Giants' 'sack pack' has Jets' attention

CobraVerde

Giants' 'sack pack' has Jets' attention

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson didn't catch any of the Giants' 16-3 victory over the Eagles on television Sunday night, going right to sleep upon arriving home from Buffalo. In that game, the Giants bagged an NFL-record-tying 12 sacks and shut down an Eagles offense that had scored 52 points one week earlier.

But word spread quickly through Weeb Ewbank Hall yesterday morning when the Jets reported for meetings and film review. Ferguson soon learned that Giants DE Osi Umenyiora, whom he'll be facing on Sunday, notched a team-record six sacks to lead the onslaught.

It wasn't exactly comforting news.

"You definitely have to pay attention to that," Ferguson said yesterday. "Whatever they (the Giants) were doing or whatever they (the Eagles) didn't do, you have to make sure that this week, it doesn't happen to us. It doesn't matter what it is. Whether it be a particular technique or a scheme."

Asked if he might watch a little more film this week, Ferguson said, "Definitely. I think if somebody warns you the week before I don't think you should say, 'Oh, it just happened to that guy (Winston Justice), not me.' I'm going to study and make sure I put myself in a favorable position to succeed."

Ferguson, who was whistled for two holding penalties in the Jets' 17-14 loss to the Bills, has gone against the likes of Terrell Suggs (Ravens), Jason Taylor (Dolphins) and Aaron Schobel (Bills) this season. He has given up two sacks.

Now, it's Umenyiora. The Jets will likely give Ferguson plenty of help.

Coach Eric Mangini tried to motivate the Jets (1-3) with a story told to him by former NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer, who has 200 wins on his r

Archived