that is concession yardage in lopsided games. Even so, I don't think Fitzpatrick will lose the game. In case you're wondering, Geno Smith didn't get any more practice reps than usual, per Bowles. If he turns to Smith, we've reached the desperation stage.

2. The old guys and the new guy: If Quincy Enunwa doesn't play -- he's questionable with a knee injury -- the receiving corps will be Brandon Marshall and a bunch of kids. Remember this number: 28. That's his career high for most targets in a game. But, seriously, this game screams for Matt Forte. Nothing would help them more than a consistent ground game, reducing the pressure on Fitzpatrick and keeping Big Ben & Co. on the sideline. The X factor could be tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins, who figures to make his Jets debut. He has a small package of plays and could be used in certain situations. He can catch and run, so why not?

3. Life without Revis: The Jets went 2-0 without him last season, but they faced two bad teams, the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. This is a different deal. Even though his best days are behind him, Revis could've helped against the Steelers' potent passing attack. Unless they promote someone from the practice squad, the Jets will have only four healthy corners -- Buster SkrineMarcus Williams, rookie Juston Burris(23 snaps) and Darryl Roberts (zero career snaps). Uh, oh.

4. Watch the deep ball: If a busted coverage results in another long pass play, Bowles might be tempted to make a comeback at safety. His frustration with the amount of mental mistakes in the secondary is palpable. The Jets have allowed seven completions of at least 40 yards, some of them because they left receivers wide open.

Roethlisberger isn't the quarterback you want to face when you're struggling. He leads the league with 25 completions and five touchdowns on passes of at least 25 air yards, including five such completions to Sammie Coates. Big Ben also is the league's top-rated play-action passer, which sounds like big trouble for the Jets. We haven't even mentioned the great Antonio Brown, who was targeted only five times last week (two touchdowns). Against the Jets, he might run up some serious twerking fines.

Bowles will need the game plan of all game plans to contain these guys, not to mention running back Le'Veon Bell.

5. Feeling groovy: I'll say this for the Jets: There was no gloom and doom around the locker room. Marshall was so positive that he offered a quasi-guarantee, saying, "Starting Sunday, we will have better results. That's a fact." The players were upbeat, saying they had their best practice week of the season. To that, I quote Bill Parcells: Don't tell me about the labor, show me the baby.

Archived