The Top Six Picks

varjet

One could argue that a team can approach the draft as follows:

• Bad teams picking at the top of the First Round often need a QB.  A QB that people are confident will transfer to the NFL Game always go at the top of the round-not top 6, top 3  If a team does  not need a QB or would rather not pick that one, they will trade the pick.
  • The next are the sure things at other positions.  At some point in time a team that needs a QB will start taking (or reaching) for QBs that are somewhat projects.  That is what Paxton Lynch was.  We will see how that goes.  

Trubisky has been projected to the 49ers in several mocks.  I think over the next month or so people conclude that Trubisky can be a FQB, regardless of his lack of experience.  Watson has obvious positives, but lack of accuracy in the pros, together with playing in a college offense and the Tajd Boyd effect, could cause him to drop a little.

We could see the 49ers waiting for Cousins to free up next year, although if they like MT he is much cheaper.  In any event, someone picks MT very early, and the PFF Mock 5.0 that has the Jets trading up to do that (for their 1st and 2nd) is somewhat intriguing.  What do the Bears do given Glennon?  The Browns do not want a QB at 1, but my guess is that they want one in the top 10 or less-do they trade up or down?

I can see Jonathan Allen drop a bit-DT is becoming less of an impact position because they do not necessarily stop the passing game.  Some combination of Thomas and/or Barnett take Allen's place among the top picks-EDGE gets to the passer.

The DBs in this draft are the star players along with EDGE and a QB or 2. 

I think the Jets end up with  Trubisky, Lattimore, Adams or Hooker.

Archived