Jets News 10-26

flgreen

LaDainian Tomlinson says NY Jets have unwavering swagger, a byproduct of Rex Ryan's personality

BY Kristie Ackert

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Originally Published:Wednesday, October 26th 2011, 4:00 AM

The swagger is just part of the DNA of the Jets now, LaDainian Tomlinson said. Wins, losses, no matter the record, the Jets are going to have that swagger.

“Our coach is Rex Ryan and they say you are a product of your head coach. We certainly are. That confidence is never lacking,” Tomlinson said. “When we lost three straight, we had to check ourselves a bit, but I think the confidence is still there and we are set up perfectly heading into the second half of the season.”

With the Jets at 4-3 heading into the bye week, Tomlinson said Gang Green will know where it stands with two straight AFC East showdowns. After the bye, the Jets face the surprising Bills and then the Patriots.

“That will tell us a lot about this team and who we are,” Tomlinson said.

Sunday, the Jets also showed they could have more of a balanced offense in their win over the Chargers, Tomlinson said. The Jets went back to a ground-and-pound mentality, with Shonn Greene running the ball 20 times for 112 yards. That is no knock on Mark Sanchez’s abilities, Tomlinson said. The third-year quarterback is just finding rhythm with wide receiver Plaxico Burress.

“Running the ball is what Rex Ryan believes in; it took us to two AFC Championship Games,” Tomlinson said. “And Mark Sanchez, he was brought here to be the franchise player.

“There are different ways to win games. Sometimes we are going to run the ball,” Tomlinson said, “and sometimes Mark is going to have to throw the ball 30 to 40 times.

“It’s all about winning games and whatever works.”

That will be key when the Jets get back to work next week, Tomlinson said. He missed the fourth quarter against San Diego with the flu, but said he is getting over it.

“I’ll be ready,” Tomlinson said. “The bye came at the right time for me.”

Tomlinson was at the Pop International Galleries in Soho Tuesday night to host the opening of a show by the artist Bermano. A South African fight promoter turned pop artist, Bermano unveiled a painting titled

“LT21.” The proceeds from the sale of the painting will go to Tomlinson’s Touching Lives Foundation.

“It’s special with the painting; it goes a long way for the foundation,” said Tomlinson, who also met with some children who will get to go to a Jets game through his foundation. “That’s my favorite part of all this, meeting the kids.”

Bermano, who has been painting for less than a year, said he reached out to Tomlinson because he knew he was more than a football player.

“He’s a man who understands he was given this talent, and that comes with the responsibility to help others,” Bermano said. “He gets that.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/26/2011-10-26_ladainian_tomlinson_says_ny_jets_have_unwavering_swagger_a_byproduct_of_rex_ryan.html#ixzz1btWRdmqW

Pelzman: Jets have time to fly during bye

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Record

Hey, Plaxico Burress, you just caught three touchdown passes in one game and reestablished yourself as a red-zone go-to guy. Now that your team has a bye, where are you going?

I’m just going to spend a little time with my family," the Jets’ wide receiver said Monday, "[and] take my kids down to Disney World for the week."

OK, so the Jets haven’t won the Super Bowl of late and Super Bowl MVPs are supposed to go to Disney World’s sister property, Disneyland. But their comeback victory over the Chargers on

Sunday was a nice sendoff before the players get some R & R during their time off.

As usual, coach Rex Ryan went above and beyond the rules of the new collective bargaining agreement, which stipulates that players must get at least four consecutive days off during a team’s bye. The Jets (4-3) had meetings Monday, then the players were excused. They will return to practice Monday.

This approach didn’t work the last two seasons. In 2009 and ’10, the Jets lost their game following the bye, both at home. This time, they resume at Buffalo on Nov. 6, the first leg of a three-game stretch in 12 days. They then host New England in a prime-time game Nov. 13, and visit Denver four days later for another night game.

The bye comes at a good time in terms of player health. Center Nick Mangold, linebacker David Harris and rookie nose tackle Kenrick Ellis are battling ankle injuries. It also comes right after the Jets’ most complete game of the season, which was their first victory over a team above .500.

