Logic that's making me feel better about these picks...

JetFanatic

Okay, so the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft is complete and Jet fans aren't happy.  At first, as they drafted Dee Milliner with their first pick I moaned and groaned with the rest of them.  Then when they picked Sheldon Richardson I started tying the noose and calling my friends and family to say my goodbyes.  Then I sat, thought about it, and researched our newly drafted players and let me tell you, I'm pretty fired up now.

Dee Milliner is a stud.  Has he had five surgery's?  Yes.  Any player in the NFL is capable of getting hurt on any given play so to be honest his surgery's don't concern me.  What I do know is that we drafted arguably the best defensive player in the draft at #9.  Think about it, our defense was still pretty good even without Revis when Cromartie was holding down the fort as our #1 CB.  Now we get to plug in the best CB in the draft and immediately line him up opposite Cromartie which also puts Kyle Wilson back into the nickel position where I actually feel more comfortable with him playing.  The Patriots are going to be drafting one possibly two WR's, they still have Gronkowski and Hernandez along with possibly having a new young and really talented WR via the draft so trust me it doesn't hurt to have another stud CB in our secondary.  I watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuHWgeEjIrg YouTube video along with countless others on Dee Milliner and let me tell you I've watched every single NFL game that Revis has played in and this kid blankets receivers a lot like our former Chosen One used to.  I'm not saying he's going to be Revis, he may never even sniff Revis' talent, but watching these highlights made me feel a LOT better.  This kid can ball guys.  He's not afraid to get in there and tackle either, he's really physical for his position.  Everyone seems to be aware that this is becoming a passing league so why are there so many people questioning the drafting of the best CB in the draft with our top pick?  Does it fill a position of immediate need?  No, but I have faith in Idzik that he's fully aware that our offense needs work and I'm positive that our offense will be addressed.  This player at that spot simply just couldn't be passed up.

Sheldon Richardson wasn't even on my radar to be honest.  I had no clue who he was.  I saw a no name get drafted at #13 by us and went into immediate depression.  I had NO clue as to why they would draft ANOTHER defensive lineman.  Then I did a little homework.  I looked up several NFL draft prospect lists and this kid was consistently in the top 15 and I see why.  From what I've read he's extremely versatile as he can play both inside and outside on the line.  In Missouri, they even had him stand up and rush the passer and he played Tight End in high school.  It turns out in 2009 he was the fourth ranked recruit in the nation ranked ahead of players like Trent Richardson, Matt Barkley, and Manti Te'o.  And a gentleman by the name of Dan Shonka who seems to be affiliated with 'Ourlads' and also seems to be pretty well respected said that he went back and watched a 7 game SEC comparison with Shariff Floyd and Sheldon Richardson and Richardson COMPLETELY outplays Floyd in every game.

Additionally, I watched this 

video on Sheldon Richardson which I liked because it pointed out the good along with the bad.  I'm going back to the Patriots again because we do play them twice a year and we will eventually have to go through them to win the AFC East title and when teams get pressure up the middle against Brady he seems to falter.  There's no mistake about that.  Watching that YouTube video all I saw was a player in Richardson who was CONSTANTLY in the backfield wreaking havoc.  The kid can play and he will produce.  He's arguably the best lineman in this draft and I really feel he'll add to this team.  Think about this, when we go 4-3 our line is now going to consist of Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis, and now Richardson.  Just wait.

I know the offense wasn't addressed.  I don't mind them going defense with these first two picks.  Only because I now also feel like these were two kids who we couldn't pass up on given where they fell to. Our defense is shaping up to be scary good if they pan out and if we pick up a sleeper OLB later in this draft and there are some OLB's who if drafted can and will produce for us.  I'm certain that offense will be addressed with our 2nd round pick.  I'm personally praying for offensive line help at this spot, but we'll see.  If we can grab an Olineman in the 2nd round and maybe grab a talented TE in the 3rd along with a Safety with our 4th and grab a RB with our 5th I think we'll be in better shape than most think.  

If you guys aren't comfortable clicking those links you can just go to Youtube and search 'Ultimate Dee Milliner/Sheldon Richardson Highlights' I think it'll make everyone feel at least a little better.  It did for me. 

Archived