flgreen

Green Day: Rex learns from '09 experience

September, 19, 2013

Sep 19

6:00

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

A morning briefing on news and goings on around the New York Jets:

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- When Jets coach Rex Ryan discusses Geno Smith, it brings back memories of 2009, Mark Sanchez's rookie year.

Ryan's answers sound the same as '09 as he reponds to questions about Smith's "mental clock" in the pocket, the rookie quarterback's decision-making, etc. If Smith struggles for another week or two, you have to wonder if Ryan will break out the old color-coded system, the one he used in '09 to help Sanchez avoid interceptions.

Finally, Ryan was asked if he learned anything as a head coach in '09 that could be applied to Smith's apprenticeship.

"Yeah," Ryan said, "play great defense."

Funny.

"There are some things," he said, turning serious. "There are some specific things that I'm not going to talk about. I'd rather not get into it, but I'll tell you this: Know where the escape points are. Whether it's the escape in the rush, whether it's the escape to the check-down, some of that I think can help."

Bills rookie quarterback EJ Manuel hasn't made nearly as many mistakes as Smith, prompting Ryan to note that Manuel does a nice job of finding his check-down receivers. A subtle message to Smith, perhaps?

ICYMI: Ryan is preparing to face a rookie quarterback, which means he's licking his chops. ... D'Brickashaw Ferguson was fined $15,000 for the fracas in Foxborough. Willie Colon and Nick Mangold are waiting to hear about potential fines. ... Good news on the injury front: Jets wide receiver/returner Jeremy Kerley, coming back from a concussion, was medically cleared to play. His absence was felt at both positions. ... Linebacker Quinton Coples, out four weeks with a fractured ankle that required surgery, returned to practice. Will he play Sunday? The best guess is the Jets will err on the side of caution, giving him another week to heal. ... Bills defensive end Mario Williams finally earned his big paycheck with a team-record 4.5 sacks. The Jets say they will be ready for him.

Archived