Jets News 11-28

flgreen

Steve Johnson's celebration dumb

November, 27, 2011

Nov 27

8:32

PM ET

By James Walker

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- After beating New York Jets Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis, Buffalo Bills receiver Steve Johnson performed the most talked about touchdown celebration of the 2011 NFL season.

Johnson danced and pretended to shoot himself in the leg, mocking Jets receiver Plaxico Burress, who spent 20 months in prison on an illegal weapons charge after accidentally shooting himself at a New York nightclub three years ago. Johnson's celebration was creative, controversial, entertaining and tasteless all wrapped into one moment. It also became a trending topic on Twitter.

It was also dumb.

nfl_u_stevejohnson_es_200.jpg

Anthony Gruppuso-US PRESSWIREBuffalo Bills wide receiver Steve Johnson's mocking of Jets receiver Plaxico Burress might get him a call from the league office.
Johnson was flagged 15 yards for excessive celebration, and the personal foul penalty helped lead to a Jets touchdown, which tied the score at 14 before the end of the first half.

Johnson played well, catching eight passes for 75 yards. But he also dropped a potential winning touchdown pass late in the fourth quarter of Buffalo's 28-24 loss to New York. After the game, Johnson said he regretted his celebration.

"It hurt our team. It was very stupid of me going through that, and I feel like I cost our team by doing that," Johnson said. "It was a bad decision. It's irrelevant whether or not I rehearsed it or not. At the end of the day, it cost our team seven points.

"I have to apologize to everyone and talk to Coach. I can't be doing that. I need to be mature about the situation."

Exactly, Steve.

The Bills needed this game badly, but Johnson appeared more concerned with putting on a premeditated celebration than winning a crucial game.

The young Bills, and particularly Johnson, showed their youth in this game. Johnson is due for a contract extension, but Buffalo must decide if the talented receiver is mature enough to be relied upon as a building block.

Surprisingly, none of Johnson's antics drew the ire of the veteran Jets, who are usually quick to respond to taunts by opponents. New York was happy to win, which kept its playoff hopes alive.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said he was unaware of Johnson's celebration but was pleased the receiver gave them 15 yards. Other players also weren't aware until the media told them after the game.

"I really don't care. That's him," Revis said.

Even Burress, the subject of the celebration, basically shrugged his shoulders.

"I don’t have any reaction to it. I’m a big fan of his,” Burress said. "He's a great, young talent, and I love to watch him play. That doesn't bother me at all."

Burress was pressed on the issue, but didn't bite.

“It doesn’t bother me. I’m just trying to win the football game,” Burress reiterated. “That’s what it’s about, the last man standing."

Notebook: O-Line protects Sanchez

November, 27, 2011

Nov 27

8:49

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Rex Ryan opened his post-game news conference by giving some love to the Jets' offensive line, which has absorbed a few dents this season.

"The protection was tremendous, especially when we had to have it in the second half," Ryan said.

After allowing eight sacks in the previous two games, the Jets' O-line pitched a shutout -- no sacks for the first time this season. Then again, it came against one of the worst pass-rushing teams in the league. They entered the game with only 16 sacks.

The Bills stayed fairly conservative, rushing four or fewer players on 29 of 37 dropbacks. But they did send pressure on the Jets' last two passes, to Plaxico Burress (18 yards) and Santonio Holmes (16-yard TD).

INJURY CONCERN: DT Mike DeVito injured his left knee in the third quarter and didn't return. This is a major concern for the Jets, who can't afford to lose one of their best run stuffers. Marcus Dixon and Ropati Pitoitua got more playing time in DeVito's absence. Rookie DT Kenrick Ellis was a healthy scratch.

TURNOVER BATTLE: That the Jets won with a minus-2 turnover margin was a rarity. Under Ryan, the Jets are 4-12 when they lose the turnover battle, only once when they were minus-2 or worse.

The Jets committed their fifth special-teams turnover on Antonio Cromartie's muffed punt, which led to a Bills TD. It was Cromartie's first punt-returning opportunity this season. Ryan went to Cromartie because rookie Jeremy Kerley (knee) was out and because Jim Leonhard had the wind knocked out of him on the previous defensive play. Another option was Joe McKnight, but he's already muffed one this season.

ODDS AND ENDS: WR Santonio Holmes recorded his sixth game-winning TD in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter/overtime. He now has the most game-winning TD catches since 1983, breaking a tie with former Bengal Carl Pickens ... WR Plaxico Burress leads the team with seven TD catches ... The Jets improved to 5-1 at home ... WR Patrick Turner made his first career start.

Sanchez to Holmes when it counts

November, 27, 2011

Nov 27

8:19

PM ET

By Jane McManus

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Jets WR Santonio Holmes and QB Mark Sanchez, whose connection has been tenuous at times this season, connected when it truly mattered on Sunday. With 1:01 left in the game, Sanchez hit Holmes with a 16 yard pass in the end zone giving the Jets a 28-24 win over the Bills.

“The quarterback got flushed out of the pocket,” Holmes said. “We know what we’re taught in practice is to just keep the play alive until it’s completed, thrown away, whatever. The guy had his back turned to the quarterback and I was watching his every move. (I stayed) relaxed until I knew it was my turn to turn around and do what I’m supposed to do for Mark.”

Jets TE Dustin Keller actually tapped Holmes on the shoulder before the play, told Holmes this one was his.

Sanchez relayed how the the unfolded.

“I felt the right side collapse, and they did a good job of keeping them inside,” Sanchez said. “They collapsed the defense, I want to make sure I phrase that right, and just left a wide open hole to the right. So I started running, I’m ready to throw it away or get a couple of yards and get out of bounds and save some time. (Quarterbacks coach Matt) Cavanaugh just reminds us to remain a passer and keep your eyes up. Tone freed up, gave me his hand and let me know where he was going, and that was it.”

Before that catch, Sanchez and Holmes had been having communications issues, which Holmes admitted after the game. During one attempted pass, Holmes didn’t even glance back at Sanchez as the throw sailed incomplete. ESPN’s Stats & Information said that Sanchez was 1-of-8 with an interception Sunday when targeting Holmes. If you look back to the second half of the loss to the Broncos, Sanchez was 1-of-11 and even worse on third down, where he was 0-for-7.

Even as those incompletions were booed Sunday at MetLife Stadium, Holmes said he never lost confidence in Sanchez — and he thought the quarterback remained steady as well.

“I sense confidence in him throughout the whole game,” Holmes said. “No matter what he goes through, he continues to play until the last second of the game and it showed today again.”

The Jets are now 6-5 and will have to win at least four more, if not five, in order to reach the playoffs.

“First one down, five more to go,” Holmes said.

Keller ends TD drought; Smith returns

November, 27, 2011

Nov 27

7:26

PM ET

By Mike Mazzeo

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- It took nine games, but TE Dustin Keller finally got back in the end zone.

Keller caught four passes for 61 yards and two touchdowns -- his first since Sept. 18 vs. Jacksonville in Week 2 -- in his team’s 28-24 win over Buffalo on Sunday.

“I think we did some good things and there were a couple things I could’ve done better,” Keller said. “There were some balls that were tough catches, but those are things i can come up with so I can make it easier on him. It’s just things we need to go through and get some repetitions in practice. You have to tip your hat to Mark [Sanchez] because he found mismatches.”

Keller capped off a 10-play, 78-yard drive in the second quarter with a three-yard score. He hauled in an 18-yard TD in the third quarter. It was the third multi-touchdown performance of his career and first since Oct. 3 against this same Bills team.

Keller got off to a great start this season, catching 16 passes for 249 yards and two TDs in his first three games. But in his next seven coming into Sunday’s game, he had just 16 receptions for 203 yards and no scores.

Fortunately for the Jets, he picked the perfect time to have another standout performance.

“This was huge,” Keller said. “If we let this game slip, who knows what the situation would’ve been. It’s just a matter of taking it one game at at time. We may have to win out.”

Brad Smith returned to MetLife Stadium -- and he certainly made his presence felt against his former team.

Smith led all Bills receivers with 77 yards and added an acrobatic 36-yard touchdown to boot.

With 2:11 left in the third quarter and Buffalo trailing New York 21-14, Smith had a pass thrown his way down the right sideline with Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie in coverage. The ball deflected up into the air, and Smith alertly came down with it and ran into the end zone.

“I thought I got a piece and tried to knock it down,” Smith said. “I don’t know if he went the other way or if our hands kind of met, but it got tipped up. “I saw it hanging, ‘Cro kind of slipped and I just went and grabbed it.”

Smith was surprised at the warm reception he got from the Jets fans. He clearly wanted to stay with the team, but things just didn’t work out.

“It was unreal. I was just surprised that the fans were so supportive,” Smith said. “They were saying some nice things. I’ve always got love for the people here in New York and the Jets fans. Hats off to them and their team for getting a win.”

Maybin Times Two

November, 27, 2011

Nov 27

7:12

PM ET

By Jane McManus

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Last season, linebacker Aaron Maybin was a draft bust getting no love playing for the Bills. On Sunday, he was a Jets team captain who recorded two sacks in a 28-24 win over his old team.

The magnitude of the turnaround was not lost on him.

At his locker after the game, it seemed like Maybin could hardly believe it himself. He referenced how far he has come this year, with five sacks this season for the Jets after being unable to scrape together any as a Bill. Buffalo drafted Maybin with teh 11th overall pick in the 2009 draft.

His performance, he said, meant more given the context of the season.

“So much more,” Maybin said, “because we’re in the position that we’re in right now trying to fight for our playoff lives. At the end of the day, you want to go out and perform well, but when the team is put in a position where you have some must-win games ahead of you, especially in your division, it feels good to be able to go out there and have a good game in a situation like that.”

Even when he wasn’t able to sack him, Maybin pressured Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick enough to make a difference. The linebacker said the final drive, when a touchdown for the Bills would have won the game.

“For this, we knew that had to be one of those do-or-die moments for us because we’ve been in those situations and not finished before in the season. situations and not finished before (this) in the season. Coming down the home stretch, when you’re looking to make a playoff push and looking to show everyone that this is a team that has shown growth and is continuing to make strides in the right direction, being able to go out there and close on a team in the fourth quarter definitely helps to send that message.”

1969312.jpg?1322457624

HAMILTON: Stevie's now a joke around the NFL

Paul Hamilton

. (WGR 550) -- It really doesn’t matter that for the most part Stevie Johnson had a good game against the Jets. It doesn’t matter that he’s a very nice kid who enjoys life. He challenged the league’s best corner in Darrelle Rivis several times on Sunday and won. He had eight catches for 75 yards and a touchdown, but two plays in this game shows why Johnson and his agent have truly misjudged his talents and character.

Johnson wants to be paid like an elite WR, yet he’s just a shade above average.

Let me take you through Stevie’s day. On the TD, Johnson saw Revis back away from him and he ran a very nice slant to give Ryan Fitzpatrick a good target. Now if you hear me enough you know I am not a fan of celebrations in sports, but I do realize they’re here to stay.

Johnson of course celebrated his 2nd quarter TD by acting like he’s Plaxico Burress and shoots himself in the thigh (see photo). As you know Burress lost a few years of his career because he went to jail for that. After doing that, he put his arms out and soared like a Jet only to crash to the ground. That earned him an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Not only was the kickoff 15 yards further back, but Dave Rayner almost missed the ball and the Jets recovered like it was an onsides kick. Thanks to Johnson’s selfishness, the Jets get the ball inside the 40.

A few plays later, Burress has a touchdown. He let his actions speak for him.

Now if you’re going to talk trash on the field, you have to be able to back it up. Johnson is not capable of doing that on a consistant basis.

Trailing 28-24 with time running out, Johnson beat his man badly and was in full stride on a slant. Fitzpatrick laid the ball in perfectly and just like last year in overtime against the Steelers, Johnson dropped the ball. With as fast as Johnson was running he would’ve had a good chance of scoring on the play or at least getting the ball inside the five. Elite receivers, guys that make $10-million don’t make a habit of dropping balls when they’re wide open that can win games.

I can’t stand Terrell Owens, but I have to say this, all the crap he did and said was backed up in full on the field. The same with Deion Sanders. In my opinion and I know I’m likely in a minority here, what Johnson did in the end zone was classless. It hurt his team, made the Jets mad and made him a joke in the National Football League. Players are laughing at him because he didn’t back it up.

His head coach Chan Gailey said, “He has bad judgment at critical times.” He added, “We can’t dumb games away. It’s a lack of discipline.”

Up until Johnson’s drop Fitzpatrick and kept his end of the bargain. That throw and drop likely would’ve won the game. After that happened, Fitzpatrick went back to his old ways. He had Johnson wide open in the end zone and threw it well behind him. On the game’s final play Johnson seemed to have a step again in the seam right at the goal line and Fitzpatrick over threw him. THREE count them, THREE chances to beat a team that you have trouble with. Three chances to get back into the playoff race and the guy with the new contract and the guy who thinks he should be one of the highest paid receivers in the league weren’t up for it.

This is all I can think of. The rest of the game is a blank to me. Despite allowing an average quarterback throw four touchdown passes against you this game was there to win. They just needed their play makers to do it.

One of them, embarrassed himself so badly, he’s a joke around the league and I feel bad about that. Stevie Johnson is a good kid and it will hurt to be laughed at. He brought it on himself. He apologized after the game. Hopefully he can recover.

NY Jets' Mark Sanchez has been up and down, but comes up big in must-win vs. Buffalo Bills

Sanchez on the Mark Sunday

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Originally Published: Sunday, November 27 2011, 10:58 PM

Updated: Sunday, November 27 2011, 11:44 PM

image.jpg

Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images

Mark Sanchez (r.) is solid in the second half in a win over the Bills, to the delight of Rex Ryan (l.) and Brian Schottenheimer.

