Jenkins injury update thread!!

lancemehl

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

SAN DIEGO -- Nose tackle Kris Jenkins suffered a back injury in the first quarter against the Chargers that kept him out of the rest of last night's game. Whether it will keep him out of any more games isn't clear.

Coach Eric Mangini said he didn't think the injury was serious and didn't expect him to miss next week's game.

30613035303230323438643866623130?_RM_EMPTY_&

@StoryAd?x Jenkins, who will be re-examined today, wasn't as sure. "I don't know what's up right now, so I'm not going to discuss it," he said.

Jenkins, 6-4 and 360 pounds, was a force in the middle of the Jets' 3-4 defense in the first two games, earning praise from teammates and opponents. He had seven tackles, one sack and three tackles for losses.

Not returning to the game -- or even the sideline -- clearly bothered him. "I wanted to be out there with my teammates," he said. "I don't care what the score is -- we win together, we lose together."

The Jets' first-round draft picks finally made an impact. TE Dustin Keller had four catches (doubling his season total) for 41 yards and his first NFL touchdown, a 13-yarder from Brett Favre late in the game. LB Vernon Gholston recorded his first NFL tackle.

Their fourth-round pick, CB Dwight Lowery, has been the star of the draft class through three games, with 10 tackles and five passes defensed. Lowery got attention last night, as well, but for a negative reason. He was beat twice on long passes.

The Jets' running game was lost in the blowout, as the team carried just 13 times for 41 yards. Thomas Jones led the team 37 yards on 10 carries.

Kellen Clemens saw his first action of the season, coming in during garbage time on the Jets' last drive. Clemens drove the team down the field, completing three of his first four passes for 26 yards. His fifth, however, was intercepted in the end zone.

LB David Harris led the Jets with 10 tackles, Eric Barton added seven and Calvin Pace had six. ... CB David Barrett's first-quarter interception return for a touchdown was his first of the season and 11th of his nine-year career.

Chargers DT Luis Castillo, of Garfield got a first-half scare when he was hit below the knees by Jones. After laying on the field for several minutes, he left under his own power and missed just one play.

The Jets were 1-for-8 on third-down conversations but 2-for-3 on fourth down. ... The one statistical category they did win? Penalties. The Jets had just two for 5 yards.

Sorry, Ben, we didn't mean it. That's pretty much what the Jets must have told veteran Ben Graham. With new punter Reggie Hodges out for last night's game, the Jets re-signed Graham, who was released last Tuesday following an awful game against the Patriots.

Hodges suddenly appeared on the Jets' injury report on Saturday with a thigh injury and was listed as questionable. It was thought the team would sign rookie punter Waylon Prather off the practice squad if Hodges couldn't go, but the Jets went back to Graham, who had two punts for 76 yards.

CB/KR Justin Miller (dislocated left big toe) and K Mike Nugent (thigh/hamstring) were inactive last night, as expected. Miller missed his third straight game. ... Favre is 5-1 vs. the Chargers. He appeared on "Monday Night Football" for the 16th consecutive season, which ties him with Marcus Allen, Bill Romanowski and Ed White for the longest such streak in NFL history.

http://www.nj.com/starledger/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-0/122214752295900.xml&coll=1

Archived