Cimini: Revis, "Lockout Not Scary"

flgreen

NEW YORK -- The Jets' Darrelle Revis is accustomed to being a lockdown cornerback, not a locked-out corner, but he's not sweating the 67-day work stoppage -- not even with $25 million in salary and bonus money due in 2011.

"I don't think that's scary," Revis told ESPNNewYork.com Saturday at a promotional appearance in Lower Manhattan. "I'm financially stable. I'm good. When the lockout is over, it's over."

Revis said he's not frustrated by the labor mess, expressing optimism because "guys feel this lockout is going to be done soon."

Jets blog

Jets Looking for more on

the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

On the surface, it doesn't appear that way, as the owners claimed a victory this week with the decision by the Eighth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to grant a permanent stay to the lockout -- with strong indications it will again side with the owners on the June 3 appeal.

With no end in sight, the season could be comprised. Revis said he's concerned if the dispute continues, the two sides will alienate the fans.

"I believe so," he said. "I think this thing is going to be more chaos. I was watching [saints quarterback] Drew Brees' interview [Friday] night on SportsCenter, and he was basically saying, 'Football moves people, it makes people happy, it puts joy in people.' This is America's sport. People love to see American football."

Explaining why he believes a deal will get done soon, Revis said he doesn't have any inside knowledge, but he does know something about intense negotiations.

A year ago, he missed the preseason because of a holdout that made national headlines. He wound up receiving a contract from the Jets -- four years, $46 million -- a week before the season opener.

"I think it's going to get done -- all deals get done," he said, smiling -- an obvious reference to his own situation. "Both sides have to find out what's best for each other. It'll get done."

Revis has spent the last two weeks working out at a training center in the Phoenix area, where he usually trains every July in a normal offseason. He invited several teammates to join him, but only one -- second-year cornerback Kyle Wilson -- took him up on the offer.

"I tried to get some of the other guys, but other guys are working out or have their own agenda, which is cool," said Revis, who was planning to fly back to Phoenix after spending only one day in New York.

If Revis is annoyed by the lockout, he did a good job of masking it.

"There's no frustration with me," he said. "It's out of my hands. The only thing I can be is a voice for the players and voice my opinion."

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

Archived