There are times when you’re convinced Mark Sanchez is going to be the quarterback the Jets thought he was going to be when they moved up in the draft to pluck him from USC three years ago. And there are times when you wonder if he will ever get it.

And so it was against the Bills at MetLife Stadium on Sunday afternoon as Sanchez had one of the most mystifying career-high, four-touchdown pass performances in a victory an NFL quarterback can have. He had an interception in the first half that led to the Bills taking a 14-7 lead, and then with the Jets’ season teetering on a cliff he threw a 16-yard laser strike to Santonio Holmes with 1:01 to play for the game-winner in a 28-24 victory.

The Jets (6-5) beat the Bills (5-6) in a must-have game, riding a nail-biting defensive stand at the end and a quarterback who continues to walk a fine line between sublime and subpar.

There were boos when he threw that interception deep in Jets territory that led to the Bills going ahead.

“Of course you hear them,” he said. “You hear a lot of stuff.”

And there were cheers when he hit Plaxico Burress on a key third-down play before the Holmes TD pass late in the game.

It is a high-wire act that Sanchez performs without a net. Playing like this over the course of the final five games only guarantees that the Jets go out toes up. And if you’re Mark Sanchez and you’ve been at the helm of the Jets in the AFC Championship ame the last two years, that is unacceptable.

But if Rex Ryan is worried about the up and down nature of his quarterback, he’s not saying.

“The only time I get nervous is when he doesn’t get up,” Ryan said.

There wasn’t much chance of that against these Bills, who had no shot at burying Sanchez under a non-existent pass rush. The Bills were just hoping that he would crumble under an avalanche of self-inflicted mistakes.

Just last week, Ryan pulled out a cheap rookie motivational tactic against Sanchez, benching him during practice and letting backup Mark Brunell take snaps with the first team. That has even worn thin with Sanchez, who, if he hasn’t learned anything about how to cleanly run an offense from start to finish in a game, has learned that he can’t overreact to Ryan’s motivational ploys.

“You have to ask him,” Sanchez replied when asked if last week’s practice benching episode had made him play better on Sunday.

Ryan didn’t miss an opportunity to try to kiss and make up with his quarterback, gushing about his second-half play and even calling him a “stud” and “The Sanchise.”

“When you look at his numbers in the second half - 9-of-15 for 114 yards and two touchdowns and 123.3 quarterback rating that’s big-time,” Ryan said.

Sanchez wasn’t buying it.

You could read the frustration on his face as he talked about the game and his performance in the postgame interview dungeon underneath the stadium.

“I’m thrilled about the win, don’t get me wrong,” Sanchez said. “It’s just that I know we can play better than that. We don’t need to fight it at the end and grind it out and bite our nails at the end of the game. That’s not the way we need to play. We won’t win every game like that is what I’m saying.

Even Sanchez knows that he has been blessed with some remarkable playmakers in Holmes, Burress and tight end Dustin Keller, who caught two touchdown passes. And even he knows that he has a tendency to waste those gifts with ill-advised decisions and poor ball security. He said there were things in the passing game that needed to be “cleaned up.”

We continue to wonder whose fault it is for Sanchez’s uneven play - whether it’s the play-calling by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and Sanchez not having the discretion to get himself out of a bad play or whether it’s Sanchez not having a high enough football IQ yet to make the right decision in certain circumstances.

It might be another season before we know that. For now the Jets are in a fight for their season and it’s falling on Sanchez’s shoulders again.

The good thing for Sanchez is that his teammates haven’t bailed out on him yet. They still have confidence that in a pinch, with the game on the line, he’s going to come through. They still have faith that he will be able to find his playmakers in the clutch the way he did against the Bills on Sunday.

“No matter what he goes through he continues to play until the last second of that game and it showed again today,” Holmes said.

In the Jets’ self-stated five-game playoff-or-bust scenario that is Sanchez’s saving grace for now.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-mark-sanchez-big-must-win-buffalo-bills-article-1.983291#ixzz1f0iBiKGe

Santonio Holmes catches game-winning TD as NY Jets, Mark Sanchez and Plaxico Burress come back on Bills, 28-24

Stevie Johnson drops potential game-winning TD on Bills' final drive

BY Manish Mehta

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Originally Published: Sunday, November 27 2011, 4:18 PM

Updated: Sunday, November 27 2011, 11:02 PM

image.jpg

Robert Sabo/New York Daily News

Plaxico Burress (r.) and Santonio Holmes can laugh off Stevie Johnson’s touchdown celebration as the Jets come back on the Bills for a 28-24 win Sunday.

Who was the hero in the Jets' 28-24 win over Buffalo?

JETS 28, BILLS 24

When the Jets escaped with a wild 28-24 win over the Bills on Sunday to keep their playoff hopes alive, outside linebacker Calvin Pace delivered a healthy dose of reality for a team desperately trying to find its way.

“What if Plax didn’t make that play?” Pace said in a quiet moment in front of his locker. “Then, we’re sitting here looking stupid.”

On a day sprinkled with a classless touchdown celebration, a chorus of boos from an agitated fan base at MetLife Stadium and a bit of resilience from a maligned young quarterback, Plaxico Burress’ acrobatic one-handed catch on the Jets’ game-winning drive stole the show. Burress’ twisting grab on the pivotal third-and-11 help set up Mark Sanchez’s career-high fourth touchdown pass to help the Jets (6-5) snap their two-game losing streak and keep them in the wild card hunt.

“He saved our season,” Pace said. “He made a play. Somebody had to make one.”

The 6-5 Burress’ leaping 18-yard reception highlighted a 12-play, 82-yard drive capped by Sanchez’s 16-yard strike to Santonio Holmes in the end zone with 1:09 left in the game.

“He said, ‘Go-Go-Gadget’ and his arms (went up),” Darrelle Revis said of Burress’ catch. “It was a crazy catch. It was one of the best catches I’ve seen in a while.”

Gang Green’s come-from-behind win had a distinct playoff vibe from start to finish.

“We don’t know how the (playoff) scenarios are going to play out at the very end,” said tight end Dustin Keller, who had four catches for 61 yards and two touchdowns. “But in our minds, we had to have this. Otherwise, we’re out.”

Ten days after Rex Ryan’s defense gave up a 95-yard, game-winning drive to the Broncos, the Jets got a little help from the Bills (5-6), who dropped their fourth in a row, on the frenetic final drive of the game.

Buffalo wide receiver Steve Johnson dropped what would have likely been a 47-yard game-winning touchdown with 35 seconds to go. A wide-open Johnson dropped a perfectly thrown pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick in stride.

“We got away with it,” Pace said. “Sometimes you need a little luck.”

Three plays later, Johnson was open in the end zone, but Fitzpatrick’s pass sailed wide for an incompletion. Two incompletions later, the Jets had survived.

“There’s a lot of stuff that bothered me,” Pace said. “Sometimes you don’t have to make it that hard on yourself. Sometimes, there’s nothing wrong with going out and dominating a team. I just don’t understand why we go out and practice a certain way and we do some things... You go to Buffalo and you dominate, but you come here and it’s an ESPN Classic. It don’t have to be like that. It really don’t.

“Defensively, at best, we were mediocre,” Pace added. “For whatever reason, it seemed like we didn’t have enough fire until it got to the point where it was a dire situation. Why play like that when you don’t have to? Go out and bury a team. Make it easy on yourself like we did in Buffalo the first time (a 27-11 win). I guess I just expect more from us. We won... I’m not mad. I wish it could be a little easier than that.”

Sanchez heard boos after completing 8-of-20 for 66 yards in the first half. He went 9-for-15 for 114 yards and two touchdowns after intermission, including six completions on the game-winning drive.

“He’s at his best in big moments,” said Ryan, whose team rushed for 138 yards (6.0 per carry). “He’s a stud. Sanchise. That’s who he is. It wasn’t the best (first) half. We have complete faith in Mark. He’s done it before.”

Sanchez, who was well-protected by his offensive line, downplayed Ryan’s motivational ploy of giving backup Mark Brunell a few first-team snaps in practice during the week, but his teammates noticed a more serious signal-caller.

“Anybody that’s a real competitor, when there’s a chance somebody’s going in taking some of your reps, that’s going to make you mad,” Keller said. “I think he responded very well. He was just so focused and poised.”

Sanchez made a costly mistake late in the first half with the Jets backed up on their own 5-yard line. He was intercepted by Drayton Florence on an underthrown pass intended for Holmes. Three plays later, Fitzpatrick connected with Johnson for a 5-yard touchdown to give the Bills a 14-7 lead with just over two minutes left before intermission.

Johnson, however, had a critical lapse in judgment when he was flagged for his celebration that mocked Burress by simulating getting shot in the thigh and Holmes’ “Flight Boys” airplane move. After the 15-yard penalty, the Jets caught an even bigger break when Dave Rayner botched a squib attempt on the ensuing kickoff. After the Jets recovered the ball at the Bills’ 36, Sanchez found a wide-open Burress for a 14-yard touchdown that knotted it at 14-14 at halftime.

Keller’s second touchdown late in the third quarter gave the Jets a brief 21-14 lead before the Bills took advantage of Antonio Cromartie’s muffed punt to tie it on Brad Smith’s acrobatic 36-yard touchdown reception, on a pass he tipped to himself. Buffalo retook the lead on Rayner’s 53-yard field goal a little more than five minutes into the fourth quarter. That set the stage for Sanchez, Burress and Holmes with 5:44 to go.

“It’s almost like right now we’re playing playoff games early,” left guard Matt Slauson said. “As soon as the game was over, I was like, ‘Ohhh... thank you.'"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/santonio-holmes-catches-game-winning-td-ny-jets-mark-sanchez-plaxico-burress-back-bills-28-24-article-1.983144#ixzz1f0iuzFFr

Bills’ Stevie Johnson celebrates touchdown against NY Jets by acting like he was shot in leg

Wide receiver also pokes fun at Santonio Holmes

BY Stefan Bondy

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Originally Published: Sunday, November 27 2011, 3:19 PM

Updated: Sunday, November 27 2011, 10:10 PM

image.jpg

Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News

Plaxico Burress isn’t the only Jet to be targeted by Stevie Johnson, who also mimics Santonio Holmes and is hit with a 15-yard excessive celebration penalty.

image.jpg

After catching a 5-yard touchdown in the second quarter, Johnson has a little fun at Burress’ expense, acting as if he’s shot himself in the leg.

Stevie Johnson doesn’t care if he hurt Plaxico Burress’ feelings, or if his over-the-top touchdown celebration draws a fine from the NFL.

But the Bills’ wide receiver was certainly regretful in front of his locker after taking center stage in his team’s 28-24 loss Sunday to the Jets. Not only did mocking Burress’ self-inflicted gunshot result in a 15-yard penalty and contribute to a Jets touchdown, Johnson’s dropped pass on the final drive saved Gang Green from a second straight late-game meltdown.

Johnson said he’d apologize to his team for his discretions. Not to Burress for “just having fun.”

“I felt like it was a mistake for our team, that’s it,” Johnson said. “Anything else, it doesn’t matter to me. I’m only worried about the Buffalo Bills and my teammates. I’m not really worried about what’s going on over there. (My penalty) led to a touchdown to the Jets and it hurt us.

“I put that on me.”

Johnson wouldn’t say if he rehearsed his 15-second performance, but it certainly had the moves and flair of a choreographed dance. After catching a 5-yard TD from Ryan Fitzpatrick, Johnson danced with his fingers pointed out like a pistol, and grabbed his leg as if he’d been shot - a move falling below the belt of Burress, who accidentally shot himself in the thigh at a Manhattan night club three years ago and spent two years in prison as a result.

Johnson’s antics didn’t stop there. After “recovering” from the thigh pain, Johnson extended his arms and went into the familiar Jets “Flight Boys” celebration - a favorite of Santonio Holmes.

Johnson then fell to the ground as if the jet had crashed. “It was very stupid of me going through that and I feel like I cost our team in a big way,” said Johnson, referencing the 15-yard taunting penalty. Buffalo’s Dave Raynor muffed the kickoff and the Jets started on the Bills’ 36-yard-line. Four plays later, Burress scored on a 14-yard catch to tie it at 14.

“It’s irrelevant whether or not I rehearsed it,” Johnson said. “At the end of the day, it cost our team seven points. I have to apologize to everyone and talk to Coach. I can’t be doing that. I need to be mature about the situation.”

While most of his teammates claimed they didn’t see the celebration, Bills linebacker Shawne Merriman, on injured reserve and not in the stadium, seemed to find the humor on television.

“Never tweet during the game but what @StevieJohnson13 did was disrespectful & not needed & should never happen in the #NFL so ill pay half the fine HA!," Merriman tweeted. “People need a sense of humor other than us being behind right now that celebration was funny #GoBills.”

Bills receiver Brad Smith - formerly a member of the Flight Boys - admitted it might have been in poor taste to mock somebody shooting himself.

“We always have to treat each other with respect,” Smith said. “And everybody makes a mistake and everybody deserves, everybody gets a second chance.”

Jets guard Matt Slauson didn’t take issue with Johnson’s celebration, and he recognized the poetic justice in a game that would later turn on an acrobatic catch from Burress and a dropped pass from Johnson that might have been the game-winning touchdown.

“There are instances where everybody does something dumb. I’ve done it - not necessarily in a game - but I’ve done dumb stuff,” Slauson said. “We weren’t upset about it or anything. We’re just like ‘whatever.’

“It didn’t work out for them, did it?”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/bills-stevie-johnson-celebrates-touchdown-ny-jets-acting-shot-leg-article-1.983130#ixzz1f0jTTCVb

Jets notebook: Offensive line pumped up by Rex Ryan challenge

Published: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 11:23 PM Updated: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 11:37 PM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

10299420-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerShonn Greene ran for 78 yards on 13 carries in Sunday's 28-24 win over Buffalo.

In Rex Ryan’s bag of motivational tricks is calling out a player or position group the night before a game. Saturday night, the Jets coach selected the offensive line.

