Sauce - I want to be a New York Jet for the rest of my career.

In all likelihood, he's Priority #1 longterm for JD.  How he does this season shadowing WR1's and traveling around the field probably determines whether he gets the "highest paid CB in NFL history" status for only one season until the next guy's deal....or if he gets Aaron Donald type treatment.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Maxta_p said:

He just wants a big contract. This is meaningless.

My take exactly. 

When players say this, the unspoken part at the end is "if they pay me what I think I'm worth i.e. the most in the NFL at my position".

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

In all likelihood, he's Priority #1 longterm for JD.  How he does this season shadowing WR1's and traveling around the field probably determines whether he gets the "highest paid CB in NFL history" status for only one season until the next guy's deal....or if he gets Aaron Donald type treatment.

Accurate. What happens with Pat Surtain in Denver will likely also play a role - another young corner considered top 3, if not the league's best. I suspect the Broncos will want to extend surtain first before sauce gets one, in case Ps2 holds out for more.

I don't think it's impossible the Jets ask Sauce to wait 1 more year, too, since they'll have the 5th year and possible franchise tag years after that. However, if the Jets don't make a deep playoff run and have justification that they need all the cap space they can get for 1 more, we're likely to unsettle the kid.

1 minute ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Oh boy. Posturing already for next year's extension. 

Don't blame the guy, and I do believe he means it, but I'm starting to take these types of statements with the same grain of salt I take GM statements about "loving" or "wanting to keep" some guys lol. Hopefully this year goes great and we get sauce a nice extension next year.

If Sauce is what we expect him to be this year, then absolutely extend him. Sauce told the world he'll be pulling a Revis, moving all over the field to defend opposition's #1 WR. If he holds these exceptional ** talents in check.... write the CHECK!

**2X Tyreek**

**Pickens**

**Pittman**

**Aiyuk**

2X Keon Coleman

**Puka**

**Metcalf **

**Jefferson**

Sutton

If we have a terrible season and the coaching staff is canned.... you need to be certain the new system play's to Sauce's strengths. If not, trade him for draft picks, because we won't get the same value when paying him as a franchise CB

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

My take exactly.  When players say this, the unspoken part at the end is "if they pay me what I think I'm worth i.e. the most in the NFL at my position".

Plus the other half of it, having fans not blame him for chasing dollars (as he appropriately should be doing): "It's not me -- I wanted to stay here. They wouldn't pay me despite knowing full-well the going rate & what I'd get elsewhere."

I will say leaving it as he did is a bit better than overtly saying, "Yeah sure I'd stay here for longer if they pay me, but this is a business, and it's big business at that."

Even if it's implied (or we know or think we know it's implied), he at least has the class to not put it in the most fan-turnoff terms. 

They should (and probably will) extend him, and the only question is when. It took 15 years for the team to successfully draft another "it" corner. Ideally the meaty years of his extension should coincide with cheaper years from the next-drafted bust of a FQB anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

The Jets need to make it a HIGH HIGH priority that we lock guys up long term like JJ, Sauce, Wilson, etc. These pieces are far too valuable to let go. You need cornerstones like that in any successful organization. Let him become the next Revis but this time do not let him leave for a division rival to win a ****in superbowl

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Accurate. What happens with Pat Surtain in Denver will likely also play a role - another young corner considered top 3, if not the league's best. I suspect the Broncos will want to extend surtain first before sauce gets one, in case Ps2 holds out for more.

I don't think it's impossible the Jets ask Sauce to wait 1 more year, too, since they'll have the 5th year and possible franchise tag years after that. However, if the Jets don't make a deep playoff run and have justification that they need all the cap space they can get for 1 more, we're likely to unsettle the kid.

It's finally time where the Jets have a "good problem" as in too many good players that need to be paid.  They've spent years letting 1st round picks walk or trading them (Jamal, Darnold, Becton, Zach, etc.).  Prioritization is going to be important and if JJ breaks out this season it will really complicate the timing of extensions for that 2022 Draft class.  The Jets may get to the point where really tough decisions have to be made.  Based strictly on positional value alone I'm guessing Breece Hall becomes the sacrificial lamb.  He has no 5th year option because he was a 2nd round pick, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in a Saquon Barkley situation with the franchise tag or the Jets trading him at some point. They've now drafted THREE running backs in two seasons and that was after Breece arrived.  The Jets clearly want some leverage and are hoping to get lucky with one of these guys.  Sauce and GW are the highest priority pieces IMO.  If there are only two bags to be handed out they should get them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jdeet said:

Let’s hope the Jets want the same. 

We like to kill the Jets for their management ineptitude. But the best player at his position in the NFL, wants to be here forever. They must be doing something right. 

Yep, it's not like they all say that right before they leave or anything. 

AAA duck.jpg

Sauce doesn’t need to negotiate thru social media.  He is an Aaron Donald type outlier who is in a class of his own.  He’ll get a record setting contract and he deserves it. You break the bank a guy entering his prime on a HOF trajectory at a premier position.

Sauce Gardner has simply been a dream pick and player.  He's done every single thing right, including being a leader on defense. Even said when he was drafted to a bad team that he’s there to be the change and he has been.  Clapping back at Mecole Hardman talking about how he didn’t meet the Jets’ Standard.  I remember when guys like Quincy Enunwa would just skip their rehab because, hey, it’s the Jets.

Barring injury Sauce will be a Jet for a decade.

