Jets GM positive about moves made during free agency

Smizzy

Jets GM positive about moves made during free agency

Associated Press

Thu, Mar 23, 2006

NEW YORK -- Now that the Jets have two first-round picks, they might consider using them to make a trade in the draft next month.

Though general manager Mike Tannenbaum wouldn`t discuss the team`s strategy heading into the draft, he said the organization has added flexibility with two No. 1s. The Jets have the No. 4 overall pick and acquired the No. 29 selection from Atlanta in exchange for Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham.

``Having flexibility, there are some scenarios that are out there,`` Tannenbaum said Wednesday on a conference call. ``Similar to previous drafts, we`ll see what opportunities are presented to ourselves. We can package them and move up or we can move back if we feel that`s appropriate.``

Speculation has centered around the Jets making a deal with New Orleans to move up to the No. 2 spot and take Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart. Even though the Jets traded for Patrick Ramsey to challenge Chad Pennington for the starting job, the Jets might want to draft a franchise quarterback to pilot the team for the future.

Ramsey only has one year left on his contract, and Pennington is up in the air because he is coming off his second major operation on his right shoulder.

``There`s a lot of speculation out there,`` Tannenbaum said. ``Our college scouts have done a great job of evaluating a lot of these players. We`ll be prepared when the draft arrives. We`ve looked at some scenarios already.``

Pennington is back at the team`s practice facility in Hempstead, participating in the offseason program. Tannenbaum said the Jets have 100 percent participation from every player under contract. Pennington had been rehabbing in Sarasota, Fla., but vowed to return to New York for the program.

Though Tannenbaum didn`t say whether Pennington was throwing, the quarterback said March 5 he had already begun tossing the football.

The Abraham deal was made official Wednesday after the league approved it. Atlanta and Denver swapped No. 1 picks so the Falcons could get their man. Tannenbaum said he was sorry to see Abraham go, but was happy with the deal.

Abraham wanted out because the team refused to give him a long-term deal, instead placing the franchise tag on him for the second straight year. The Jets didn`t want to pay him the money he wanted because he has a history of getting hurt and were satisfied with placing the one-year, $8.33 million tag on him.

He also was arrested for drunken driving in 2003, causing the team to question his character.

``If they`re living in the past, they`re living in the past,`` Abraham said on a conference call from Atlanta. ``That`s all you can say. We`re trying to worry about the present and the future. To keep talking about it my whole career ... if they want to live with that situation, it`s fine with me. I`m moving on. I`m happy with where I`m at, I can`t get mad at anything right now.``

The Jets now have an additional $8.33 million on the salary cap because Abraham is gone. But they haven`t made a huge splash during free agency. Aside from getting Ramsey, the Jets have signed linebacker Matt Chatham, defensive lineman Kimo von Oelhoffen and receiver/kick returner Tim Dwight.

Archived