“He did call us out, which he does about once a year, and I think he might have to do it every week,” left guard Matt Slauson said. “Because since he’s been here and he’s challenged our line, we’ve come out the next day, and we win and we play great, so I’m hoping he does that every week.”

Ryan issued a similar challenge on the eve of last year’s Week 15 Steelers game, when the Jets were also coming off back-to-back losses. They rallied for a win that keyed their 2010 playoffs berth.

Ryan’s plea yielded similar results Sunday, as the offensive line was an area of strength in the Jets’ 28-24 win against Buffalo that kept their postseason chances alive.

Sanchez was sacked eight times over the Jets’ past two games, both losses, but was not sacked against the Bills and was hit only once. He also had ample time in the pocket, throwing four touchdowns for the first time in his career.

“We really have to credit our offensive line,” Ryan said. “The protection was tremendous, especially when we had to have it in the second half.”

The Jets were also very productive on the ground, recording 138 rushing yards. Running back Shonn Greene picked up 78 yards on 13 carries, an impressive average of 6 yards per carry.

Rex called out his line once before this season, in a team meeting the Wednesday before the Jaguars game.

“He always says, ‘Look, you guys are my pride and joy of this team, you guys are the unit I never have to worry about. But you guys need to step it up and be that dominant force,’ ” Slauson said.

Slauson said he and his teammates were fired up afterward. Right tackle Wayne Hunter turned to Slauson and said, “Let’s go play right now.”

• OLB Aaron Maybin recorded two sacks against the Bills team that released him in August.

Maybin, a former first-round pick by Buffalo, did not record any sacks in two seasons there but now has five since joining the Jets. Did it send a message to his ex-team?

“I don’t know, ask them. We’ll see.” Maybin said. “God is awesome, man. The position I was in a year ago, the things that people were saying, how far He brought me and how far I’ve come, it just feels good to be in this locker room with these guys enjoying this win.”

• DL Mike DeVito left in the third quarter with a knee injury and did not return. He is expected to have tests on the knee. He missed two games earlier this season after suffering a knee injury in practice.

• CB Antonio Cromartie muffed a punt return in the third quarter. He was the returner on that play instead of S Jim Leonhard because Leonhard got the wind knocked out of him on the previous defensive play.

• RG Brandon Moore played his 123rd game, tying Roger Duffy for ninth place on the Jets’ list for games played by an offensive lineman.

• RB LaDainian Tomlinson (knee) and WR/PR Jeremy Kerley (knee) were both inactive for the Jets for the second straight week. Rookie Bilal Powell did not get any carries as the No. 3 back. QB Kevin O’Connell, DT Martin Tevaseu, NT Kenrick Ellis, DB Ellis Lankster and T Austin Howard were also inactive.

Jets escape with 28-24 victory over Buffalo Bills

Published: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 10:56 PM Updated: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 11:19 PM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

10299385-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerSantonio Holmes catches the game-winning touchdown in Sunday's 28-24 victory over Buffalo at Met Life Stadium.

Five minutes and 44 seconds remained on the clock, in the Jets’ 11th game of the year, and their season seemed on the line.

Maybe their playoff prospects wouldn’t have been erased with a loss to the Bills at MetLife Stadium Sunday. But the Jets couldn’t afford to find out.

Their objective is to win the final six games of the season. In this moment, they needed to win the first of those six, and they needed to drive 82 yards to do it. Could this troubled offense make it?

Twelve plays later, receiver Santonio Holmes was alone in the corner of the end zone, dragging his left foot along the green Jets turf, the 16-yard winning touchdown in his grasp. And yet this 28-24 win over the Bills didn’t spur the same brand of gloating as the victory over Buffalo three weeks ago.

“I’m thrilled about the win. Don’t get me wrong,” said quarterback Mark Sanchez, who threw a career-high four touchdowns. “It’s just that I know we can play better than that. We don’t need to fight it at the end and grind it out and bite our nails at the end of the game. … We won’t win every game like that, is what I’m saying.”

The Jets feel like they do need to win every game in order to make the postseason. Sunday’s was an important first step: They earned back a winning record, 6-5, and swept another would-be AFC wild-card contender.

Their division foe was embarrassed Sunday, and not just because Buffalo has lost four straight. Bills receiver Stevie Johnson, after scoring a first-half touchdown against Darrelle Revis, mocked Plaxico Burress’ self-shooting incident that drew a 20-month prison sentence. He then mimicked Holmes’ patented “Flight Boys” airplane celebration — and crashed to the turf, drawing a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that helped set up a Jets touchdown pass to Burress following a failed squib kickoff.

But why did the Jets need an 82-yard fourth-quarter drive to take back the lead? And why did they let the Bills use the game’s final 1:01 to drive into scoring range, losing only after three straight incompletions to the end zone? Bluntly, outside linebacker Calvin Pace said he expects more from this team.

“You go to Buffalo, and you dominate, but you come here and it’s a … ESPN classic,” Pace said. “It doesn’t have to be like that. It really doesn’t. That’s how you lose ball games.”

Then, Pace added: “What if Plax didn’t make that play? Then we’re sitting here looking stupid. But again, we won, and that’s all that matters.”

The play Pace referenced was the one he also called season-saving: Burress’ 18-yard one-handed sideline grab on the game-winning drive. The situation was third-and-11 from Buffalo’s 36-yard line, with the Jets trailing, 24-21. If Sanchez doesn’t make the throw, and Burress doesn’t make the unbelievable catch, the Jets are left attempting a 50-yard-plus field goal for the tie.

But facing a blitz, Sanchez looked to the comeback route, and Burress extended what Revis called his “go-go gadget arm.” Two plays later, Sanchez was scrambling right, motioning to Holmes to move right in the end zone. Tight end Dustin Keller, who had two touchdown catches of his own in the game, tapped Holmes on the shoulder at the beginning of the drive, and told him it was “Tone time.” He was right.

“The (cornerback) had his back turned toward the quarterback, and I was watching his every move,” Holmes said. “When he relaxed, that’s when I knew it was my turn to turn around and be where I was supposed to be for Mark.”

The Bills had one more chance, and Revis said the Jets defense had one thought: Don’t let the Bills do what the Broncos did last week, drive on them for the winning score. Coach Rex Ryan exultantly announced afterward that, this week, his prized defense finished.

Maybe karmically, Johnson dropped an easy grab at about the 20-yard line, which would have gotten the Bills very close to a winning score. Johnson was targeted on two of the final three incompletions, too, as the Jets held their zone coverage in the final seconds.

This week, the Jets’ miscues didn’t catch up to them: Sanchez’s interception deep in Jets territory, which led to a Buffalo touchdown; Antonio Cromartie’s muffed punt return, which set up the Bills’ tying touchdown in the third quarter. A 53-yard field goal in the fourth quarter had the Bills up by 3, and the Jets playing like this was one-and-done.

“We’re playing playoff games early,” left guard Matt Slauson said. “Definitely as soon as the game was over, I was like, ‘Oh, thank (goodness).’ ”

They exhaled, but not for long.

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Bills WR Stevie Johnson takes apparent jab at Plaxico Burress' shooting incident with TD celebration

Published: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 2:31 PM Updated: Monday, November 28, 2011, 12:58 AM

8487074.png By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

10298527-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerStevie Johnson holds his leg after imitating what appears to be a self-shooting.

After a second-quarter go-ahead touchdown, Bills wideout Stevie Johnson took jabs at both Jets wide receivers, but the one that looks to be directed at Plaxico Burress is garnering all the attention.

Following the score, Johnson gets up and begins to dance before molding his hand into what looks like a handgun. He then mimics shooting himself in the thigh, an obvious reference to Burress back in 2008 during a nightclub incident, which cost him two years in jail.

Johnson followed that up by doing Santonio Holmes' patented "Flight Boys" celebration, running around with his arms stretched out in both directions. He proceeded to tumble on the ground, mimicking a plane crash, around the time that he was flagged for a 15-yard excessive celebration penalty.

Here's a copy of the video here. See what you think...

After the game, Johnson was largely apologetic. Beyond the 15-yard penalty that ended up costing the Bills a crucial touchdown, he referenced some immaturity. He would not say whether the celebration was pre-planned.

"It was very stupid of me going through that and I feel like I cost our team the win by doing that," he said. "It was a bad decision. It's irrelevant whether or not I rehearsed (the celebration) or not. At the end of the day, it cost our team seven points. I have to apologize to everyone and talk to coach. I can't be doing that. I need to be mature about the situation."

After the game, Bills head coach Chan Gailey said he needed to help Johnson with his decision making. He said he did not see the actual celebration, but that "somebody said he laid on the field.

You can't lay down on the field. I don't know what happened. I just went and talked to him and said 'You can't do that stuff. It costs the team. It's wild.'"

"We're all human," Johnson said. "If we aren't learning, what's the point of living? I'm always willing to learn something from coach, whether it be decision-making, blocking, how to run a hitch route. I'm always willing to learn something. I'm going to have my ear to him all the time, he's my coach. I'm all for it, I'm not going to take that in a negative way."

Johnson ended up dropping a wide-open slant pass on the Bills' final drive with plenty of space to run ahead of him.

"My reaction was slow," Johnson said of the catch. "It was there, I just didn't react fast enough. I think it could have been a touchdown. It's tough. We battled. All the guys fought hard. The defense and offense played like dogs and I didn't make my play again. We drew it up in the huddle, it was there. I just didn't make the play -- my reaction was off."

NY Jets' tight end Dustin Keller leaps to defense of Mark Sanchez after win over Bills

TE says pass catchers needed to do better job - and they did

BY Kristie Ackert

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, November 28 2011, 12:18 AM

image.jpg

Evan Pinkus/AP

Dustin Keller catches two touchdowns against the Bills on Sunday.

Dustin Keller provided plenty of offense Sunday, catching two touchdown passes in the Jets’ 28-24 win.

But afterward, he started playing defense on behalf of his quarterback Mark Sanchez, who started slowly but finished with four touchdown passes.

“I think it wasn’t so much Mark that came out slow, we as receivers could have done a better job and made it easier on him,” said Keller. “I think he’s playing really well. We could run routes a little better and come up with those catches and help him out a little more.”

On Sunday, the receivers did enough to win. Sanchez connected on 17 passes for 180 yards and four touchdowns. He threw the game-winner 16 yards to Santonio Holmes and also found Plaxico Burress for a 14-yard touchdown pass. Sanchez connected with Keller in the end zone on touchdown passes of three and 18 yards.

“This was huge. If we let this game slip, who knows what the situation would have been,” Keller said. “It’s just a matter of taking one game at a time. We may have to win out.”

Keller’s four catches for a team-high 61 yards helped keep the Jets’ playoff hopes alive. While the Jets had struggled, losing two games last week that put them in a perilous spot, Sanchez took many hits off the field for his inconsistent play.

The win gave the Jets a chance to breathe and gave Keller a soapbox from which he defended his quarterback. It was the first time that Sanchez had found him in the end zone since Sept. 18 against Jacksonville. It was the first time he had caught two touchdown passes from Sanchez since Oct. 3, 2010 against Buffalo. It was just the third multiple-touchdown game of Keller’s career.

The tight end has caught 40 passes for 574 yards and four touchdowns this season. He is well on his way to surpassing last season’s career-high 55 receptions for 634 yards and five TDs.

Sunday was just an inkling of what Keller thinks he can do in the offense with Sanchez.

“I think we did some good things and there were a couple of things I could have done better,” Keller said. “There were some balls that were tough catches, but those are things I can come up with, so I can make it easier on him.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-tight-dustin-keller-leaps-defense-mark-sanchez-win-bills-article-1.983343#ixzz1f0nF91q4

NY Jets' Darrelle Revis and 'Revis Island' can't scare Buffalo Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, WR Stevie Johnson

Gang Green star corner gets a lot of work

BY Stefan Bondy & Kristie Ackert

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, November 28 2011, 12:11 AM

image.jpg

Bill Kostroun/AP

Darrelle Revis has a rare long day against the Buffalo Bills.

Darrelle Revis was not used to seeing so much action. Unlike most quarterbacks around the NFL, Buffalo’s Ryan Fitzpatrick did not shy away from throwing at the Jets’ cornerback, who was covering Bills receiver Stevie Johnson for most of Sunday’s game.

“He’s a great corner and a really good player,” Fitzpatrick said. “I felt like coming out of the last game, I didn’t throw it to Stevie as much as I should have. I let Stevie know when it’s one-on-one, ‘I’m throwing it to you every time.’ Stevie did a good job all day with his routes and catches and they started double teaming a little bit and giving him some help.”

Revis said he did not mind that Fitzpatrick threw some excitement his way. Johnson was targeted 13 times and had eight receptions for 75 yards. He caught a 5-yard touchdown pass with Revis covering him.

Stevie Johnson had a good game, caught a bunch of balls,” Revis said. “You gotta tip your hat to him and Fitzpatrick for connecting through out the game.”

While Revis was begrudgingly complimentary to Johnson, Jets coach Rex Ryan was not.

“I don’t necessarily know that he got the best of Revis. Revis gave up a touchdown,” Ryan said. “It’s the first time that’s happened all season. He’s human. He’s still way better than any corner in football - head and shoulders better.

“I’m not going to say that the kid got the best of (Revis). He had 75 yards receiving. I don’t want to say anything that we did or whatever, but I’ll give the young man credit. He made some great catches. I think the guy is a great talent, but he never got the better of Revis.”

REVENGE FEELS GOOD

It still stings Jets DE Aaron Maybin that he was called a “bust” in Buffalo. So his two sacks on Fitzpatrick and the win over his former team felt sweet to the Bills’ 2009 first-round draft pick.

“Obviously it feels good that we got a win, period. Obviously with all the personal attachment I had with this game it felt good,” Maybin said.