So maybe it’s a bit of a buzz kill. Burress says no.

The bye "doesn’t really stop the momentum," Burress said. "We went out [sunday] and got some results from all the things, all the hard work in practice. It’s one of those things where the bye always kind of seems to do that. You go out and try to do what you can during the bye week to keep yourself in the best shape, whatever that may be."

"We ended on a good note and that’s where we want to pick up," cornerback Antonio Cromartie said. "When we get back, guys are going to be ready, because our next two games are very important division games. We’re playing against Buffalo and then come back again and play New England. We just have to make sure our mind-sets are correct when we come back in, everyone is fresh and everyone is coming back healthy. That’s all we’re worried about."

"We’ll do it business as usual," Ryan said of the bye. "The only difference is we’re going to win coming out of the bye this year."

And if the Jets can regain their momentum after this respite, who knows how far they might go?

Maybe Burress’ children will have a chance at another Disney vacation.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Jets get extra motivation from critics

Last Updated: 9:39 AM, October 26, 2011

Posted: 12:59 AM, October 26, 2011

More Print

headshotBrian Costello

ON THE JETS

Every morning a packet of articles arrives on Rex Ryan’s desk.

It contains everything that was written about the Jets that day.

Sometimes the packet reaches 50 pages. The coach goes through the articles, looking for criticisms, slights and rips on his team.

“I try to read everything and I try to see everything that I can because it drives me [and] it drives our football team,” Ryan said.

Ryan has had plenty of material lately. Critics, including some of Ryan’s former players, hammered the Jets during their three-game losing streak. People reveled in watching the chatty Jets get humbled.

But all of that criticism had an unintended consequence. The rips and digs have brought together a team that was, at best, splintered and, at worst, ready to implode.

The Jets relish being hated and doubted, and that is exactly how they feel now after absorbing a month of body blows.

“I love when there is a challenge out there to us,” Ryan said. “I think this team responds because they know it’s like, ‘Hey, we believe in each other,’ regardless of whether people say they stopped believing.”

After Sunday’s victory against the Chargers, several defensive players took issue with Warren Sapp’s remarks on the NFL Network that the defense was Darrelle Revis and 10 other guys.

Linebacker Bart Scott did not speak to reporters. He clearly did not like the perception that the Jets defense had gone soft on the run. He also pointed reporters in the direction of Plaxico Burress, who endured weeks of questioning before Sunday’s three-touchdown game.

“I’m going to let Plaxico do the talking. He has some things to get off his chest,” Scott said. “As for the defense, we’ll just be slap[sticks] who can’t stop the run. We’re embracing our role.”

Two wins have rebuilt the Jets’ psyche, but the criticism has let them regain their personality. The Jets have been underdogs since Ryan arrived, but they started this season hearing Super Bowl predictions (even some from outside their coach’s office) and seemed to lose their edge.

That edge is back. They feel disrespected, underestimated and written off. And don’t think Ryan hasn’t let them know what every TV talking head and newspaper columnist has said. It’s one of his favorite tactics.

Before the Chargers playoff game two years ago, Ryan gathered the team the night before the game in a hotel meeting room. He showed a video of every commentator from that week who said the Jets had no chance against the Chargers. The Jets won, 17-14.

“I do it to drive me,” Ryan told The Post of his use of bulletin-board material. “I’ve been doubted all my life. That’s part of the thing that drives me. I take it as a personal challenge. People who don’t follow the team on a day-to-day basis, maybe they’re in the national media, when they make comments about this team that really drives me. They don’t even follow us and they’re popping off.

“There is that, ‘I want to show you. I want to prove to you that you’re wrong.’ ”

There is no bigger target than Ryan for the media. Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher criticized Ryan this week on the CBS pregame show.

“To me, Rex is more concerned with perception than reality,” Cowher said. “Reality should be done with your deeds and not your words. Now, I have concerns this is going to trickle down at some point, and his words are going to become hollow. It’s going to filter down to his team. I believe they win today, but he’s heading down a slippery slope.”

