Rotating the stock - Randy Lange

GreenBeans

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Quarterback isn't the only position where coach Eric Mangini is rotating his personnel. For example, the first-team defense in the first practice of training camp Friday morning featured unexpected starters at outside linebacker: Matt Chatham instead of Victor Hobson on the strong side, Trevor Johnson for Bryan Thomas on the weak. And although this didn't happen on opening day, be prepared to see second-year safety Kerry Rhodes at cornerback.

"The coaches want us to know every position. Me and Erik [Coleman] might switch around and play corner some time," Rhodes said. "I knew Coach Mangini from New England. The Patriots were interested in me in the draft as a corner. They wanted me to be a nickel guy."

Rhodes showed corner-like agility when he made a diving interception of Chad Pennington early in the first practice, then deftly broke up a Pennington out-route to tight end Chris Baker.

More on the PUPs

Mangini, in his first news conference of camp, didn't shed much light on placing Curtis Martin on the physically-unable-to-perform list.

"With Curtis, we've got a plan in place," Mangini said. "He's rehabbing, he's not ready to practice yet. As soon as he's ready to practice, he'll be out there." Yet the coach offered no timetable for his return.

However, Mangini explained the PUP-ing of wide receiver Justin McCareins and cornerback Rayshun Reed, indicating they failed their conditioning tests.

"This has nothing to do with an injury," Mangini said about McCareins. "He just didn't pass the criteria we have. I'm not going to put anybody on the field who can't pass the criteria. It's not safe for them and not what we expect."

Briefs

The starting offensive backfield: Derrick Blaylock at tailback, B.J. Askew at fullback. ... WR Laveranues Coles came up limping on his right leg on a Pennington interception in the morning. But he shook it off and returned.

-- Randy Lange

-----------

Didn't see this posted but thought it had some very interesting information.

gb

Archived