Report: Jets fined $100K for tampering with Darrelle Revis

Jetfan13

6_3573480.jpg(Photo: Robert Deutsch, USA TODAY Sports)

Owner Woody Johnson's comments about cornerback Darrelle Revis in December will cost the organization $100,000, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. The Jets will not surrender any draft picks.

Asked about the All-Pro corner a few days after the regular season ended, Johnson's response was a clear violation of the league's tampering policy. In January, the Patriots, with whom Revis was still under contract, filed a complaint with the NFL.

“Darrelle is a great player, and if I thought I could have gotten Darrelle for [what the Patriots paid], I probably would’ve taken him,” Johnson said in December, via the Boston Herald. “And it was our best judgment to do what we did. Darrelle is a great player. I’d love for Darrelle to come back.”

Fresh off a Super Bowl victory with the Patriots, Revis signed a massive five-year, $70 million deal with New York as a free agent in March. The six-time Pro Bowler started his career with the Jets and evidently wanted to return to his first home.

In a somewhat comical move, the Jets responded by filing a tampering complaint after New England owner Robert Kraft talked about trying to re-sign Revis at last month's owners meetings. Mehta reports the Patriots will not face a penalty for what was probably not a tampering violation to begin with.

Archived