After being considered a disappointment in two seasons with the Bills, Maybin was waived. Since being picked up in August, Maybin leads the Jets with five sacks.

When asked if the sacks were a message to the Bills, Maybin smiled and just thanked God he was a Jet.

“The position I was in a year ago, things people were saying, how (God) brought me, how far I’ve come, it feels real good to be in this locker room enjoying this,” Maybin said.

SACK TIME FOR FITZPATRICK

The Jets defense sacked Fitzpatrick three times against an offensive line that had allowed a league-low 12 sacks.

The only other time Fitzpatrick had been sacked three times in a game was in his other trip to the MetLife Stadium when the Giants got him for that number..

WILD CATCH

For years, Jets fans cheered Brad Smith’s trick plays, but Sunday they were stunned. Now the Bills WR, Smith pulled down an amazing 36-yard touchdown pass, as he went up with Antonio Cromartie, tapped the ball up over the Jets CB and caught it in the end zone.

“Cromartie was in great position,” Smith said. “I tried to use a double move on him and he stayed back. Fitzpatrick put it up and I was actually reaching to knock it down. Some how, the ball was tipped up and I just saw it floating.”

INJURED

DE Mike DeVito left the game with a knee injury. He already missed two games this season after injuring his knee in a practice before the Oct. 23 game against the Chargers.

Ryan said he did not have any information about the severity of DeVito’s injury.

STAT OF THE DAY

5: After winning Sunday, five is now the number of games Calvin Pace said the Jets have to win in a row to make the playoffs.

UNSUNG HERO

Joe McKnight. Rushed four times for 21 yards, caught three passes for 19 yards and returned four kickoffs for 106 yards.

MIA

Darrelle Revis. Bills receiver Stevie Johnson caught eight passes for 75 yards and a TD while lining up mostly against Revis.

NEXT GAME

At Washington Redskins, Sunday, 1 p.m., Ch. 2

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-darrelle-revis-revis-island-t-scare-buffalo-bills-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-wr-stevie-johnson-article-1.983341#ixzz1f0oojHMK

On Jets' game-winning march, Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes have perfect answer for antics of Bills wide receiver Stevie Johnson

Super Bowl champs get last laugh and keep Jets alive in playoff chase

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Sunday, November 27 2011, 11:54 PM

image.jpg

Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images

Jets' offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer (c.) likes what he sees from Plaxico Burress (l.) and Santonio Holmes when game is on line.

image.jpg

After catching a 5-yard touchdown in the second quarter, Stevie Johnson has a little fun at Plaxico Burress’ expense, acting as if he’s shot himself in the leg.

Buffalo wide receiver Stevie Johnson had just beaten Darrelle Revis for a go-ahead TD late in the first half.

That was bad enough, but then Johnson mocked Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes in one, convoluted TD celebration. It was another humiliating moment for the Jets in a season that appeared ready to crumble.

But, on a drive that kept the Jets relevant in the wild-card chase and answered Johnson’s theatrics, Burress made a spectacular third-down catch and Holmes caught the winning touchdown with 1:01 left.

It was a fitting response from two Super Bowl heroes to an attempt to embarrass them by Johnson, who last year blamed God for a dropped catch. Following the touchdown, Johnson started to dance as if he were in a nightclub, perhaps the Latin Quarter in midtown on Thanksgiving weekend. Then with his right hand he pretended to shoot himself in the left leg. He quickly grabbed his left thigh with both hands, clearly mocking Burress, although he was off on one detail. Three years ago on Thanksgiving weekend at the Latin Quarter, Burress accidentally shot himself in the right thigh, which eventually landed him in prison for nearly two years.

Then Johnson took on Holmes, the originator of the “Flight Boys” routine when the Jets run around with their arms outstretched after scoring touchdowns.

Johnson spread his arms wide and fell to the ground. The Jets crashing?

Johnson mocked Burress on his home field. You would expect that of fans on the road, but not such insensitivity from players who are part of a fraternity. “I’ve seen worse and I’ve heard worse,” Burress said after the Jets’ 28-24 victory. “I’ve already been through the ringer with that whole situation. I’ve dealt with it accordingly. I’ve put those things behind me.”

Holmes called what Johnson did “selfish” and “childish.” Burress actually said he was a big fan of Johnson. Any sting he might have been feeling when he heard about Johnson’s diss was pushed to the side by his leaping, twisting one-hand catch along the left sideline that set up the Jets’ winning touchdown that has saved the season for now.

Johnson’s insult didn’t register with Burress. “It doesn’t bother me at all,” he said. “The result I’m looking at is we won the football game and he turned around and dropped three wide-open balls to lose the game for his team. If I was a player, that’s how I would evaluate myself. He can keep doing his thing and I can keep doing mine.”

The Jets broke their two-game losing streak with an ugly victory over a bad team and had to survive Johnson first dropping a slant over the middle on a perfect pass that he might have turned into a 47-yard touchdown with less than 30 seconds left. Then, on the next play, he was wide open in the end zone but was unable to adjust as Ryan Fitzpatrick’s pass sailed behind him.

The Jets struggled to beat the Bills, who have now lost four straight, and it was Burress and Holmes who got payback on Johnson - even though they claimed they didn’t know until after the game the details of Johnson’s celebration, which drew a 15-yard penalty and put the Jets in position to get even at the half. Johnson’s only remorse was the penalty, which he felt cost the Bills the game, and he said he was just “having fun” with his routine.

Buffalo led 24-21 when the Jets took over on their own 18 with 5:44 left. The pressure was on Mark Sanchez, booed off the field when he threw a bad interception from his end zone that led to Johnson’s touchdown.

“This drive right here defines our offense, defines our team,” Burress said in the huddle.

Sanchez converted a third-and-8 from the Buffalo 47 with a 12-yard pass to Patrick Turner with 2:13 left. But at the two-minute warning, the Jets were faced with their biggest play of the season: Third-and-11 from the Buffalo 36. If they didn’t pick up a first down, Rex Ryan was prepared to let Nick Folk attempt a field goal to send the game into overtime that could have been as long as 54 yards if they didn’t pick up anything on third down.

During the two-minute break, Sanchez huddled with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and backup quarterback Mark Brunell. At the line, Sanchez read blitz, signaled to Burress and lofted a ball down the left sideline that Burress went up and grabbed with his right hand.

“Let’s play basketball. I’ve had a few of those in my career,” Burress said. “It wasn’t in the script. How difficult was it? It just felt like a regular catch to me. The goal is to haul them all in. I’m just trying to find a way to get to it.”

The Jets feared the play getting reversed by instant replay, so Sanchez went to the no-huddle and ran up the middle for two yards to the 16. He scrambled right on the next play, directed Holmes to the right corner of the end zone and threw a bullet for the go-ahead points.

Then the Jets had to sweat out Johnson’s drop and Fitzpatrick firing into the end zone three times from the Jets 24.

Burress and Holmes made the biggest catches of the game and Johnson dropped the biggest ball of the game. “I’m not laughing,” Burress said.

It was enough that he saved the season.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-game-winning-march-plaxico-burress-santonio-holmes-perfect-answer-antics-bills-wide-receiver-stevie-johnson-article-1.983313#ixzz1f0pJyHaJ

Mark Sanchez's four TD passes lead Jets to victory over Buffalo

Published: Monday, November 28, 2011, 12:11 AM Updated: Monday, November 28, 2011, 9:47 AM

Follow

Email Print

10298686-large.jpg

Enlarge William Perlman/The Star-Ledger New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes (10) makes the winning touchdown catch in the 28-24 win at the New York Jets vs Buffalo Bills at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ 11/27/11 (William Perlman/The Star-Ledger) New York Jets win 28-24 against the Buffalo Bills 11-27-11 gallery (49 photos)

Star-Ledger beat writers discuss New York Jets 28-24 win over Buffalo Bills Star-Ledger sportswriters Steve Politi, Jenny Vrentas and Conor Orr talk about the Jets comeback win over the Buffalo Bills at MetLife Stadium including Plaxico Burress reaction to Bills' star wide receiver Stevie Johnson's over-the-top touchdown celebration that mimicked Burress shooting himself in the leg.

On the Jets’ winning touchdown Sunday, quarterback Mark Sanchez was confronted with a gauntlet representing nearly all the situations that caused him to struggle this season.

He was pressured from the blind side and flushed out of the pocket, where he would often take a big hit.

Then the Bills’ coverage eliminated almost all of his primary reads, presenting a look where he has been prone to throw errant passes into heavy traffic.

But this time, things were different. Sanchez cleared the tackle box and caught the attention of Santonio Holmes, who was breaking off his route.

Sanchez motioned the receiver to the right, pump-faked, and fired a pass that landed in Holmes’ arms just a step inside the end zone.

“I felt good,” Sanchez said about heading into the last drive, which secured a 28-24 triumph over Buffalo. “We’ve been in that situation before, we rep it all the time in practice. The game is on the line, we have to win and we made plays to do it.”

Just a few days after Jets coach Rex Ryan publicly needled him, allowing 41-year-old backup Mark Brunell to take some of Sanchez’s first-string snaps in practice, the young quarterback responded with a career-high four touchdown passes. For once, the lone interception seemed less costly.

The win over Buffalo was defined by something Sanchez was able to do, not something he couldn’t.

“That’s who he is,” Ryan said. “He’s a stud. Sanchise. The first half wasn’t the best half, but we know if we just hung in there — we have complete faith in Mark. He’s done it before.”

Yeah, he doesn’t lose confidence,” added tight end Dustin Keller, who hauled in two of the four touchdown passes.

There were times when it looked to be another performance that would place the third-year quarterback into the cross hairs.

Fans jeered after a third-down play in the second quarter ended with Sanchez throwing incomplete to Holmes, who was not looking and appeared to be running a completely different route.

He would say later that Holmes adjusted his route when it wasn’t expected.

“Of course you hear them,” Sanchez said of the loud boos. “You hear a lot of stuff.”

At halftime, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer reminded Sanchez to keep his head and sharpen himself, especially on third-down plays. He responded by going 9-of-15 in the second half for 114 yards and two touchdowns.

As for sitting behind Brunell for a few plays in practice, Sanchez wouldn’t say whether it worked. He took solace in the fact that it wasn’t an issue anymore.

“This is a lot bigger than that,” Sanchez said. “That’s a motivational tool that Rex used, and we take it all in stride. But this game and this season are a lot bigger than that.”

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com

Jets' cornerbacks shrug off tough day at the office

Published: Monday, November 28, 2011, 12:30 AM Updated: Monday, November 28, 2011, 9:46 AM

Follow

Email Print

10299546-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerAntonio Cromartie breaks up this fourth quarter pass to Brad Davis, but Davis caught one against Cromartie earlier in the quarter.

After Antonio Cromartie felt Bills receiver Brad Smith punch the ball out of his hands — popping it up in the air so he could steal it and sprint across the goal line for a tying touchdown in the third quarter Sunday, the mercurial Jets cornerback had an uncharacteristic reaction.

“I was laughing to tell you the truth,” Cromartie said. “I had to laugh that off. I was like, how in the hell did he catch that? I thought, ‘Only Brad, and only (Tim) Tebow (could do something like that).’ ”

It was only eight seconds after Cromartie muffed a punt return and handed possession right back to the Bills inside the 40-yard line. It was just five minutes before he’d whiff on an open-field tackle during a crucial third down.

But in a 28-24 last-gasp win over Buffalo in front of 79,088, Sunday, laughing off mistakes was probably the best medicine on a difficult day for both of the Jets’ premiere cornerbacks.

Darrelle Revis, too, was a culprit. Isolated in no-help, zero coverage, Revis allowed Stevie Johnson to come away with eight catches for 75 yards and a touchdown.

It all bundled into a Jets defense that Calvin Pace said did themselves no favors. One that, if the 6-5 team plans to win out and make the playoffs, cannot perform like that again.

“You’ve got to live with the good and the bad. Was it my best performance? No. Personally? No,” Revis said. “I’m a hard worker, I know what I want to portray, and that’s it. In all these receiver and DB matchups I’ve had, people have scored touchdowns on me, people have caught balls. It’s nothing to me, just get back to what I do and keep on working hard.”

Heading into the game, Fitzpatrick promised Johnson that he would throw his way every time he was in a one-on-one matchup with Revis based on the way Johnson got separation in their previous matchup.

For the Jets, the game plan called for more zero coverage looks, which thrive on the amount of pressure that can be put on the quarterback.

And for a while, it just didn’t work out for the Jets. Not enough pressure allowed Fitzpatrick more time to throw routes that are already intermediate, amounting to a simple pitch and catch.

“When you run 20 slants, you’re going to catch a couple balls, that’s just what the situation is, you run 20 slants,” Revis said. “It’s a quick throw and catch, and it’s not really your typical, regular slant.”

Jets coach Rex Ryan backed his star cornerback, saying that Johnson never got the better of Revis. Cromartie defended himself by saying that the muffed punt was the product of getting too far underneath the ball, and that Smith’s touchdown was an incredible play.

And for one Sunday, it ended up not costing them. A stream of plays they can laugh off before next week.

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com

Politi: Plaxico Burress gets the last laugh over Bills' Stevie Johnson

Published: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 11:56 PM Updated: Monday, November 28, 2011, 9:54 AM

2535.png By Steve Politi/Star-Ledger Columnist

Follow

Email Print

10298950-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerBills receiver Stevie Johnson is on his knees as Jets players celebrate the final incomplete pass that ended the Jets' 28-24 victory over Buffalo.

Here's a suggestion for Bills receiver/bad vaudeville act Stevie Johnson: Next time he wants to mimic Plaxico Burress, perhaps he should try to duplicate his catch that saved the Jets season.

He should see if he can change directions in midair, then reach behind his body with his right arm to grab a pass headed for the third row at MetLife Stadium as he falls to the ground.

