New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 11.4

Maxman

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 11.4

On the injury report…

Bruce Carter did not practice. He’s out. Darron Lee did not practice. He’s out. Kellen Davis did not practice. He’s out. Nick Mangold did not practice. He’s doubtful. Brent Qvale (and) Ryan Clady did not practice. Ryan Clady is questionable. Brent Qvale is doubtful. Muhammad Wilkerson was limited. He’s questionable. Brandon Shell was limited with a shoulder. He’s questionable. Breno Giacomini was limited. He’s questionable.

On Giacomini’s injury…

It’s his shoulder.

On if Clady will play on Sunday…

We’ll see on Sunday. I think Breno’s doing more than Ryan’s doing right now.

On how Shell got injured…

(He) hurt his shoulder during the team period.

On how he feels about C.J. Spiller…

He picked it up. He moves around pretty good. We’re not tackling, so it’s a little hard to get a true progression on him. He’s a pro. He’s ready to play if we need him to play.

On what he sees from the Miami Dolphin’s defensive line…

Penetrating, tough, fast, strong, and athletic. You get the whole gamut. Run game and pass game. They’ve got four guys that can do it.

On how Ndamukong Suh has played this season…

I don’t think he’s changed at all. He’s got a lot more help this year. I don’t think he’s changed at all. He plays the same way. He’s aggressive. He’s tough and he’s strong.

On how Clady has played this year…

He’s played tough. He battles. He has some games where he got overpowered a little bit, but he’s more than held up his share of the bargain. Obviously he’s been nicked up a little bit here and there. I thought he’s done a courageous job.

On if he believes Clady has given up a lot of pressure…

I haven’t seen that. I mean he’s given up some pressures here or there, but nobody is sacking the quarterback. He’s in front of his man. He’s doing his job.

On how much he thinks Clady’s shoulder has affected his play…

He’s tough. If he can play, he’s going to play, I’m pretty sure. Quietly, he’s not saying anything.

On Wesley Johnson…

Wes stepped in and did a great job while Nick (Mangold) is out. We already knew he was smart, he was tough. Leader on the field, he learned a lot from Mangold, and he’s been doing a good job for us.

On the correlation between running the football and winning this season…

It helps us to run the football. We don’t want to be one dimensional. If we can run the football and throw when you want to, that opens up a lot of things. So the last two games we’ve been able to get that going. So that helps all the way around.

On how Matt Forté has been…

He’s running good. I mean, him and Bilal (Powell) been doing a good job. The line’s been blocking, so we had two weeks. So we’re just going to try to continue that.

On thinking Forté would be more involved in the pass game when bringing him in…

Bilal’s been coming in. It’s been more a schematic. Matt’s been getting the bulk of the runs and when Bilal comes in, it opens up a little more. He’s been getting some of the passes. Not that Matt couldn’t, but then we would over work him there. So Bilal gets a lot of plays as well. It’s just a matter of timing. I mean he’ll get his catches. Between the two of them, they have some catches. It’s just the position that we’re worried about, not the player.

On Johnson anticipating facing Suh often in this game…

Well Suh, he’s going to get a lot of everybody. They’ll line him up in there sometimes. He’s just got to be ready to play.

On what stood out to him in how Johnson played last week…

Just his toughness and his leadership role on the field. The center has to command a lot from a vocal stand point and he did that very well.

On changing anything the offense did with Johnson playing…

No.

On the secondary being last in the league in passing defense, and if that bothers him…

Yeah, we’re last in the league.

On taking that personally…

I take everything personally. I’m the head coach. So whether it’s the secondary, running game, or anything else, I take it personally.

On one thing he points too with the secondary that’s causing problems…

It’s not one thing to point to. It’s just not playing well enough. You got to play a lot better.

On his reaction to the Patriots trading Jamie Collins…

I don’t have one.

On liking that the Patriots traded Collins out of the division…

It doesn’t concern us, I don’t care.

On if the pass rush needs to improve to help out the secondary…

Sometimes it does. Sometimes the pass rush can help the secondary, sometimes the secondary can help the pass rush. It all ties together.

Archived