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ideally the meaty years of his extension should coincide with cheaper years from the next-drafted bust of a FQB anyway.

I'll tell you, I have a good feeling about Jordan Travis... especially sitting for 2-3 years watching one of the best manage the game. Yes, he doesn't have a Rodgers, Allen or Mahomes arm.... but he does process and improvise well and he is athletic. I can see him have a Fitzpatrick, Alex Smith type career with a few runs at a title on a good football team.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's finally time where the Jets have a "good problem" as in too many good players that need to be paid.  They've spent years letting 1st round picks walk or trading them (Jamal, Darnold, Becton, Zach, etc.).  Prioritization is going to be important and if JJ breaks out this season it will really complicate the timing of extensions for that 2022 Draft class.  The Jets may get to the point where really tough decisions have to be made.  Based strictly on positional value alone I'm guessing Breece Hall becomes the sacrificial lamb.  He has no 5th year option because he was a 2nd round pick, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in a Saquon Barkley situation with the franchise tag or the Jets trading him at some point. They've now drafted THREE running backs in two seasons and that was after Breece arrived.  The Jets clearly want some leverage and are hoping to get lucky with one of these guys.  Sauce and GW are the highest priority pieces IMO.  If there are only two bags to be handed out they should get them.

Yep. Sad to say it because Breece is a beast, but in the current NFL landscape, replacing him with a 2nd or 3rd rounder is a lot more likely. @BreeceHallofFame I like your idea, but with Rodgers on the books, a glut of extensions due, and possible re-fueling needed for another playoff run (let's hope), it's hard to say if the money will be there. The Jets should be wary of lowballing him too. 

JJ will be tough as the tweener. In the Jets system I'm not sure he'll rack up the stats to make a claim for becoming a top paid DE. Saleh & Ulbrich's system may actually pay off there. Based on dumping JFM and Huff though, Saleh may also feel like he can replace JJ compared to the others, if the money situation is difficult...

4 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Yep. Sad to say it because Breece is a beast, but in the current NFL landscape, replacing him with a 2nd or 3rd rounder is a lot more likely. @BreeceHallofFame I like your idea, but with Rodgers on the books, a glut of extensions due, and possible re-fueling needed for another playoff run (let's hope), it's hard to say if the money will be there. The Jets should be wary of lowballing him too. 

JJ will be tough as the tweener. In the Jets system I'm not sure he'll rack up the stats to make a claim for becoming a top paid DE. Saleh & Ulbrich's system may actually pay off there. Based on dumping JFM and Huff though, Saleh may also feel like he can replace JJ compared to the others, if the money situation is difficult...

With Rodgers on the Books ? Really ? Have you bothered to take a look at what top QB's are making these days ? A hell of a lot more than Rodgers Currently. So for example if Rodgers was not here and we had a stud QB in year 3 you would be looking at about 50 mil plus per year ro extend him and the way you mentioned Rodgers being on the books, what do you think Phantom stud QB we might have after him is going to do to those books ?

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

With Rodgers on the Books ? Really ? Have you bothered to take a look at what top QB's are making these days ? A hell of a lot more than Rodgers Currently. So for example if Rodgers was not here and we had a stud QB in year 3 you would be looking at about 50 mil plus per year ro extend him and the way you mentioned Rodgers being on the books, what do you think Phantom stud QB we might have after him is going to do to those books ?

I mean.... compared to our usual trash rookie "franchise quarterbacks", Rodgers and his cap hits cost a fortune :)

He may be relatively "cheap" for us right now, and for that I'm glad, but he's still one of our highest earning players. And also, the only reason he's not still one of them $50m/yr guys (because he WAS) is because JD sent half that money into the future. 2026, 27, 28. If he's still here in those years, unless he lowers his pay grade yet again, he'll effectively be costing us upper echelon QB money once again. 

Your point is valid, but his name is nonetheless worth mentioning when it comes to the finances. 

Edit: ah right, I forgot he did take a pay cut from being a 50m/yr guy to like 40m or whatever. Regardless though 

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Let’s hope the Jets want the same. 

We like to kill the Jets for their management ineptitude. But the best player at his position in the NFL, wants to be here forever. They must be doing something right. 

They all say that before getting paid.

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I'll tell you, I have a good feeling about Jordan Travis... especially sitting for 2-3 years watching one of the best manage the game. Yes, he doesn't have a Rodgers, Allen or Mahomes arm.... but he does process and improvise well and he is athletic. I can see him have a Fitzpatrick, Alex Smith type career with a few runs at a title on a good football team.

That'd be great if it happens. Zach allegedly had an arm like that. BFD; we see what it's worth without the football instincts those other guys have. Plenty of rocket-armed prospects who were huge busts. 

I'm not counting on him as anything other than a QB3 for 2024 at this point. 

• Upvote 1

Of course he can say that, he's eligible for a contract extension next year. Im sure he'd much rather get paid immediately vs going through option years and franchise tags. Maybe he does actually mean what he says but if the jets mess around with his money, his tune will change quickly.

"I love being a part of the Jets. I love being here. And I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

“I would love to be a Jet for life… and finish my career here,” Adams said. “God willing, that’s definitely the plan…. That would be a dream come true. There’s not that many guys that have played this game who have stuck with one team. That would be an honor. I would love to.”

- Jamal Adams | November, 2018

“Maybe it’s time to move on.”

- Jamal Adams | June, 2020 (when he asked the team to trade him)

• Haha 4