Now that would be something worth imitating, unlike Johnson's silly gun show. The catch was, on a degree of difficulty scale, a solid 9.5 -- or roughly 6 or 7 spots higher than the pass a wide-open Johnson dropped a few minutes later that might have rescued his team.

And what did Stone Hands Stevie think of it?

"He's been in Super Bowls and made catches like that,'' Johnson said. "It doesn't surprise me. What was the point of that question?''

The point, knucklehead, is this: Rarely has karma had a better day than it did in the Jets' 28-24 victory over the Bills. A Jets team so often ridiculed for having too many selfish players in its locker room was bailed out by one Sunday -- and in humiliating fashion for Johnson.

By now, you've seen the highlight: Johnson celebrated his second-quarter touchdown reception by pretending to pull out a couple guns from an imaginary holster (or, in this case, sweatpants) and shoot himself in the hip, just like Burress did that night at the Latin Quarter.

It was cheap and rehearsed, and for the Bills, it came with severe consequences: The 15-yard excessive celebration penalty and a flubbed kickoff set the Jets up at the Bills 36, allowing quarterback Mark Sanchez to find -- hello, karma! -- Burress for the game-tying touchdown. And that was only Burress' second most important catch of the day.

Say what you want about what Burress did that night in 2008, but he's certainly paid a hefty price, and the only controversy he's caused in his comeback season was his decision to miss practice last week to give out turkeys at a charity function. For another receiver to mock him?

"It's stupid. It's embarrassing. It's not something you do,'' Jets tight end Dustin Keller said. "That was the roughest time he's ever been through and you're going to mock that? I'm embarrassed for him.''

Maybe the Jets will be thanking Johnson in a few weeks. Maybe this will be the moment that sparks this team, which still looked lethargic against the fading and injury-riddled Bills. Rex Ryan has tried to invent slights to motivate his team. Now he has a real one.

At the very least, Johnson certainly helped hand the Jets this one. He was having the type of game receivers rarely have against cornerback Darrelle Revis, with eight catches for 75 yards and that touchdown. But it should have been much more.

He was wide open down the middle of the field with 35 seconds left when a pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick hit him in the hands and bounced to the ground. It was reminiscent of Johnson's overtime touchdown drop in a game against Pittsburgh last year.

He blamed God for that one on Twitter. At least he had the good sense to blame himself this time.

"My reaction was slow,'' Johnson said. "It's tough. Our defense played like dogs. Our offense played like dogs. And I didn't make a play again.''

So instead of Johnson ending the Jets season, it was Burress who rescued it. His biggest catch as a Jet came on a third and 11 with two minutes left. The Jets were at the Bills 36-yard line, and if the 6-foot-5 Burress can't find Mark Sanchez' overthrown pass, they are looking at a 54-yard field goal just to tie.

Instead of facing overtime -- or another crushing loss -- Burress gained 18 yards and, two plays later, Sanchez managed to salvage another shaky day with a 16-yard touchdown pass to Holmes.

"He saved our season, man,'' linebacker Calvin Pace said of Burress. "He made a play. Somebody had to make one. Hell of a play.''

Burress wasn't as impressed with what he did. He called it a "regular catch.'' And while his teammates were quick to defend him, he took the high road when asked repeatedly about Johnson's little impersonation.

"It doesn't bother me,'' he said. "I've already been through the ringer with that whole situation. …The result I'm looking at is, we won the football game, and he turned around and dropped three wide open balls to lose the football game for his team.''

Okay, so Burress did allow himself that little dig. Johnson gave a half-hearted apology, but he'll forever be proof that you don't have to actually shoot yourself in the leg to shoot your team in the foot.

Steve Politi: spoliti@starledger.com; Twitter: @StevePoliti.

Calvin Pace not satisfied with defense's effort

Sunday, November 27, 2011

BY ANDY VASQUEZ

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Print | E-mail

EAST RUTHERFORD — There was only one thing about Sunday’s game that didn’t bother Jets linebacker Calvin Pace: the end result.

The Jets eked out a 28-24 win over Buffalo in a must-have game. But it was the idea of how close they came to not getting the win that was the source of Pace’s frustration.

"You don’t have to make it that hard on yourself," Pace said. "Sometimes, there’s nothing wrong with going out and dominating a team."

Three weeks ago, the Jets went to Buffalo and imposed their will with a 27-11 win, pulling away after halftime.

On Sunday, the Jets were poised to do the same, taking a 21-14 lead late in the third quarter. But after a series of mistakes, they let the Bills back in the game.

"I just don’t understand why we go out and we practice a certain way and … you go to Buffalo and you dominate, but you come here and it’s an ESPN Classic. It don’t have to be like that, it really don’t. ... That’s how you lose ballgames."

The Jets very nearly lost this game after the defense surrendered the lead in the fourth. But the Jets escaped, thanks to a late, clutch scoring drive from the offense. The go-ahead drive featured a stunning, 18-yard, one-handed grab by Plaxico Burress, which led to Santonio Holmes’ go-ahead touchdown catch with 1:01 left.

"What if Plax didn’t make that play? Then we sitting in here looking stupid," Pace said. "But again, we won. That’s all that matters. We found a way. I will say that, we found a way."

But he had few kind words for his defense, which allowed 336 total yards, including 250 through the air.

"Defensively, at best, we were mediocre," Pace said. "For whatever reason, we just didn’t have enough fire until it got to the point where it was a dire situation."

Even when the situation was dire, the defense needed some luck to finish the job. The Bills were driving in the final minute; if the Jets allowed a touchdown it would be season-crippling. Yet, Stevie Johnson somehow got wide open in the middle of the field with plenty of space in front of him. Johnson dropped the ball, giving the Jets a reprieve.

Though Pace wasn’t impressed with his defense’s stand, coach Rex Ryan found positives.

"Defensively, the one thing we can say is that we finished," Ryan said. "It might not have been the prettiest way, but we did finish. I’ll take that every day of the week. We get a lead, and [then] we had to close it out. And we did."

Pace will take the win, too. But next time, he’d rather take it without the drama.

"Just go out and bury a team, make it easy on yourself, like we did in Buffalo the first time," Pace said. "I guess I just expect more from us. But like I said, we won. I’m not mad. I’m just, I wish it could be a little easier than that."

E-mail: vasqueza@northjersey.com

Jets notes: Stevie Johnson vs. Darrelle Revis

The Record

Print | E-mail

Johnson vs. Revis

When he wasn’t busy incurring celebration penalties, Buffalo’s Stevie Johnson did something Sunday nobody else recently has done.

He established a beachhead on Revis Island. Not that star cornerback Darrelle Revis or Jets coach Rex Ryan would admit it.

Johnson had eight receptions for 75 yards and a touchdown, and also got free from Revis for a potential big gain on the Bills’ final drive, but dropped the pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick.

"I’m not going to say that the kid got the best of him," Ryan said. "He had 75 yards receiving. … I’ll give the young man credit. He made some great catches. I think the guy is a great talent, but he never got the better of Revis."

Revis said, "They caught a couple of underneath balls, but we knew at the end it wasn’t going to be enough."

Still, Johnson has had 11 catches in two games against the Jets this season, more receptions than Revis usually gives up in a season. And his 5-yard scoring catch in the second quarter was the first touchdown reception allowed by Revis since Denver’s Demaryius Thomas beat him for a score on Oct. 17, 2010. Revis had gone 22 consecutive games, including postseason, without allowing a touchdown.

As for the drop, Johnson said the ball "was there. I just didn’t make the play. My reaction was off."

"Stevie did a good job," Fitzpatrick said, "all day with his routes and catches and they started double-teaming him a bit and giving [Revis] some help."

Smith returns

Buffalo wide receiver Brad Smith’s second touchdown of the season was his first against the Jets, who drafted him in the fourth round in 2006. He left for Buffalo via free agency in the summer. Smith made a terrific, juggling catch for a 36-yard scoring pass against Antonio Cromartie in the third quarter, tying the score at 21.

"I tried to use a double move and [Cromartie] stayed back," Smith explained. "I was actually reaching to knock it down. Somehow the ball was tipped up and I saw it floating."

Briefs

Jets’ DE Mike DeVito left the game in the third with a knee injury and didn’t return. He was replaced by Marcus Dixon. Ryan didn’t provide an update on DeVito’s condition after the game. … RB LaDainian Tomlinson and WR-PR Jeremy Kerley each missed a second straight game because of knee injuries.

— J.P. Pelzman

Jets replay vs. Bills

The Record

Print | E-mail

Star of the game

As usual, he wasn’t always accurate, but Mark Sanchez was at his best Sunday when it mattered most. He connected for a career-high four touchdown passes, including the 16-yard game-winner to Santonio Holmes with 1:01 left in the fourth quarter. Sanchez threw a second-quarter interception and had several other potential picks dropped, but he did lead the Jets back from a 24-21 fourth-quarter deficit.

Key play

Buffalo WR Stevie Johnson already had cost his team plenty of field position with his ill-advised celebration penalty that set up a failed squib kick, but he had a chance to make amends when he was wide open on a slant pattern over the middle of the field in the fourth quarter. Johnson possibly could have scored on the play and at the very least likely would’ve gotten inside the 10, but he dropped Ryan Fitzpatrick’s well-thrown pass.

Costly mistakes

Sanchez’s lone interception of the game set up the Bills at the Jets’ 20 and led to Johnson’s 5-yard touchdown catch, which preceded Johnson’s costly penalty. … Former Jet Brad Smith caught a 36-yard scoring pass from Fitzpatrick immediately after CB Antonio Cromartie muffed a punt and Buffalo recovered. Cromartie was in because sure-handed Jim Leonhard had the wind knocked out of him on the previous play.

Eye-catching

Jets LB Aaron Maybin, a former Bill, had two sacks. He had gone without a sack in the previous three games and now has five for the season. … RB Tashard Choice, signed by Buffalo on Wednesday after Fred Jackson was declared out for the season, carried the ball twice, losing 5 yards and then losing 3. … Jets S Emanuel Cook was credited with one kickoff return for zero yards for recovering the intended squib kick that bounced off him.

Coaching decisions

The Jets used only two running backs with LaDainian Tomlinson (knee) sitting out for a second straight game. Bilal Powell was active, but didn’t get into the game. … Buffalo defensive coordinator George Edwards blitzed Sanchez on the go-ahead play, but the Jets’ offensive line handled the pressure long enough for Sanchez to get outside the pocket and spot Holmes.

Looking ahead

The Jets (6-5) will visit Washington (4-7) for the first time since 2003 at 1 p.m. on Sunday. The Jets are 1-4 away from home this season after going 8-3 on the road last season, including playoffs.

— J.P. Pelzman

Maybin's Pass Rush Pays Some Bills Sunday

By Andrew LeRay

Posted 4 hours ago

Coming into their 28-24 victory over the Bills on Sunday, the Jets' defense boasted the second-best third-down conversion rate in the league; in large part because third down is a time for Mayhem to ensue.

Screaming off the edge in pass-rush situations, LB Aaron “Mayhem” Maybin showed his former team the weapon they let get away.

“It feels great,” said Maybin after his two-sack performance. “Like I was telling the guys, looking at the situation I had been in and how far I’ve come, it’s awesome. It’s been a great story.”

Maybin is being modest when he refers to his story as “great.” A first-round pick of the Bills in 2009, his career in Buffalo ended before it really had a chance to begin. After failing to record a single sack in his two seasons in Western New York, he now has a team-leading five in his first season wearing the green and white.

“At the end of the day, you want to go out and perform well,” said Maybin. “But when the team has some must-win games ahead of you, it feels good to be able to go out there and have a good game in a situation like that.”

Both sacks on Sunday came in third-down situations, forcing Buffalo punts. In the second quarter, with the score tied at 7-7, Maybin entered the game on third-and-8. QB Ryan Fitzpatrick completed a 13-yard pass to WR David Nelson, but flags littered the field. Maybin and Buffalo C Kraig Urbik were called for offsetting personal fouls, leading to a replay of the down.

Maybin took advantage of the extra opportunity, hunting down Fitzpatrick 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage for his first sack.

“That’s what I’ve wanted my whole career,” said Maybin. “Just to be in a place that was going to give me the opportunity to do the things I know I could to help the team win.”

Later in the second quarter, Maybin again checked in on a third down from the Bills' 20-yard line. Fitzpatrick dropped back a little too far, allowing Maybin to release from his blocker and record his second sack for a loss of 8 yards.

The demonstrative Maybin is not one to shy away from the spotlight, and his post-sack celebrations are a release of unbridled emotion. Considering that his former team was on the receiving end, his reactions were a bit more pointed.

It seemed like Maybin’s enthusiasm was too much to handle for some of his former teammates. In the third quarter of a tie game, Maybin entered the game on first down. After a run-of-the-mill 4-yard run from RB C.J. Spiller, Maybin was shoved by Bills RT Erik Pears. Flags flew and a 15-yard personal foul was enforced. Even when Maybin wasn’t anywhere near the play, his impact was felt.

But we may never know what Maybin said to garner such harsh treatment from Pears. Maybin leaves his business on the field.

“No comment,” said Maybin. “They know and I know. That’s about it.”

It seems as if Maybin has only one speed. He goes full-bore every time he steps on the turf and electrifies the crowd with his never-say-die mentality. Nerves were never in play on Sunday when he lined up across from the same men he shared a locker room with a season ago.

“If you want to play fast and aggressive," he said, "you can’t really play nervous.”

With the win, the Jets crept over the .500 mark and separated themselves from the Bills by a full game. Sunday was the first step in a march toward the playoffs and prevented a disastrous three-game losing streak.

The rest of the year remains an uphill climb, but Maybin sees nothing wrong with that.

“When you’re looking to make a playoff push, being able to close on a team in the fourth quarter definitely helps send that message," he said. "For us to be in this position now to make this run at the end of the season, it feels good.”

