Jets Draft Strategy- New Regime gets it

The Jets clearly have a draft plan. 1st round pick, you take the BPA. And when Williams fell, he was the BPA available by far. Ignoring the Mo Wilk situation, there is no way they were targeting a DL coming into the draft. No chance they were looking to "replace" Mo Wilk. But then Williams fell and they said F-it, he is our man. 

In the later rounds they start picking for need. Smith was not the best WR available when we took him (at least not in my book) but like some have said he fills a specific need. A deep/burner that can stretch the field for Marshall/Decker/Amaro. In terms of guys that can do that in this draft, he was number 1 coming into the draft (slightly ahead of guys like Dorsett and Coates). Now the other aspects of his game are not nearly as good as guys like Cooper or even guys that haven't been drafted yet like Strong, but the Jets won't need him to make big 1st down catches, they need him to make long 80 yard TD plays when teams are spending too much time worrying about the run or guys like Marshall/Decker/Amaro/Kerley.

So i expect our later round picks to continue this trend, like 3rd down back/pass rusher/OL and possibly a project QB. To some this may seem like common sense, but in recent years that is not how this team drafted. 

The Jets clearly have a draft plan. 1st round pick, you take the BPA. And when Williams fell, he was the BPA available by far. Ignoring the Mo Wilk situation, there is no way they were targeting a DL coming into the draft. No chance they were looking to "replace" Mo Wilk. But then Williams fell and they said F-it, he is our man. 

In the later rounds they start picking for need. Smith was not the best WR available when we took him (at least not in my book) but like some have said he fills a specific need. A deep/burner that can stretch the field for Marshall/Decker/Amaro. In terms of guys that can do that in this draft, he was number 1 coming into the draft (slightly ahead of guys like Dorsett and Coates). Now the other aspects of his game are not nearly as good as guys like Cooper or even guys that haven't been drafted yet like Strong, but the Jets won't need him to make big 1st down catches, they need him to make long 80 yard TD plays when teams are spending too much time worrying about the run or guys like Marshall/Decker/Amaro/Kerley.

So i expect our later round picks to continue this trend, like 3rd down back/pass rusher/OL and possibly a project QB. To some this may seem like common sense, but in recent years that is not how this team drafted. 

It is called having a strategic plan....

And I love it!!!!!

Archived