The draft is only part of it...

PantyHose&Furs

Coaching, and more specifically player development, is the other.

In today's NFL the coaching staff has an enormous impact on how well the players drafted perform.

Less talented players coupled with the right coaching staff will outperform more talented players paired with poor coaching staffs.

I bring this up because I believe our coaching staff has done a very good job of getting our draftees to perform on Sundays.

1. D'Brick has started every game and done well...not superb, but well.
  2. Mangold has been great.
  3. Revis has been great.
  4. Harris has been great.
  5. Leon has been great.
  6. Brad Smith actually has made some contributions
  7. Clemens has shown improvement/potential -way too early to tell

Combine solid fundamental football teaching/development with solid leadership from our veterans (Faneca, Jenkins, Bowens, Richardson, T. Jones) and young FA talent (Pace) and each incoming class of draftees will have an easier time adjusting and contributing.

All the pundits are saying the Chiefs, for example, are having an excellent draft. Good for them. But look who's coaching them.

Same for the Cowboys. They are doing great. Wade will find a way to screw it up.

Baltimore has always done a great job drafting...when Billick was coaching them. Let's see how Harbaugh does.

On the other hand look at the Eagles. They develop Pro Bowlers from every round in the draft. Same with Pittsburgh under Cowher. Cheats under Bellicheat. Colts under Dungy.

Bottom Line: Mangini does a good job developing the talent we have. Not everyone is going to be a Pro Bowler but you need players that play every day and contribute positively to the team and to winning. Mangini is doing that.

I like what's going on...

Archived