Those comments made their way back to Ryan, who responded Monday without naming Cowher.

“I know there is a coach that was saying they don’t believe what I say,” Ryan said. “Really? Oh, OK, I wonder who you talked to. No one in this locker room.”

That locker room almost fractured from within two weeks ago. The barbs and digs from the outside have been the stitches Ryan has used to sew it back together.

Hard time to say it’s a good bye

The Jets’ bye week arrives at a terrible time for the team. They feel as if they are just hitting their groove and now they go home for six days. It will help banged-up players on the team like Nick Mangold and David Harris, but overall it does the Jets more harm than good.

The Jets are 0-2 under Rex Ryan after bye weeks, losing a wacky game to the Jaguars two years ago and falling to the Packers last season. Ryan gives his players the entire week off after Monday.

He did not alter that plan this year.

Teams have struggled around the NFL after their bye this year, going 3-9. The new collective bargaining agreement requires players to have four consecutive days off.

Some feel that is too much time off. Bill Parcells used to never want to give players too many days off in a row. He feared what would happen when they traveled home or to their alma maters.

The Jets say they will be ready to go when they come back next week.

“We just have to be smart in that first practice back on Monday, or whenever it is, and not have the typical ‘Oh, you guys look like you took a week off’ day,” guard Brandon Moore said. “We really have to zero in and get a lot out of that day, and gain a little bit of an advantage there after losing a little bit during the week off. I think that’s the biggest thing we have to focus on is that practice on Monday.”

The Jets yesterday waived center Colin Baxter, who started two games this season, and released OL Matt Kroul from the practice squad. Former Eagles DE Ricky Sapp tweeted the Jets had signed him to their practice squad last night, but a source said he had not been signed by the team.

Former Bills TE Shawn Nelson visited for a workout, according to a source.

Stat’s just par for course

The Jets talked about some of their statistical goals during training camp. The bye week feels like a good time to check on how they are doing in those categories:

* Mark Sanchez’s completion percentage: 55.8, 28th in the NFL

* Third-down defense: 32 percent, sixth

* Interceptions: 11, tied for third

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/write_kinda_fuel_M31zJBhO17IK7iAP0CucBJ#ixzz1btYrWlZI

Baxter Waived, Kroul Released

By Jets Media Relations Department

Posted 13 hours ago

The New York Jets have waived center Colin Baxter from the active roster and released offensive lineman Matt Kroul from the practice squad. The announcements were made by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Baxter (6'3", 310) was claimed off waivers from the San Diego Chargers on Sept. 4 after originally entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent July 27. He started two of the three games he played for the Jets this season in place of injured C Nick Mangold.

Kroul (6'3", 300) was signed to the practice squad Sept. 4 after being waived a day earlier. After the 2010 season, the former defensive tackle was signed to a reserve/future contract Jan. 26. He spent the first 15 weeks of 2010 on the Jets' active roster, seeing action in six games and recording two tackles.

Kroul originally joined the Jets as an undrafted free agent May 1, 2009, and spent the season as a member of the practice squad.

Baxter Waived, Kroul Released

By Jets Media Relations Department

Posted 13 hours ago

The New York Jets have waived center Colin Baxter from the active roster and released offensive lineman Matt Kroul from the practice squad. The announcements were made by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Baxter (6'3", 310) was claimed off waivers from the San Diego Chargers on Sept. 4 after originally entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent July 27. He started two of the three games he played for the Jets this season in place of injured C Nick Mangold.

Kroul (6'3", 300) was signed to the practice squad Sept. 4 after being waived a day earlier. After the 2010 season, the former defensive tackle was signed to a reserve/future contract Jan. 26. He spent the first 15 weeks of 2010 on the Jets' active roster, seeing action in six games and recording two tackles.

Kroul originally joined the Jets as an undrafted free agent May 1, 2009, and spent the season as a member of the practice squad.

