Burress expected to practice

Jetsfan80

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6853525/plaxico-burress-personal-matter-returns-new-york-jets-practice

Plaxico Burress expected to practice

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

Updated: August 11, 2011, 1:28 PM ET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets wide receiver Plaxico Burress was excused from the team walkthrough Thursday morning because of a "personal" matter, but he returned to training camp and is expected to practice on a limited basis in the afternoon.

His sprained left ankle remains an issue, with coach Rex Ryan admitting that the injury flared up earlier in the week after Burress tested it in practice.

"He had a little more swelling in the ankle and that was to be expected, but it wasn't terrible," said Ryan, who hopes to play Burress in the preseason opener Monday night in Houston. "That's the thing you try to avoid by, how much do you push him? If we would've really pushed him, it could've really been a problem."

Burress, who rolled his ankle eight days ago in an informal workout, did his most extensive work Monday, participating in positional drills and taking three reps in the team portion of practice. The next day, he was held out of team drills. Players were off Wednesday.

Ryan continued to characterize it as a "minor" injury, saying he's not aware of any plans to have Burress take an MRI exam. Ryan said they're being cautious, adding, "If there's swelling ... there's no sense in pushing him."

The team declined to give the reason for Burress' absence, with Ryan calling it a "planned excused deal." Chances are, it was a legal matter. Burress was released from prison in June after serving 20 months for illegal weapons possession.

The Jets are 11 days into training camp, and yet Burress has participated in only four team reps since signing a one-year, $3 million contract. He was required to sit the first three days, per the post-lockout rules, as players with new contracts waited for the CBA to be ratified.

Time soon will become an issue, as quarterback Mark Sanchez tries to build chemistry with his revamped receiving corps. He and Burress dined together Wednesday night in Manhattan, and they discussed their plans once he's healthy.

"What Plax and I talked about was, as soon as he's ready to go, we just have to hit it hard," Sanchez said, adding, "There's plenty of time to get things right. The important thing is, just don't waste time when he gets back."

Barring a setback to the ankle, Ryan said he'd like Burress to see action against the Texans.

"We won't put him out there if we think he's at risk ... but I'd like to see him get out there for a few snaps," Ryan said. "I'm expecting him to play some."

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2011/08/plaxico-burress-skips-morning-walkthrough-for-personal-matter

Plaxico Burress skips morning walkthrough for 'personal' matter

BY Kevin Armstrong

August 11, 2011 12:58 PM

Jets wideout Plaxico Burress (ankle) missed Thursday morning's walkthrough due to a "personal" matter that he had been excused by the team to do.

"It was not like he missed anything," Ryan said.

Burress, set to turn 34 on Friday, experienced more swelling in his injured left ankle earlier in the week and is still being monitored by the team's training staff. He is back at the team's facility for afternoon practice. Ryan expects him to partake in drills.

"We won't put him out there if we think he's at risk, as with any player," Ryan said of the possibility of seeing Burress play in the preseason opener against the Houston Texans Monday night. "But I'd like to see him get out there. I'm expecting him to play some."

On Tuesday, Burress did not go through team drills. He experienced more swelling in the ankle, which he originally rolled while running routes on his own. Ryan and the staff decided to cut back on his repetitions and the coach also said he was not sure whether Burress underwent an MRI. He maintained that the issue was still "minor".

"Those ankles, if you don't get them healed, can be a problem throughout the year," Ryan said. "We're gonna make sure we get him back to near 100 percent and then get him out there."

Goal line and short yardage packages, a favorite part of training camp for Ryan, will be the theme of the afternoon's practice.

"If you think about it, it's really the first hitting we've done since that Pittsburgh game with the No. 1 guys," Ryan said. "I'm sure it will be fun and lively out there."

Ryan told the team it has already reached its quota for fights in light of several skirmishes over the last week.

"I let them know it's time to just play football," Ryan said. "We reached our quota."

Burress and quarterback Mark Sanchez had dinner together Wednesday night.

"There's plenty of time to get things right," Sanchez said. "I think the most important thing is we just don't waste the time when he gets back."

Sanchez bought Burress dinner Wednesday night after losing out in a throwing drill to him.

"I missed, and I figured we might go somewhere Mexican where I might get it for free so I didn't have to pay but he said that was off limits," Sanchez said.

Tight end Dustin Keller upped his weight to 255 pounds, readying his frame for better blocking while maintaining the bursts that allow him to separate from linebackers and defensive backs out in the offense.

Ryan said he would like to see him be more aggressive in blocking this season, and said Matthew Mulligan was the team's best blocking tight end.

Cornerback Marquice Cole, excused for the beginning of camp due to an undisclosed family issue, made his first appearance on the sideline.

He wore a practice uniform and stood by the goalpost while the defense walked through its packages.

"It's great to have him back; he looks good, too," Ryan said.

Ryan said rookie defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson (hip) is healthy to practice after missing part of Tuesday's session.

Archived