Camp Mangini a rough one

Smizzy

Camp Mangini a rough one

Monday, July 31, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Whenever a player has brain-locked in training camp, Jets coach Eric Mangini seldom utters a word. He just stares a dagger at the guilty player or players and they set out on their punishment: a lap around the field.

"If you're doing something that's going to hurt the team, then go somewhere else," Mangini said. "Go around the field and think about it."

The lap is more symbolic than anything else, but the message is clear: Mistakes simply won't be tolerated.

Camp Mangini has been open for just five practices, but already the young coach is getting impatient. His team had a sluggish and sloppy practice in what amounted to an outdoor sauna on Saturday afternoon but he wasn't interested in hearing any excuses.

"The heat is a good thing," Mangini said yesterday morning between practices, trying unsuccessfully to mask his anger. "I hope we get a lot of heat because, as I've told the players, they have got to learn to play in all the different elements."

Despite the heat, Mangini put his team through a two-hour, 45-minute marathon session.

Conversely, in a similar scenario, former coach Herman Edwards was known to cut the practice short or allow his players to take off their pads mid-way through. Edwards, the consummate players' coach, had a unique and effective style.

Mangini, only 35, is the polar opposite, and training camp is providing the first glimpse of their contrast in styles.

Mangini, who set the tone for camp by putting veteran WR Justin McCareins on the physically-unable-to-perform list for failing his conditioning run and calling him out publicly, is a silent taskmaster who rules by fear despite his baby-face.

Players know Mangini means business and doesn't play favorites. Veterans are on notice that no job is safe. Edwards played favorites and held spots for veterans.

Sweet,sweet music to my ears. Mangini is my MOFO!

Archived