LB Demario Davis ~ ~ ~

kelly

Explaining the Game: LB's Speed Helps Him Catch Travis Benjamin; Dakota Dozier Makes NFL Debut at C

The Jets had a few big plays and a few small plays that all kept them stabilize and then take control Sunday against Cleveland. One of those smaller plays came when Browns WR Travis Benjamin — whose 4.36 in the 40 was tied for the second-fastest time at the 2012 NFL Combine — faked an end-around and took a swing pass off play-action from Johnny Manziel in stride down the left sideline with what appeared to be a clear path to the pylon and a 14-7 first-half lead.

It's possible that either Buster Skrine of Marcus Gilchrist would've knocked Benjamin out at the 1-yard line, but they didn't have to because LB Demario Davis, who thought he was going to be making a vise tackle at the line, found himself in a short footrace to get to Benjamin and nudge him out at the 9 after a 15-yard gain. The Browns settled for a field goal, their last score of the game.

I asked Demario about his speed — he had a 4.61 time at that same combine, fourth among LBs.

"That's a thing I take pride in is my speed, and I think it shows up on film in a lot of different situations, whether it's getting pressure on the quarterback or getting to a zone or sideline to sideline on runs, plays like that. I'm constantly working on my speed to be able to play fast."

What does he do in-season to work on his speed ?

"In practice I just take pride in trying to run to the ball every play. Everywhere the ball goes, I'm trying to run there and at least touch the guy or show that I can be in position for the tackle, always running."

And in the offseason ?

"I'm always running in the offseason, not just at the facility but on my own. I run a lot of miles around the neighborhood near the facility. I've got a park that's about a half-mile or a mile away, so you can run to the park, run around it a bit, then come back, just to do a little extra running."

rest of above article :

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Demario-Davis-Comes-Out-of-the-Gate-Flying/8ce7b1e3-22f8-4490-ac46-efa19df42230

Archived