TD dances cost Bills in loss to Jets'

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 9:07 AM, November 28, 2011

Posted: 1:45 AM, November 28, 2011

More icon_print.gif Print

phil_mushnick.pngPhil Mushnick

EQUAL TIME

Ancient Rome, with HOV lanes.

I wish there were someone in charge to let us know if this is how football will be played until further notice.

Yep, another week in which football grew closer to looking indistinguishable from surveillance video of street crime, with beatings and stompings included. Another week of aggravated assaults on what’s left of the good senses.

Let’s work in the direction we’re headed — backward.

Yesterday it didn’t matter to Bills wide receiver Stevie Johnson that the Bills were in a must-win game. Not a bit. His endless second-quarter post-touchdown catch mocking of the Jets, including a mime of Plaxico Burress collapsing after shooting himself in the leg — I can’t believe I’m writing this — cost the Bills 15 yards on the kickoff, a flag and fact that went totally missed by Marv Albert, Rich Gannon and apparently everyone in the CBS booth and truck!

stevie--300x450.jpg

AP

JET SCREAM: The Bills' Stevie Johnson was guilty of several counts of aggravated - and costly - touchdown clebration during the Jets' 28-24 victory yesterday at MetLife Stadium.

Didn’t anyone see the Bills were kicking off from their 20? Didn’t anyone want to know why? Even before Johnson’s late-game dropped pass, his stupidity cost Buffalo the game! The Bills flubbed the kick, which likely would have given the Jets great field position anyway. Moments later, the Jets scored to tie the game.

And not that anyone at CBS knew, but a year ago today, Johnson dropped a pass alone in the end zone, that would have been the OT game-winner against Pittsburgh, a game the Bills lost. It happened on CBS!

And not that anyone at CBS knew, but Johnson had previously been fined $5,000 for excessive post-TD catch behavior. And then said, “I don’t regret it.”

Yesterday, the Jets were down three to the Bills, and driving with 1:44 left, when Plaxico Burress, after making a nice catch, was late to see Mark Sanchez’s no-huddle signals. Burress was busy performing a how-great-I-art first-down bit.

Saturday night on/for ABC/ESPN, Stanford — against Notre Dame — broke out its latest in tradition-killing Nike gangsta-wear, again abandoning school colors in what appeared to be black-helmeted executioners’ costumes.

Saturday on the SEC Network, Kentucky, school colors blue and white, but only since 1882, played Tennessee in blue and black football uniforms, as per Nike’s instructions.

And how often does Kentucky beat Tennessee in football? The Wildcats had lost 26 straight to the Vols, but were up 10-6 in the fourth Saturday. That’s when Kentucky defensive back Randall Burden decided to act up, misconduct that gave Tennessee 15 yards. Despite itself, Kentucky won.

Friday, on ESPN, Pittsburgh was beating “Backyard Brawl” rival West Virginia 20-14 halfway through the fourth quarter when Pitt defensive tackle

The 15-yard penalty gave West Virginia a first down at the Pitt 28. Several plays later, the Mountaineers would score, the PAT giving them a 21-20 lead. Final score: 21-20.

Unreal! Crazy! And now as common as drunks in the parking lot.

Thanksgiving Night, after his team beat the Lions, Packers linebacker Erik Walden was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend, a charge now so common against college-bred NFL players that it ranks third, behind false starts and pass interference.

On Thanksgiving Day, the Lions’ recidivist head-breaker, Ndamukong Suh, with calm and erudition, told us to suspend belief of what we saw in the third quarter — his ejection after another on-field, post-tackle brutalization of an opponent — to instead believe we didn’t see what we saw, that he was innocent, that the officials made him the victim.

stevie--300x450.jpg

AP

JET SCREAM: The Bills' Stevie Johnson was guilty of several counts of aggravated - and costly - touchdown clebration during the Jets' 28-24 victory yesterday at MetLife Stadium.

Ancient Rome, baby.

TD dances cost Bills

If Rutgers radio analyst Ray Lucas — a former Scarlet Knights quarterback who also works for SNY — is serious about a broadcasting career , he should try telling us about the game, as opposed to what he “hopes” will happen to benefit Rutgers.

Anyone notice how these far-away Thanksgiving college basketball tournaments — Alaska, Mexico — played to mostly empty arenas? Anchorage’s “Great Alaska Shootout” this year included local favorite, South Florida.

* The Lead: ESPN’s Urban Meyer is leaving ESPN to coach Ohio State, ESPN.com reports. Details on ESPN’s SportsCenter, next here on ESPN.

Gary Danielson’s repeated references to LSU coach Les Miles on Friday as “Les” were, shall we say, too cozy for comfort.

What do you think ESPN Classic programmed directly against Alabama-Auburn on CBS? A documentary on the Alabama-Auburn game.

Newly retired John Paul Stevens, 35 years a Supreme Court Justice, told the Washington Post he’ll continue to “watch the Redskins.” At 90 years old, did he mean football or the Sioux and Comanches?

* A CBS graphic yesterday told us Mark Sanchez is the first Jets quarterback to throw four TD passes in a game since Brett Favre in 2008. Er, fellas, Sanchez has been the only Jets quarterback since Brett Favre.

Ticketmaster all wet over Katrina

In 2005, the Giants were scheduled to play the Saints in New Orleans, as they are tonight. But Hurricane Katrina made that impossible. The game was switched to a Monday night at Giants Stadium.

Ticketmaster, accused of quick-profiting from the tragedy by charging a $10.30 per ticket “convenience fee,” then announced its take would be donated to the Katrina relief effort.

More than 68,000 attended the game. Conservatively, Ticketmaster sold 45,000 of those tickets. If $10.30 of every ticket sold were to be donated, then Ticketmaster would have donated more than $400,000. Now that’s something any company would be eager to tell everyone.

But not another word about it was heard from Ticketmaster or the NFL.

A year later, when pressed by this column for details — how many tickets did it sell, how much was donated, to which charity or charities was the money donated — Ticketmaster’s response was essentially, “None of your business.” It’s official, vague response was, “We honored our commitment.”

Six years later, the entire matter still stinks like an NFL-enabled charity scam.

* Plain-talk is trending dead. There is no faux-hip silly term sportscasters won’t repeat. On FOX Sports Net’s Houston-Tulsa, seen on MSG2, Tulsa tight end Clay Sears caught a pass for what appeared to be 4 yards. All analyst J.C. Pearson told us was it was for “positive yards.”

Yesterday, throughout Bills-Jets, CBS’ Rich Gannon reached for them all. Bills defensive back Da’Norris Searcy didn’t merely play a lot last week, he “played a lot of snaps last week.” And one doesn’t fumble, one, “puts the ball on the ground.”

Jets coach gets results after scolding offensive line

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:46 AM, November 28, 2011

Posted: 1:55 AM, November 28, 2011

JETS NOTES

Jets coach Rex Ryan called out the offensive line in the team’s pregame meeting Saturday night.

The unit had allowed quarterback Mark Sanchez to take some brutal hits in the last two weeks and had failed to open running lanes. Ryan told the line it was time to improve their game yesterday against the Bills.

Message received.

The Jets did not allow a sack for the first time this season. They also rushed for 138 yards, their second-highest total this year, in a 28-24 win over the Bills.

28.2s058.jets.c--300x300.jpg

Paul J. Bereswill

MEADOWLANDS MAYHEM: Jets linebacker Aaron Maybin, who played the first two seasons of his NFL career with the Bills, celebrates one of his two sacks of Buffalo quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick yesterday.

“He does that about once a year,” left guard Matt Slauson said of Ryan calling out the line. “I think he might have to do it every week. Since he’s been here and he challenges our line we come out the next day and we win and we play great. I’m hoping he does that every week.”

Slauson said the unit responded instantly when Ryan issued his challenge.

“We felt pumped up,” Slauson said. “We were jazzed. Wayne [Hunter] said, ‘Call up Buffalo and let’s play right now.’ ”

After the victory, Ryan praised the line.

“I really couldn’t be happier about the way the offensive line performed,” Ryan said. “They did a

tremendous job.”

* Outside linebacker Aaron Maybin had a big day against his former team.

Maybin, the Bills’ first-round pick in 2009, had two sacks in the game. He leads the Jets with five sacks, after registering none in his first two seasons. The Bills let Maybin go this summer.

“God is awesome,” Maybin said. “The position I was in a year ago and the things people were saying, how far He has brought me and how far I’ve come, it just feels good to be in this locker room with these guys right now enjoying ourselves.”

The Jets had three sacks of Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Bills entered the game leading the league with just 12 sacks allowed this year.

* Running back Shonn Greene played with bruised ribs that clearly were hurting him, but he ran for 78 yards on 13 carries, an average of 6.0 yards per carry.

* Defensive tackle Mike DeVito left the game in the third quarter with a knee injury. DeVito sprained an MCL earlier this season and missed two games. ... Wide receiver Patrick Turner made his first start of the season and had a huge third-down catch on the Jets’ final drive.

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/rex_lays_it_on_the_line_and_gets_M36AtvTJyTV6Vor15LgMzN#ixzz1f10LlM4Z

Jets defeat Bills with late touchdown

Jets Blog

Jets 28, Bills 24

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:09 AM, November 28, 2011

Posted: 1:18 AM, November 28, 2011

The Jets have been waiting for four months for their free-agency investments in wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress to pay dividends.

Yesterday, the duo may have saved the season.

Holmes and Burress each came up with a monster catch on the Jets’ game-winning drive in their 28-24 victory over the Bills at MetLife Stadium.

Mark Sanchez found Holmes for a 16-yard touchdown with 1:01 left in the game for the go-ahead score, less than a minute after Burress made a one-handed, third-down grab to keep the drive alive. The defense then barely hung on to give the Jets a much-needed win.

“We knew we needed this game,” Burress said. “There comes a point in the season where you recognize it’s go time.”

The Jets (6-5) remain in the AFC playoff hunt with the victory. It was not pretty, but the Jets can live without style points at this point in the season. Sanchez threw a career-high four touchdowns and played his best on that final drive when his team needed him to.

Sanchez, who saw some of his practice reps go to backup Mark Brunell this week, went 7-for-9 for 66 yards on the final drive to hand the Bills (5-6) their fourth straight loss.

“That’s what we always said about Mark that he’s at his best in big moments,” Rex Ryan said.

“Certainly today you can’t get a bigger moment than what we had.”

Sanchez got help from the pair of receivers the Jets spent big bucks on this summer. They re-signed Holmes to a five-year, $45 million in July and added Burress a few days later, giving him $3.017 for this season. The duo combined for only six catches in the game, but they made the plays they had to in order to win the game.

The Jets remain one game behind the Bengals (7-4) a in the race for a wild-card spot with five games left. The Broncos, who hold a tiebreaker over the Jets, and the Titans are also 6-5.

“I think we realized that from the start of the game that we had to win this game and we couldn’t let these guys come in here and get a victory on us,” said Holmes, who now has six game-winning touchdowns in the last two minutes of a game, the most since 1983.

The game was sloppy with several bone-headed plays, none worse than Bills receiver Stevie Johnson drawing an excessive celebration penalty in the second quarter that led to a horrible kickoff by kicker Dave Rayner to give the Jets great field position. Sanchez hit Burress with a 14-yard touchdown pass to tie the game 14-14 before halftime.

“It was huge,” Bills coach Chan Gailey said of the swing in momentum.

Johnson went on to drop a pass on the Bills’ final drive that could have resulted in a game-winning touchdown.

The Jets took a 21-14 lead on their first drive of the third quarter with Sanchez connecting with tight end Dustin Keller for Keller’s second score of the day. The Jets then handed the momentum back.

Antonio Cromartie, who had a rough game, muffed a punt that the Bills recovered.

Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick then targeted Cromartie on the next play, throwing a 36-yard touchdown pass to former Jet Brad Smith, who tipped the ball over Cromartie and made the catch to tie the game.

A Rayner 53-yard field goal with 9:51 left in the game gave the Bills a 24-21 lead.

The Jets got the ball for the final time with 5:44 left. They moved the ball to the 47 before their first big play of the drive, when Sanchez found Patrick Turner for a 12-yard catch on third down. After a failed shovel pass, they faced a third-and-11 with two minutes left. Sanchez threw the ball up to Burress along the sideline to keep the drive going.

“I don’t know how many receivers in the league are going to make that catch,” Ryan said.

Two plays later, the Bills flushed Sanchez from the pocket at the 16. He rolled to his right. Holmes, who first ran toward the middle of the field, put a move on cornerback Aaron Williams and ran toward the sideline, where Sanchez hit him with the game-winning strike.

“They’ve all been in those situations,” Turner said of Sanchez, Burress and Holmes. “That’s when the playmakers come out when it’s all on the line. Don’t blink, not scared of the moment and just go up and make plays. We have a number of guys like that and they came through in the clutch for us today.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/gift_of_grab_has_gang_believing_gVkOgHIuiYOLuruRwvEGNN#ixzz1f11Gzcwe

Jets QB Sanchez comes through in clutch

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 8:55 AM, November 28, 2011

Posted: 1:45 AM, November 28, 2011

steve_serby.pngSteve Serby

In the end, it wasn’t Rex Ryan taking a handful of first-team practice snaps away from Mark Sanchez that got the kid’s attention. And it wasn’t the boo-birds raining down from all over MetLife Stadium for too many bad decisions from the quarterback, and too many miscommunications with his receivers, and too many inaccurate throws, and one grievous interception.

It was first-and-season from his 18 with 5:44 left, Bills 24, Jets 21.

“As a quarterback, If you’re playing at this level, I hope you have the confidence that you’re gonna go down and score and win, or kick a field goal and tie it and beat ’em in overtime,” Sanchez said after Jets 28, Bills 24.

He was asked if he expected to score a touchdown on first-and-season.

“Every time, you do,” Sanchez said.

