Schotty: Powell a "dynamic" runner

F.Chowds

By Rich Cimini

After using their first two picks on DE Muhammad Wilkerson and DT Kenrick Ellis, the Jets turned offensive for the remainder of the draft. I caught up with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer Wednesday (his first news-media interview in nearly five months) and he gave his take on the four newest members of his unit.

On RB Bilal Powell (fourth round): "He had a terrific, breakout year. He jumped off the charts with his year under Charlie Strong and his staff. You’re talking about an explosive runner that has great vision, great balance, he’s a finisher. I think he had five or six runs over 50 yards. A dynamic young back. We’re a team that’s built with a full backfield. We’ve always been that way."

On WR/PR Jeremy Kerley (fifth round), whom Schottenheimer worked out about two weeks before the draft: "I loved a lot of things about him. The guy’s a great competitior. He has terrific hands. He has great change of direction. I mean, he’s explosive coming in and out of cuts. Working him out and asking him to work a lot of the outside route tree, you saw his ability to drop his weight and change directions."

On QB Greg McElroy (seventh round): "What a great competitor. For him to do what he did (against SEC defenses), the guy is very bright. He’s a winner. Extremely accurate. He’s got the right mindset."

On WR Scotty McKnight (seventh round): "You’re talking about a guy who’s going to make plays. A damn good slot receiver. Tough to handle in the slot and, obviously, he’s going to have a great rapport with Mark (Sanchez)."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/5587/schotty-powell-a-dynamic-runner?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Archived