Sorry to hear about Kroul. Thought he did OK as a Guard in camp

A look back at the Jets' 27-21 win against San Diego

Published: Tuesday, October 25, 2011, 8:26 PM Updated: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 2:35 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Finally, Rex Ryan felt as though his offense and defense played up to expectations. The result was a 27-21 win against the Chargers that restored both identity and confidence to the Jets — not to mention backed up Ryan, after he took an accidental shot at San Diego’s Norv Turner last week.

Ryan always says the day after games that the film looked pretty much like what he saw live. And when he watched the film Monday, he thought, “great game.” Here’s a look at a five things from that game that warrant a second look:

1. Ground and pound

Ryan admitted he “got caught up in maybe being enamored with the type of personnel we had,” when the Jets opened the season as a passing offense. He made the change back to ground-and-pound four weeks ago, and reaped the biggest returns in Sunday’s game. Both the team (162 yards) and Shonn Greene (112 yards) had their best rushing outputs of the season, keyed by some important adjustments up front. RG Brandon Moore said the Jets emphasized being physical along the line and using double teams to create downhill runs that softened the opponent up. Greene’s longest run of the year, 24 yards, was beautifully executed: C Nick Mangold pushed DT Antonio Garay to TE Matt Mulligan, who blocked him nicely. Moore shoved aside LB Takeo Spikes to open up running room. And remember the Greene who punished DBs? He was back, running over CB Quentin Jammer at the line of scrimmage and bursting ahead for 15 more yards on a later run in the third quarter.

2. Plaxico Burress vs. Antoine Cason

It’s unbelievable the Chargers let this matchup go on all afternoon, because the 6-foot-5 Burress repeatedly got the best of the smaller Chargers cornerback, often in one-on-one coverage. Cason, who gave up all three of Burress’ touchdowns, was shoved aside off the line on Burress’ first score.

On the second two, he did the one thing he could not: give space to Burress in the end zone. Burress also juked Cason on his first catch of the game, a 15-yarder. Sunday’s results could serve as a warning to upcoming opponents as far as how they match up on Burress, particularly in the red zone.

3. Santonio Holmes?

Between the excitement over the win and Burress’ big game, buried was the fact that Holmes was targeted just three times, for two catches and 24 yards (his 23-yard touchdown was called back after a holding penalty on Mangold). The Jets claim to not have a No. 1 receiver, but they also re-signed Holmes for five years and $50 million. The Jets’ offense is known for featuring different guys each week, so his targets can be expected to be up and down, but that no doubt bears watching.

4. Third-down conversions

The Jets (8-of-13) bested the Chargers (7-of-14), the most successful third-down offense in the league entering the game. That statistic is more impressive considering that their average yards to go on third down was 7. One key factor has been the emergence of rookie Jeremy Kerley as a third-down receiver. Kerley converted three third downs, two on the third-quarter scoring drive that closed San Diego’s lead to 21-17.

5. Platoon at OLB

After Bryan Thomas was lost for the season with an Achilles injury, the Jets said they didn’t have one player to replace him opposite Calvin Pace, but would probably use a committee. For the first time, Josh Mauga, a second-year player who has been cross-training at inside and outside linebacker, started at OLB. Ryan said Mauga has great instincts and gives them a “great cover linebacker” who can be used in man or zone coverage and can stick with vertical routes. Mauga is also the back-up at ILB, filling in when David Harris missed a few series with an ankle sprain. When Harris first came out, Mauga stayed on the field and rookie Nick Bellore actually came in for a few snaps just on that drive. Jamaal Westerman and Aaron Maybin also cycled in, more for pass-rush situations.

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Jets try out six players during bye week

Published: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 9:26 AM Updated: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 9:54 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

While the Jets are on their bye week, they brought in six players for tryouts yesterday, including four receivers. The team has not announced any signings yet, but has openings after waiving reserve center Colin Baxter from the 53-man roster and cut DL/OL Matt Kroul from the practice squad.

