Logan Payne to have Surgery

flgreen

Logan Payne to have wrist surgery; John Conner nursing sprained ankle

Published: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 2:40 PM Updated: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 2:57 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

conner.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerJohn Conner has an ankle sprain, but Rex Ryan is hopeful he'll be ready for regular-season opener.

Receiver Logan Payne, who dislocated his wrist last night against the Giants, will need to have surgery, coach Rex Ryan said today.

"I don't know how long he'll be out," Ryan said. "That's one of those things where once we have the surgery, we'll find out more about it when we go in."

Payne had been in good position to secure the No. 5 receiver spot, before injuring his wrist on the punt coverage team in the first quarter.

Ryan also said fullback John Conner has a left ankle injury and is in a boot. He will be out for Thursday's game against the Eagles -- and Ryan said they'll see on his status for the regular-season opener.

Ryan called the injury a sprain and said he is "hopeful" Conner will be ready for Dallas. He is expected to spend the next two weeks in the training room to get healthy for the game.

"He's an awful tough kid and I'd assume that he'd be ready," Ryan said.

Ryan said that he would call Tony Richardson, who started for the Jets at fullback the past three seasons, if something happened to Conner this season. But Ryan added that Conner's ankle injury is "not even close to" that serious.

CB Darrelle Revis (hip) will have his reps monitored in practice, but it is not a serious ailment. Ryan also said he feels "great" about having NT Sione Pouha (knee) for the opener.

QB Mark Brunell (calf) will not practice today, along with OL Trevor Canfield (knee) and WR Derrick Mason (left knee). TE Jeff Cumberland (hamstring) will be limited.

Ryan praised the play of his defense and predicted the unit will be ranked No. 1 in the league.

“I wouldn’t trade this defense for anybody’s in the league,” Ryan said. “You’re not going to be perfect, but will we end up being the best defense in football? I think so. Believe me, the least concern I have is about our defense ... I challenge everybody: Put your negative comments out there, and we’ll see what happens at the end.”

The starters will not play Thursday night, but Ryan said rookie first-round pick Muhammad Wilkerson will be on the field for extra practice.

Ryan said he still needs to see more from former first-round pick Aaron Maybin for him to earn a roster spot.

"I think he's going to have to show that he's that pass rusher we think he's got a chance to be," Ryan said. "Quite honestly (Jamaal) Westerman and (Garrett) McIntyre are playing really well for us. He is going to have to show more. I think he's going to play in this league; we'll see if he can play for us."

Ryan confirmed the Jets have cut P Chris Bryan and K Nick Novak. The team also let go WR Courtney Smith.

Ryan said Folk has been kicking "outstanding" and the Jets "feel great" about him. He also believes Novak could catch on elsewhere.

"I think the young man will be able to kick on this league, I don't think there's any question about that," Ryan said about Novak. "This will give him an opportunity to hook on maybe for a game and who knows what will go from there."

Archived