"Heidi" Anyone?

ASH1962

First of all I want to apologize to everyone here for my starting that dumba$$ thread last night ("F This Team"). I have been wrapped up with this Franchise since the late 60's and am classically conditioned to lose due to our long litany of frustrations. I am not, however, classically conditioned to witness the offensive display we saw last night. I have to admit, I never expected 37 points, 500 yards, and big mouth to get slapped all over Rich Stadium or whatever they call that place.

Why "Heidi" you ask? Well for those who do not know or remember, the Heidi Game was an American Football League (AFL) game played on November 17, 1968 between the Oakland Raiders and the visiting, soon to be SB Champion New York Jets. The game was notable for its finish, in which Oakland scored two touchdowns in the final minute to win the game 43– 32. The NY audience did not get to see the Raiders score the 2 TD's in the final minute to send the Jets home losers when they were way ahead as NBC, (who was vilified) terminated the game coverage to show the movie "Heidi". Now last nights game was not terminated to show another program, but our 20-7 lead turned into a 24-20 deficit so quickly and so bizarrely that it reminded me of that fateful game 48 years ago. Typical SOJ fan, I know I am. When you bleed green for so many years it hurts so damned badly to lose. The worst feeling in the world is to have to wake up to go to work after the Jets lose. I HATE THAT LOL. Waking up today was easy. Today is a great day.

Report cards for last nights game IMO:

Offense: A Jalin's fumble was the only blemish on a dominant performance which would have gained an A+ otherwise. Kudos to out entire OL, WR corps, Matt Forte the beast and our QB who in my opinion, had the best game a Jet QB has had possibly in over 10 years last night. He was absolutely Brady like, cutting Wrecks and Robbies defense with surgical precision like a Thanksgiving Turkey. When was the last time a Jet QB threw for 400 yards on a game? Vinny T? Did Chad ever do that? I cannot recall.

Defense: C- Too many wide open receivers running all over the place. No pass rush at all last night and having a hard time getting stops, similar to last week although against an inferior (to Cin) opponent last night. That drive at the end of the first half again this week drove me nuts.

ST's: B Still too much yardage on opponents KR/PR but thankfully our "Folk Hero" seems to have returned with a flawless kicking performance.

Coaching: This is a tough one as we schooled big mouth and his pet monkey, but I will go with a C because of the failure to go for 2 at the end of the game. I know this is maybe nit picking, but that really could have resulted in a devastating loss had they recovered the onside kick. We were not stopping them again had they recovered.

So on to KC with a much different mindset I believe. We have a chance to be something really special this year if our D can ever get their collective $hit together.

ASH

Archived