Here's the list of players:

WRs Andy Brewer, undrafted out of Northwestern in 2010 and most recently played for the UFL's Omaha Nighthawks.

WR/KR DaMarcus Ganaway, undrafted out of Kentucky-Wesleyan in 2010.

WR Dexter Jackson, a former second-round pick by Tampa Bay out of Appalachian State. He most recently played for the UFL's Virginia Destroyers, who won the league's championship under coach Marty Schottenheimer.

WR Jamarko Simmons, undrafted out of Western Michigan in 2009 and also on the Destroyers' roster this year.

DE Ricky Sapp, a 2010 fifth-round pick who was cut by the Eagles in August. Sapp wrote on his Twitter account last night that he had signed with the Jets, but a team spokesman said that is not accurate.

TE Shawn Nelson, who played two seasons for the Bills before being released in September.

Stat check: What happened to the run D?

October, 26, 2011

Oct 26

10:13By Rich Cimini

Continuing our bye-week analysis of the Jets, the focus shifts to the defense. These averages are based on 2011 (seven game) and 2010 (16 games).

DEFENSE

Major categories:

Total yards -- 2011: 323.6 (9th) ... 2010: 291.5 (3rd) ... Difference: -9.9%

Rush yards -- 2011: 126.9 (26th) ... 2010: 90.9 (3rd) ... Difference: -28.4%

Pass yards -- 2011: 196.7 (7th) ... 2010: 200.6 (6th) ... Difference: +1.9%

Total scoring -- 2011: 21.7 (14th) ... 2010: 19.0 (6th) ... Difference: -12.4%

Other key categories:

3rd d con -- 2011: 31.9% (6th) ... 2010: 37.0% (10th)

Sacks p/ply -- 2011: 7.3% (6th) ... 2010: 7.0% (9th)

Red zone -- 2011: 50.0% (15th) ... 2010: 58.8% (25th)

Analysis: The Jets' pre-season goal was to improve on third down and in the red zone -- and they've accomplished that. But, much like the offense, the defense has slipped dramatically in its bread-and-butter category -- in this case, stopping the run. If the old football tenet holds true in 2011 -- the best teams run the ball and stop the run -- the Jets are in trouble. The most important category is scoring defense, and the Jets' average has gone up by nearly a field goal. That's a little skewed, however, because of four pick/fumble 6s by the offense.

2011 Midterms: The Jets Defensive Line

by Bassett on October 26th, 2011 at 9:00 am

With the Jets getting their bye week this Sunday, we’re going to be doing a lot of analysis of the Jets so far this season. We’re going to take a look at the current roster and provide some thoughts about what we’ve seen so far. First up, the Defensive Line

Current Roster: Mike DeVito (DE), Ropati Pitoitua (DE), Muhammad Wilkerson (DL), Marcus Dixon (DT), Kenrick Ellis (DT), Sione Pouha (DT), Martin Tevaseu (DT)

Football Outsiders: Run 15th (4.06 Adjusted Line Yards) Pass 6th (8.1% Adjust Sack Rate)

Total Yards: 15th – 4.2 Yards per attempt

Analysis: For Rex Ryan, rushing the passer starts with stopping the run. It’s one of the things he takes the greatest pride in, year in and year out. Rex wants to have his opponents backed up in 3rd and 5s (or worse) to cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war. So far though, it’s not been a great start of the season for the Jets Defensive Line, but I think despite the setbacks, the unit is coming around. The Jets are adjusting to life without Shaun Ellis, Wilkerson has played commendably for a rookie, but not at the same level that Ellis was providing to the team just last year. Wilkerson is starting to beat some doubles, registering tackles for loss, but will still lose here and again at the point of attack. On top of that, the unit has been dealing with some injuries (DeVito, Pitoitua) that they are working through to get better. While the team was having a tough time stopping the run in earlier games, the team has improved drastically in recent weeks – most notably as we just saw last weekend against Ryan Matthews and Mike Tolbert, allowing just under 100 yards total on the ground.

