Jets News 9-15

flgreen

TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz was at practice yesterday. Last year, several Jets made inappropriate comments toward Sainz and that sparked a controversy. Bruce Speight, the team's senior director of media relations, stood next to her during practice. . . .

that's my job !

Brunell Holds Onto a Few Jacksonville Memories

Posted by Randy Lange on September 15, 2011 – 4:59 pm

Updated, 5:55 p.m. ET

If I know my Rex, and I think I do, Mark Brunell will be out at midfield for Sunday’s opening coin flip. Ryan named permanent team captains this season but he said he’d still be sending out game captains based on players’ connections with the opponent at hand, and Brunell and Jacksonville go way back.

“I’m looking forward to seeing some old friends, people that are still with the organization,” Brunell told me today. “The players obviously are all different, the coaching staff is all different. I did play one year for Coach Del Rio. I just haven’t gone there yet, but I’m sure when I see those teal uniforms out there on gameday it’ll bring back some memories.”

Brunell was not the very first starter for the expansion Jaguars in 1995 — that honor went to Steve Beuerlein. But when Beuerlein hurt his knee in Game 2, the Jags turned to Brunell. And Brunell made the first start of his pro career the next week against, as historical happenstance would have it, the Jets.

Yes, I did, and it was on my birthday,” he recalled. “Boomer Esiason went up and down the field on us.”

Ah, memories. But back to the future. It will be a trip for Brunell if he is at MetLife midfield before the start of Sunday’s game and it will be a hoot for him if he’s out there at the end of the game as he was last Sunday night against the Cowboys.

Eagle-eyed fans noticed that Brunell, not first-year punter T.J. Conley, was the holder for Nick Folk on his game-winning 50-yard field goal, and indeed for Folk’s four other placements that night.

“I think about a week into camp I knew I’d probably be the holder, but honestly, going into this game, I was a little nervous because I didn’t get on the field in the preseason,” he said, due to two separate injuries.

“No one pays attention to the holder. I think my kids knew. It’s a thankless job. No one really knows who the holder is unless he drops one and you don’t want that to happen. But actually for me, it’s fun to get on the field, even if it’s just for that and the high-fives after the first field goal or PAT. I enjoy it and if it helps the team, I’m more than happy to get out there and hold.”

And for something as dramatic as Folk’s 50-yarder amid all the noise and pressure of the September 11th 10th anniversary Sunday night game? “To win the game in that fashion, that’s why you want to hold right there, to be a part of those moments.”

Why the move from Conley to Brunell? Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff said today it was a comfort level thing with Folk.

“Nick feels pretty good with T.J. also, but Mark has very, very good mechanics, just excellent,” Westhoff said. “Obviously, being a quarterback, he’s got great hand presence. And Nick feels very good with him. Mark’s done it well in the past, so we’re happy to do that.”

Considering that he was the holder in the Saints’ biggest season all the way through Super Bowl XLIV two years ago, the move should work out well. As Brunell said, “So far, so good.”

Evolving Injury Picture

The Jets added three new injuries to their list today. S Eric Smith turned an ankle late in practice and so was listed as limited. WR Santonio Holmes, who had a knee issue Wednesday, today tweaked his quadriceps and was also limited. RB-ST Joe McKnight was also new to the list with a dislocated finger, but he didn’t miss any time and practiced full.

LB David Harris sat out his second practice with a toe injury, but Ryan was optimistic for his availability for the Jaguars. “He feels better,” Rex said. “We were on the turf so I never wanted to put him out there. I still think he’ll play.”

The reason the Jets were on their fieldhouse turf was because after walking through and about to start stretching on the outdoor grass fields, the skies over Florham Park, N.J., opened up with a burst of rain, sending the team indoors.

The Jets’ full I-list is here. The Jaguars’ list is basically the same as Wednesday, with four players — TE Marcedes Lewis (calf), DE Aaron Kampman (knee), WR Jason Hill (hip) and CB Derek Cox (chest) not practicing for a second straight day.

Archived