He was one of the few inside MetLife-And-Death Stadium who did. He had thrown three touchdown passes, two to Dustin Keller, one to Plaxico Burress, but on the preceding series, a third-and-2 pass for Santonio Holmes had fallen 7 yards behind him.

“He adjusted his route when I didn’t think he would,” Sanchez said.

Then there was the matter of 4-for-13 for 20 yards at one point in the first half.

“I think just the discipline in our passing game,” Sanchez said. “It just wasn’t where we need to be, and we’ll get it corrected. ”

But he was the one who threw the Drayton Florence interception that set up the go-ahead Buffalo touchdown.

“I’m expecting ’Tone to sit down, and he said he got pushed in,” Sanchez said. “So when I don’t see him clear enough like that, you gotta anticipate the throw, so I don’t really take back the decision, but I just need to be aware of that when the DB undercuts him like that. ... he’s got contact, maybe [check] down to your back or eat the ball and throw it away, whatever. ”

First-and-season for Dead Team Walking.

“If we lose, we’re done,” Matt Slauson said.

Ryan was asked if Sanchez ever makes him nervous.

“The only time I get nervous,” Ryan said, “is when he doesn’t get up.”

He was one of the few inside Met Life-And-Death Stadium who wasn’t.

“Nobody’s talking about a field goal,” Keller said. “We’re not playing for overtime, we’re playing to win the game.”

Burress reaching high to make a one-handed catch of a Sanchez floater over Jarius Byrd for 18 yards by the Jets sideline on third-and-11 from the Buffalo 36 allowed them to play to win the game.

“It felt like a regular catch to me,” Burress said. “You just make the signal and hike the ball and just say, ‘Let’s play basketball, and my guy is better than your guy.’ ”

Second-and-season from the 16, following a quick QB sneak to beat a potential Buffalo challenge of Burress’ catch. And here came the blitz.

“I started running, knowing I’m ready to throw it away or get a couple of yards and get out of bounds and save some time,” Sanchez said.

He started running to his right, then pointing.

“[Quarterbacks] Coach [Matt] Cavanaugh just reminds us to remain a passer and keep your eyes up,” Sanchez said.

Coach’s eyes up.

“I’m sittin’ back, [saying,] ‘Oh run it, run it, run it ... or throw it for a touchdown!’ ” Ryan cracked.

Sanchise eyes up.

“’Tone freed up, gave me his hand and let me know where he was going, and that was it,” Sanchez said.

His career-high four-touchdown day only saved the season.

“That’s what he is, I mean he’s a stud. ... Sanchise, that’s who he is.,” Ryan said.

Ryan was eager enough to point out that Sanchez was 9-for-14 for 114 yards, two TDs and a 123 quarterback rating in the second half, and said: “And, that’s what we always said about Mark, that he’s at his best at big moments, and certainly today, you can’t get a bigger moment than what we had.”

When first-and-season began, Keller had tapped Holmes on the shoulder and informed him he would catch the game-winner from Sanchez.

“No matter what he goes through, he continues to play to the last seconds of the game,” Holmes said.

Sanchez dismissed Ryan’s motivational practice ploy.

“This game and this season is a lot bigger than that,” he said.

Sure he heard the boos.

“That’s the last thing on my mind. There’s bigger things on our plate than that,” Sanchez said.

There’s running the table.

“We don’t need to fight it at the end, and grind it out, and bite our nails at the end of the game,” Sanchez said. “We won’t win every game like that, is what I’m saying.”

Indeed. But thanks to Sanchez, Ryan summed up yesterday best when he exhaled: “Whew!”

steve.serby@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/despite_struggles_sanchez_comes_SMNpFgpSk0XZAusc9dGHkN#ixzz1f126IgSp

Game review: Heroes and goats

November, 28, 2011

Nov 28

10:23

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Some positives and negatives from the Jets' 28-24 win over the Bills:

THREE UP

Mark Sanchez. It wasn't pretty, but he got his team in the end zone and walked away with a win. He became the first Jets QB since Joe Namath in 1968 to have four TD passes with less than a 50-percent completion rate, according to ESPN Stats & Information. That's a rare deal. Sanchez became only the third QB since 1999 to pull that off, joining Trent Edwards (2007) and Peyton Manning (2009).

Plaxico Burress/Santonio Holmes. They caught the final two passes, Burress with his acrobatic, season-saving grab and Holmes with his game-winning TD. Until that play, Holmes and Sanchez had connected on only one of their previous 11 tries (two drops by Holmes in this game). As for Burress, it may been the Jets' best catch since Jerricho Cotchery's diving play last year in Cleveland. Try imitating that, Stevie Johnson.

Shonn Greene. It was a quietly effective game for Greene, who rushed for 78 yards on 13 carries -- a 6.0 average. He showed some giddy-up, getting to the second level. He also showed toughness, coming back from an undisclosed injury, and endurance, handling a bunch of the third-down plays.

THREE DOWN

Antonio Cromartie. Okay, so the touchdown he allowed was a fluke, a tipped ball on a 36-yard pass to Brad Smith. But Cromartie also muffed a punt and missed a tackle on a key third-down play.

Darrelle Revis. By his standards, this was an off day. He covered Johnson the entire game, and allowed eight completions for 75 yards and a touchdown -- the first TD against Revis this season. None of the plays went longer than 16 yards, so you can't say Revis got burned. He got nickel-and-dimed, with slant after slant.

Bart Scott. This is a bit of an anamoly because of the circumstances. Because of the Bills' spread offense, the Jets were in nickel and dime most of the game. Therefore, Scott had a limited number of snaps. But even so, he didn't record any tackles.

Looking at the AFC playoff picture through 12 weeks

By Matt Vensel

10:00 a.m. EST, November 28, 2011

As the Ravens enjoyed their first weekend off since the bye week -- a prize for defeating two quality opponents in five days -- the rest of the AFC contenders held serve by winning their games on Sunday.

The New England Patriots, Houston Texans and Pittsburgh Steelers won to improve to 8-3 and force a four-way tie atop the conference with the Ravens. Technically, the Ravens are the No. 3 seed right now behind the Texans and Patriots because conference record is the tie-breaker. The Texans are 7-2 in the AFC and the Patriots are 6-2. The Ravens are 5-2 (plus they own a head-to-head win over the Texans).

The Ravens, of course, have the edge over the Steelers in the AFC North by virtue of their season sweep.

The AFC West-leading Oakland Raiders (7-4) and the Cincinnati Bengals (7-4), who are in the final wild card spot, each picked up wins on Sunday, too, as the cream of the AFC continued to rise to the top.

Three AFC teams are at 6-5 after Sunday. Tim Tebow and the surging Denver Broncos beat the San Diego Chargers. The Tennessee Titans defeated the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. And Rex Ryan and the New York Jets kept hope alive with a win over the Buffalo Bills, who have now lost four straight games.

Really, the only significant losses suffered by AFC contenders were on the injury front. The Texans, who were already playing without starting quarterback Matt Schaub, likely lost backup QB Matt Leinart for the season, too. And Steelers safety Troy Polamalu reportedly suffered a concussion on Sunday night.

The Ravens are in excellent position to secure at least a first-round bye for the posteason. Baltimore’s final five opponents have a combined record of 15-29 and only one (Cincinnati) has a winning record.

Schwartz: Jets Live For Another Week

November 28, 2011 11:50 AM

plaxico-burress-brian-schottenheimer.jpg?w=300

By Peter Schwartz

It certainly wasn’t pretty, but Sunday’s 28-24 win over the Bills ensures that the Jets will have another meaningful week of work — and that a win over the Redskins will keep the ball rolling in their fight for a playoff spot.

But let’s be honest. The Jets are very lucky that they were hosting the Bills because they really didn’t play that well.

And it starts with quarterback Mark Sanchez, who I have continued to defend all season. The offensive problems are not all his fault, but he made several questionable decisions and threw an interception for the fifth straight game. He is still a young NFL quarterback, but his decision-making has to improve. One can only point at the offensive line for lack of protection for so long.

Having said that, he came up big when he had to. Sanchez was 9 of 15 for 114 yards in the second half. His toss on third and eleven on the deciding drive allowed Plaxico Burress to make a sensational one-handed catch along the left sideline. That set up the game-winning touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes.

It was the eighth game-winning touchdown drive for Sanchez in his career. I know he has a lot of work to do, but his detractors need to back off. He wins games. It’s not always pretty, but he wins.

And he’s going to get better.

I thought that the defense played well, as the Sanchez pick and the Antonio Cromartie muffed punt led to 14 Buffalo points. They found themselves in familiar territory in the final minute as the Bills tried to drive for the game-winning score. The defense held, although they got a couple of breaks with drops by Stevie Johnson, but mission completed.

Speaking of Johnson, did you see his celebration following his second quarter touchdown catch? If you haven’t, here it is…

What Johnson did was classless. While it’s true that Burress made a terrible decision to bring a gun into a nightclub three years ago, there’s no reason for a player, someone who is part of the same fraternity, to mock someone for shooting themselves in the leg.

“He’s an idiot for that,” said Jets tight end Dustin Keller who had two touchdown catches in the game. “It’s obviously a rough situation that happened a long time ago. It’s not funny. It’s not comical at all. He should be embarrassed.”

The dropped passes also put a scarlet letter on Johnson, especially in the eyes of his teammates, coaches and Bills fans.

“Most definitely it hurt our team,” said Johnson. “it was very stupid of me going through that and I feel like I cost our team the win by doing that.”

Johnson received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and the Jets would score on their next drive.

He certainly deserves a fine from the NFL office for his actions.

Here’s the bottom line for the Jets. They survived and won the game. But it wasn’t a completely successful day by any means. Both the Bengals and Broncos rallied to win their games and now one more week is off the schedule. Here’s the AFC Wild Card situation…

1. Steelers 8-3

2. Bengals 7-4

3. Broncos 6-5

4. Jets 6-5

The Jets are still one game back of the Bengals and they lose a head to head tie-breaker with the Broncos. I would think that running the table with five wins would get the Jets in, but the Broncos and Bengals aren’t going away.

Gang Green did get one little piece of help and it came from the Patriots. New England hammered Philadelphia — and it helps make the Jets’ December 18 contest in Philly that much more meaningless for the Eagles.

This is going to be an uphill climb that the Jets can only blame themselves for getting into. But first things first: They have to take care of business Sunday against the Redskins who saw their six game losing streak come to an end with a win over the Seahawks.

We’ll see how things unfold this week as we look on to see how “As The Jets Turn” continues.

Palladino: It’s Not How You Win For Jets

November 28, 2011 11:27 AM

Share this3 comments

mark-sanchez6.jpg?w=300

(credit: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

‘From the Pressbox’

By Ernie Palladino

Ernie is the author of “Lombardi and Landry.” He’ll be covering football throughout the season.

Don’t worry about the numbers.

From here on in, the numbers surrounding Mark Sanchez and the Jets don’t matter for the most part. The only ones that counted in yesterday’s win over the Bills were 28-24, 6-5, and 5.

Those were final score, the Jets’ record that keeps them from falling out of the playoff hunt, and the number of games left that the Jets must at least win the majority of to make the postseason.

The rest? All fluff. The Jets are in a zero-sum business right now. Win, move on to the next game, and win again. Do it enough times and they’ll save their season.

And it won’t matter a darned whether Sanchez threw those career-high four touchdown passes, making him look like a star despite completing less than 50 percent of his passes. Or that the Jets went life and death, dependent on Sanchez’ final run-out scoring pass to Santonio Holmes with 1:01 remaining, and then having to hang on as the defense gave Ryan Fitzpatrick three shots to the end zone at the end. Had Fitzpatrick not thrown a second-and-7 end zone pass from the Jets’ 24 behind an apparently open Stevie Johnson, this blog might be reading far different than it is now.

It doesn’t matter that they had a roller coaster game against a battered Buffalo squad that lost its fourth straight and will play the rest of the way without their top ball carrier, Fred Jackson, waylaid the previous week by a broken fibula.

The fact is, the Jets walked out of MetLife Stadium as winners. Ultimately, they did what they had to do. And for now, that’s enough.

They face Washington next week, another team that should get blown out, though the Redskins don’t appear ready to ditch the rest of the season yet. Rex Ryan’s bunch will probably play that one too-close-for-comfort, too.

If the season ended now, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati would land as the two wild card teams. So there is still much work to do.

How the Jets do it doesn’t matter anymore. Artistry went out the window long ago. The fans’ support, flagging even as Sanchez struggled to position his team for that final touchdown pass, no longer matters.

Be with them. Doubt them. Who cares? These last five games are probably not going to be pretty.

But pretty doesn’t garner victory. Points do. And as long as the scoreboard leans in the Jets’ direction, they’ll have a shot.

Surely, there are problems. Inconsistent defense — another final, long drive, just follow up on Tim Tebow’s backbreaker from last week. Missed assignments. A second-quarter interception that set up Johnson’s touchdown, a 14-7 Buffalo lead, and the wide receiver’s tasteless “shot-in-the-thigh” celebration pointed at Plaxico Burress.

It’s a good thing the officials flagged Johnson, setting up Dave Rayner’s flubbed kickoff attempt from the 20 that led to Burress’ tying touchdown catch. Otherwise, the Jets would have been in real trouble.

Again, it all gets washed away in the victory. No time for trends. No time for playing the confidence game with this team.

Move on to next week, hopefully knock down another opponent, and go on to the next.

Five games. And it doesn’t matter a bit how the Jets win them.

Just that they win.

Stevie Johnson says he did not drop a game-winning touchdown

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 28, 2011, 11:40 AM EST

steviejohnson.jpg?w=129 AP

Bills receiver Stevie Johnson has been the subject of a lot of scrutiny after Sunday’s loss to the Jets. One reason was the 15-yard penalty he drew for a celebration mocking Plaxico Burress. The other is that Johnson dropped a potentially game-winning touchdown catch late in the fourth quarter.