Moving Forward: Right now, the team is doing a good job of pressuring the QB, but as far as the core purpose of Ryan’s DL, the improvement needs to be made against the run. Look for the unit to improve, they’ve been climbing the rankings slowly in recent weeks, but the team dug themselves into quite a hole early in the season. Getting DeVito will be key to helping out the battery … specifically Sione Pouha. The team is getting their corrections made, getting healthy and should be ready to step up their game for the second half of the season.

NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi blasts Brandon Marshall

by: Mike Berardino October 26th, 2011 | 9:15 AM

So much for bravery in the face of mental illness.

Brandon Marshall made the mistake during his Harvard appearance on Monday night of being honest about his misgivings toward the Miami Dolphins’ game plan against the Jets, and now he’s getting drilled for it.

“No receiver drops more balls than Brandon Marshall in the league,” Lombardi said. “He’s one of the top five receivers in dropping passes. … I wrote on my Twitter account that he’s not a No. 1 receiver. People [were] all over. Some agreed, some were giving me a bunch of junk, but the reality of it is No. 1 receivers don’t drop passes. Number 1 receivers are able to get down the field and make explosive plays.”

Marshall, you’ll recall, caught just six passes for 109 yards in the 24-6 loss to the Jets on the Monday night stage. But he also was targeted a team-high13 times, dropped a tough chance in the end zone and stumbled out of bounds 46 yards into what could have been a much longer touchdown reception.

“Brandon Marshall is a good player,” Lombardi continued. “He really is. And I’ve said this before, but he’s a yards-after-catch receiver. He needs to break tackles and get open. What he allowed [Darrelle] Revis to do to him showed he’s not a No. 1 guy. He’s got enough skills to be a No. 1 player but he doesn’t play like it, especially when he drops the ball.”

Marshall does indeed lead all NFL receivers with seven drops — five for potential touchdowns — on 61 total targets. By comparison, Santonio Holmes has been targeted 40 times with the Jets and has zero drops.

Hakeem Nicks, whom the Dolphins will face this Sunday against the Giants, hasn’t dropped any of the 50 passes sent his way.

Marshall’s average of 14.2 yards per catch is tied for 47th in the league, a tick below Brian Hartline, the Dolphins’ leader at 14.3.

However, Marshall also is on pace for a 1,288-yard receiving season, which would be the second-best of his career. His 34 catches put him on pace to finish with 91, which would mark a second time in as many years with the Dolphins in which he failed to reach triple digits.

“For [Marshall] to take shots at the game plan, I think is really unfair,” Lombardi said. ”It’s kind of a low blow. He could have done a couple things to help that team win [against the Jets], like catch a touchdown pass early in the game or not run out of bounds when nobody was pushing him out of bounds.”

Special Teams at the Bye: A Dominant Unit

By Andrew LeRay

During the bye week we're presenting midseason reports on the three phases of the Jets attack. Today: Special Teams:

Mike Westhoff and the Jets' special teams have fostered the reputation of being one of strongest groups in the NFL. Since joining the Jets in 2001, Westhoff’s unit has led the league with 15 kickoff-return touchdowns. In 2011, the teams are at it again, ranking at or near the top in several categories.

This bye week Westhoff handicapped his group, offering midterm assessments of his kicking, coverage and return units.

On the Cusp of Folk Lore

K Nick Folk and his steady foot have been as consistent as anyone in the NFL through seven weeks. One of five kickers in the league to maintain a perfect 100 percent field goal percentage, Folk has converted all 10 of his attempts. That also ties the franchise record for most successful FGs without a miss to start a season, held by Pat Leahy (1986) and Jay Feely (2009).

“The big thing for Nick is to just be consistent with his technique,” said Westhoff. “Sometimes he can get all over the place. He’s worked very hard on that. Then he found a real comfort level with Mark [brunell] as his holder, and that’s made a difference.”

Folk spent much of his offseason working out near his home in California, and Westhoff said he came to training camp in much better shape than he had in 2010. Folk was then embroiled in a kicking competition with Nick Novak, who was later cut and then signed by the Chargers.

