Playing-time breakdown: Jets vs. Giants

August, 25, 2013

Aug 25

11:59

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Snap counts from Saturday night:

OFFENSE (based on 81 total)

Quarterback: Geno Smith 55; Matt Simms 17; Mark Sanchez 9.

Running back: Bilal Powell 32, Tommy Bohanon 26, Chris Ivory 19, Kahlil Bell 16, Mossis Madu 14.

Wide receiver: Stephen Hill 53, Ryan Spadola 46, Jeremy Kerley 45, Mohamed Massaquoi 19, Ben Obomanu 15, Zack Rogers 9, Michael Campbell 9, Joseph Collins 7, Clyde Gates 3.

Tight end: Jeff Cumberland 26, Kellen Winslow 25, Chris Pantale 20, Konrad Reuland 12, Hayden Smith 3.

Offensive line: Brian Winters 60, D'Brickashaw Ferguson 55, Willie Colon 55, Austin Howard 55, Nick Mangold 55, J.B. Shugarts 26, Oday Aboushi 26, Caleb Schlauderaff 26, Stephen Peterman 26, Vladimir Ducasse 21.

Takeaway: Sanchez, Gates and Ducasse were limited by injuries. ... OC Marty Mornhinweg wanted to feature the wideouts in this league. At times, they lined up in a two-back, three-receiver package, with no tight ends. They also used one-back, four-wide at times. ... Joe McKnight, who said he expected to play, did not. ... Winters made his preseason debut and got almost a full night's work, replacing Ducasse. ... Massaquoi made his Jets debut. ... Newly-signed OT Jason Smith didn't play.

DEFENSE (based on 80 snaps)

Defensive line: Leger Douzable 48, Muhammad Wilkerson 37, Damon Harrison 32, Tevita Finau 32, Sheldon Richardson 28, Antonio Garay 22, Junior Aumavae 16.

Linebacker: Nick Bellore 43, Danny Lansanah 38, Demario Davis 38, David Harris 37, Calvin Pace 34, Garrett McIntyre 33, Ricky Sapp 32, Jacquies Smith 24, Sean Progar-Jackson 16, Troy Davis 12, Antwan Barnes 7, JoJo Dickson 5.

Secondary: Darrin Walls 65, Jaiquawn Jarrett 46, Isaiah Trufant 44, Josh Bush 45, Dawan Landry 37, Kyle Wilson 35, Antonio Allen 35, Royce Adams, 26, Antonio Cromartie 11, Mike Edwards 2.

Takeaway: Richardson and Cromartie were limited by injuries. Walls replaced Cromartie, resulting in his bloated total. ... Curiously, this was a low total for Barnes, who usually has a big role in the sub package. ... DBs Donnie Fletcher, Bret Lockett and Rontez Miles were used exclusively on special teams. Lockett had two tackles.

This will probably be the kind of playing time that we will find in the regular season. 

The ones I found interesting was Spadola with 46 .  Kid was targeted 5 times caught 3 for 110 yards.   and gates only getting 3.  Maybe they just wanted to see what Spadola could do in prime time.  Looked pretty good.

This will probably be the kind of playing time that we will find in the regular season. 

The ones I found interesting was Spadola with 46 .  Kid was targeted 5 times caught 3 for 110 yards.   and gates only getting 3.  Maybe they just wanted to see what Spadola could do in prime time.  Looked pretty good.

I think Gates was hurt.  He supposedly dinged his arm up on the play where Cro blasted Hill.  Was he running back kicks with McKnight out?  I think guys like Massoquoi getting so many reps just means they are trying to get as good a look quick as they can.  Spadola getting all those reps leans towards being on roster.  They wouldn't give him so much time if they wanted to stash him.  Hayden Smith getting none sort of leans towards stashing him.  I thought he'd probably stick because he was a project around all last year and this should be project time, but that looks like PS.  Interested in Panatale getting all those reps over Reuland.   

I think they may play bubble guys more than others. Douzable, Bellore, Walls.  They need to evaluate.  Trufant.  What about Lankster?  Was he hurt? 

Archived