But while Johnson acknowledged that it was stupid of him to incur a penalty with his celebration, he disputes that he had a drop. After fans called Johnson out on Twitter, Johnson shot back.

“I can’t believe you guys really telling me I “dropped” the GWinner. Smh. Pitt was a drop. This was QB&WR not on the same page,” Johnson tweeted.

In other words, Johnson says, his dropped touchdown catch in overtime against the Steelers last year was a real, honest-to-goodness drop. But Johnson doesn’t believe he dropped a game-winner against the Jets yesterday. He just believes he and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick miscommunicated.

Here’s the reality: Johnson had two potentially game-winning touchdown passes thrown to him in the final minute of the Bills’ loss. On one of them, in the end zone, Johnson is right: He and Fitzpatrick weren’t on the same page, and if anything the incompletion appeared to be Fitzpatrick’s fault, not Johnson’s.

But on the other one, Johnson got open in the Jets’ secondary, and Fitzpatrick hit him in the hands at the 25-yard line, with Johnson having a good chance to take it to the house. And Johnson just dropped it. Period.

My reaction was slow,” Johnson said after the game. “It was there. I just didn’t react fast enough.”

So, yes, Johnson dropped a potentially game-winning touchdown pass. Whether he likes hearing that from fans on Twitter or not.0

Game review: Just like Tebow

November, 28, 2011

Nov 28

12:45

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

This was a fascinating game because it contained so many subplots, and it included a bunch of heroes (Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez) and one undeniable goat (Stevie Johnson).

Give credit to the Jets' offense for executing in the clutch, but the defense? Oh, man, did it get lucky in the final seconds. After breaking down the tape Monday morning, here's how it looked:

SANCHEZ: TEBOW-ESQUE

Two weeks ago, Tim Tebow overcame a poor 54 minutes to lead the Broncos to the game-winning TD. On Sunday, Sanchez overcame a shaky 54 minutes to do the same for the Jets. Consider the similarities:

Tebow got the ball with 5:54 to play, trailing by three points; Sanchez got the ball with 5:44, down by three.

Tebow led a 12-play, 95-yard scoring drive; Sanchez led a 12-play, 82-yard drive.

Tebow scored with 58 seconds left in the game; Sanchez threw the game-winning TD with 61 seconds remaining.

Tebow beat a blitz, going to his strong side (left) and keeping it for a 20-yard TD run. Sanchez beat a blitz, going to his strong side (right) and firing a 16-yard strike to Holmes. Afterward, Rex Ryan, perhaps with Tebow on the brain, said he was yelling for Sanchez to "Run! Run!"

After Tebow's TD, the Jets ran eight plays in an attempt to pull out the game. After Sanchez's TD, the Bills ran -- you guessed it -- eight plays.

Weird, right?

THE GAME-WINNING TD

The Bills were conservative with their pass rush for most of the game, sending four or fewer rushers on 78 percent of Sanchez's dropbacks, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But they got creative on the final drive. As G Matt Slauson said, it was "the kitchen sink." Indeed, the Bills brought heat on Sanchez's TD pass to Holmes.

The Bills rushed six, overloading to Sanchez's blindside. The unsung hero on this play was RB Shonn Greene, who stayed in to pick up the backside blitz. Greene, who received extended playing time in the "nickel" role, took out two defenders. He delivered a punishing block on S Jairus Byrd, and the two of them fell to the ground. In the process, it tripped up LB Nick Barnett, who was about to come clean on a blitz.

Sanchez, sensing the pressure, scrambled to his right and made a terrific, on-the-run throw to Holmes in the corner of the end zone -- a perfectly executed scramble drill. In those situations, receivers are told to flow with the quarterback, and Holmes did just that.

BURRESS: THE CATCH

Moments before the game-winning TD, Burress made the play of the year, skying to haul in a third-down Sanchez pass that appeared headed for the first row. A few thoughts about this play other than the obvious athleticism displayed by Burress:

RB Joe McKnight did a nice job of picking up the blitzing cornerback. Sanchez made a good pre-snap read, recognizing the upcoming blitz. He knew Burress would be matched against a safety. In this case, it was Byrd, who if you recall, intercepted Sanchez in the end zone in the previous meeting. This time, Sanchez won the battle.

Sanchez was hurried and threw off his back foot because a blitzing safety, Bryan Scott, blew past LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson and was coming hard, his arms extended. Burress did the rest, making the play that probably saved the Jets' season.

OH, THE AGITA

The Jets' defense was unusually conservative on the Bills' desperation drive. In fact, they rushed three or fewer players on seven of the eight snaps. The exception was a four-man rush (S Eric Smith on a blitz), flushing QB Ryan Fitzpatrick from the pocket for a three-yard gain. On the final two plays, the Jets actually rushed only two, with one player remaining to "spy" Fitzpatrick.

It was a radical departure from the approach in Denver, where the Jets sent an all-out pressure on Tebow's TD. Different QBs, different strategy, I suppose. But make no mistake, the Jets caught some huge breaks. Check it out:

• Second-and-13, Jets 47 (:35) -- A wide-open Johnson dropped a pass at the 25, in the middle of the field. He might have scored because, even though S Jim Leonhard was nearby, it would've been a tough, open-field tackle because Johnson was on the run and would've had a good angle toward the end zone. Could you imagine what that TD celebration would've looked like?

• Second-and-7, Jets 24 (:15) -- Incredibly, the Jets left Johnson open in the end zone. S Brodney Pool was in a deep zone and, for some reason, moved away from Johnson. It should've been a TD, but Fitzpatrick, on the run, made an off-target throw. Johnson got a hand on it, but it would've been a difficult catch.

• Fourth-and-7, Jets 24 (:02) -- Once again, Johnson was open in the end zone, this time on a post route. Johnson had a couple of steps on Leonhard. Once again, Fitzpatrick misfired, his throw sailing over Johnson's head. All the Bills needed was one accurate throw out of Fitzpatrick, and he failed to deliver.

The Jets dodged a few bullets -- imaginary bullets in Johnson's warped world.

fifthdown_post.png

November 28, 2011, 1:52 pm

For the Jets, a Victory That Exposed Some Weaknesses

By BEN SHPIGEL

29pace-blog480.jpgRay Stubblebine/ReutersCalvin Pace of the Jets playing against Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Bills on Sunday.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – The Jets defended the Bills’ final drive Sunday – the one that stalled at the Jets’ 24, after three straight incompletions – with zone coverage. Or, as Darrelle Revis put it, the “don’t let them in the end zone” strategy.

And still, it almost wasn’t enough to preserve the Jets’ 28-24 lead – almost. The more and more I watch the replay of Stevie Johnson’s crucial drop, the more I’m convinced that he would have scored. Even though Revis said “he’s not that fast to score,” it appeared that Johnson, who dropped Ryan Fitzpatrick’s pass at the Jets’ 25, could have split Brodney Pool and Jim Leonhard.

“That was pretty stupid on our part to leave him open,” linebacker Calvin Pace said.

Not to restate the obvious, but Pace was frustrated – very frustrated – with the Jets’ overall performance Sunday. Their special teams sputtered again. Mark Sanchez threw into double-coverage on his interception, which led to a Buffalo touchdown, and nearly had a few other passes picked off.

Most culpable, Pace said, was their defense. Aside from Aaron Maybin, who had two sacks against his former team, the Jets struggled to put pressure on Fitzpatrick. The Bills controlled the line of scrimmage, holding the ball for 36 minutes 11 seconds.

The Jets yielded three touchdown passes and nearly a fourth – twice.

Had the next pass from Fitzpatrick sailed about six inches closer toward Johnson in the end zone, the Bills might have scored there, too. Pool lost Johnson, looking at Revis as Johnson broke past him.

The Jets talked about not surrendering leads, about closing out games, in the wake of the Nov. 17 debacle in Denver. They did, barely. As Rex Ryan said, “It might not have been the prettiest thing, but we did finish.”

What the Jets truly care about is finishing among the A.F.C.’s top six teams. Did their victory Sunday inspire confidence that they can play well enough over the next five games to have a chance of reaching the postseason?

AFC East Power Rankings preview

November, 28, 2011

Nov 28

2:30

PM ET

By James Walker

Week 12 saw a little bit of everything in the AFC East in Week 12. We had close games, excitement and controversy.

Here is how the results could impact Tuesday's NFL Power Rankings:

nwe.gifNew England Patriots (8-3)

Last week: No. 6

Result: W, 38-20 against Philadelphia

Analysis: The Patriots are cruising. They picked up another convincing win and have the AFC East in the bag. The only question now is can New England stay hot to secure home-field advantage throughout the playoffs? Despite the win, New England may stay put this week. The San Francisco 49ers (9-2) are the only team ahead of the Patriots to lose.

Projected vote: No. 4-6

nyj.gifNew York Jets (6-5)

Last week: No. 15

Result: W, 28-24 against Buffalo

Analysis: The Jets picked up a must-win game after some fourth-quarter heroics from starting quarterback Mark Sanchez. It wasn’t an impressive win by any means. But any win in November and December helps New York, which doesn’t have many strikes left to make the playoffs. I don’t expect beating Buffalo to move the Jets up far. They have to string together more wins to impress our panel.

Projected vote: No. 12-14

buf.gifBuffalo Bills (5-6)

Last week: No. 19

Result: L, 28-24 against New York

Analysis: The Bills will continue to slide down ESPN’s Power Rankings after losing their season-high fourth consecutive game. Buffalo’s playoff chances virtually ended Sunday. But I did like the Bills’ effort in this game after getting blown out in back-to-back weeks. I’m curious to see if this Buffalo team shows up the rest of the season.

Projected vote: No. 20-22

mia.gifMiami Dolphins (3-8)

Last week: No. 25

Result: L, 20-19 against Dallas

Analysis: Miami has a chance to move up slightly following its competitive loss to the heavily favored Dallas Cowboys. The Dolphins outplayed Dallas on the road for three quarters before blowing a pair of leads late in the game. It was a game effort for Miami, which had its three-game winning streak snapped. The Dolphins are a dangerous team down the stretch for playoff hopefuls.

Projected vote: No. 23-25

Monday, November 28, 2011

Peyton & Jets a Perfect Match

It’s time to ask Jets’ fans a tough question… How bad do you want to win? How much would you give up for a Super Bowl? How much should Rex and Tannenbaum give up to make good on some of these guarantees?

These questions become real now that the Jets sit at 6-5 and in the thick of a wildcard race. Mark Sanchez is coming off of a career high four-touchdown game and it was possibly the worst four-touchdown performance of the past decade. The Jets never looked in control of that game and Sanchez himself gave the Bills points with bad throws and a bone headed turnover.

rex-ryan-1-copy.jpg

There’s still plenty of time in the season and the Jets’ could heat up and win a championship from a wild card spot, but there is a better chance of the team being led by Tim Tebow having that run than Sanchez’s Jets. So let's fast-forward to the New York Jets offseason, one that sees Rex Ryan once again not living up to a championship guarantee, and revisit some of our initial questions.

How bad do Jets’ fans want a Lombardi trophy?

This is how the Jets win a championship in the next three seasons. The first call Mike Tannenbaum should place this offseason should be to the Colts front office. The Colts informed Peyton Manning that they will draft a QB #1 overall in this upcoming draft. Peyton has 2-3 years left in his career and he won’t stay in Indianapolis to be a lame duck QB.

The Offer: Jets trade a 2012 1st & 3rd round pick, a conditional 2nd round pick (that could be a 1st if they win an AFC title) in 2013, and emerging corner Kyle Wilson to the Colts for Peyton Manning.

We have already established Peyton Manning will not want to stay in Indy, so what are the Colts other options? San Fran, Miami, Washington, Seattle, and KC are the other options for Peyton. The Colts won’t send him to a non-contender out of sheer respect for Peyton, so that eliminates Seattle, Wash, KC, and Miami. San Francisco sounds like a great fit for Peyton and they have a winnable division, but head coach Jim Harbaugh likes to have control of the offense and it would be hard to imagine him relinquishing that to a veteran like Manning. If there is one thing Jim Harbaugh’s known for it is his ego. Alex Smith could win 13 games this season for the Niners and make a playoff push, which would make him quite difficult to discard.

The Jets would be the perfect fit for both team and player. Peyton’s trade value is over inflated because of the Raiders possibly giving up two 1st round picks for Palmer, but it’s more than worth price.

Rex could keep Schotty as O.C. and just let Peyton have full control of the offense. Peyton would be the de facto offensive coordinator calling plays from the line of scrimmage.

m.jpg

Future free agent Plaxico Burress seems to really be hitting his stride and should return to the Jets next season. That would give Peyton Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Dustin Keller, and Jeremy Kerley in the slot. Not to mention two all pro offensive lineman, a Shonn Greene & Joe McKnight running attack, and a top 10 NFL defense.

The Jets could use their 2nd and 4th round picks to draft a safety and pass rusher to add to their already stellar defense. Be for we move on ask yourself this, when was the last time Peyton had a top 10 defense?

The final part of the puzzle brings us to Mark Sanchez. He isn’t going to be happy being a back up quarterback and his contract is too high to keep on the cap.

The Offer: Mark Sanchez to Seattle for their 2012 4th round pick and their 2013 6th round pick.

Mark Sanchez and Pete Carroll seemed to have left off on a sour note at USC, but it was more of a result of Carroll wanting to keep him their for one last hoorah than Mark not being ready for the NFL. Immediately Sanchez would become the best QB in the NFC West division or at least the most accomplished.

Peyton and Rex would be the perfect pair. New York’s Bert & Ernie, Seinfeld & Costanza… Regis & Kelly!

In all seriousness they will both be looking at a short window of opportunity to win a championship and in a down AFC they could be the only team with both a top 5 offense/defense.

A 2014 “Manning Bowl” Super Bowl would be a sight to see wouldn’t it?!?!?

Archived