Jets Hoping Dawan Can Fill in For Brother

flgreen

NY Jets hoping Dawan Landry can fill in for brother, LaRon, and serve as a leader for young safeties

Who ends up starting with Landry is anyone's guess between Josh Bush and Antonio Allen, however. While all the attention rightfully is placed on the quarterback competition, there is very little that separates the two sophomore safeties hoping to be a starter.

By Seth Walder  / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 6:53 PM.

Safety Dawan Landry joins the Jets after spending six seasons with the Ravens.

Jets defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman remembers a young, first year Dawan Landry sitting in meetings when they were both Ravens, four or five seats away from fellow safety Ed Reed. Reed, a fith-year player, decided that needed to change. "And Ed (said) 'No, come here.' And he made him sit right next to him," Thurman recalls. "And their communication started in the meeting room, carried over into walkthroughs and then out on to the practice field."

Landry recalls Reed showing him the ropes back in 2006, teaching him the ins and outs of the Rex Ryan defense. "He would just pull me to the side all the time, I would watch film with him lots of times. Him and Ray Lewis," Landry told the Daily News. "Those guys were real valuable for my success in my early years."

Now, that's a role he wants to fill for some of the younger Jets. Gang Green replaced both its starting safeties, again, during the offseason when Yeremiah Bell left for Arizona and Dawan Landry's brother LaRon cashed in with Indianapolis. With Dawan Landry in one starting safety spot, the second job is being battled for by Antonio Allen and Josh Bush, two 2012 late-round draft picks. Landry hopes that he can be for them what Ed Reed was for him.

"One of the first days in meetings, Rex asked him a question. And he hadn't played for Rex for ... years. He asked him a question, and I had to think about it, and it was something we did last year, and he knew the answer like this," said Josh Bush as he snapped his fingers. "So I was like boom, that's the guy you need to hang around."

Antonio Allen is in the mix for one of the starting safety spots on the Jets.

"He's been a good leader," said Allen. "We call him O.G. because he's a vet." O.G., as it turns out, stands for "old guy."

Added Allen, "Anything I get confused with on the field, with the plays, I go straight to Dawan and ask him, how do we do this?"

Thurman called Landry the "quarterback of the secondary" and has noticed the younger safeties looking up to him. "It's so obvious to the other players that he knows the system, that he knows what he's doing, that they're all listening to him," the coordinator said.

Who ends up starting with Landry is anyone's guess between Bush and Allen, however. While all the attention rightfully is placed on the quarterback competition, there is very little that separates the two sophomore safeties hoping to be a starter.

Josh Bush is praised by Dawan Landry for being a cerebral defensive back.
Robert Sabo/New York Daily News

Josh Bush is praised by Dawan Landry for being a cerebral defensive back.

"Antonio, he's a gifted athlete. Very special, long rangy guy. Can make a lot of plays," Landry said. "Josh, he reminds me of myself. He's real cerebral. He's very vocal."

Thurman said there is no clear-cut leader between the two. He'd be thrilled if they turned out to be as mentally capable as Landry was in his rookie season. A quarter of the way through that first year, Thurman said, they would make Landry the play-caller during two-minute drills in practice. Landry responded, and Thurman said it contributed to his understanding of the defense.

Thurman didn't seem to bank on Allen or Bush being quite at that level as quickly as Landry was.

"They'll have to speed it up mentally if we're going to give them that," Thurman said. "Dawan had picked it up and he had shown us up to that point that he could handle the responsibilities mentally of being able to do that."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-hope-landry-lead-young-safeties-article-1.1358026#ixzz2UmsEoOkl

Archived