ESPN Radio is reporting....

toon88

that the Isles traded 2 of their top prospects to Edmonton for Ryan Smyth. Not confirmed by the Isles or on NHL.com yet. If it turns out that this is true, I love the move from the Islanders side. Smyth is a natural goal scorer and will help their PP a TON. Not too sure of his contract status past this season, and that is a big factor in any trade, but he is an excellent addition to the Isles for the stretch run and if Dipietro can be a little more consistant, they could win a round in the playoffs. Nice move by Snow.

just heard more info on this trade...Smyth is a FA at the end of the year, and the Isles gave up their top prospect in Nilsson. If they resign Smyth, then I like this trade alot. The problem is, now they have their top 2 players as FA's at the end of the year, Smyth & Blake. Can't see how they will be able to keep them both. Being that they gave up Nilsson and another top prospect for Smyth, I think he is the one they would have to resign to justify this trade.

Blake or Smyth are gone after the season, since we traded for Smyth I think Blake is the oddman out.

I love Ryan Smyth but not in love with giving up essentially 3 first round draft picks. But he fits NOlan's description to a tee and NOlan was not very high on Nilsson.

Archived