Jets News 10-18

flgreen

Must win games

October, 18, 2011

Oct 18

4:06

PM ET

By Jane McManus

When you are 3-3 with Super Bowl ambitions, there are a lot of must win games on the Jets schedule. A day after the Jest beat Miami 24-6, Jets coach Rex Ryan said this weekend's matchup against the Chargers at MetLife is another.

“We have to win this one it’s against an excellent football team,” Ryan said. “In fact we’re underdogs at our own stadium which seems really odd to me. ...We definitely need to get this win in our backyard in front of our fans and then have that bye and then the second part of the season will start. This is a critical game for us and we’re approaching it that way.”

Ryan took the opportunity to praise his team for showing their resilience against the 0-5 Dolphins.

He pointed out RT Wayne Hunter, and said the new starter got a game ball for taking on Cameron Wake one-on-one all game. He also praised DT Kenrick Ellis during his first NFL game.

I

n terms of injuries, Antonio Cromartie's groin pull was the only news. He left the game in the fourth quarter but said immediately afterwards said he expected to be fine. Ryan echoed that today, and said Nick Mangold with the high ankle sprain would likely be limited in practice again this week but play Sunday.

“I think Cro is going to be fine. It’s like a groin pull but I think he probably could’ve continued in that game," Ryan said. "But I expect him to probably be limited Wednesday and probably do more as the week goes on. I expect him to play, I expect Nick to play.”

Clearly the running game and Plaxico Burress are weak points in the offense. Here Ryan talks about hos Burress has been slow to get into the offense.

Jets' Kenrick Ellis won't face trial until after 2011 NFL season

Published: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 4:50 PM Updated: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 5:09 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Kenrick Ellis, the Jets' third-round draft pick, won't face trial on a malicious wounding felony charge until after the conclusion of this NFL season.

Ellis, who was arrested during his time at Hampton University, was due to begin trial Nov. 28, but that date has been postponed to Feb. 7, 2012, according to court records. The NFL season concludes with Super Bowl XLVI on Feb. 5.

Ellis' trial was previously continued from July 12 to the date in November. It's not clear when, or for what reason, the postponement until February occurred.

Ellis made his season debut Monday night against Miami, unofficially playing 17 snaps with the Jets' defensive line. The rookie was not active for the team's first five games.

CB Darrelle Revis, in a spot on ESPN 1050's The Michael Kay Show, said he did not believe he should have drawn a penalty for illegal contact or pass interference against Brandon Marshall on Revis' 100-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Revis said when he watched it on film, he noticed Marshall "stumbling on his own... I kind of moved out of the way and the ball was there."

"There are a whole bunch of things that happen out on the field," Revis said. "I wasn’t whining when he pulled me down a bunch of times."

"They can whine and cry and whatever they want to say," Revis continued, responding to a question about Miami fans upset with the non-call. "But sometimes a receiver does something and the refs don’t call it, sometimes I do stuff and the refs don’t call it, sometimes they let us play football. And that’s just really how it is. ... I'm not going to whine when he pushes off. I go talk to the refs, and they say, 'Hey.' You’ve got to fight through those things."

Archived