Rex Won't Speculate on Plax

flgreen

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan won't speculate on Plaxico Burress, prioritizes retaining current team

BY Seth Walder

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, June 17th 2011, 4:00 AM

If the 2011 Jets look like the 2010 Jets, Rex Ryan will be perfectly happy.

Ryan, speaking before another book signing Thursday night, said, "We would love to have all our players back."

When asked specifically about former Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress, the Jets coach simply said, "We want to sign as many of our own players as we possibly can get," but added that it was difficult to speculate about individual players without knowing all of the rules from any potential collective bargaining agreement.

Asked about "guys with off-the-field baggage," - almost certainly a question referring to Burress, who was recently released from prison after serving nearly two years on a gun charge, or another free agent wide receiver, Randy Moss - Ryan said, "In every single locker room, nobody's perfect. Everybody's made mistakes and I've made more than my share."

The wrap-around line of fans waiting outside the Jets Shop in Manhattan flattered Ryan, but so did the fact that so many players have recently expressed an interest in the Jets - including Burress, who called the team "appealing" in an ESPN interview this week.

"When I came here I talked about how I wanted every coach in the league to want to come coach for the Jets and wanted every player to want to play for the Jets," Ryan said.

The Jets coach seemed proud that his players were still practicing together despite the ongoing NFL lockout. Third-year quarterback Mark Sanchez has largely organized the workouts.

"What went on in those practices? Who knows?" Ryan said. "I know one thing, they're having fun. That's the important thing." Ryan added that he thought Sanchez's biggest improvement will come in the leadership department, something he is already demonstrating with the unofficial workouts.

Regarding when Ryan would be back in charge of Jets practice, he said it was up people higher in the food chain than himself.

"The only thing I know is what I read in the papers so we'll see what happens," he said. "We will be ready. I promise you we will be ready."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/06/17/2011-06-17_on_plaxico_rex_gets_gunshy.html#ixzz1PXQzoGdH

Archived