Debunking Idzik's perception of Rex

Integrity28

“Frankly, I spend more time with Rex than I do with my wife and my family,” Idzik said during his extended comments to launch the press conference. 

That's nice. Irrelevant, but nice. How has that helped this football team?

“I’ve gotten to know Rex very, very well these last 20 months or so.  And the last time I checked, all the traits that make Rex Ryan our leader, our head coach, are still intact. 

Interestingly enough, so are all the traits that have driven this organization into the ground.

He’s an excellent football mind. 

Nobody would question that Rex knows the game. Knowing the game doesn't make him better at his job, and this implies that he's an excellent all-around football mind, when the fact is, he is one of the most 1-dimensional personalities in the entire league.

He’s a teacher. 

Who is he teaching? Rex's forte is the defensive line, and you could argue that is the position group that has been most coached up under Rex. Except that is Karl Dunbar's job. So who is Rex teaching? 

He’s a coach. 

Yes, that is his job title.

He’s a motivator. 

So are inspirational posters, and right now Rex has one more win on the season than this poster:

motivation.jpg

He’s a mentor. 

To whom? Which coaches have thrived under Rex's mentorship? The closest thing he had to an apprentice was Pettine, and that guy sold him out and split town, because of his incompetence. 

He’s able to adapt. 

To what? He couldn't go on a diet and had to get a lap band. He has spent 6 years losing games after long breaks, wasting time outs, disenfranchised from the offense, etc, etc, etc... the only thing he has adapted to is not promising SB victories, and he's learned how to play the "sad puppy" card, instead of the "bravado" card really well. In other words, he's adapted enough to make excuses and throw people under the bus to save his job.

He sees both short- and long-term vision. 

Yeah, right. That must be why he put Sanchez back in the Snoopy Bowl during the pre-season, which effectively was the Mo Lewis moment that started the Geno era.

He’s a competitor to his soul and he will never quit. 

Who cares. That's why it's someone else's job to fire him... and you.

It comes as no surprise that our players want to play so hard for Rex Ryan and his staff. [it is] no surprise to me.  I support Rex.  I continue to support Rex and our coaching staff.”

It's your funeral, dummy.

Archived