FB Still Conner from the Block

flgreen

Jets FB still Conner from the block

Jets Blog

By MATT LaFEMINA

Last Updated: 5:05 AM, August 10, 2011

Posted: 2:31 AM, August 10, 2011

More Print

When the Jets announced veteran fullback Tony Richardson would not be retained, it was clear 2011 would be Terminator time.

John Conner, known as the "Terminator" by Jets fans, hopes to keep his focus on the field this year as the team's starting fullback.

Conner is coming off a roller coaster season that began with huge expectations resulting from the airing of HBO's "Hard Knocks," which followed the Jets through their tumultuous and highly entertaining 2010 preseason. On the show, Conner dazzled the Jets' coaching staff with his punishing hits and back-breaking blocks, and quickly became of favorite of coach Rex Ryan.

Fans quickly jumped all over the Terminator nickname as Conner continued to garner the interest of NFL fans throughout the "Hard Knocks" season.

Asked if he enjoyed the attention last preseason, Conner said, "We have great fans and I'm honored to be a part of it."

The regular season wasn't as glorious for Conner, who saw limited playing time and became a special-teams player. After an impressive performance in Week 17 after the Jets already had clinched the playoffs, Conner was not included on the Jets' postseason roster.

"I took one for the team," Conner said. "We had meetings on the team and we weren't going to use the fullback too much."

Conner learned a lot playing behind Richardson, and is excited to become the starter this season.

"I've always had that confidence in me," Conner said.

Despite the NFL lockout taking a huge chunk out of the preseason schedule, Conner is unconcerned and said the change only affects him "a little bit."

The bar is high after the departure of Richardson, but Ryan does not expect a drop-off to occur.

"John has got the physical ability," Ryan said. "He one day could be a Pro Bowl fullback."

Ryan acknowledges there likely will be growing pains for Conner this season, but was sure of one thing.

"Certainly will be some collisions with him in there," Ryan said.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/still_conner_from_the_block_DVly6exc4kkm1ARRDCbAdJ#ixzz1UcxdnwVJ

Archived