Parcells Sees Lockout turning Bloody

flgreen

Bill Parcells sees lockout turning bloody

June, 2, 2011

Jun 2

11:07

AM ET

By Tim Graham

When giving his take on the NFL lockout, Bill Parcells stopped just short of channeling Daniel Plainview, the character from the movie "There Will Be Blood" for which Daniel Day-Lewis won the 2007 best actor Oscar.

Parcells

Parcells

Parcells didn't say there will be blood -- and didn't threaten to drink anyone's milkshake, for that matter. But he did say there could be blood.

Parcells joined the NFL in 1979 and has held prominent roles within the AFC East much of that time. He worked through labor disputes in 1982 and 1987, but he claimed the vitriol is worse this time around.

"What makes this one a little bit different is it seems to be a little bit more hostility than normal," Parcells said this week on ESPN101 in St. Louis. "I think there's a little more animus on the side of the owners, and I think quite apparently the players -- from learned behavior and past experience in these negotiations -- is that if they stick to their guns they usually wind up better off. That's been the case.

"But it looks like there could be a little blood in both corners before this is over."

Parcells also told co-hosts Zach McCrite and long-time NFL assistant Rick Venturi the compressed offseason schedule could make teams better, a theory AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky recently explored on his blog.

"I always felt like you really do a better job with less time than more time," Parcells said, "because when you have less time, you have to decide what is really of the utmost importance and you focus immediately on that. Whereas when you have a lot of time to deliberate as to what to do a lot of times you kind of get off on little tangents. You're trying to work on stuff that you're not really sure you're going to use.

"When time is of the essence you make decisions that are important: 'Hey, we have to absolutely do this,' and you kind of get to it. So I think that's probably the way I would approach it. I'd be kind of writing down ‘OK, I need to get this done, this done, this done,' or however long this list is and these are the important things and then these are the ancillary things that I'm hopeful that I could work in."

Thanks to SportsRadioInterviews.com for pointing out an interview I otherwise would have missed. SportsRadioInterviews.com is a great site to track down player, coach and executive interviews on stations outside of your area.

Archived