Eric Weddle: Interesting FS prospect

MikeJetsWord

So I have been thinking about all the things that have happened in the past couple weeks.. and there are a couple predictions I think could happen that could lead to us upgrading our FS situation.

1. Holmes is #1 priority. Anyone who has read his book, knows that Rex gushes about him as a person and a player. Also, anyone who has listened to other players interviews will know this-- everyone believes that Holmes will be back and should be the highest priority. I think this is a lock, and also think this means that Braylon is gone. Unfortunate because he is instrumental in our running game as a blocker but it really financially just doesn't make sense to bring both back at such high rates.

2. After today's comments, I definitely see some team way overpaying for Cromartie. He was great for us last year, ranked top 5 in burn rate for corners, and I definitely think Cromartie is going to use that to leverage his way into an astronomically high deal. Ideally he would come back, but unless Revis takes a paycut (lol I laughed at myself even typing that) we won't tie up that much money at the position. We have a first round pick with Kyle Wilson that has to prove he belongs here. After one year in the system, he should have learned the defense and more of the basics of how to play corner in the NFL by now. Its his time to step up, and I am sure Rex believes this as well.

3. Because I think we let these two walk-- I believe we will go after another solid FA pickup, and that is where Eric Weddle comes in. Weddle and Cromartie had problems in San Diego, and since he would be gone I think this could open up an opportunity to upgrade a position of need. I do not believe that SD brings him back, as they just drafted Gilchrist in the 2nd round in the draft, and Weddle is primed for a decent payday. SD is generally cheap when it comes to resigning talent, and Weddle plays centerfield for San Diego, which is what we need here. He has sub-4.5 speed and could definitely help in pass support. I think he could be a good addition. That would leave us with possibly the whitest safety tandem ever, but could probably balance out the void left by Cro.

Also I think looking at someone like Manny Lawson could be an option to help upgrade the pass rush. Either way, this is one of the ways I see it playing out.

Archived