Revis I'll be ready by Sunday

joewilly12

FLORHAM PARK — Darrelle Revis continues to progress in his recovery from a concussion, but the most positive sign for him and the Jets came Thursday, when he returned to practice on a limited basis and declared he'd be able to play against the Titans at MetLife Stadium.

"I'll be ready by Sunday," Revis said.

READ: The NFL's concussion protocol

It's been 18 days since Revis, the Jets' star cornerback, sustained a concussion during a game at the Texans. Brain injuries affect different people differently, and Revis wasn't able to even attend meetings until last Friday. He missed the Jets last two games—victories against the Dolphins and Giants—and he finally returned to practice on Wednesday, but only to do some light physical activity on the side.

The NFL has a protocol that mandates how a player's recovery from a concussion must be handled. That Revis was able to partake in practice on a limited basis Thursday—while donning a red, no-contact jersey—was an indication he's progressing under the terms of those guidelines, which include a daily evaluation from a neurologist who is not affiliated with the team.

"He's still got to be cleared [Friday] by doctors," head coach Todd Bowles said. "I was happy with the progress [Thursday]. I need to see a little more [Friday]."

Added Revis: "I think I'll pass that and move forward from there."

Darrelle Revis practicing again 12/10/15(Video by Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

Revis said he had spent the last two-and-a-half weeks resting and following the orders of the doctors and trainers so his brain could heal.

"You can't play around with these things," Revis said. "These are serious. It's a blow to your head, You've definitely got to follow protocol."

MORE: What must happen for Revis to get cleared

MORE: What must happen for Revis to get cleared

The concussion protocol, explained.

Revis was injured while tackling Texans running back Akeem Hunt in the third quarter on Nov. 22.

"This is what we signed up for," Revis said. "But at the same time, if you have an injury or a blow to the head, you've just got to follow protocol."

Archived