Jalin Marshall aims to impress Ryan Fitzpatrick, make Jets' roster

Gas2No99

15 hours ago, Xtina said:

Kenbrell Thompkins a near lock for the 4th spot? That seems very optimistic. He made a few catches last year, had a very significant impactful drop in the week 17, I haven't heard anything particularly impressive about him in camp so far (though I mayhave missed it). I would think that spot would be more up for grabs. 

Yeah I agree. Thompkins doesn't have a stranglehold on a roster spot. He'd only make the team at best as 3rd on the depth chart, and is merely tagged for 1 year at $1.7M, and zero of it's guaranteed. Remember, he was tagged before kids like Marshall or Peake were obtained. 

He has to outplay these kids. Especially since the team doesn't need to pencil him in as starter or much-needed veteran leadership or anything. Far from it. 

Guys who would likely see the field ahead of Thompkins, on any given passing down, include Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Amaro, and either RB. That's already 5 pass catchers, with the potential mismatches of two who can line up at TE. If the kids still look good in a couple weeks, and everyone else is healthy, I'd say Thompkins has to worry about pricing himself out of a roster spot.

The thing that would best help him - other than letdown Augusts from the new kids - is Gailey wanting to keep Decker inside more, even with the return of Amaro, and neither Enunwa nor Amaro seem ideal to line up outside with Decker in the slot; Thompkins is better suited for that role. Then again, if that 3rd WR is just going to clear out space as a decoy and hopefully take a safety with him, just to throw it his way 1-2x/game to keep the D "honest" (ugh), we probably don't need Thompkins for that role. Not to mention Smith should be returning by midseason as well, for what that's worth.

Archived