Folk "actually started off training camp a little bit slow, and then he got better and better,” said Westhoff. “I think the biggest improvement — there are two big things. One, he’s being consistent with his technique. Then two, his kickoffs. He redid his approach, and he’s just done an excellent job.”

Thanks to Folk and his relentless kick-coverage unit, opponents are starting drives with miserable field position, on average at their 19.5-yard line, second-best in the NFL. Additionally, 14 drives have started inside the opposing 20-yard line, the most in the league.

“He’ll try to get a touchback wherever he can,” said the coach. “His hang time is good, and the fact that people are enticed to bring the ball out, even though the ball is minus-4, minus-5, minus-6 — that’s a pretty good kick for us. Then the problem is they have to return it against us, and we’re pretty good.”

Conley's Continuing Improvement

First-year punter T.J. Conley was also entangled in a summer position battle with Aussie P Chris Bryan. According to Westhoff, Conley fell behind early. He later regrouped and outperformed Bryan, earning him the job. Seven weeks in, the coach sees both positives and negatives.

“Going in, he’s been very positive. He’s a young guy, and it’s brand new," he said. "I thought against Miami he had an excellent game, and then we saw some valleys. But going in, with the pooch kicks, he’s been very good.”

Although Conley ranks 22nd in the NFL with a 37.9-yard net punting average, he is tied for third with 13 punts inside the 20-yard line — and six of those have been inside-the-10 punts. The ability to pin opposing offenses deep in their territory is vital for every team but is arguably even more important for the Jets. The suffocating defense can then take the field in hopes of forcing a turnover and handing the ball back to the offense in or near the red zone.

“That’s where we want to get our defense on the field, inside the 10," Westhoff said. "He’s been good at that. With a lot of guys, it takes time. We’re really working and hoping it progresses, so we’ll

see how it goes.”

Returns to Glory

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of the special teams has been the performance of the kickoff return group. With Joe McKnight in the lead role, the crew is helping the offense start drives after kickoffs at the 27.6-yard line, tops in the NFL.

For 2011, a new rule demands kickers launch the ball from their 35 as opposed to the 30. Many believed it would be the end of dynamic return teams. Touchbacks would skyrocket, touchdowns would plummet, and starting field position would generally be uniform starting around the 20-yard line.

Westhoff would have none of it.

“There’s a secret formula, absolutely there is," he said. "I firmly believe in this particular system. If we can get a handful of the right kind of guys to block, I firmly believe in it. This group, it might be as good a group as I’ve had.

“These guys can block. Our best blocker might be Brodney [Pool]. He’s just been outstanding for me. [Matt] Mulligan has done a real nice job, too. You put this group together and they’ve been very productive.”

With hungry blockers ahead of him, McKnight has averaged 40.0 yards per return, by far the highest number in the league. No. 2 is the 49ers' Ted Ginn at 31.8.

“Joe’s got the talent and he’s got the speed, obviously. He’s running very hard," Westhoff said. "For as well as he’s done, he hasn’t broken a tackle yet. He made a guy miss, but he hasn’t broken a tackle. Say what you want, but these guys can block. Joe’s brand new at this, but he’s done an excellent job.”

Improvements Still to Be Made

Head coach Rex Ryan had high praise for his specialists when he was asked how often he stresses "60 minutes of football" to his team.

"We do a bunch," Ryan said. "I think the big part is we have done it in spurts, but it hasn’t been a consistent thing where the offense has dominated, the defense has dominated and special teams has dominated. The only group that really has done it every game, it seems like, so far on a consistent basis, would be the special teams."

Despite that, Westhoff believes there are still improvements to be made. When he sits down to grade the special teams after a game, he takes a very basic approach but one that truly determines what kind of day the group had.

“We have to react to the circumstances that have been dictated. I want to win that circumstance," he said. "I want to see if we can do everything as a unit, 11 guys, grading positively and winning the circumstances presented. At the end of the day, I want to win every one.”

Archived