Tatum Bell not happy with Denver now

faba

broncos notes

Tatum Bell upset about depth chart

No. 2 back says staff doesn't trust him to carry bigger load

By Bill Williamson

Denver Post Staff Writer

Tatum Bell believes he has been pigeonholed, but the Broncos running back is determined not to allow Monday's stunning promotion of undrafted rookie Mike Bell to deter him.

"The coaching staff thinks I'm just a 10-, 15-carry back," Tatum Bell said Tuesday. "I don't know if they think I can be anything more. ... I don't think they trust me. I've been doing everything I can in this camp to earn that trust and I will continue to do so."

He went into training camp No. 2 behind Ron Dayne on the depth chart. But coach Mike Shanahan has moved Mike Bell to No. 1 and named him the starter for Friday night's preseason opener at Detroit. Tatum Bell, a second-round pick in 2004, remains No. 2. Dayne slid to No. 3.

General manager Ted Sundquist Bell, right, wants a bigger role than 10 to 15 carries a game. But the veteran tailback, a former secondround pick, will go into the Broncos' preseason opener Friday playing behind undrafted rookie Mike Bell. (isagreed with Tatum Bell's interpretation of the situation.

"I don't think it is a case of we don't trust Tatum," Sundquist said. "We like Tatum. We wouldn't have invested a second-round pick in him if we didn't think he fit our system or would work well in what we do. ... This thing is far from over."

Tatum Bell said his biggest battle will be trying to prove he can contribute as the primary back. He has been used mostly as a change-of-pace back.

"I want to be that 25-carry guy," he said. "I guess it's my job to go out and prove it. ... I was hurt by this, but I'm not a crybaby. I'll go out and fight and try to change their minds. But I also see what they see in Mike Bell. He's running hard. I'm not taking anything away from him. But it's my job to push him."

Before the comments by Tatum Bell, Shanahan said he is having a strong camp and there will be a place in the Broncos' offense for the player who had 921 yards and eight touchdowns on 173 carries last season in 15 games.

"Tatum is working very hard," Shanahan said.

Brown down for now Because the inflammation in Courtney Brown's repaired knee continues, there is a strong chance the starting defensive end will miss the entire preseason for the second consecutive year. A shoulder injury shelved Brown in the preseason last year. He will be further examined this week to determine the extent of his injury and could have minor knee surgery. However, the team remains confident Brown will not be out a significant

Archived